The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not cool... I about had a heart attack. Let's all agree, no more false alarms?

If you are naive enough to believe that the aamc will go out of their way and post scores earlier then they have done in the past 10 years, then I have a lake house in Malibu I need to sell you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course I knew the scores weren't up. Just seeing the phrase "scores are posted" when a lot of people on this thread are already anxious about how they did isn't funny. I know I probably sound like a huge douche right now, but I'm not a serious person in general at all. That just ain't cool, man.

Of course I knew the scores weren't up. Just seeing the phrase "scores are posted" when a lot of people on this thread are already anxious about how they did isn't funny. I know I probably sound like a huge douche right now, but I'm not a serious person in general at all. That just ain't cool, man.
Right, and there are rules about it because most of us feel that way.

Hello, figured I'd post something instead of always reading and saying nothing...2pm here. Clueless on how I feel I did...varies from day to day. Used AAMC practice tests and EK/TBR. Just in case I have a retake plan and date in place for Oct. Applying to a lot of schools in N.E area...NJ resident.

Just trying to relax now and enjoy the moment, for all we know that's all we got...def not easy though...

My mom was a community college professor for 40 years. Before retirement, she taught English, Creative Writing and Humanities. One of the most rewarding events that ever happened in my life was being her student in her humanities class, where I remember she discussed Leonardo da Vinci, using the quote "The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect." She continued by saying that knowledge is the only thing that never fails us, that we can revise and correct our understandings of things, but we should always be adding to what we know.

Lately, I've been reflecting a lot on that quote with relation to what I've learned for the MCAT. There are those moments that I feel like curling up in the fetal position and crying over my "wasted" summer of studying, that I'm certain I failed the exam and scored a sub-20 score. In these moments, I feel like my efforts were in vain and that all that I studied is wasted - but it isn't. We have each built a knowledge-base that will enable us to fly back through the material, covering things in more depth, faster and with more understanding if we should have to relearn and take the exam again. Those hours of studying will NEVER be taken away from us and our knowledge does NOT fail us. We will simply add more.

BTW, tomorrow we cross the halfway point.

Reactions: 8 users
My mom was a community college professor for 40 years. Before retirement, she taught English, Creative Writing and Humanities. One of the most rewarding events that ever happened in my life was being her student in her humanities class, where I remember she discussed Leonardo da Vinci, using the quote "The acquisition of any knowledge is always of use to the intellect." She continued by saying that knowledge is the only thing that never fails us, that we can revise and correct our understandings of things, but we should always be adding to what we know.

Lately, I've been reflecting a lot on that quote with relation to what I've learned for the MCAT. There are those moments that I feel like curling up in the fetal position and crying over my "wasted" summer of studying, that I'm certain I failed the exam and scored a sub-20 score. In these moments, I feel like my efforts were in vain and that all that I studied is wasted - but it isn't. We have each built a knowledge-base that will enable us to fly back through the material, covering things in more depth, faster and with more understanding if we should have to relearn and take the exam again. Those hours of studying will NEVER be taken away from us and our knowledge does NOT fail us. We will simply add more.

BTW, tomorrow we cross the halfway point.

Love this.

I talked to my advisor yesterday and he thought it would be a good idea to tell me that one of my classmates (no idea who) was averaging a 38 on his AAMCs and ended up with a 22 on the real thing. Thanks, Dr. B... 16 more days.

Members don't see this ad :)
He must have choked under the pressure of the real thing or been deathly sick. There's just no other way you drop 16 points from your average lol

Hi all, have a quick question I haven't been able to find the answer to, maybe you know? I took the test on the 7th (ugh) and decided not to void. After pondering for a while, I decided to retake it because my grandfather died the day before the test and I was emotionally shot. I'm taking it again the 27th, but I need to know if med schools will reconsider the second score or will they just look at the first score and reject my application? Does anyone know how that would work? Thanks!

Hi all, have a quick question I haven't been able to find the answer to, maybe you know? I took the test on the 7th (ugh) and decided not to void. After pondering for a while, I decided to retake it because my grandfather died the day before the test and I was emotionally shot. I'm taking it again the 27th, but I need to know if med schools will reconsider the second score or will they just look at the first score and reject my application? Does anyone know how that would work? Thanks!
You just have to select that you have taken or will have taken the test on your AMCAS application. They won't begin to review your application until your second score is in.

You just have to select that you have taken or will have taken the test on your AMCAS application. They won't begin to review your application until your second score is in.
I've already submitted the application, the only outstanding item was my MCAT score. That's why I'm wondering if they'll wait for the second score.

Really think I might have to retake now...the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll have to retake. To top it off, a friend who took the Aug 21 MCAT said she thought it was easy...... and if you look at the Aug 21 thread, there tends to be less harsh feelings...

I just hope we all get the score we want. Part of me really wants to know what I got but the other part of me is glad to be in the "ignorant bliss" of not knowing.

Really think I might have to retake now...the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll have to retake. To top it off, a friend who took the Aug 21 MCAT said she thought it was easy...... and if you look at the Aug 21 thread, there tends to be less harsh feelings...

I just hope we all get the score we want. Part of me really wants to know what I got but the other part of me is glad to be in the "ignorant bliss" of not knowing.
Just remember that if a lot of people find the test hard, a lenient scale is more likely. It seems to be pretty unanimous that the PS section was a b@&$*. Trust your average; I'm sure you did fine.

So does anybody have a general idea of the cutoff for the gift card? Or figured out any clues to how the selection works? The lowest I've seen someone who got the gift card was a 33%. Basically pure guessing would be 25% and being able to eliminate one answer choice and guessing after that would be a 33%. No big deal. Just wondering.

I just saw a Facebook status from annoying classmate who just took the test today. You know those people for whom every time they do something worthwhile, they just have to let the world know and make a big ******* announcement? Ugh I can't stand those people. Pardon my rant.

I hate people like that. i don't even consider taking the exam as something worthwhile since ANYONE can TAKE the exam... it doesn't take any skill or courage. mowing the lawn is more worthwhile. you should comment on his status and say something rude. I bet you'd get some likes.

I hate people like that. i don't even consider taking the exam as something worthwhile since ANYONE can TAKE the exam... it doesn't take any skill or courage. mowing the lawn is more worthwhile. you should comment on his status and say something rude. I bet you'd get some likes.
I just told my sister the same thing. She said I was smart because I took the MCAT. I told her that ANYONE can take it, the question is whether my score is decent, which we won't find out until the 9th.My family keeps acting like I did something major just to take it.

Last edited:
I just told my sister the same thing. She said I was smart because I took the MCAT. I told her that ANYONE can take it, the question is whether my score is decent, which we're won't find out until the 9th.My family keeps acting like I did something major just to take it.

Are you from a rural area?

I just told my sister the same thing. She said I was smart because I took the MCAT. I told her that ANYONE can take it, the question is whether my score is decent, which we're won't find out until the 9th.My family keeps acting like I did something major just to take it.
Oh yeah, but it dots take immense courage. I have been terrified of this exam for many years, to the point that I kept trying to find another career I wanted to do, even getting certified and teaching for three years, in large part because I was terrified to fail. It doesn't mean I'm smart, but it does take courage.

All the scores are known immediately after you score it imo. There is a preset curve for each question in the exam.
Do you think that they just want to verify break times and test security, like some kind of audit? I think it just doesn't make sense to wait 33 days.

Do you think that they just want to verify break times and test security, like some kind of audit? I think it just doesn't make sense to wait 33 days.

Yes, they probably slightly modify the curve. Some test takers take the test on another day imo. Then there are people who have accommodations (extra time, religious reasons, etc). Some of those people may need two days to take the test imo.

I agree. DAT test takers get their results on the same day. I wish it was like that. If I am correct, I read about the preset curve on the MCAT guide.

Just a random question but does everyone who wrote it on the same day get their test scores at the same time?? esp for our test date since it was a doubletest day. Thanks