The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only a 39?!?! Dude I would get a McDonald's application handy just in case :rolleyes:

I love SDN

I didn't mean it that way! I meant not close to a 45. And high MCAT scores mean nothing in Ontario for me. The only score that matters the higher it gets, is verbal and that's only for one school. Everything else is a cut-off and no more.

ETA: I mean I see people on here saying a 3.9 and 35 is pretty much a guaranteed acceptance somewhere in the States. I don't think even a 4.0 would guarantee acceptance anywhere here.

I didn't mean it that way! I meant not close to a 45. And high MCAT scores mean nothing in Ontario for me. The only score that matters the higher it gets, is verbal and that's only for one school. Everything else is a cut-off and no more.

Haha I know I'm just joking. So are you only applying to Canadian schools? And all of them don't care about your score as long as it's above the cut-off?

Haha I know I'm just joking. So are you only applying to Canadian schools? And all of them don't care about your score as long as it's above the cut-off?

I think until after I've graduated, I'm only going to apply to Ontario schools. If I don't get in, then I'll fall onto American schools as a safety.

Most schools do just use it as a cut-off. UofToronto needs 9/9/9, Queen's is pretty infamous for having had a super-high WS cutoff in previous years (P or Q I think?). Western's around 9/11/10 I think.

But yeah, just a ridiculously high cut-off everywhere.

I actually just got finished with a Chinese acupressure session. Holy moly it hurt a lot, but now I feel like I'm on Cloud Nine! Highly recommend it! Hope y'all are having a relaxing evening.

is there anything that we need to know for tomorrow? like what we have to bring, instructions for the test date? would that be in an email that we got or can i find it somewhere online?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else feel like they're gonna throw up? :scared:

That's reserved for the entire month after you take it! All those sleepless nights of staying up in wonder of how you did.

JUST ONE MORE DAY and I'll have one week of summer to enjoy until school ruins my life again. Good luck to all of us!!

That's reserved for the entire month after you take it! All those sleepless nights of staying up in wonder of how you did.

JUST ONE MORE DAY and I'll have one week of summer to enjoy until school ruins my life again. Good luck to all of us!!

I've got 3 weeks, I can't believe you guys start so early.

I'm kind of excited today. I know studying isn't going to help too much and I just want it to be all over in less than 24 hours.

Good luck on the test tomorrow everyone! Due to some issues I won't be taking the test with you guys tomorrow :/ and will have to wait till January; but I hope that you guys all score your goal scores!! Best of luck!

I've got 3 weeks, I can't believe you guys start so early.

I'm kind of excited today. I know studying isn't going to help too much and I just want it to be all over in less than 24 hours.

Wish I attended your school. Texas schools are dumb. We get out earlier than most schools though so I guess that makes up for it.

And I know this is kind of last minute, but I was wondering if someone could answer this question for me. We're supposed to take shots AFTER the exam, not before it. Right? Right??

Wish I attended your school. Texas schools are dumb. We get out earlier than most schools though so I guess that makes up for it.

And I know this is kind of last minute, but I was wondering if someone could answer this question for me. We're supposed to take shots AFTER the exam, not before it. Right? Right??

We finish around the end of April and start the 2nd week of September.

Shots at all times are good. :laugh: Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't really done any drinking since I turned 19 so having this on a Friday is perfect for getting super drunk immediately afterwards.

Just finished reviewing AAMC 11, wtf ebola. Guessed my way through that and miraculously only managed 2 mistakes.

We finish around the end of April and start the 2nd week of September.

Shots at all times are good. :laugh: Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't really done any drinking since I turned 19 so having this on a Friday is perfect for getting super drunk immediately afterwards.

Just finished reviewing AAMC 11, wtf ebola. Guessed my way through that and miraculously only managed 2 mistakes.

Yeah... I know a lot of people had trouble with that one. Definitely guessed through that as well. I'm just hoping there's not anything quite as thick as that one tomorrow! After browsing through the 8/15 thread there seems to be some hope for Bio. Obviously it won't be the same for us, but one can dream.

Good luck tomorrow everyone

Highest i got on an aamc was 26, i need a 28 for my BS/MD program. Just gonna go in there and try my best. Going into my junior year, so I Still have another year to take it, but maybe, just maybe, ill get a good test tomorrow. Anyone ever hear of people doing better on the real thing than a practice?

Good luck everyone! I cannot believe I'm finally about to take this test after postponing TWICE this summer. I guess I'll never feel 100% ready for this thing but I AM ready to have my life back haha.

Good luck everyone! I cannot believe I'm finally about to take this test after postponing TWICE this summer. I guess I'll never feel 100% ready for this thing but I AM ready to have my life back haha.

I'm so ready for my summer vacation. :laugh:

At this point, my biggest issue is my ID problem. I figure I'll just take my birth certificate and passport since I literally do not have a single correct government ID with me. Best case scenario, they don't notice the name switch on the driver's license and I'll just never leave the room for breaks so they don't catch on. :scared:

I'm so ready for my summer vacation. :laugh:

At this point, my biggest issue is my ID problem. I figure I'll just take my birth certificate and passport since I literally do not have a single correct government ID with me. Best case scenario, they don't notice the name switch on the driver's license and I'll just never leave the room for breaks so they don't catch on. :scared:

Oh that's worrisome :( I would imagine that at least ONE of those will work. Did you ever call?

Bout to go in for my test and I just want to give everyone here some perspective on this. We all start out at the same place we will all end up in the same place. We live for 80 years if we're lucky, and that is such an insignificant amount of time relatively speaking. What you score on this test means nothing, because one day you will no longer exist. Life isn't about making money or pursuing things because others want you to pursue them.Take the test and do your best. If it defeats you, there are other things that will and there are much more things that won't. Relax and enjoy the freedom to make choices and do what you desire because there are people and other animals that don't have that freedom. Make it count.

Strangely I thought the PS wasn't too bad. Verbal definitely wasn't terrible, but the BS section though... Anybody else thought it was brutal?

Strangely I thought the PS wasn't too bad. Verbal definitely wasn't terrible, but the BS section though... Anybody else thought it was brutal?

Exact same thought as you. AAMC average of 34 and I would guess around there is what I made in this. Freaking bio will keep me from a 35+ I'm sure