The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Visited my testing centre today, but they wouldn't let me into the room without an "authorization paper". What is that, like my confirmation email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm not going to know what to do with myself after this test. I've spent so much time and energy preparing and now all that can be spent doing other things.

An hour early? Dang. I was thinking I'd go 30 minutes early

The earlier you arrive, the earlier you enter. Its a first come, first served basis.
Of course, I would not go too early, because then I will get too hungry during the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm not going to know what to do with myself after this test. I've spent so much time and energy preparing and now all that can be spent doing other things.

I feel like for the first 1-2 days I'll be thinking about nothing other than the exam and wondering constantly whether I feel good enough about the test to not have to retake.... then for a couple of weeks it'll subside, then ramp up again when the score release day nears.

Question!

Is osmolarity influenced by solute concentration? I thought I read in one of the AAMC FL answers that osmolarity only depends on the amount of solute. Does adding water to a solution with high osmotic pressure lower the osmotic pressure? Or does it just increase the hydrostatic pressure?

Question!

Is osmolarity influenced by solute concentration? I thought I read in one of the AAMC FL answers that osmolarity only depends on the amount of solute. Does adding water to a solution with high osmotic pressure lower the osmotic pressure? Or does it just increase the hydrostatic pressure?
Ya osmolarity is defined as the number of solute particles per liter, so in essence it is the solute concentration. Adding water would lower the concentration of the solute contributing to osmotic gradient, so yes that would lower.

I feel so great right now!!! I began studying for my MCAT on May and I dedicated every single day to a strict study schedule. After all my hard work I can now say that I am a true believer in the saying "Hard Work Pays Off". I was very determined and I put my heart and soul into what I most wanted in the world. I didn't let anyone get in the way, distract me, or slow me down. I stayed true to my goal for 3 months, and I got what I wanted. I received a 43 on my MCAT score, if I was able to achieve this so can you. I am not a genius or a smart person at all, I am a normal average guy just like most of us. The secret was dedication, if I did it so can you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I feel so great right now!!! I began studying for my MCAT on May and I dedicated every single day to a strict study schedule. After all my hard work I can now say that I am a true believer in the saying "Hard Work Pays Off". I was very determined and I put my heart and soul into what I most wanted in the world. I didn't let anyone get in the way, distract me, or slow me down. I stayed true to my goal for 3 months, and I got what I wanted. I received a 43 on my MCAT score, if I was able to achieve this so can you. I am not a genius or a smart person at all, I am a normal average guy just like most of us. The secret was dedication, if I did it so can you! :)

DAYUM! You go girl/man!

I just finished AAMC 11. After that horrible 31 on AAMC 10 I am happy to report I got a 36! (10/12/14) Yay! Feeling much more confident now.

Is anyone else planning to do a brain dump on the scratch paper during the tutorial? I tried it today and it wasn't extremely helpful but it did get me in the right mindset, I think.

Reactions: 3 users
Question!

Just to add to the previous answer because it helps me remember:
  • 1 mole of NaCl in 1 L of water gives a 1 molar solution
  • 1 mole of NaCl in 1 L of water gives a 2 osmolar solution, given that 1 mole of NaCl dissociates into 2 moles of particles in aqueous solution.
Most important thing is that osmolarity (osmolality), not molarity (molality), is the value involved in colligative properties.

I'm fairly certain anyone who scores a 43 is a genius in at least some sense.

Reactions: 1 users
DAYUM! You go girl/man!

I just finished AAMC 11. After that horrible 31 on AAMC 10 I am happy to report I got a 36! (10/12/14) Yay! Feeling much more confident now.

Is anyone else planning to do a brain dump on the scratch paper during the tutorial? I tried it today and it wasn't extremely helpful but it did get me in the right mindset, I think.
I'm just going to try and do some deep breathing.

Just to add to the previous answer because it helps me remember:
  • 1 mole of NaCl in 1 L of water gives a 1 molar solution
  • 1 mole of NaCl in 1 L of water gives a 2 osmolar solution, given that 1 mole of NaCl dissociates into 2 moles of particles in aqueous solution.
Most important thing is that osmolarity (osmolality), not molarity (molality), is the value involved in colligative properties.

If only knowledge consisted of low osmolarity so that it could diffuse into my brain every time I use my TBR books as pillows.

I don't post here too often but I wish you all the best tomorrow! God willing all of us here do well enough to get in to one of our main schools! I didn't get much sleep last night as I lost power and slept on the floor at a friends lol. So taking a nap and then reviewing a few things for a good part of the day. I'm just not one of those people who can sit and do nothing when my whole college carrier I studied up to the hour of a test haha. To reach there own and may none of us freakout on this best test ever *said no one* tomorrow!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, here are my scores:

AAMC 3- 13/7/13= 33
AAMC 4- 12/9/11= 32
AAMC 5- 10/9/10= 29
AAMC 7- 12/8/13= 33
AAMC 8- 12/8/11= 31
AAMC 9- 14/9/13= 36
AAMC 10- 12/10/12= 34
AAMC 11- 11/9/10= 30

Average- 12/8.6/11.6= 32.2

Hopefully I can pull off a 32+

THIS-IS-MCAT.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys, here are my scores:

AAMC 3- 13/7/13= 33
AAMC 4- 12/9/11= 32
AAMC 5- 10/9/10= 29
AAMC 7- 12/8/13= 33
AAMC 8- 12/8/11= 31
AAMC 9- 14/9/13= 36
AAMC 10- 12/10/12= 34
AAMC 11- 11/9/10= 30

Average- 12/8.6/11.6= 32.2

Hopefully I can pull off a 32+
Just keep the focus level at a max during verbal.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been extremely anxious and nervous since yesterday. I keep feeling like I should already be at the test center lol :/

I'm going for a long bike ride today and then eating massive amounts of carbs.

What are you guys bringing for the breaks?

I was thinking dark chocolate and soda or gatorade.

I'm just going to bring water. I don't eat anything during practice tests.

I'm starting to get nervous...

Hi guys, mostly been lurking the last couple months. You all have been a big help and a huge inspiration for me on this crazy MCAT journey. Just wanted to chip in and say good luck to everyone taking the test tomorrow. Trust that the curve will be favorable, but mostly trust in yourself and that all the preparation over the last few months will see you through the big day.

For the record, my scores have been (all after content review):
AAMC 4- 11/13/10 = 34
AAMC 5- 12/11/11 = 34
AAMC 7- 13/14/10 = 37
AAMC 8- 12/13/12 = 37
AAMC 9- 12/13/14 = 39
AAMC 3- 13/13/12 = 38
AAMC 10- 12/11/12 = 35
Average - 12/12.5/11.5 = 36

Kinda bummed about #10, which I took on Monday, but I think it was mostly due to burn out, since I've been taking one a day, every day for the past week. I took the last two days off, and I'm planning to do #11 at 1pm today, as the final practice run before tomorrow. Not planning to do much additional review after looking over #11, unless something glaring sticks out.

I don't want to divulge too much and spoil it for everyone who hasn't taken it yet, but I ended up getting the last three questions wrong in the passage. Mostly because i saved that passage for last and was crunched for time. But for some reason I found that one bar graph pretty difficult to interpret. Overall it wasn't too bad of a passage but definitely the hardest I've encountered in all of the AAMC's personally.

I didn't understand the ebola graph until I reviewd the passage the next day.

Good luck tomorrow guys! I'm taking it the 27th

Oh, are graphs like those common in genetics experiments?
No, but some of the notation would be really tricky without having taken genetics--and additionally, understanding how genes relate to molecular pathways. These aren't things I learned in Bio 101/102, but I'm sure some people did.

No, but some of the notation would be really tricky without having taken genetics--and additionally, understanding how genes relate to molecular pathways. These aren't things I learned in Bio 101/102, but I'm sure some people did.
Okay, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm going for a long bike ride today and then eating massive amounts of carbs.

What are you guys bringing for the breaks?

I was thinking dark chocolate and soda or gatorade.

Im bringing trail mix with chocolate. Trail mix is my go to snack for energy. High in carbs and calories its easy to eat in a time crunch. Bananas are good too.

Tommorrow, AAMC better stay faithful to the kind of problem-solving and thinking they have shown FLs rather than troll us with bigger passages and harder questions. From all the recent real MCATs being taken taken, the consensus seems to be that they are heading in a new direction, prolly cuz of 2015 MCAT.

Tommorrow, AAMC better stay faithful to the kind of problem-solving and thinking they have shown FLs rather than troll us with bigger passages and harder questions. From all the recent real MCATs being taken taken, the consensus seems to be that they are heading in a new direction, prolly cuz of 2015 MCAT.
Scores are still scaled with respect to previous test-takers who used the same practice materials and AAMC FLs, so don't worry. Knowing that the real test *may* be very different should be sufficient preparation--that is, if we see something we definitely weren't expecting, 99% weren't expecting it, and the fact that we expected to see something we weren't expecting will cut down on the anxiety.

Edit: also note that they did put out a newer 2013 Official MCAT Content Outline.

Reactions: 2 users
So does the carb loading that runners do the night before the marathon run (pasta and other starches) also be applied to test takers the night before a test. The brain burns just as much fuel so I don't see why not. Regardless I'm thinking of just taking in the following foods until the test at 1p.m.

Tonight:

1) Peanut Butter (yes just peanut butter, I'll eat spoonfuls of it, no ducks are given)
2) Can of sardines
3) boiled pasta then smeared in tomato paste

Tomorrow morning:

1) 2 Egg yolks
2) Canadian maple syrup on some pancakes.
3) A latte

During test:

1) A tiny dark chocolate bar
2) A protein shake I blended with the same maple syrup (yes I'm addicted to that stuff)
3) Bottled water and latte which I can hold both in one hand.

Anyone thinks that the Insulin Spike will drain me and kill me during the test.

Last edited:
Yeah they provide us with pencils and scratch paper. From what my friends have told me, you can't taken in anything besides your ID.

The best motivation I can give that I always tell myself that may not work for everyone is basically the trite but still truthful "there's nothing to lose". Basically, being a doctor is a lifetime so even the worst case with a year delay due to bad scores is negligible compared to what you will achieve and follow for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users