*** The Official ASDOH Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I just received a rejection email! What a stupid school ... This was my 3rd time applying & interviewing at this school, and I don't understand when they don't want to accept me, why they invite me for an interview, not once not twice but 3 times ... Or maybe I'm stupid that I keep applying at this lame school & wasting my money for application and interview!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just received a rejection email! What a stupid school ... This was my 3rd time applying & interviewing at this school, and I don't understand when they don't want to accept me, why they invite me for an interview, not once not twice but 3 times ... Or maybe I'm stupid that I keep applying at this lame school & wasting my money for application and interview!!!
Have you tried arranging a meeting with the school to talk about your application? That's what Indiana told me to do...

Have you tried arranging a meeting with the school to talk about your application? That's what Indiana told me to do...

In their rejection email it says that they are not able to release any information regarding the reason for rejection! Last year I called and I was told that they had many qualified applicants but their class has only 76 seats and it is very competitive & did not give me any other reason for my rejection or what to do to become a better candidate for next cycle! That's why I call this school a lame school & I won't apply again to this school next cycle if I did not get accepted to other schools that I had interview this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
In their rejection email it says that they are not able to release any information regarding the reason for rejection! Last year I called and I was told that they had many qualified applicants but their class has only 76 seats and it is very competitive & did not give me any other reason for my rejection or what to do to become a better candidate for next cycle! That's why I call this school a lame school & I won't apply again to this school next cycle if I did not get accepted to other schools that I had interview this cycle.

If this is your 3rd time applying you must have also applied to other schools not just asdoh, you should definitely call all schools and ask about your application

I know of a person on sdn who drove to the school and asked about their app and was granted an interview maybe a phone call just won't suffice

But I definitely think if you are near any dental schools that have rejected you, three times warrants a visit in person

Bashing a school that took the time to interview you three times doesn't make much sense. Seeing as you went through 3 cycles without success its safe to say that falls on your shoulders and your gpa, ec's, etc.. Id be thankful for the opportunity to even get an chance of acceptance.

Bashing a school that took the time to interview you three times doesn't make much sense. Seeing as you went through 3 cycles without success its safe to say that falls on your shoulders and your gpa, ec's, etc.. Id be thankful for the opportunity to even get an chance of acceptance.

It is definitely not safe to say that this falls on my shoulders and GPA, etc because why they even invited me for interview in all the 3 cycles that I applied if they did not like my GPA, DAT, etc? I did not just go to their interview as a guest, they invited me since I was one of the 400 interviewees among the 3500 applicants in each cycle! If they are looking for something specific it's better to be clear and inform the applicant about the reason for the rejection instead of keep inviting an applicant to their stupid interview over and over!

They're stat requirements are so slow that basically anyone qualifies, that forces them to look for other random abstract things in applicants, and ask random "deep" questions like why do terrorists do this or that. I agree they're selection criteria isn't like a normal dental school, but why bash them? Maybe they extended 3 chances and you just blew them all.

It is definitely not safe to say that this falls on my shoulders and GPA, etc because why they even invited me for interview in all the 3 cycles that I applied if they did not like my GPA, DAT, etc? I did not just go to their interview as a guest, they invited me since I was one of the 400 interviewees among the 3500 applicants in each cycle! If they are looking for something specific it's better to be clear and inform the applicant about the reason for the rejection instead of keep inviting an applicant to their stupid interview over and over!

I don't understand why you're so butt hurt about getting rejected 3 times. Maybe you should have just stopped after the 2nd time so they wouldn't have been able to suck money and time from you. ASDOH is a competitive school that interviews way more applicants than they can accept. Just because you're a 3rd time interviewee does not entitle you to a spot in their class. Each application cycle is different. Clearly, they like the other applicants that interview each cycle more than they like you. That's the bottom line.

They're stat requirements are so slow that basically anyone qualifies, that forces them to look for other random abstract things in applicants, and ask random "deep" questions like why do terrorists do this or that. I agree they're selection criteria isn't like a normal dental school, but why bash them? Maybe they extended 3 chances and you just blew them all.

ASDOH doesn't look for random things in an applicant. They want someone who has served their community and still plans on serving their community in the future. When I went there to interview, the speaker said, "We can teach you the techniques and knowledge on how to be a dentist, but we can't teach you how to grow a heart." They place a large emphasis on community service and would rather take those who have shown commitment to their community than those who come riding in with 4.0GPA's and a 25AA.

And no, I was not accepted to ASDOH.

I agree with all of the comments above. And that's so odd they didn't release information. I called about 2 weeks ago and asked for an update and they told me "Oh, you were rejected in November. A letter went out on December #" I said "Oh, I'm sorry to call then, I never got it. Can I ask the reason why I was rejected without an interview?" and she told me right there that after reviewing my application they determined my GPA was too low to continue in the application process. My BCP is 3.49, my overall is 3.68 and in the past 3 years (last 2 of undergrad and 1 post-grad work) has been a 4.0.

That is true, but if you get interview like me and then they reject you, they won't tell you the reason for it as specifically state it in their rejection letter for the people who had interview to not contact them regarding the reason for the rejection since the main reason is they only have 76 seats!

I hope you don't blow your interview if you get any!

That is true, but if you get interview like me and then they reject you, they won't tell you the reason for it as specifically state it in their rejection letter for the people who had interview to not contact them regarding the reason for the rejection since the main reason is they only have 76 seats!
I was rejected with an interview, and well, I guess since I was accepted to my top school, I don't care about what ASDOH thinks. I also don't understand why ASDOH wants to interview so many people for so little seats, but I don't think you should be upset with the school for rejecting you 3 times in a row. You should have stopped applying after the second time. Unless, that is, this was your top choice. But there are plenty of other schools that can offer what ASDOH has, so don't stay bitter and just move on.

I hope you get accepted to a school elsewhere.

I've already have an acceptance in hand from my top choice and turned down the ASDOH ranked wait list but thanks anyways. Good luck to you next year!

Members don't see this ad :)

I called ASDOH a week ago and was told I was not accepted for the upcoming class class. To be clear, I asked if I was "rejected" and interestingly, Azra said "No, you just weren't accepted". Pretty sure that's the same thing but I am sensing that in the case where they go through their entire waiting list (20 applicants), I am still in a pool of backups??? So...the waiting list for the waiting list? :p

BUT! I asked Azra if I can get some feedback regarding my application and interview and she gladly obliged to compile a file review for me! I received my official non-acceptance email this week and saw the portion stating they "do not release specific information regarding non-acceptance". I called Azra again to make sure and she said she is sending me a file review, so perhaps you should give them a call?

I can see your frustrations, but keep in mind that there are factors that you have no control over, especially who is in your interview group. You may be a qualified applicant for an interview, but when they review all the interviews for that month/interview group, other applicants may have stood out more.

My only gripe with ASDOH was that they contacted me 4 days before my interview date....which gave me very little time to book a flight--a normally $350 round trip ticket cost me $860 because it was so last minute. :[ But I was incredibly grateful for the opportunity, loved the campus/program/students/staff/AZ, and it was worth it in the end! Unless by some freak chance I get accepted, I will be applying to ASDOH again for sure!

Did you actually receive feedback from your file review? I was told the same thing. Just not not sure when to expect it.

Did you actually receive feedback from your file review? I was told the same thing. Just not not sure when to expect it.
Nope, not yet. Azra said to expect it sometime next week so I'm going to a wait a bit before contacting them again.

Last edited:
I agree with all of the comments above. And that's so odd they didn't release information. I called about 2 weeks ago and asked for an update and they told me "Oh, you were rejected in November. A letter went out on December #" I said "Oh, I'm sorry to call then, I never got it. Can I ask the reason why I was rejected without an interview?" and she told me right there that after reviewing my application they determined my GPA was too low to continue in the application process. My BCP is 3.49, my overall is 3.68 and in the past 3 years (last 2 of undergrad and 1 post-grad work) has been a 4.0.

While I don't want to fully disclose my GPA (it's bad x_x), my GPA is substantially lower than yours AND I applied super late...around mid November for ASDOH. Yet, I did somehow manage to get an interview in February. Interesting that your GPA was considered too low when mine was REALLY low. Plus, I researched that the class average each year is below a 3.5? Perhaps ASDOH does really focus on EC and experience because those were my only strongest points.

I will be open about my experience. I have a mid 3.4 gpa. 22/21 dat pat. Tons of ec, tons of dental hours (work in 2 different offices), great letters, compelling personal statement. Applied and rejected almost instantly.

I think at this point it is fair to say that there isn't a standard way to get into ASDOH as it isn't a traditional dental school. I had an average GPA, extremely low DAT, about 2000 hours of community service, a mission trip to Honduras, awesome recommendations and have worked in dentistry for years. I did get an interview and it went well. I was also rejected and was sent the same statement of "do not release specific information regarding non-acceptance." I called Azra last week and she was very patient with me. She looked up my interview notes and told me they could tell I had the heart they are searching for in a dental student and that it was clear that I knew a lot about the school. She said my responses in the interview were strong as well. I am not butt hurt by any means and for those who are feeling down or upset about their rejection from this AMAZING school, consider yourself lucky to have even been offered an interview. Your interview is your time to shine so if the stats are all ideal, it is most probably the interview that was lacking OR you just aren't ASDOH material! I mean that in the kindest way but for those who have spent 50+ hours at ASDOH participating in their events, it is quite clear that ASDOH has a certain "culture" to it. You might not have been what they were looking for as a person that fits that culture. That doesn't mean that you aren't capable or a good candidate for another school.

As for me, someone who takes ASDOH extremely seriously and holds the school at high regard, it is very offensive to see someone bash on the school. ASDOH strives to better the lives of those that it touches, so if you didn't get accepted and are butt hurt, STAY AWAY from the school because quite frankly, you aren't what they are looking for. Dentistry is a field that requires maturity and humility--if you can't live up to those standards, maybe dentistry isn't the path for you. Keep that in mind. Rejection is not always negative criticism. It is a way to better yourself and to see how you can improve yourself to ultimately be the best version of yourself, or in this case, the best possible dentist.

Congrats to those who were accepted to dental school and on their way of reaching their goals. Good luck to those who are reapplying this June. Stay confident!!

Reactions: 2 users
You sound like exactly the student they accept, did she give you any indication as to why you weren't accepted or how you could improve besides the whole "you're really great but there's only so many seats" line?

Last edited:
Good luck to those of you on the wait list. Today was the deadline for the 2nd $1,000 deposit and also the deadline for people with multiple acceptances to decide on ASDOH. There should be some acceptance offers very soon! ;)

I think at this point it is fair to say that there isn't a standard way to get into ASDOH as it isn't a traditional dental school. I had an average GPA, extremely low DAT, about 2000 hours of community service, a mission trip to Honduras, awesome recommendations and have worked in dentistry for years. I did get an interview and it went well. I was also rejected and was sent the same statement of "do not release specific information regarding non-acceptance." I called Azra last week and she was very patient with me. She looked up my interview notes and told me they could tell I had the heart they are searching for in a dental student and that it was clear that I knew a lot about the school. She said my responses in the interview were strong as well. I am not butt hurt by any means and for those who are feeling down or upset about their rejection from this AMAZING school, consider yourself lucky to have even been offered an interview. Your interview is your time to shine so if the stats are all ideal, it is most probably the interview that was lacking OR you just aren't ASDOH material! I mean that in the kindest way but for those who have spent 50+ hours at ASDOH participating in their events, it is quite clear that ASDOH has a certain "culture" to it. You might not have been what they were looking for as a person that fits that culture. That doesn't mean that you aren't capable or a good candidate for another school.

As for me, someone who takes ASDOH extremely seriously and holds the school at high regard, it is very offensive to see someone bash on the school. ASDOH strives to better the lives of those that it touches, so if you didn't get accepted and are butt hurt, STAY AWAY from the school because quite frankly, you aren't what they are looking for. Dentistry is a field that requires maturity and humility--if you can't live up to those standards, maybe dentistry isn't the path for you. Keep that in mind. Rejection is not always negative criticism. It is a way to better yourself and to see how you can improve yourself to ultimately be the best version of yourself, or in this case, the best possible dentist.

Congrats to those who were accepted to dental school and on their way of reaching their goals. Good luck to those who are reapplying this June. Stay confident!!

When you contacted Azra in regards to your file/interview review, did she tell you on the spot or did she have to compile the information and contacted you later? I've been waiting for a couple weeks for her review and was wondering if I should contact her again (I've already done so twice)...I understand she's probably busy contacting acceptances and whatnot. :p

Just like dentalchick91 stated, I think what ASDOH looks for in their future students is as unique of a process as is the school and the interview (and I mean that in a good way!). If there is one thing that stood out to me was that all the dental students I interacted with before and during my interview seemed extremely happy! Maybe it's the sun, warm weather, and beautiful campus but I could genuinely see and feel the bonds among the students, staff, professors, and even Dean Dillenberg! Perhaps they look for applicants who will work cohesively in this environment and are overall happy people! :]

You sound like exactly the student they accept, did she give you any indication as to why you weren't accepted or how you could improve besides the whole "you're really great but there's only so many seats" line?

I was told that the low DAT score was what ultimately didn't get me in. I underestimated the importance of a high score so really be sure all areas of your application are on point.

I was told that the low DAT score was what ultimately didn't get me in. I underestimated the importance of a high score so really be sure all areas of your application are on point.
do you mind sharing your DAT score?

Has anyone tried contacting the school in regards to their rejection?

I've been waiting for over a month for any feedback on my application/interview and have yet to receive anything....tried calling numerous times and no one even picks up anymore...not sure if it'll be worth my time and money to reapply there if I was rejected for something that I can't change/increase/take/etc. Plus the new application cycle opens in 2 days...

I received a ASDOH interview invitation via email today.

AADSAS mailout: 6/27/14
Supplemental completed: 7/11/14

I'm around 320/320 hrs for volunteering/shadowing. I have about 120 hours of dental work experience. This is my 2nd application cycle. I am a bit non-traditional with regard to age, marital status, and job experience. My science GPA is 3.47, and overall GPA is 3.68 (man do I hate how AADSAS calculates GPAs with re-taken courses!!).

This is my first interview with ASDOH. I interviewed with MOSDOH last year. Does anyone know if the interviews are similar between the schools? Not sure what to expect after reading this entire thread. :) I really enjoyed the faculty, location, and student body at MOSDOH, but have to do more research on ASDOH.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited: