The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Second practice test is in! Result is significant increase in BS because that's all I've been studying lately haha.

Kaplan Test #2: 10 PS/ 9 VR/ 13 BS. And I totally got every question wrong in one of those VR passages, I knew I wasn't feeling it.
Awesome score!!! Almost a 35+!!

Hi all!
I just finished a Spring Break MCAT Study group where we all put in ~50 hrs. of work in the library and took two Practice MCATs. I disappointingly went from a 34 to 29, but the second test we took was Kaplan's free online practice test--which apparently everyone agrees is just pure :bullcrap:... But despite what seems to be a consensus that it's not a good indicator for Test-Day, I'm planning on putting my nose right back to the grindstone. As a grad who is just taking part-time classes at a different university, I'm having trouble finding a good study buddy here. Is anyone who's really ready to get at it interested in being an accountability partner? These forums are great--but I just don't check them every day, so I'm interested in having a texting-buddy to make sure we're both staying on track. I'm a hard-ass and I'll certainly keep you in line, I'm just looking for someone to help me do the same.

I'd be interested in doing something like that. I'm keeping to a pretty rigorous schedule as well, and it wouldn't hurt to have someone right alongside me doing that too! I'm also taking part time classes as well as trying to get to my target score in a couple weeks.

PM me!

Also, I took a third practice test and got the same score as before (32, so I'm back to the grind to try and bump up that PS. I think the key is that I wasted a ton of time on one passage too early on, I should've done the other ones before trying to get those questions all right. Lessons learned, but that's what practice is for!

Hi all!
I just finished a Spring Break MCAT Study group where we all put in ~50 hrs. of work in the library and took two Practice MCATs. I disappointingly went from a 34 to 29, but the second test we took was Kaplan's free online practice test--which apparently everyone agrees is just pure :bullcrap:... But despite what seems to be a consensus that it's not a good indicator for Test-Day, I'm planning on putting my nose right back to the grindstone. As a grad who is just taking part-time classes at a different university, I'm having trouble finding a good study buddy here. Is anyone who's really ready to get at it interested in being an accountability partner? These forums are great--but I just don't check them every day, so I'm interested in having a texting-buddy to make sure we're both staying on track. I'm a hard-ass and I'll certainly keep you in line, I'm just looking for someone to help me do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
"If the MCAT was a kitten, I would kick it....in the face" - Tired/Stressed Premed student

Continue as you were.

*(Ps-I would never actually kick a kitten,nor puppy...well maybe a Pug,those things are ugly)

Hi all!

I'm definitely interested! I'm ready to kick it into full gear these last couple of weeks (5.5, but who's counting?). If more that just the three of us, including the poster right after you, are interested, we can make something on like a GroupMe chat. Anyway, PM me if you're still interested!

Hey guys, maybe it's more relevant to ask here since we're all writing on the same day. Im sort of in a fork on my pathway between deciding what's the most effective, with no time to make a mistake. Hope Im not too late. How are you guys going about these last weeks? To avoid re-writes, here is my dilemma I posted earlier with no reply. Let me know what you guys have heard/feel is more effective. I already rescheduled once due to poor planning, and already fed up with this MCAT, really want it out of the way :(

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/please-can-i-get-some-urgent-help-scheduling.1060541/

Thanks!

Hi all!

I'm also down for that study group.
I'm at that stage where I thought I was going great for 3 practice tests (too good to be true) and then bombed my 4th, and did bad on a practice PS section yesterday. Sooo, yeah I can definitely use a study group.

A little upset today. Scored a 26 (9/9/8) on my first AAMC FL, AAMC3. Have been consistently scoring 10's on the TPR bio FLs.

Took my second AAMC FL (4) a week later, scored a balanced 10/9/10 for a 29. Checked the scaling, and I was 1 question away from an 11 on PS and 10 on VR...that feel when 2 questions from a 31 lol. Either way, as long as I'm improving I can't be upset. Will settle for a 27+ (although my ultimate goal is a 31) as I'll be applying strictly to DO programs.

Took my second AAMC FL (4) a week later, scored a balanced 10/9/10 for a 29. Checked the scaling, and I was 1 question away from an 11 on PS and 10 on VR...that feel when 2 questions from a 31 lol. Either way, as long as I'm improving I can't be upset. Will settle for a 27+ (although my ultimate goal is a 31) as I'll be applying strictly to DO programs.

If your reaching into MD level MCAT scores, how come your only applying to DO? Just curious.

If your reaching into MD level MCAT scores, how come your only applying to DO? Just curious.

I'm a fan of the DO philosophy and have a desire to practice broad scope family medicine in a relatively rural setting. I personally feel as if I fit the mission of osteopathic programs better.

Just finished taking GS3 and scored 10/9/9- 28. PS was rather calculation heavy. VR felt weird as hell. BS was... BS.

All in all, I am certainly pleased to see that there is a slight increase in my composite score with each test I take (except TPR full lengths, those are brutal). Yet to hit a 30 though, so I have some work to do. Next FL will be Princeton Cracking 1 on Saturday. Good luck with studying, everyone. 5 weeks and 2 days remaining, let's make the most of it.

I finished my 4th Kaplan practice test today and got to a 34! I think I'm going to start switching up practice tests with either EK or TPR next for variation's sake. I finished the Kaplan course material and so now I'm going to go through everything again in the TPR class books.

I'm keeping track of my answers as part of my post-game analysis and I'm still making a ton of careless errors or thinking about things the opposite way, but I guess that will just come with practice. Timing-wise things are good, I always finish BS early, so I need to actually write out the reactions going on to be able to make fewer mistakes since I have the time. I also broke out from my string of 9's on VR to an 11, so I'm happy about that, I think one thing that helps is answering questions out of order, doing the easier ones first and then the tough ones at the end because by that point I might've developed a better understanding about the passage. I also have a spidey sense about when I think answers are wrong, so I should listen to that more.

Can't believe it's in 5 weeks! Got a lot more to go!

Last edited:
Share away my friend. Those pointers always help regardless. How are your practice exams now and what are you doing differently? :)

My break down for AAMC 3 was PS:6/VR;7/BS:7

It may be hard to believe but I scored the EXACT same thing on AAMC #5

Please share your tips and tricks. Thank you kindly!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my 4th Kaplan practice test today and got to a 34! I think I'm going to start switching up practice tests with either EK or TPR next for variation's sake. I finished the Kaplan course material and so now I'm going to go through everything again in the TPR class books.

I'm keeping track of my answers as part of my post-game analysis and I'm still making a ton of careless errors or thinking about things the opposite way, but I guess that will just come with practice. Timing-wise things are good, I always finish BS early, so I need to actually write out the reactions going on to be able to make fewer mistakes since I have the time. I also broke out from my string of 9's on VR to an 11, so I'm happy about that, I think one thing that helps is answering questions out of order, doing the easier ones first and then the tough ones at the end because by that point I might've developed a better understanding about the passage. I also have a spidey sense about when I think answers are wrong, so I should listen to that more.

Can't believe it's in 2 weeks! Got a lot more to go!

That's a nice score, congrats. How did you prep? Did you do all the Kaplan BS, PS sections tests, topical etc before FLs?

Thanks! I've been keeping up with the course syllabus so I've done those tests as prescribed there, haven't done any outside of that although I probably should get those done too!

Thanks! I've been keeping up with the course syllabus so I've done those tests as prescribed there, haven't done any outside of that although I probably should get those done too!

You've only been doing Kaplan FLs? Or AAMC also?
I was doing well on Kaplan and then bombed #3. How did you feel about that one vs. AAMC #4?

I haven't done an AAMC yet, I should probably do one, maybe on Friday to get the real Litmus test going.

I somehow did them out of order and did best on Kaplan #3. I was planning on doing the AAMCs starting at #5 and leaving the later ones for last.

You've only been doing Kaplan FLs? Or AAMC also?
I was doing well on Kaplan and then bombed #3. How did you feel about that one vs. AAMC #4?

So many stupid mistakes, like clicking the wrong answer on my PS section. Honestly, there's no reason why I shouldn't have gotten a 12 on PS. Unfortunately, we're all prone to making stupid mistakes on test day too...gotta eliminate those now before it actually counts.

I know im horrendously late but I should be finished with content review by next Saturday. Finishing Ek organic by this weekend. Starting April, I plan to do as many Berkley passages as possible after work. Dedicating myself to a different subject each day throughout the week and doing an AAMC practice test every Saturday. Not sure how efficient this will be, but it fits in my schedule. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

.... I may try to do atleast 2 Verbal passages a day and incorporate 2 more AAMC test in somehow.

How is everyone's progress!? I'm in need of some encouragement! Maybe some one is in in my shoes (Fingers crossed :/)

Long story short - Im writing Apr 24. I rescheduled in Jan. due to my low AAMC 3/4 scores. I knew the game plan but I didnt execute properly (brb beating myself up). Anyway, after taking a few weeks of passive studying (unmotivated) by mid-feb I started becoming serious to actively start studying for the weaknesses / redo content, and add few more practice passages. It went alright- till I noticed I was deeply missing much content, so I took longer than I thought.

Earlier this week I planned my last month- filled with TBR/TPR passages and AAMC's in between. I lined up the topics from my weakness to strength so I give more time to weakness. I thought I could do about 2/3 of Physics/Bio/Chem and verbal test one day AND review, then next day same thing but switch chem for orgo. (BOY WAS I OFF)!!! Keep in mind that Ive done a hybrid with TBR and TPR, so some chapters Ive already done the first 1/3, some I practiced before using TPR only, and now doing TBR from fresh (which is why I was doing 2/3 - to fit in more questions- but taking up time)

I started with Physics Waves/Periodic motion and Lights chapter...It had me up the A$$ to say the least- I got ~50% on the 2/3 of the TBR passages in those chapters. I thought I can review those passages quick too, but with those many mistakes, I spent an entire half day reviewing Waves/periodic motion all over again as I was rusty (havent covered them since January). So I feel good that I took a long time out for post-game analysis while doing 2/3 of the passages - but 1. Im still feel very shaky on those chapters so a review of those is a must! 2. I didnt even follow my plan for doing all I had in mind per day. I guess I was really pushing it with practice....oh and 3. My timing is off by ~2 mins on each passage for those chapters. (I feel like TBR physics is kinda hard - but maybe its with some stuff Im weak on.)
Im hoping it gets better down the road as I started with my weaknesses - but I need to fit other chapters in too during the day for practice.

- Should I just do 1/3 of the passages at a time (for the remaining chapters) to fit in more subjects/practice per day? I really wanted lots of practice in.
- Im going to be re-doing aamc 4 April 1st, then do the rest of my aamc's in the middle of that month up to the day of, with review and extra passages in between, i just wanted to use these extra days to put all my content into deeper practice and put myself in time pressure, and relearn all forgotten in post-game.
My concern is - I shouldn't be score this low this late into the game don't you think? how are you guys scoring with TBR recently? what's your last month schedule look like? Should I be concerned or keep working hard just to get the feel and proper mindset while doing effective studying/learning on post-game?
(These couple chapters were my weakness & was rusty, so maybe I shouldn't be that discouraged? :S ) Please share thanks!

Last edited:
How is everyone's progress!? I'm in need of some encouragement! Maybe some one is in in my shoes (Fingers crossed :/)

Long story short - Im writing Apr 24. I rescheduled in Jan. due to my low AAMC 3/4 scores. I knew the game plan but I didnt execute properly (brb beating myself up). Anyway, after taking a few weeks of passive studying (unmotivated) by mid-feb I started becoming serious to actively start studying for the weaknesses / redo content, and add few more practice passages. It went alright- till I noticed I was deeply missing much content, so I took longer than I thought.

Earlier this week I planned my last month- filled with TBR/TPR passages and AAMC's in between. I lined up the topics from my weakness to strength so I give more time to weakness. I thought I could do about 2/3 of Physics/Bio/Chem and verbal test one day AND review, then next day same thing but switch chem for orgo. (BOY WAS I OFF)!!! Keep in mind that Ive done a hybrid with TBR and TPR, so some chapters Ive already done the first 1/3, some I practiced before using TPR only, and now doing TBR from fresh (which is why I was doing 2/3 - to fit in more questions- but taking up time)

I started with Physics Waves/Periodic motion and Lights chapter...It had me up the A$$ to say the least- I got ~50% on the 2/3 of the TBR passages in those chapters. I thought I can review those passages quick too, but with those many mistakes, I spent an entire half day reviewing Waves/periodic motion all over again as I was rusty (havent covered them since January). So I feel good that I took a long time out for post-game analysis while doing 2/3 of the passages - but 1. Im still feel very shaky on those chapters so a review of those is a must! 2. I didnt even follow my plan for doing all I had in mind per day. I guess I was really pushing it with practice....oh and 3. My timing is off by ~2 mins on each passage for those chapters. (I feel like TBR physics is kinda hard - but maybe its with some stuff Im weak on.)
Im hoping it gets better down the road as I started with my weaknesses - but I need to fit other chapters in too during the day for practice.

- Should I just do 1/3 of the passages at a time (for the remaining chapters) to fit in more subjects/practice per day? I really wanted lots of practice in.
- Im going to be re-doing aamc 4 April 1st, then do the rest of my aamc's in the middle of that month up to the day of, with review and extra passages in between, i just wanted to use these extra days to put all my content into deeper practice and put myself in time pressure, and relearn all forgotten in post-game.
My concern is - I shouldn't be score this low this late into the game don't you think? how are you guys scoring with TBR recently? what's your last month schedule look like? Should I be concerned or keep working hard just to get the feel and proper mindset while doing effective studying/learning on post-game?
(These couple chapters were my weakness & was rusty, so maybe I shouldn't be that discouraged? :S ) Please share thanks!

Hi,

Not going to lie, I skimmed a lot of your message because It's almost bedtime. He're my suggestion. I just finished up my content review today. I was following a modified SN2ed's schedule. I ran into trouble with light and geometric optics and decided that I'd spend the good part of today re-reading TBR/TPR material on optics and redoing problems. That, however, didn't help me.

What made the difference was was watching Wikipremed videos by John Wetzel. The videos are free and explained geometric optics quickly and concisely. Now, optics is cake. I haven't watched his videos on Waves/Periodic motion yet because, except for optics, I've been going subject by subject just to keep concepts fresh.

Give his videos a try and see if that helps. Also, maybe stick to just TPR or TBR instead of switching. They have different styles and switching back and forth probably won't help your confidence. But definitely keep practicing but be mindful not to waste your AAMC's

Last edited:
Welp just blew my first AAMC #5. Back to the drawing board folks! Went back down to where I started-27.

So finished TPR review tests and now on TPR cracking tests, after which will try the real thing, I am taking two tests a week now on and spend two days or so breaking them down. Good Luck to all of you! :)

Welp just blew my first AAMC #5. Back to the drawing board folks! Went back down to where I started-27.

What was your breakdown/weakest area compared to the last Kaplan test you took? I blowed my last 2 Kaplan test, curious about how Kaplan Test differ from the AAMCs

What was your breakdown/weakest area compared to the last Kaplan test you took? I blowed my last 2 Kaplan test, curious about how Kaplan Test differ from the AAMCs

Blew my last Kaplan (9, 10, 10), did ok on AAMC #8 after (10, 13, 10). AAMC questions were sooo much easier for PS, but the curve was really tight so you couldn't slip up at all. That being said, recent test takers (Jan '14 and today) say PS is way more Kaplan like than AAMC, meaning calculation heavy. So don't really on anything but AAMC 11 and your comfort with Kaplan PS (not the score though) as a strong indicator.

Blew my last Kaplan (9, 10, 10), did ok on AAMC #8 after (10, 13, 10). AAMC questions were sooo much easier for PS, but the curve was really tight so you couldn't slip up at all. That being said, recent test takers (Jan '14 and today) say PS is way more Kaplan like than AAMC, meaning calculation heavy. So don't really on anything but AAMC 11 and your comfort with Kaplan PS (not the score though) as a strong indicator.

Nice VR! Any tips?

Nice VR! Any tips?
Disclaimer: I am not that great at Verbal, I usually get 10-11; sometimes 9 on EK.

For verbal a few things have helped me (other than pure luck):

1) zoom out, don't stick your head into the passage to understand every phrase. Cuz you lose focus on what the point of the sentence is
2) zooming out helps you speed up
3) you need absolute laser focus. when you zoom out and read you have to actively think about every sentence your reading as you go. even if it means stopping for 1 second between sentence not to reread, but to comprehend. Sentences that you understood, don't stop for more than a second otherwise you risk zooming in.

The rest is just practice to get a feel for those out of scope questions - you just know that it's not what the passage was looking for.

I started alternating Kaplan and EK timed tests because each has its own benefits that come together nicely.

Disclaimer: I am not that great at Verbal, I usually get 10-11; sometimes 9 on EK.

For verbal a few things have helped me (other than pure luck):

1) zoom out, don't stick your head into the passage to understand every phrase. Cuz you lose focus on what the point of the sentence is
2) zooming out helps you speed up
3) you need absolute laser focus. when you zoom out and read you have to actively think about every sentence your reading as you go. even if it means stopping for 1 second between sentence not to reread, but to comprehend. Sentences that you understood, don't stop for more than a second otherwise you risk zooming in.

The rest is just practice to get a feel for those out of scope questions - you just know that it's not what the passage was looking for.

I started alternating Kaplan and EK timed tests because each has its own benefits that come together nicely.

Yeah it makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to "zoom out" like you mentioned. Do you find yourself going back to the passage often or no for detailed questions? Thanks for the advice, will try it next time and see how it goes. And it's true, people hate on Kaplan verbal but it definitely has its advantages.

Yeah it makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to "zoom out" like you mentioned. Do you find yourself going back to the passage often or no for detailed questions? Thanks for the advice, will try it next time and see how it goes. And it's true, people hate on Kaplan verbal but it definitely has its advantages.

I go back a lot actually (sometimes too much). I realized in the past few FL (AAMC/Kaplan) that if you highlight things that will serve as "markers" and pay close attention to where things are while you read, you can find MANY answers right there in the passage. Btw that goes for verbal and bio, and apparently new tests are becoming more verbal-like in all sections.

Edit: I rarely go back to reread a whole paragraph though because I didnt understand it or something - i try to understand the overall message as I read the first run. However, I go back to those "markers "because I know that it's where the answer they want is.

Last edited:
I go back a lot actually (sometimes too much). I realized in the past few FL (AAMC/Kaplan) that if you highlight things that will serve as "markers" and pay close attention to where things are while you read, you can find MANY answers right there in the passage. Btw that goes for verbal and bio, and apparently new tests are becoming more verbal-like in all sections.

Yeah and kaplan bio passages are exactly like that too. They can make Bio especially very verbal-like.

Same break down as my first practice test basically 9/8/10. I made a ton of dumb mistakes which definitely cost you when the curve is tight so that's really good to know.

Also my timing is pretty spot on which is good. I had 20 extra minutes ok BS so I need to slow down to avoid careless errors.

Knowing that I'm feeling good. Still wary about verbal, I think I just need to practice more and really analyze why I'm picking the answers I am.

How have you been doing on PS on Kaplan and AAMC? I am having some trouble improving there.

It's been alright. 9-10-11 range. I sometimes try to make educated guesses on calc. questions, which I should kinda stop doing and actually try to solve the problem seeing how you could actually get a heavy-cal. AAMC. While doing that, it buys me time.

One thing I will say is do extensive post-game. Tell your brain that "hey look this was a simple concept here, why didn't you pick up on it" ahah lol this really helps because you kinda build an inner confidence in yourself. You know all the concept, you just have to make it simple.

You'll be fine, hopefully by April 24th we will be ready. Practice, post-game, practice...

Also kaplan PS is meant to be hard, I don't care if I get 30% on Kaplan, as long as I can use that knowledge to get 12 on AAMC, I will take it.

So a friend of mine just took the MCAT today and said that the test was more like the Kaplan tests in terms of difficulty rather than the AAMCs. That's so frustrating! She focused on the AAMCs and said that it probably would be better to focus on the Kaplan tests because of the way the questions were.

I guess it's basically going to be like the Kaplan tests, except the curve is way tighter. Fantastic!

So a friend of mine just took the MCAT today and said that the test was more like the Kaplan tests in terms of difficulty rather than the AAMCs. That's so frustrating! She focused on the AAMCs and said that it probably would be better to focus on the Kaplan tests because of the way the questions were.

I guess it's basically going to be like the Kaplan tests, except the curve is way tighter. Fantastic!

What a nightmare

Ugh, got ROCKED on TPR 3 today. 20-7/6/7. My last 2 full lengths have been:
AAMC 5- 27- 10/9/8
GS3- 28- 10/9/9

How does one go from a 28 to a 20??? These Princeton tests really mess up my morale. No time to b*tch, though. Back to the drawing board.

Planning to do at least two full length exams during my spring break to determine whether I'm going to take it or reschedule. Been running behind on my content review and just started Chad's videos for orgo, but we'll see how the practice tests go. Doing Kaplan FL 1 tomorrow and AAMC 3 later in the week.

Haven't been here much lately but keep up the good work guys! I know we're all going to do fantastic, just keep practicing and keep the confidence! #Team30+:clap:

Same break down as my first practice test basically 9/8/10. I made a ton of dumb mistakes which definitely cost you when the curve is tight so that's really good to know.

Also my timing is pretty spot on which is good. I had 20 extra minutes ok BS so I need to slow down to avoid careless errors.

Knowing that I'm feeling good. Still wary about verbal, I think I just need to practice more and really analyze why I'm picking the answers I am.

Thank you for sharing. I would love to be able to finish a section with 20minutes left to spare! So would you say the AAMC's are similar to Kaplan,just with a much tighter grading scale?

Ugh, got ROCKED on TPR 3 today. 20-7/6/7. My last 2 full lengths have been:
AAMC 5- 27- 10/9/8
GS3- 28- 10/9/9

How does one go from a 28 to a 20??? These Princeton tests really mess up my morale. No time to b*tch, though. Back to the drawing board.

Sound like me with Kaplan Test.lol
AAMC3-27
Kaplan FL1- 20

Appreciate the advice. I guess I have to get more Kaplan FLs. PS is my worse subject by far, I dred reviewing it more but I guess it can't be helped. :bang:

Just completed the PS Self-Assessment in about 3.5hrs (3hrs 11min + recheck time): 60% sigh. I wouldn't have minded 67-70%

I wish there was a concrete method for approaching this absurd test. Thankfully I've only got 1mo left to go!

Took AAMC #7 today and got straight 11's for my best raw score yet (121/144)! I made way fewer silly mistakes and timing was good. Feeling much better! Definitely going to mark the AAMC #5 to nerves. I was anticipating driving back from spring break (6 hour drive) today I had no rush after my test so I think that contributed to my silly mistakes.

More practice tests ahead!

Reactions: 1 users
Took AAMC #7 today and got straight 11's for my best raw score yet (121/144)! I made way fewer silly mistakes and timing was good. Feeling much better! Definitely going to mark the AAMC #5 to nerves. I was anticipating driving back from spring break (6 hour drive) today I had no rush after my test so I think that contributed to my silly mistakes.

More practice tests ahead!

Hey! what has helped you most with PS?

I think the best thing is focusing on relationships and basic equations has helped the most. Also I'm bad at electrochem and acid/base so I reviewed that stuff carefully.