The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't scores come out sooner...

Money. They want paranoid people to rewrite. :(

Though, it actually had the opposite effect on me, I would have signed up for a rewrite in a heartbeat if I got my score the day after and had a VR score of 10 or lower. At this point, I can't really predict my VR score, I have a horrible feeling that it'll be a 9 or 10 but I was consistently hitting 11 on practice. I would probably cry myself to sleep for weeks if I sign up for September 12 only to get my score back 5 days later and see an 11+ in VR. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Money. They want paranoid people to rewrite. :(

Though, it actually had the opposite effect on me, I would have signed up for a rewrite in a heartbeat if I got my score the day after and had a VR score of 10 or lower. At this point, I can't really predict my VR score, I have a horrible feeling that it'll be a 9 or 10 but I was consistently hitting 11 on practice. I would probably cry myself to sleep for weeks if I sign up for September 12 only to get my score back 5 days later and see an 11+ in VR. :laugh:

My thoughts exactly about VR. I am so tempted to rewrite just for this section! Especially since I'm applying this cycle. I feel like I'm gambling. :(

I argue that it's not, as it's just different iterations of the same thing but often disguised into something difficult, but I've only taken one MCAT, and thus this may deteriorate into a battle of whose MCAT was an accurate representation and whose is not. Which is always funny because the guy who fills the role of arguing against me also typically has also taken and seen one MCAT, which doesn't put him in a better place to judge real test vs. practice test difficulty. Just an ironic thought lol

Although true that I've only written one test, looking through all the posts on this forum, it seems like the general consensus is that the real test is harder. I definitely found te BS section to be harder. I found the PS section easy but also definitely harder than any of the AAMC practice tests (I'm getting my PhD in physics, so me finding it rather easy means nothing).

My thoughts exactly about VR. I am so tempted to rewrite just for this section! Especially since I'm applying this cycle. I feel like I'm gambling. :(

I wish I took a date about 1 week earlier, would have let me see my score and then sign up for the very last test date. What's done is done though, I'll just have to hope it turns out ok. If not, I guess I'll sit through the 4th year of my undergrad.

Although true that I've only written one test, looking through all the posts on this forum, it seems like the general consensus is that the real test is harder. I definitely found te BS section to be harder. I found the PS section easy but also definitely harder than any of the AAMC practice tests (I'm getting my PhD in physics, so me finding it rather easy means nothing).

Do you plan on using your Physics degree? I guess radiology is the only area it would be explicitly useful.

I wish I took a date about 1 week earlier, would have let me see my score and then sign up for the very last test date. What's done is done though, I'll just have to hope it turns out ok. If not, I guess I'll sit through the 4th year of my undergrad.

Same here. Haha

this post rubs me the wrong way. You've been very petulant lately.

These are the doctors of the future. Cream of the crop, right?

Ehhh, it happens.:cool:

+1,000,000:thumbup:

No. I was/am sincerely confuzzled by this curious phenomenon. If anything, my whole point is that said "predictors" aren't accurate at all, and so everyone making such worrisome and low predictions should chill the hell out because more likely than not, things won't go as badly as they think.

But sure, take me for an ******* and miss the larger message. I could care less.

No. I was/am sincerely confuzzled by this curious phenomenon. If anything, my whole point is that said "predictors" aren't accurate at all, and so everyone making such worrisome and low predictions should chill the hell out because more likely than not, things won't go as badly as they think.

But sure, take me for an ******* and miss the larger message. I could care less.

Your general tone toward this "phenomenon" was very condescending.

Using phrases like "you people" and classifying this as "rampant behavior" when it clearly isn't, is pretty aggressively condescending toward those people.

The tone of your post was extremely condescending. This is the most important test most of us will ever take. People have every right to be nervous about their performance. Also, what word were you suggesting that starts with "n"?

Members don't see this ad :)
The tone of your post was extremely condescending. This is the most important test most of us will ever take. People have every right to be nervous about their performance. Also, what word were you suggesting that starts with "n"?

Neurotic. (I find that word to be condescending, as it assumes qualities in other people that are unknown to me, and thus I refrained from using it in my post.)

Also, I sense a straw man. I never said people didn't have a right to be nervous. I just said I don't get why so many people are so eager to predict lower scores and scare the crap out of themselves when they probably scored their averages like most other people.

Again, I don't find that condescending. You can take it to mean whatever you want to.

Last edited:
Do you plan on using your Physics degree? I guess radiology is the only area it would be explicitly useful.

To be honest, I haven't quite decided, though I agree re: radiology. But I also think a PhD (in particular in physics) is rather useful for any type of research...so I definitely look forward to that :).

Your general tone toward this "phenomenon" was very condescending.

Using phrases like "you people" and classifying this as "rampant behavior" when it clearly isn't, is pretty aggressively condescending toward those people.

"You people" was the best way I could make it clear I wasn't speaking directly to moneyman, since simply "you" may have been interpreted as such (I clarified again at the end). Where I come from, that is a perfectly acceptable way to refer to a group of people free of any negative connotations. Quit being so uptight/PC.

It's pretty rampant if you check multiple MCAT threads. But that's open to different interpretations and also depends on what you've read versus what I have. I see it as being a pretty popular thing. Furthermore, rampant is a descriptive adjective intended to portray the frequency of occurrence. I don't understand where you people are inferring all these connotations from.

tumblr_m4i32l7dQR1r1b9aso1_400.gif

Neurotic. (I find that word to be condescending, as it assumes qualities in other people that are unknown to me, and thus I refrained from using it in my post.)

Also, I sense a straw man. I never said people didn't have a right to be nervous.
I just said I don't get why so many people are so eager to predict lower scores and scare the crap out of themselves when they probably scored their averages like most other people.
And I never said that you said people didn't have a right to be nervous. Implicit in my statement was the suggestion that people make these predictions because they are nervous about a very important test. When people are nervous, they tend to expect the worst. This is the correct answer to the question you posed in the condescending post. I'm surprised you overlooked something so simple, and I'm disappointed that you took it as an opportunity to speak down to others others.

Again, I don't find that condescending. You can take it to mean whatever you want to.
You must have difficulty answering those "what is the author's tone" questions in VR. Several people have said/implied that the post was condescending. I guess you are correct and we are all wrong.

Last edited:
"You people" was the best way I could make it clear I wasn't speaking directly to moneyman, since simply "you" may have been interpreted as such (I clarified again at the end). Where I come from, that is a perfectly acceptable way to refer to a group of people free of any negative connotations. Quit being so uptight/PC.

It's pretty rampant if you check multiple MCAT threads. But that's open to different interpretations and also depends on what you've read versus what I have. I see it as being a pretty popular thing. Furthermore, rampant is a descriptive adjective intended to portray the frequency of occurrence. I don't understand where you people are inferring all these connotations from.

Your choice of words have universally negative implications. Not every word can be bound by its simple dictionary definitions.

Rampant, for example, has an implication of recklessness attached to its denotation. When you use that word in describing people's actions your are implication received is generally negative, not constructive.

If you don't understand where we are getting these connotations, it means you need to reevaluate the way with which you interact with people. A lot of your posts are quite petulant. If you cannot see that, you have a long way to go.

I wish I could show admission boards ya'lls posts because then none of y'all would get in based on the immature comments from BOTH sides of this argument. That's the problem with everyone these days... Everything is "offensive and condescending". Grow a back bone!!

Last edited:
i wish i could show admission boards ya'lls posts because then no e of y'all would get in based on the immature comments from both sides of this argument. That's the ltobl with everyone these days... everything is "offensive and condescending". Grow a back bone!!

+5000

On another note, I've been back at school for a few days now and it feels so weird that the MCAT and summer is behind me now. Classes will serve as a much needed distraction, but I'm sure I'll start thinking about the exam again once September hits :/

I've been pretty good about forgetting the test. The only times I remember are when I get e-mails and even then, it doesn't cause a freak out. I have a feeling once school starts and test results are a week away, the panic will set in.

I've been pretty good about forgetting the test. The only times I remember are when I get e-mails and even then, it doesn't cause a freak out. I have a feeling once school starts and test results are a week away, the panic will set in.

Emails about the MCAT, or emails in general?

Oh man, that MCAT survey email made me flip out when I saw it today. All I saw was an email from AAMC and in the title "MCAT". Even though I know we don't get our scores until the 17th, for one fleeting moment I was in pure terror.

I'm sure this has already been asked but is anyone else applying this cycle?

If my MCAT score is reasonable enough, I'm applying this cycle. I'm only applying to schools that don't have rolling admissions, as well as Stanford...so I'm not too worried about the late MCAT (just the actual score :/).

