**The Official April 2005 Score Release Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres the format:

PS VR BS Writing Sample Total

Your form

Your expected score range

Your practice scores (including the source: EK, TPR, Kaplan, TBR or AAMC)

Your thoughts (retaking? happy? ecstatic? despondent?)

Please do not post in this thread until scores come out at 10 pm ET June 15.

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
Don't know what state you are in, but if you have decent ECs, and the rest of your application is solid, then the answer would be YES APPLY.

Many people have gotten in with similar stats to you. Apply broad range, schools like Rosalind Franklin and NYMC, Albany, etc. etc.

Apply to state schools where they take 98% in state students and you should be ok. Also apply to schools like Howard, Meharry, etc.

Two good resources for GPA/MCAT and other stuff regarding applying would be the MSAR and the princetonreview website http://www.princetonreview.com

Actually, I am in Florida like you and I go to UF, so what do you think my chances for going to UF would be? That is really where I want to go, plus it is convenient because I have a house in Gainesvill now.

angel03 said:
Actually, I am in Florida like you and I go to UF, so what do you think my chances for going to UF would be? That is really where I want to go, plus it is convenient because I have a house in Gainesvill now.

YAY another Floridian!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ok that aside, down to business.....

I think if the rest of your application package is ok, you should be fine. UF is known for producing some of the most successful premeds in the state of Florida. I would talk to Robyn Sheppard. Since you got a 28, I think you'll be ok unless they tell you to get higher. Some former lawyers that I know of got around that score and were on alternate list at first but eventually got into the med school. I've heard of a few other cases from a friend of people with 28's getting into med school there.

Also, apply to the other Florida schools too. USF, as I've pointed out hundreds of times over the past few days has had people with stats very similar to yours get in left and right this past year.

Some of the cases I know:

Person A: 3.5 25 and 26, with best of subscores from different adminstrations taken into account to count as 28.

Person B: 3.9 and 26

Person C: 3.9 and 28

Person D: 3.7 and 27

Person E: 3.6 and 27

I'm not giving names here, but these are some of my many friends who got in this year at USF. Plus USF has an awesome program.

Miami is the same deal, I've had very good friends do well in the process with as low as a 24 but with a 3.9 GPA get in.

But I would talk specifically to Rel Larkin and Dr. Williams about USF, Dr. Hinkley for Miami, and Robyn Sheppard for UF. They'll be your saving grace. The cool thing about being in Florida is that adcoms are more caring then some of the stories I've heard from other places. Apply to some of the typical safety schools mentioned before, but apply to all the florida schools. Since you are early in the cycle and have decent stats, you'll be ok most likely provided that you have some clinical experience (I.e. shadowing/volunteering and for UF some research). Good luck and call or email those people whom I mentioned above.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS 15 VR 13 BS 11 Writing Sample S Total 39S

Your form: AK

Your expected score range 31-35

Kaplan and AAMC ranged from 32-36

I am ecstatic; I thought I'd never break 36, my highest Kaplan/AAMC Diag, but the physical sciences and verbal boost overcame my mediocre BS section. I plan on applying to mostly MSTPs; although my gpa (3.66) is slightly weak, I have 3 years of research which hopefully will help.

gujuDoc said:
YAY another Floridian!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ok that aside, down to business.....

I think if the rest of your application package is ok, you should be fine. UF is known for producing some of the most successful premeds in the state of Florida. I would talk to Robyn Sheppard. Since you got a 28, I think you'll be ok unless they tell you to get higher. Some former lawyers that I know of got around that score and were on alternate list at first but eventually got into the med school. I've heard of a few other cases from a friend of people with 28's getting into med school there.

Also, apply to the other Florida schools too. USF, as I've pointed out hundreds of times over the past few days has had people with stats very similar to yours get in left and right this past year.

Some of the cases I know:

Person A: 3.5 25 and 26, with best of subscores from different adminstrations taken into account to count as 28.

Person B: 3.9 and 26

Person C: 3.9 and 28

Person D: 3.7 and 27

Person E: 3.6 and 27

I'm not giving names here, but these are some of my many friends who got in this year at USF. Plus USF has an awesome program.

Miami is the same deal, I've had very good friends do well in the process with as low as a 24 but with a 3.9 GPA get in.

But I would talk specifically to Rel Larkin and Dr. Williams about USF, Dr. Hinkley for Miami, and Robyn Sheppard for UF. They'll be your saving grace. The cool thing about being in Florida is that adcoms are more caring then some of the stories I've heard from other places. Apply to some of the typical safety schools mentioned before, but apply to all the florida schools. Since you are early in the cycle and have decent stats, you'll be ok most likely provided that you have some clinical experience (I.e. shadowing/volunteering and for UF some research). Good luck and call or email those people whom I mentioned above.

Yeah I am applying to all the schools in Florida, seeing as we are lucky enough to have 4! Also, I have finished premed in two years...how do you think that affects me? And another questions...my science mcat scores weren't as high as they might want, but I am going to be a study session leader for the teaching center at the University this fall for Biology. This job will make me review the material...so does having that on my resume help me out you think? One more thing haha, I am working at a pharmacy right now during the summer, do you think that might look good as well?

Sorry about all the questions, I am basically the only person of my friends and family that wants to go to med school. :rolleyes:

angel03 said:
Yeah I am applying to all the schools in Florida, seeing as we are lucky enough to have 4! Also, I have finished premed in two years...how do you think that affects me? And another questions...my science mcat scores weren't as high as they might want, but I am going to be a study session leader for the teaching center at the University this fall for Biology. This job will make me review the material...so does having that on my resume help me out you think? One more thing haha, I am working at a pharmacy right now during the summer, do you think that might look good as well?

Sorry about all the questions, I am basically the only person of my friends and family that wants to go to med school. :rolleyes:

Well they are slightly lower then the average scores, but not too shabby. They are both above 8, so that's ok. I would talk to Mr. Larkin. He'll be able to give you good insight. There are 3 ways you can contact him:

A. This message board: he posts as REL
B. [email protected]
C. call his office by looking up the number on USF website.

For UF: Like I said:
A. email Robyn Sheppard
B. Call her

They'll give you the best bet.

For FSU, your scores seem perfect and near their averages. In the past years they have had averages of 25 with no lower then a 7 in a section.

Here's the MSAR data from the 2005-2006 book

So this is the data for 2003-2004 entering class:

USF for 2003 entering class: MCAT scores: PS: 9.9 V:9.5 BS: 10.1
UM for 2003 entering class: MCAT scores: PS 9.3 V: 9.5 BS:10.3
UF for 2003 entering class: MCAT scores: no breakdown given but avg = 30.75 for overall score.
FSU for 2003 entering class: MCAT scores: PS: 9.1 V:7.9 BS: 9.7

Oh and the MSAR has all the contact info for all the Fl. schools.

For you the good thing is that you are applying early. Applying early will make it easier to gain a chance to acceptance then a later applicant.

Also, make sure you have decent ECs such as shadowing and volunteering or some other kind of work in a medical field.

USF absolutely requires that you have had some exposure to the medical field and does not really like people who have no direct patient contact, etc.

Miami's Dr. Hinkley told me this is how they scale applicants to rank them at a medical school forum (If you've been to UF's MCF or MSF, you've probably heard this too)

But here it goes:

about 50 pts = MCAT +GPA
20 pts = direct clinical contact with patients (i.e. volunteering or working in medical field)
10 pts = significant difficulties, if you had any that you had to overcome.
15 pts = letters of recommendation
15 pts. = All other ECs outside of clinical stuff + clinical stuff.
Initial UM screening involves having to have minimum 3.2 gpa or 3.5 postbac if instate. Once secondaries are handed, they are now looking for the more competitive applicants such as the 3.5 and above GPA candidates. Oh and by 3.5+ I mean postbac for those of you who have low overalls but high postbac. For those of you with no postbac, that means your first gpa.

These are the things I've gathered from medical forums attended.

UF: well hate to say it, but your alma mater isn't ever really helpful in telling what they want. Not from most talks I've had with people at these forums and all.

FSU: They look for a diversity of people, but primarily they hope most will go into primary care, etc. to fulfill their mission statement.

Oh and I should probably mention that your alma mater is definitely the hardest Fl. school to get into. I've heard from quite a few former UF grads and USF undergrads that they love love love to put people on hold and then never get back to them about whether they are waitlisted or accepted or rejected. However, that said, I still do know a few people with 28's that got in. So you never know.

Good luck. Hope that gave you some good insight. By the way what are your ECs like? Were you in their AED or AMSA chapter??? Did you have any volunteering at places like Shands or shadowing etc.?? That might give some better perspective.

One more thing, I saw your tid bit about being a pharmtech.......

One of the girls that got accepted from USF to UF med school had a pharm tech and talked a bit about that.

But she also had some volunteer experience at the hospital and some research experience, etc.

What about you??

lundysd said:
PS 15 VR 13 BS 11 Writing Sample S Total 39S

Your form: AK

Your expected score range 31-35

Kaplan and AAMC ranged from 32-36

I am ecstatic; I thought I'd never break 36, my highest Kaplan/AAMC Diag, but the physical sciences and verbal boost overcame my mediocre BS section. I plan on applying to mostly MSTPs; although my gpa (3.66) is slightly weak, I have 3 years of research which hopefully will help.

Good job. As I always say, 9 out of 10 people fall either within their expected range or within +/- 1-2 points of it.

So you fall in the latter category. :thumbup: :thumbup:

For MSTP, with good solid research background and your scores, you definitely have a shot.

registered user said:
34M b!thchES

ecstatic right now! vr 11 ps 11 bs 12 ws M

a frickin' M? what?

form AK

I did not take a course. I studied hard starting at Thanksgiving using EK materials. I took AAMC tests 3-7. Scores ranged from 28 (1st) to 35 (last). I expected 33-36. Very happy with my results. I do wish I had taken some harder practice tests (Kaplan or whatever). I remember feeling very good after each section and at the end of the exam. It all worked out. I don't know about the M, maybe I didn't follow the directions very well. I didn't practice for the WS at all. But who cares about an M anyway.

registered user said:
form AK

I did not take a course. I studied hard starting at Thanksgiving using EK materials. I took AAMC tests 3-7. Scores ranged from 28 (1st) to 35 (last). I expected 33-36. Very happy with my results. I do wish I had taken some harder practice tests (Kaplan or whatever). I remember feeling very good after each section and at the end of the exam. It all worked out. I don't know about the M, maybe I didn't follow the directions very well. I didn't practice for the WS at all. But who cares about an M anyway.

Don't worry about having an M in writing. Unless it is extremely low, they won't really care. That's what I have heard from students and adcoms.

M is the very beginning of the average category. So you are ok. Good job.

wow, this thread is making me feel dumb, so many 36-40 people!
good job everyone!

jtank said:
wow, this thread is making me feel dumb, so many 36-40 people!
good job everyone!

Come on now.......you did a GREAT JOB on the MCAT.

Anything 33+ is good because it is 90th percentile and above.

Not just anyone gets a 34, so be proud of your score.

Oh and the only reason you see the higher scores in here is because all the people that did below you probably won't post in here due to the dejection of seeing a lower score. A lot of people get real down and seeing people with higher scores really makes them more down. So don't think your score is bad. I know you think that you could have done a couple of points better, but at the end of the day when the acceptances occur, you'll look back and think of it as nothing but a past memory.

gujuDoc said:
Don't worry about having an M in writing. Unless it is extremely low, they won't really care. That's what I have heard from students and adcoms.

M is the very beginning of the average category. So you are ok. Good job.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not really worried about. I actually think its quite funny, I mean English is my first language and I'm not a bad writer. I would think the 11 in VR and my, I don't mind if I do say so, kicka$$ personal statement easily override the M.
When I saw my scores I jumped up and down yelling for a minute or so, and then began laughing about the M :laugh: . Anyways, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
One more thing, I saw your tid bit about being a pharmtech.......

One of the girls that got accepted from USF to UF med school had a pharm tech and talked a bit about that.

But she also had some volunteer experience at the hospital and some research experience, etc.

What about you??

I have volunteered at Shands Florida Surgical Center and I also have done some research. I am in Golden Key and I also did this Writing on the Wall project this year. So I have a couple of different things that I have done. I have also been involved in volunteering at an Adult Daycare Center for years. Also this summer a vascular surgeon said he would allow me to do rounds with him at the hospital and that he would write a letter on my behalf if I needed it. Those are the things that I can think of right now. Does that help?

angel03 said:
I have volunteered at Shands Florida Surgical Center and I also have done some research. I am in Golden Key and I also did this Writing on the Wall project this year. So I have a couple of different things that I have done. I have also been involved in volunteering at an Adult Daycare Center for years. Also this summer a vascular surgeon said he would allow me to do rounds with him at the hospital and that he would write a letter on my behalf if I needed it. Those are the things that I can think of right now. Does that help?

Oh ok. Those ECs sound good and definitely put you in a good position with the Florida schools. Talk to the admissions people I told you to talk to and see what they say. In USF and UF's case, I know they take appointments but can also be reached by email. So see what they say.

registered user said:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not really worried about. I actually think its quite funny, I mean English is my first language and I'm not a bad writer. I would think the 11 in VR and my, I don't mind if I do say so, kicka$$ personal statement easily override the M.
When I saw my scores I jumped up and down yelling for a minute or so, and then began laughing about the M :laugh: . Anyways, thanks.

Definitely agree that the writing section is not anything to worry about. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: at your reaction to your scores. I would be jumping up and down if I got a 34 as well.

:laugh: :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. Those ECs sound good and definitely put you in a good position with the Florida schools. Talk to the admissions people I told you to talk to and see what they say. In USF and UF's case, I know they take appointments but can also be reached by email. So see what they say.
Thanks. I appreciate you helping me out with my questions :D

Boo hoo :-D
You guys didnt like my "custom" avatar?
All right, I'll try and find a better one than this.

gujuDoc said:
Would you believe that........

that particular avatar is part of the typical SDN standard avatars that you can choose from???? Maybe we should tell the adminstrators that we should get rid of it!!!!! ;) ;)

Sust said:
Boo hoo :-D
You guys didnt like my "custom" avatar?
All right, I'll try and find a better one than this.

I was just messing with ya, but I think the others didn't like it. The only reason I don't like it is because I remember this troll last year by the name of Squat n Squeeze who claimed to have a 44T and gotten into both HMS New pathway and HST programs. He was really an a**hole. Anyhow, everytime I see that avatar now, it reminds me of him because that was the first I'd seen that particular avatar. So that's my reason for not liking it. However, I was just messing with you and don't really mind what you use for your avatar.

angel03 said:
Thanks. I appreciate you helping me out with my questions :D

No problema. I'm always up to give my 2 cents, especially to me fellow Floridians!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

YAY FOR FLORIDA!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ok I'm just being silly. But seriously, I feel lucky that we are in a state with some awesome med school admissions people and where there are abundant opportunities compared to some of the other states/schools out there.

And what I said earlier about UF being one of the best in producing successful applicants, I meant it. Between all their abundant research opportunities, volunter opportunities, well developed and organized chapters of AED and Premed AMSA(AMSA having an abundant number of people in national officer positions including former national premed trustee---Jenn Jackson), etc., I think most students will find much good coming out of UF undergrad. Furthermore, they have more well developed advising offices which are of better help then at some schools, and their professors are much more structured and organized----this is what a friend of mine who started at UF and then came to USF told me. I can believe it because my brother went to UF so I know how it was there too. But overall, coming out of UF, and having taken advantage of their numerous opportunities, I think you should be fine. Since you seem to have enough clinical experience and other volunteer experience, etc. you are more likely then not ok in the rest of your app. Your MCAT may be a few points less the average but is still very good and competitive for Fl. schools, so just make sure to get everything in on time and early. When you get your secondaries, start them ASAP and try to get them done as soon as possible. July 6th is the day med schools start looking at the apps, and soon after secondaries will roll in. Then interviews start around September. Join us in preallo if you have further questions. There's a lot of useful links there on filling out the amcas, secondaries, filling out work activities section, letters of recommendation, etc.

Congrats to everyone!!! It's a mission just sitting through that exam! And thank you all for sharing your scores and experiences. Here are mine...

PS 5
BS 9
VR 8
WS Q
22Q

I don't think that I'm going to take again in August because I'm not sure that I can raise my score by 8 points with 2 months to study. Also, I don't want to submit "late" apps in september. What do y'all think?

I'll bite the bullet and put in mine:

PS 8
VR 9
WS N
BS 10
27 N

I was hesitant to post mine before just cause there were so many 33+ posted on here. But I'm satisfied with my score b/c of my breakdown, and I won't be retaking this August.

chaeymaey said:
I'll bite the bullet and put in mine:

PS 8
VR 9
WS N
BS 10
27 N

I was hesitant to post mine before just cause there were so many 33+ posted on here. But I'm satisfied with my score b/c of my breakdown, and I won't be retaking this August.

same breakdown as me!! :) i got the same on all except WS where I got an O (not much difference there hehe)

Seedars said:
Congrats to everyone!!! It's a mission just sitting through that exam! And thank you all for sharing your scores and experiences. Here are mine...

PS 5
BS 9
VR 8
WS Q
22Q

I don't think that I'm going to take again in August because I'm not sure that I can raise my score by 8 points with 2 months to study. Also, I don't want to submit "late" apps in september. What do y'all think?

I think that is a good idea to take it in April next year instead. I took it last August and got a similar PS score to yours. One point higher, actually. I went up to a 9 in the PS section this year by doing a lot of practice problems etc. from workbooks and things. Also, I looked at it in a much more conceptual manner by trying to interrelate concepts from different chapters and thinking about how different variables relate to one another beyond plug and chug kind of math. In other words, thinking about how graphing two variables look, understanding what happens when you decrease or increase a factor, etc. helped a great deal. Being able to relate different concepts to each other such as relating boyle's law P1V1 = P2V2 to the ideas of E1 = E2 made things easier to undersand. That's just an example. But overall, I think PS is the easiest to bring up if you put the time and effort to it through workbooks, etc. I recommend getting the TPR workbook froms someone in the course, also their inclass compendium. Other good sources are EK 1001 ? books for discrete questions for the purposes of understanding how much you know the knowledge. Also, Kaplan stuff is good.

For passages, the TPR stuff mentioned earlier is good plus the EK 16 mini MCATs and AAMC tests, Kaplan tests, TPR tests, and Ek tests.

If you can get a hold of that, you should be ok in bringing up the sciences. Assess what you were not getting and try to improve on your weaknesses. If its strategy that's the issue, think about how you studied the first time. If memorizing is what you did, then try to go beyond the memorization and try to intertwine the concepts. If it was that you had a particular subject that was weak, then try to focus on understanding that particular subject or topic. Good luck.

Guju, thanks for the advice. Part of my stress is that I've been out of school for about 4-5 yrs now (making me a non-traditional student now i guess) and I'm worried that if I wait til next april then I won't actually be starting this journey until i'm well into my late 20's (28 to be exact). I know this sounds dumb because you should go after your dream no matter what, but I'd be lying if I said that piece of the equation isn't messing with me. Anybody else in this boat? Where is the non-traditional student forum anyway?

Seedars said:
Guju, thanks for the advice. Part of my stress is that I've been out of school for about 4-5 yrs now (making me a non-traditional student now i guess) and I'm worried that if I wait til next april then I won't actually be starting this journey until i'm well into my late 20's (28 to be exact). I know this sounds dumb because you should go after your dream no matter what, but I'd be lying if I said that piece of the equation isn't messing with me. Anybody else in this boat? Where is the non-traditional student forum anyway?

Late 20's isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have several friends here in the age range of 28-40 starting med school. The average age of an applicant is 24 so that includes some older and some younger. Don't worry if it takes one more year. It will be worth it a lot to take a year off and to get the things you don't understand well with better understanding and go in there more confident. You can bring your score up 6-9 points if you put hard work into it. I've seen it done several times and went up 6 pts from when I first took it too. I may take it one more time to bring up verbal, but for now I have enough to get into the Master's program I want to do first.

By the way the nontrad forum is way towards the bottom of the boards. Its farther down beyond both premed forums and medical school forums. Might even be below all the international forums.

Again, thanks for the info. It's something that I have to consider since I'm looking to get into ortho surg. That's a long rode and lord knows that I want to start a family at some point during that haul.

What's the masters program in?

Seedars said:
Again, thanks for the info. It's something that I have to consider since I'm looking to get into ortho surg. That's a long rode and lord knows that I want to start a family at some point during that haul.

What's the masters program in?

1 year master's program in Pharmacology or the medical micro program or new USF SMP. Those are the programs that I'm considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.