The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think for me I was disappointed that one of the gen chem topics I feel uber confident in and was the topic of at least one passage in pretty much every AAMC wasn't even mentioned in the entire test except like one discrete.

yeah for sure, I felt terrible that one of the physics passages was on a whole concept that i barely even studied for because i specifically heard that mcat doesnt usually test it often, and of course it was on there.

lmao sometimes I feel like there's no point in preparing in depth for this test sometimes... the darth vader passage makes me kind of scared. im taking the MCAT on the 27th and I really hope my test is like the later mcats... I averaged much higher on 9 10 and 11 than the previous ones. Do you guys think your test resembled the previous or later tests? or in between?
honestly for me it was like a mixture of in between, but not similar to any of the practice tests. I'm sure if you know the content well enough you can adapt, i don't mean to psych you out or anything, but for me the test felt like 85% unfamiliar like i could not have even prepared for. Even some of the concepts on the exam that I am completely comfortable with I couldn't do because of how the passage was set up/question being asked. Good luck on your exam!! so far it seems like the waiting game is the worst part lol

As a side note - where is everyone at in their application process? I am not even applying until I get my exam scores back..i feel like it will be late, but if I have to wait another year, so be it.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, I would much much rather have a test that it's impossible to study for since I feel like I did not adequately study for the MCAT (but I guess no one feels truly prepared lol). All I know is that I will be very very happy after my test on the 27th... can't wait to get this past me. hopefully I don't have to retake lmao. Can't imagine the waiting part being more anxiety inducing that the few days leading up to the test tho....
Yeah totally, I felt the same way going in - I feel like my strong suit is being able to decipher new information (similar to 9,10,11AAMC), but I don't know, for whatever reason it just felt tougher to me on the real thing. Yeah you are right, haha not AS much anxiety, but just more of a helpless feeling in my opinion haha

Haha yeah I figured you were being sarcastic lol. Using AAMC 11's curve, 10 wrong is an 11; this was definitely harder though, and I'm pretty sure the scale on the MCAT is more lenient than the AAMCs because the exams are harder + these scales are for exams that are 10+ years old

Haha yeah I figured you were being sarcastic lol. Using AAMC 11's curve, 10 wrong is an 11; this was definitely harder though, and I'm pretty sure the scale on the MCAT is more lenient than the AAMCs because the exams are harder + these scales are for exams that are 10+ years old
Right! I remember reading a thread a while ago where a guy was CONVINCED / absolutely certain he got -5 on BS and ended up with a 15. So, perhaps miracles do happen?

Right! I remember reading a thread a while ago where a guy was CONVINCED / absolutely certain he got -5 on BS and ended up with a 15. So, perhaps miracles do happen?

I remember reading that too some time ago. It's definitely possible but the section has to be pretty killer. I don't think our BS section was, which is bumming me out because I already know I got two Ochem discretes wrong that were actually easy, I just massively overcomplicated them....sigh. Who knows. Maybe our PS section will be like that. Although it does seem like people really didn't like the Ochem on this test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some true stories to (hopefully) cheer all of you up:

Friend 1: Got a 30 on AAMC 10, 32 on AAMC 11, came out of the MCAT praying for a 30, ended up with a 36 (12/12/12)

Friend 2: Got a 33 on AAMC 10, 36 on AAMC 11, came out of the MCAT and immediately signed up for a retake because he said during his BS section the computer glitched for several minutes and he had to guess on ~7-10 questions; ended up with a 38, including 12 on that BS section.

Granted, n=2, but still worth keeping in mind

that's ****ty for your friend and the glitch issue awesome she/he made out well though. I would love a generous curve, it would be so nice not to have to think about the MCAT any more

Here are some true stories to (hopefully) cheer all of you up:

Friend 1: Got a 30 on AAMC 10, 32 on AAMC 11, came out of the MCAT praying for a 30, ended up with a 36 (12/12/12)

Friend 2: Got a 33 on AAMC 10, 36 on AAMC 11, came out of the MCAT and immediately signed up for a retake because he said during his BS section the computer glitched for several minutes and he had to guess on ~7-10 questions; ended up with a 38, including 12 on that BS section.

Granted, n=2, but still worth keeping in mind
I presume friend 2 promptly cancelled that next test lol

One thing I noticed when going through PS was that I almost never used passage information to answer the questions. I'm pretty sure that 1-2 passages contained almost irrelevant information. Im glad I didn't read them since I ended up being short on time as it was

One thing I noticed when going through PS was that I almost never used passage information to answer the questions. I'm pretty sure that 1-2 passages contained almost irrelevant information. Im glad I didn't read them since I ended up being short on time as it was
I felt somewhat the same way. I used the periodic table several times. If specific passage information was directly needed, the question was most likely impossible to answer :meh:

I remember reading that too some time ago. It's definitely possible but the section has to be pretty killer. I don't think our BS section was, which is bumming me out because I already know I got two Ochem discretes wrong that were actually easy, I just massively overcomplicated them....sigh. Who knows. Maybe our PS section will be like that. Although it does seem like people really didn't like the Ochem on this test.
I also messed up on a few o chem questions because I was being stupid and overthought them. Join the party.

Ugh had like half a paragraph typed up... then the sdn app decides to force close... not retyping it hopefully the curve is to die for and we still get kn to whatever schools we are aiming for! But I think im going at my weak areas hard core starting monday after work incase I do have to retake.

Ugh had like half a paragraph typed up... then the sdn app decides to force close... not retyping it hopefully the curve is to die for and we still get kn to whatever schools we are aiming for! But I think im going at my weak areas hard core starting monday after work incase I do have to retake.
That soon? ahh man I don't want to think about anything MCAT related for at least a few weeks, when would you plan on retaking if you had to?

That soon? ahh man I don't want to think about anything MCAT related for at least a few weeks, when would you plan on retaking if you had to?
Depends on how confident I feel but I suppose one of the October dates, I figure if I wait too long I might lose some details im strong on so ill start right back up and be ready, then at least if it turns out I didn't do to bad everything's all submitted so all I will have lost is time. I'm only working now so I don't have to worrry about classes.

Depends on how confident I feel but I suppose one of the October dates, I figure if I wait too long I might lose some details im strong on so ill start right back up and be ready, then at least if it turns out I didn't do to bad everything's all submitted so all I will have lost is time. I'm only working now so I don't have to worrry about classes.
That's nice you don't have classes to worry about. What do you mean by everything is all submitted ? I haven't started my AACOMAS yet (I am applying DO) I wasnt sure if I should wait until I get my MCAT back, it seems pointless to fill it out without submitting it, am I right on this?

Last edited:
The test was legitimately as hard as any of the AAMCs (always mostly doable passages with one WTF passage). Might of been harder for certain people because they were weaker in certain areas, but from taking this test alone, it was extremely, extremely comparable to AAMC 10/11.

AAMC Average - 36

PS (13-15): For the most part, was pretty doable - a lot math questions than I expected and probably most worried for those because of stupid mistakes. I think this section played to my strengths fairly well. Also, I could of swore I've seen one of the discretes in another practice book. I can't really say much else about this part cause all my physics/chemistry knowledge cleared from my mind gearing into verbal.

VR (7-12): I have no idea how I did on this section. The readings themselves were not difficult (most of them, comparable to AAMC 10), and I felt like I understood 6/7 pretty well but there were several questions where two of the answers sounded just as good. Either way, I somehow manage to get 9s on every practice AAMC, so I expect around there.

BS (12-15): Again, as everyone has suggested, was pretty doable. The only thing I am worried about is a bad curve because of this. I know my friend who took the test a month ago thought he failed PS and destroyed BS and ended up getting 13 on PS and 10 on BS (most likely due to stupid mistakes + bad curve). For me, this section was a little tougher than the PS though since there were definitely a few discretes that I had to use strong educated guesses; these guesses, again, might be the difference between full points on the section with a bad curve.

Overall, though, I think a lot of these reactions on SDN are a little over-exaggerated, and you guys probably did a lot better than you think. The fact that on AAMC practice tests give you your score right away (which does not give you time to lament over your how badly you did) as opposed to waiting a month for it probably has a lot to do with this.

That's nice you don't have classes to worry about. What do you mean by everything is all submitted ? I haven't started my AACOMAS yet (I am applying DO) I wasnt sure if I should wait until I get my MCAT back, it seems pointless to fill it out without submitting it, am I right on this?
You can submit before having your scores back for sure! Especially since it takes a month or so for aacomas to verify your app anyway. Heck some of the schools that dont pre screen might even send you a secondary before your scores are back. But of course by the time your aacomas is verified anyway youd have scores back. I think one differentiator though is I have taken the mcat before so I do have a score already in the system, but listed this aug 21st exam as upcoming. Plus if you have the time why not start on the app and if you dont submit download and save the pdf of everything you've entered so you have it incase you decide to hold off on applying.

The test was legitimately as hard as any of the AAMCs (always mostly doable passages with one WTF passage). Might of been harder for certain people because they were weaker in certain areas, but from taking this test alone, it was extremely, extremely comparable to AAMC 10/11.

AAMC Average - 36

PS (13-15): For the most part, was pretty doable - a lot math questions than I expected and probably most worried for those because of stupid mistakes. I think this section played to my strengths fairly well. Also, I could of swore I've seen one of the discretes in another practice book. I can't really say much else about this part cause all my physics/chemistry knowledge cleared from my mind gearing into verbal.

VR (7-12): I have no idea how I did on this section. The readings themselves were not difficult (most of them, comparable to AAMC 10), and I felt like I understood 6/7 pretty well but there were several questions where two of the answers sounded just as good. Either way, I somehow manage to get 9s on every practice AAMC, so I expect around there.

BS (12-15): Again, as everyone has suggested, was pretty doable. The only thing I am worried about is a bad curve because of this. I know my friend who took the test a month ago thought he failed PS and destroyed BS and ended up getting 13 on PS and 10 on BS (most likely due to stupid mistakes + bad curve). For me, this section was a little tougher than the PS though since there were definitely a few discretes that I had to use strong educated guesses; these guesses, again, might be the difference between full points on the section with a bad curve.

Overall, though, I think a lot of these reactions on SDN are a little over-exaggerated, and you guys probably did a lot better than you think. The fact that on AAMC practice tests give you your score right away (which does not give you time to lament over your how badly you did) as opposed to waiting a month for it probably has a lot to do with this.
I've been telling myself that last part since Thursday, Altho I'm still just as anxious.

The only thing I am worried about is a bad curve because of this. I know my friend who took the test a month ago thought he failed PS and destroyed BS and ended up getting 13 on PS and 10 on BS (most likely due to stupid mistakes + bad curve).

This worries me....

I feel like I got every Bio discrete correct and can't even remember any of the passages from verbal, so I probably got a 9 Bio and 15 on verbal.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't stop beating myself up over spending 10 minutes on the Darth Vader passage and not having enough time to calculate two easy discretes at the end ARRGGHHH!!

I can't stop beating myself up over spending 10 minutes on the Darth Vader passage and not having enough time to calculate two easy discretes at the end ARRGGHHH!!
I cant stop thinking about the last discrete--or maybe it was second to last. Not gonna mention specifics, but I think it may have meant one thing while I interpreted it as meaning something else. I'll literally never know.

I cant stop thinking about the last discrete--or maybe it was second to last. Not gonna mention specifics, but I think it may have meant one thing while I interpreted it as meaning something else. I'll literally never know.
that's so weird i think i did the same thing.
you scored very well on your practice tests, right? I am curious as to what you think the curve will be like for each section. Did you truly feel like this test was more difficult than the pracitce ones, aside from test anxiety, etc. ? I totally feel like PS and BS were definitely significantly harder

that's so weird i think i did the same thing.
you scored very well on your practice tests, right? I am curious as to what you think the curve will be like for each section. Did you truly feel like this test was more difficult than the pracitce ones, aside from test anxiety, etc. ? I totally feel like PS and BS were definitely significantly harder
From my perspective, the Bio was much easier than I thought it would be--I do not remember a wtf bio passage or discrete. I have a ton of background knowledge in those areas.

PS started easy and then rapidly devolved into multiple concepts about which I had never heard or even read. Then it finished up pretty simply. The difference I noticed with PS is that the hardest passages on the real test were 10x harder than the hardest ones on any AAMC, while the easiest questions on the real were easier than the easiest on most AAMCs. A wider range of difficulty, I guess. I found some questions unanswerable.

For VR: after I spent almost 20 mins on the first two passages, I was discouraged. Every question felt hard--as in most questions seemed like they would fall into the "hard" category on the self-assessment.

My AAMC post-study average was 38.75, so I think there will be generous raw to scaled conversions on every section--i know there was at least 1-2 passages on bio that gave at least 70% of test takers trouble, but they were nothing like the chem passage on PS. That one was pointless!

From my perspective, the Bio was much easier than I thought it would be--I do not remember a wtf bio passage or discrete. I have a ton of background knowledge in those areas.

PS started easy and then rapidly devolved into multiple concepts about which I had never heard or even read. Then it finished up pretty simply. The difference I noticed with PS is that the hardest passages on the real test were 10x harder than the hardest ones on any AAMC, while the easiest questions on the real were easier than the easiest on most AAMCs. A wider range of difficulty, I guess. I found some questions unanswerable.

For VR: after I spent almost 20 mins on the first two passages, I was discouraged. Every question felt hard--as in most questions seemed like they would fall into the "hard" category on the self-assessment.

My AAMC post-study average was 38.75, so I think there will be generous raw to scaled conversions on every section--i know there was at least 1-2 passages on bio that gave at least 70% of test takers trouble, but they were nothing like the chem passage on PS. That one was pointless!

The good thing is that no section was EASIER than AAMC 11 in my opinion- bio was probably exactly the same, PS and VR definitely harder. So I'm really banking on the scale conversions for each section to not be any more strict than AAMC 11. You figure that's reasonable to conclude?

From all my experiences, I can almost guarantee that real MCAT conversion metrics are much more lenient than those found on the AAMC FLs. They have to be; there were questions on PS that I just could not answer, and, not to display hubris or anything of that sort, I think most MCAT-takers are nowhere near the level of many people on this particular thread. Thus, if we found the test difficult, it was most likely EXTREMELY difficult for at least 50% of test-takers who generated the scaling data for our test. The average composite score over the past several years is like 25-26 or something? I can definitely imagine a test wherein a person gets a total of 20 questions wrong and still comes away with a score in the mid to high 30s. Not saying it's our test, but it's most likely possible.

While I would say I didn't struggle with the BS section on the real thing, I finished with ~5 minutes left and was at max focus and had to read everything very carefully multiple times. I finished AAMC 11 with 20+ minutes left with a raw score of 51/52. So at least for Bio, the curve must must be more lenient on the real thing. I will do whatever it takes to prove to myself that I didn't fail! lol

Reactions: 3 users
Also, I think it's funny how some people saw responses from like 2-3 test takers and are now saying things like "Omg i want this test" or "It looks like August 21 had an easy test" not true at all...

From all my experiences, I can almost guarantee that real MCAT conversion metrics are much more lenient than those found on the AAMC FLs. They have to be; there were questions on PS that I just could not answer, and, not to display hubris or anything of that sort, I think most MCAT-takers are nowhere near the level of many people on this particular thread. Thus, if we found the test difficult, it was most likely EXTREMELY difficult for at least 50% of test-takers who generated the scaling data for our test. The average composite score over the past several years is like 25-26 or something? I can definitely imagine a test wherein a person gets a total of 20 questions wrong and still comes away with a score in the mid to high 30s. Not saying it's our test, but it's most likely possible.

While I would say I didn't struggle with the BS section on the real thing, I finished with ~5 minutes left and was at max focus and had to read everything very carefully multiple times. I finished AAMC 11 with 20+ minutes left with a raw score of 51/52. So at least for Bio, the curve must must be more lenient on the real thing. I will do whatever it takes to prove to myself that I didn't fail! lol
You... You give me hope.

(For the record, I thought BS was hard because of some of the random questions + my stupidity for o chem)

B.S. I consider to be hard because the topics in B.S. (like that physics-based passage, one full orgo passage, and the "theoretically orgo" passage) were pretty much unrelated to the themes presented in the FLs. I'm not saying FLs should predict you the same topics and questions, but I was hoping the format to at least be the same (orgo with fundamental knowledge, mainly bio from high-yield topics, and non-esoteric discretes) but instead ended up with what I believe to be complex orgo, esoteric discretes, and very low-yield topics. I truly missed at least 2 questions in each page of that section so I'm praying at least for an 8-9.

Which chem passage is everyone talking about lol I've been thinking about it and trying to trace my memory for the past days and I still can't remember a chem "Darth Vader" passage.

B.S. I consider to be hard because the topics in B.S. (like that physics-based passage, one full orgo passage, and the "theoretically orgo" passage) were pretty much unrelated to the themes presented in the FLs. I'm not saying FLs should predict you the same topics and questions, but I was hoping the format to at least be the same (orgo with fundamental knowledge, mainly bio from high-yield topics, and non-esoteric discretes) but instead ended up with what I believe to be complex orgo, esoteric discretes, and very low-yield topics. I truly missed at least 2 questions in each page of that section so I'm praying at least for an 8-9.
I absolutely agree with you. One of the o chem passages was structured differently and the style of question required, I feel, more guesstimating than I am comfortable. Some of the bio stand alone questions were like bio trivia of minute details, which is odd because these are often the questions that were super simple in the FLs because they asked about basic questions about organelles and overall high yield stuff. I thought the passages were fair and on par with 11, but the o chem and trivia made the test more challenging. In the past, I would complete bio with 20+ minute left. On this exam I had 5.

Was it the one with no calculations?

Also, I think it's funny how some people saw responses from like 2-3 test takers and are now saying things like "Omg i want this test" or "It looks like August 21 had an easy test" not true at all...
Right? Haha, our physics was significantly more difficult than the practice tests, our Verbal was utterly ridiculous, and the BS was SO orgo-heavy, and as an orgo TA and tutor, I found many of those orgo questions very difficult. I didn't think it was as exaggeratedly more difficult than the practice tests as the general SDN consensus would make one believe, but it was certainly no walk in the park...

Edit: And I should add, I have friends who've taken the test on some of the dates that've gotten an "infamous" reputation on SDN, and none of them expressed near the level of disconcertion as I've witnessed here. Don't get me wrong, they have all said that their tests were more difficult than the AAMCs, but most of them attributed that to the psychology behind it being the "real deal."

Last edited:
Anybody else having nightmares about this test? :cryi:
I'm just happy i'm not the only person who thought it was a challenge and will be stressed about it over the next month. It's nice to know ppl with similar practice scores have similar feelings. Misery always loves company.

I actually find this extremely offensive. Just b/c you're getting these high scores no need to go out on a limb and say "it must of been hard for everyone else." I actually thought this test was very simple and straightforward and I'm an "average composite score" Don't be arrogant.

How much scratch paper did you guys use for calculations?

In other words, just how "calculation heavy" are we talking?

I've only done AAMC 3 and 4 and I've used probably a total of 10-15 lines of scratch paper for each exam. I know these are a lot less calculation heavy though.