If my MCAT score is reasonable enough, I'm applying this cycle. I'm only applying to schools that don't have rolling admissions, as well as Stanford...so I'm not too worried about the late MCAT (just the actual score :/).

Have you already submitted primaries?

Which schools don't have rolling admissions??

It seems as though most top 20 schools don't have rolling admissions. I'm applying to Canadian schools (I'm from Canada), and other than that only schools I'd be willing to stay in the US to attend.

Have you already submitted primaries?

Yep! Submitted mid-July, so I should be able to submit secondaries the same day MCAT scores come out---if everything turns out okay.

Fingers crossed :)

It seems as though most top 20 schools don't have rolling admissions. I'm applying to Canadian schools (I'm from Canada), and other than that only schools I'd be willing to stay in the US to attend.

Yep! Submitted mid-July, so I should be able to submit secondaries the same day MCAT scores come out---if everything turns out okay.

Fingers crossed :)

Same here. Already verified with some secondaries that I plan to submit the week my MCAT score comes back. It's just so nervewracking working on secondaries without knowing my score and also given the fact that by then it will be too late to retake for this cycle!

Fingers crossed I guess.

I feel worse and worse about my score as the days go by. Plus I feel like I'm already forgetting a lot of content and I don't want to because I may need to retake in January 2014... Studying as if I already knew that my score is ****ty and need a retake -- yay or nay?

I feel worse and worse about my score as the days go by. Plus I feel like I'm already forgetting a lot of content and I don't want to because I may need to retake in January 2014... Studying as if I already knew that my score is ****ty and need a retake -- yay or nay?

You mean starting to study right now for a January 2014 test that you might not even need to take, because you have no idea what your score actually is?

NayHorse.jpg

Good for you. I am retaking in Sept. b/c I feel there was too much ochem, and my princeton review class didn't adequately cover light. Don't let anybody discourage you from continuing to prepare. You don't want to take it in 2015.

Good for you. I am retaking in Sept. b/c I feel there was too much ochem, and my princeton review class didn't adequately cover light. Don't let anybody discourage you from continuing to prepare. You don't want to take it in 2015.

Dude, who was discouraging him (her?) from continuing to prepare? I just think it doesn't make sense to start studying now.. when you find out your score in three weeks and if you decide then that a retake is necessary, you'll have four months to study.

Dude, who was discouraging him (her?) from continuing to prepare? I just think it doesn't make sense to start studying now.. when you find out your score in three weeks and if you decide then that a retake is necessary, you'll have four months to study.

+1

It doesn't make much sense to start studying now without knowing your score. Also, 4 months out with classes in a semester ain't the best study schedule anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys. I sort of compromised and decided to keep reviewing the content just so that I don't completely forget everything but not study hardcore like I did right up to the MCAT. It needs to be September 17th sooner so I can either go on with my life or get right back into study mode ._.

Under a table in the fetal position. Jk, time is flying for me. Work is keeping me preoccupied.

With welcome week, football season, fraternity life, and endless engineering classes.. time's flying. Unless I get a subscription notification to this thread on my phone, the MCAT is almost never on my mind.

Uhhh jealous.. I find myself thinking about it all the time. A few days ago I actually logged onto the scores website to see if maybe the AAMC had released scores early by accident. (They hadn't.) Pathetic, I know :oops:

Uhhh jealous.. I find myself thinking about it all the time. A few days ago I actually logged onto the scores website to see if maybe the AAMC had released scores early by accident. (They hadn't.) Pathetic, I know :oops:

Same with me... I can't stop thinking about it.

Only 2 weeks away though!

I though VR and BS were easy as cake. Never felt this good after a VR ever; there's usually one passage that screws me over where I don't understand it completely, but this time I finished with ~12 minutes left and double checked answers. BS was pretty standard, discretes were easy, and I loved the OChem. No tricky experimental from what I remember. but PS was pretty "difficult" in the sense that there were too many calculations which sort of through me off.

Hoping for an 11PS 13VR 14BS at least.

Hoping to surprise myself and get a 13 on PS though. AAMC's were usually 13/14.

Practice tests 14 14 14 man I can't wait until scores come out. If I beat my practice score I am going out with my super model girlfriend. I just hope my Ferrari will be out of the shop by then. Do you think I will get into Stanford? What? :laugh: