The Official April 5th, 2014 MCAT Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
139 days!

You know, for a couple of weeks I thought I would just not subscribe to any particular SDN MCAT thread. Figured it wasn't necessary. But, frankly, knowing that there are other people out there--pissed about not remembering values for logs, and trying to sort out where epinephrine is secreted from ("Was that the adrenal cortex... or adrenal medulla?")--makes this slog towards test date bearable :)

Best of luck, fellow lost souls!

(P.S...... it's from the medulla ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 4/5
Post-Test Expected Score: 33-38
Full Length Scores:

GS1:
GS2: 32
GS3: Skipped
GS4: 36
GS5: 34
GS6: 36
GS7: 35
GS8: 34
GS9: 30
GS10: 35
AAMC 3: 33
AAMC 4: 35
AAMC 10: 38
AAMC 11: 37

Actual Score: 37 (14 PS/11 V/12 BS)
Comments:

This isn't the first time I took the MCAT. For my first test, I prepared by taking a Kaplan course at my local university. Looking back, I didn't put in enough effort in my studies... whenever a big block of info came up, the first thought that came to my mind was "Oh, the test makers will never expect a student to know that. It's probably not going to be tested on the exam." Well, when I took the MCAT on August 22, there were a ton of discretes that seemed to come from the huge lists of info in my book that I disregarded. When I left the exam room, I felt like really bad about that test, but I had nothing to compare it with so I was still optimistic. I got my score back, it was a 30, and naturally I was disappointed.

I was angry for a while, but I decided to retake the test on April 5th. I used SN2ed's plan, which I found posted on another thread in this very internet forum. I modified it a little bit by cutting out some break days and not using the EK 1001 series. I finished reading all of the books in about 1 month and a half finishing at the end of January. I spent the next 3 months until April doing the GS full lengths, then the AAMC full lengths.

There is a funny story when I was taking the MCAT. Halfway through my BS section, I distinctly remember moving my foot a little. At the same moment that this happens, my computer monitor goes black. It was weird, but when I looked down near my foot there were no wires at all... so i'm still not sure how my computer turned blank. My heart started racing and I walk up to the proctor and tell her what happened. She comes back and wiggles my computer monitor a bit, says something along the lines of "I bet you accidentally kicked the plug off" and leaves to let another test taker sign out. So i'm sitting at my desk, scared and confused and she casually comes walking back and says "what, did you kick off the plug again?" (since the screen was still blank, but it never got fixed in the first place!) If this were any other day i'd have yelled at her, but I don't remember saying anything. She had to restart the entire computer, and the screen came back up to let me finish. Fortunately, all the answers were saved... but I lost around 5 minutes since she had to let another test taker out rather than deal with my problem (I wasn't keeping exact track of the time). I feel like if this didn't happen to me, I would have gotten 1-2 points higher on my BS.

When I got out of that test, the feeling was completely different from the first. After the first test, I felt ambiguous and was mainly hoping for a generous curve. After the second test, I knew I did really well. I actually posted my initial feelings on this thread in the past, so I won't go into that.

I got a 37, so i'm really happy because it makes me competitive enough to get into my dream school. My advice for people who didn't do as well as they think they did on this exam is retake if you think you can really motivate yourself to study a lot harder. Use the SN2ed plan and do a ton of practice tests (I recommend GS, since they are cheap and pretty good). Finally, the MCAT might just be a single test, but it is a very important one so spend the extra hour or two to memorize those darn formulas or biology terms-they were on my MCAT discretes so many times!

Thank you!

Congrats!
How were your GS FL verbal compared to aamc/real ones? are they too easy?
Is there a reason why you skipped GS 3? Did GS FL help you prepare well?

If the rest of your app is good, I would leave it but if you're worried about the 7 you could retake it. But this idea of being screened out b/c of it...idk..i feel 7 is okay, considering it's the most diff. For test takers overall.. My gpa isn't that great, but Id keep those scores if I were you. If you do retake, gl! I def. Am worried about VR, b/c it is my lowest overall, but anyways, if you do retake, join the June 13th group with me!

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to talk to a pre-med advisor about it, but I will probably end up retaking. Good luck on june 13, I hope you do well on VR!

Damn, was really pulling for you. Still a solid score though. I was using the same materials as you for prep. What do you plan to use for your retake?

Much of the same. It's not the content, it's the test taker. BUT... I'll be doing the TPRH Science Workbook as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!
How were your GS FL verbal compared to aamc/real ones? are they too easy?
Is there a reason why you skipped GS 3? Did GS FL help you prepare well?
Thank you!

I've seen a lot of people on these internet forums say that GS is good practice for PS and BS because they ask a lot of complex, calculation based questions. I thought for the most part that was true, I really do recommend GS for both the sciences.

I've also seen a lot of people say that GS verbal is bad. I disagree with most people there, but I can understand where they are coming from. When I did GS1, I thought their verbal was terrible! A lot of the answers on verbal are debatable and have multiple answers. When I did GS2, I thought the same thing. Half way through GS3 verbal, I quit because these verbal questions all had two possible answer choices! Then I stuck it through and did GS4, 5, and so on. It took me about 2 more GS verbal tests to realize that it wasn't the testmaker's fault that they had two answers, but it was my fault for either not understanding a certain part of the passage or thinking TOO much of a certain passage. In the end, compared to the AAMC full lengths, I think that the GS verbal is more ambiguous, which makes it harder. After taking the 4/5 MCAT, I actually think the GS verbal was closer to the really hard passages on the real deal. The real deal has a lot of what I think are easier, less ambiguous verbal passages, but they had 1 or 2 really ambiguous ones, which really harked back to the GS verbal for me. All in all, GS is worth it for the science, but the verbal ain't bad. You can only buy the package, so you might as well use the verbal anyways.

Hi mom

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, guys. I'm a newbie and need input. I was averaging around 33-34 and got a 31 (P: 11, V: 10, B: 10). I was usually scoring around a 13 for Bio, but as you all know this Bio section was on crack. I am really not happy about my Bio score. I am pretty happy about Verbal because I usually score 9. Should I retake in June?

Just wanted to add, I am really inspired by how supportive and positive people are in this forum. Keep up the great work!

Test Date: 4/5/2014
Post-Test Expected Score: Really no idea. But I had a feeling I would get anywhere from a 27 to a 32.
AAMC Average: 35.5, but I only took AAMC 3, 8, and 10.
Actual Score: 36 12 PS/11 VR/13 BS
Comments: Almost too excited for words. I had already signed up to retake on June 13th (dumb) because with my GPA and EC's my advisor said I needed around a 32 or greater which I was almost sure I didn't get. If anything, it just shows that post-test feelings don't mean anything. I used TPR to study but I do want to say I am certain that the rigor of the UG courses at Notre Dame prepared me better than any book or MCAT course could have. Plus, it didn't hurt to be taking physics at the same time as my studying ;).

Congrats to everyone who got the score they wanted! It's over!

Maybe you should consider going out of state or going DO, just saying. No offense, I mean to me, a 31 MCAT is amazing, but Im a Floridian.

Maybe you should consider going out of state or going DO, just saying. No offense, I mean to me, a 31 MCAT is amazing, but Im a Floridian.
Thanks for your input! I went to college OOS and would be totally fine leaving again for med school, but I definitely want to apply to only allopathic schools. I guess all you can do is try to put your best foot forward! Best of luck :)

First Time Poster:
Actual MCAT 5/11/13
28 P9 V9 B10
-- Scored the same as my AAMC 11 practice test.

Actual MCAT 4/5/14
31 P9 V12 B10
Practice Tests:
AAMC 9- 29 P10 V8 B11
AAMC 10- 29 P9 V10 B10

I studied my ass off for the sciences so I'm upset they didn't go up. However, I felt terrible coming out of the exam and I scored a personal best in verbal so...
I'm pretty psyched with my 31.

cGPA: 3.45 sGPA: 3.43
from Bucknell
Postbacc at the NIH with a first author pub in the works.
Great ECs.

I know I'm not a competitive applicant or close to the typical gunner SDNers, but I'm going for those low tier MDs for sure.

Just a inspirational story to those stuck in the top 20s (who might be afraid to post): it's possible! I scored a personal best on test day even though I felt beat to hell. Keep your head up!

Congrats to everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you!

I've seen a lot of people on these internet forums say that GS is good practice for PS and BS because they ask a lot of complex, calculation based questions. I thought for the most part that was true, I really do recommend GS for both the sciences.

I've also seen a lot of people say that GS verbal is bad. I disagree with most people there, but I can understand where they are coming from. When I did GS1, I thought their verbal was terrible! A lot of the answers on verbal are debatable and have multiple answers. When I did GS2, I thought the same thing. Half way through GS3 verbal, I quit because these verbal questions all had two possible answer choices! Then I stuck it through and did GS4, 5, and so on. It took me about 2 more GS verbal tests to realize that it wasn't the testmaker's fault that they had two answers, but it was my fault for either not understanding a certain part of the passage or thinking TOO much of a certain passage. In the end, compared to the AAMC full lengths, I think that the GS verbal is more ambiguous, which makes it harder. After taking the 4/5 MCAT, I actually think the GS verbal was closer to the really hard passages on the real deal. The real deal has a lot of what I think are easier, less ambiguous verbal passages, but they had 1 or 2 really ambiguous ones, which really harked back to the GS verbal for me. All in all, GS is worth it for the science, but the verbal ain't bad. You can only buy the package, so you might as well use the verbal anyways.

Hi mom

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!! I've one more question. How did your GS verbal score and AAMC/real score compare? were they different?

Long time lurker here, figured I would share my odd experience...

AAMC 3: 8/8/7 - 23
AAMC 4: 9/8/9 - 26
AAMC 5: 8/7/7- 22
AAMC7: 9/8/10- 27
AAMC8: 8/9/8- 25
AAMC9: 11/10/9- 30
AAMC10: 8/8/9 - 25
AAMC 11: 10/10/9- 29

AAMC Average: 25.875

Decided that maybe with my average I could get a decent shot at DO

AAMC post test feelings: Not terrible, but not great...I predicted 24-26

Actual MCAT score:
13/9/12- 34

um............ :wtf::wow:

My world is rocked and I still don't know if this is legit or not. Waiting to wake up from this whack dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Actual MCAT score:
13/9/12- 34

My world is rocked and I still don't know if this is legit or not. Waiting to wake up from this whack dream..

Wish I could like your post twice. That's awesome

Post-Test Expected Score: Really no idea. But I had a feeling I would get anywhere from a 27 to a 32.
AAMC Average: 33-34 (12/(10-11)/11)
Actual Score: 32 11 PS/13 VR/8 BS
Comments: I don't know how I managed the 13 in VR, I didn't feel amazing about it coming out. I'm not too surprised about bio, it destroyed me and I was hoping there'd be a curve. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get a 12 on PS too. I told myself I wouldn't go through with a retake if I scored a 32 or higher, but seeing as it' s not at all balanced, I'm going to retake it June 13th.

How bad does an 8 look on bio?

Actual MCAT score:
13/9/12- 34

My world is rocked and I still don't know if this is legit or not. Waiting to wake up from this whack dream..

What was your actual mcat score?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!! I've one more question. How did your GS verbal score and AAMC/real score compare? were they different?
On GS I was averaging around 10-11 on verbal. On the AAMC full lengths I got 11-12. On the real deal I got an 11.

Verbal has always been a wildcard for me, sometimes I feel like I do well and I get a high score and sometimes I feel bad and get a decent score. The only constant is that i've never gotten above a 12 on verbal in GS or AAMC and never below a 10.

Must be my phone or something. That doesn't show up for some reason. That's amazing man :) I can only hope to get a 34. Really happy for you. Apply MD!.
Honestly, the only reason I could think of is that I wasn't really stressed or even nervous because I thought that you are basically guaranteed to get your aamc average, and with my aamc average at the level of having a decent shot at DO with my other stats, I just had a "eff it" mentality about it thinking that no matter what I did, I was going to score in that range. So to me it was just another test like the ones I had been taking over and over......till can not for the life of me understand the logic behind my score

Honestly, the only reason I could think of is that I wasn't really stressed or even nervous because I thought that you are basically guaranteed to get your aamc average, and with my aamc average at the level of having a decent shot at DO with my other stats, I just had a "eff it" mentality about it thinking that no matter what I did, I was going to score in that range. So to me it was just another test like the ones I had been taking over and over......till can not for the life of me understand the logic behind my score.

Thanks for posting :) I have been getting lowish scores on my practice tests and this gives me hope that I may do ok on the real deal. Congratulations and good luck with everything!!!!

Honestly, the only reason I could think of is that I wasn't really stressed or even nervous because I thought that you are basically guaranteed to get your aamc average, and with my aamc average at the level of having a decent shot at DO with my other stats, I just had a "eff it" mentality about it thinking that no matter what I did, I was going to score in that range. So to me it was just another test like the ones I had been taking over and over......till can not for the life of me understand the logic behind my score.

That's great to hear man :) must feel good. Def go out and celebrate!

Test Date: 4/5/14

Post Test Expected Score: was guessing 8/9/10, felt horrible after taking this test.

Average AAMC: 33-34

Actual MCAT: 10/11/10 - 31

I am not super happy with my score because it was below my average, but it was also higher than I guessed it would be so I have mixed feelings. I am trying to decide if I should retake or not. I took the MCAT for the first time last april (2013) and got a 26 so I did score better but not sure it is enough. I have a 3.8 science and non science GPA, non traditional student. Have worked in a hospital for the past 3 years. Any advice on if I should retake??

Great job everyone who got the scores they wanted, and to everyone else don't give up!!!

Post Test Expected Score: was guessing 8/9/10, felt horrible after taking this test.

I am not super happy with my score because it was below my average, but it was also higher than I guessed it would be so I have mixed feelings. I am trying to decide if I should retake or not. I took the MCAT for the first time last april (2013) and got a 26 so I did score better but not sure it is enough. I have a 3.8 science and non science GPA, non traditional student. Have worked in a hospital for the past 3 years. Any advice on if I should retake??

Great job everyone who got the scores they wanted, and to everyone else don't give up!!!
From what I've seen overall it's a balanced score. It's not super competitive, but I personally wouldn't retake since you have a solid GPA

Sooo I've been watching this thread the past few days and thought I would give my two cents..
I took the MCAT the first time in september 2013 and was super under prepared for it. I didn't go into enough depth with the material and my biggest problem was I did not do enough practice problems. That said, I got a 26.

Went back to college for my fourth year, got my score and got a brutal wake up call. I knew 26 was wayyyyyy below what i was capable of. So I study hard core starting December till April using princeton review for verbal, berkeley review and chad's videos for physical sciences (really recommend it) and just did Kaplan biology section tests for bio and watched Chad's videos endlessly. Got a 34 this time around and I was super stoked or the 8pt increase. 13ps/9v/12bs. I never did well in verbal so I expected the 9 but I did my best to compensate with the sciences.

The point is don't let your first try bring you down if you did not get the score you hoped. It happens but you have to reevaluate your study habits and point at your flaws and work your way up. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

I feel you. I had the same average and actual. I've more or less resigned myself to the fact that retaking won't be super helpful. I think it would be a better use of my time to do some meaningful EC work with the time I would have used to raise my score by a few points. I sent an E-Mail to my pre-health advisor. I'll let you know what she says!

Sooo I've been watching this thread the past few days and thought I would give my two cents..
I took the MCAT the first time in september 2013 and was super under prepared for it. I didn't go into enough depth with the material and my biggest problem was I did not do enough practice problems. That said, I got a 26.

Went back to college for my fourth year, got my score and got a brutal wake up call. I knew 26 was wayyyyyy below what i was capable of. So I study hard core starting December till April using princeton review for verbal, berkeley review and chad's videos for physical sciences (really recommend it) and just did Kaplan biology section tests for bio and watched Chad's videos endlessly. Got a 34 this time around and I was super stoked or the 8pt increase. 13ps/9v/12bs. I never did well in verbal so I expected the 9 but I did my best to compensate with the sciences.

The point is don't let your first try bring you down if you did not get the score you hoped. It happens but you have to reevaluate your study habits and point at your flaws and work your way up. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Congrats- great score! Would you or someone else mind putting up a link to the infamous Chad's videos? I've been searching and can't seem to locate it...

Also, did you use the TBR exams or the chapter passages, etc.? I've unfortunately taken all the FL TBR exams.

Thanks a lot, just trying to get some information as a retaker!

Congrats- great score! Would you or someone else mind putting up a link to the infamous Chad's videos? I've been searching and can't seem to locate it...

Also, did you use the TBR exams or the chapter passages, etc.? I've unfortunately taken all the FL TBR exams.

It's on coursesaver.com. if you type that with Chad's videos, it should come up on Google.
Super helpful!

I didn't take their full lengths just the chapter tests but I did them at least three times over the span of 4 months. Also I kept a log of the mistakes I had made and reviewed them constantly. I really would spend hours on just a hand full of questions till I really understood them since I thought their difficulty level was pretty similar to the mcat.

Kaplans online full lengths and practice tests were helpful too so I recommend those as well for bs and ps!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!!

Last edited:
I didn't take their full lengths just the chapter tests but I did them at least three times over the span of 4 months. Also I kept a log of theist ales I had made and reviewed them constantly. I really would spend hours on just a hand full of questions till I really understood them since I thought their difficulty level was pretty similar to the mcat.

Kaplans online full lengths and practice tests were helpful too so I recommend those as well for bs and ps!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!!

Thanks for the response and information! Hopefully, the next round goes better :).

Much of the same. It's not the content, it's the test taker. BUT... I'll be doing the TPRH Science Workbook as well :)
Sorry to hear about your score...I would be happy with a 29 but you (rightfully) should reach higher. I took my MCAT on April 24 and am getting really nervous that I bombed...because all of you bright folks went from mid-30's AAMC tests to high 20 MCAT scores...my highest AAMC test was a 31 and my average was about 29..

Hope ya rock your retake...make it feel the pain!:ninja:

Sorry to hear about your score...I would be happy with a 29 but you (rightfully) should reach higher. I took my MCAT on April 24 and am getting really nervous that I bombed...because all of you bright folks went from mid-30's AAMC tests to high 20 MCAT scores...my highest AAMC test was a 31 and my average was about 29..

Hope ya rock your retake...make it feel the pain!:ninja:

Thanks for the well wishes; good luck! :D

Just directed my younger brother to this thread as he took it on the same day. For all of you thinking about retaking, back in 2007 I took it twice and 2nd time I improved by 7 points! It really can happen. It definitely opened some doors for me. Have faith in yourselves and keep on working hard!

I actually thought the GS verbal sections were pretty good. They included lots of convoluted philosophical passages, the kind that make you wonder who would waste their time writing such stuff. I didn't get a fantastic score on the verbal section, but my real score was right in line with my GS scores, so I think they are at least fairly predictive. I also think the GS verbal sections were helpful for practicing timing.

Verbal is a weird section, though. The first time I took the test, I didn't prepare for it at all beyond taking a few practice tests and I received a 10. This time, I did the entire TPR verbal workbook and all of the GS tests... and I received 10. So, you could also argue that the GS practice did nothing.

Last edited:
Keep your heads up guys. Just got my score for this third MCAT and I've finally broken through. Just keep grinding and never get discouraged.

Reactions: 4 users
Just directed my younger brother to this thread as he took it on the same day. For all of you thinking about retaking, back in 2007 I took it twice and 2nd time I improved by 7 points! It really can happen. It definitely opened some doors for me. Have faith in yourselves and keep on working hard!

How long did you spend re-studying in between the tests? I am hoping 5 weeks is enough to push my score from a 25 to 29+ (which is about 40th percentile at my IS schools)

First verbal passage in to my retake MCAT studying 5/7 on a dense passage. Plus side: I'm starting off at a 9 instead of a 7 this time. Negative side: Goes to show how much nervousness plays into actually taking the test. 12/5/12 with an AAMC avg of a 8.5 on VR. 3.5 months to study verbal. I'm with @BeachBlondie revenge at the terms of a 38!

You know what? I know what's coming down the pipe now! I'm out for blood now ;)

I feel the same way. Its crazy..much like you I scored 11-14 in verbal and on the real thing a 9...I was very shocked by that score. I never once hit anything lower than an 11. Im re-taking 8/7. I feel that the second time around will be better now that I know what it feels like to actually sit down and take the exam. Best of luck to you :)

I feel the same way. Its crazy..much like you I scored 11-14 in verbal and on the real thing a 9...I was very shocked by that score. I never once hit anything lower than an 11. Im re-taking 8/7. I feel that the second time around will be better now that I know what it feels like to actually sit down and take the exam. Best of luck to you :)
I am in the exact situation. Retaking 6/13, taking a leave of absence from my full time job. 8+ hours of studying a day baby. :)

Oh, and finding a way to zen out during my test and just relax.

zoolander1.jpg

When's the latest I could retake the MCAT for it to be relevant for this application cycle? (2015 matriculation)

Also, could anyone give me advice on material to use for studying for a retake? I used Kaplan the first time around (and also practiced with the full-length AAMC tests) Thank you

Also, could anyone give me advice on material to use for studying for a retake? I used Kaplan the first time around (and also practiced with the full-length AAMC tests) Thank you
Hey there,

So my biggest piece of advice would be to use study materials from multiple sources/companies. I used PR science review notes and massive hyperlearning workbook, EK subject books and the 1001 question series, EK 101 Verbal Passages, Kaplan 600 MCAT To Go series flashcards, MPrep and Kaplan Q of the Day, Kaplan Review books (sparingly), and my own flashcards that I made throughout the study process. I even did some passages from the BR Physics books...

Every single time I would get a question wrong, I would make a flashcard with the concept/equation/whatever and add it to the stack. My stack was like 2 feet high by the time I had finished (and even then I could have added way more...). There is just SO much to know, so you have to focus on main ideas... I got 11s in both science sections which I consider as respectable scores. You just have to do practice problems...if I had to go back and do it again, I would have done more practice questions and less "studying notes/reading books/etc."

Best of luck!!

Test Date: April 5, 2014
Post-Test Expected Score: 27-32
Actual Score: 11PS, 8VR, 12BS Overall: 31
Comments: This is my 4th time taking it. I'll post up the stats below but I came from a 22, to a 21, to a void, and now a 31! It's not that great of a score but it's my score and I'm dang proud of it!

2/26/14 AAMC 3 - 10PS/8VR/10BS (28)
3/06/14 TPR 1 - 6/4/9 (19)
3/12/14 AAMC 5 - 9/9/11 (29)
3/17/14 AAMC 7 - 10/7/10 (27)
3/20/14 AAMC 8 - 12/9/10 (31)
3/27/14 AAMC 9 - 12/9/11 (32)
3/30/14 AAMC10 - 11/9/10 (30)
4/03/14 AAMC11 - 10/10/11 (31)

2011 Real MCAT - 7/6/9 (22)
2012 Real MCAT - 9/6/6 (21)
2013 Real MCAT - void

Just so y'all know, I've taken every single of these tests once or twice before this past 4 years so for Verbal I sort of remembered the passages. I've posted my 3 previous attempts at the test as well. Hopefully this thread really helps those who've struggled with low 20s. There's hope for you!

How do you think you increased so much? What did you do differently. Congrats!