the official COMAT shelf thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. I just checked again and my FM score is there - 109. This is the first time I’ve fallen below my school’s honors cutoff on a COMAT. It kind of stings.

My school does not give percentage weights - we have to meet *all* criteria to get honors. So, since I got a 109, I absolutely cannot honor FM 2 no matter how good the other things are. I know that preceptor is going to give me a perfect eval because she did for FM 1, so I am a little sad that I’m not going to have the COMAT score to match. I should have studied harder.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I just checked again and my FM score is there - 109. This is the first time I’ve fallen below my school’s honors cutoff on a COMAT. It kind of stings.

My school does not give percentage weights - we have to meet *all* criteria to get honors. So, since I got a 109, I absolutely cannot honor FM 2 no matter how good the other things are. I know that preceptor is going to give me a perfect eval because she did for FM 1, so I am a little sad that I’m not going to have the COMAT score to match. I should have studied harder.
This sucks. Meanwhile at my school people can honor a rotation with high 80s-low 90s as long they had a great evaluation from their preceptor. This shows how subjective clinical grades are, and residency PDs shouldn't rely on them.

Thats a pissoff. Quality score through my dude. Good setup going into step 2

Members don't see this ad :)

Same thing for me with OB. Studied my ass off and got a 107. missed honors by one point. Usually score 119+. U cant win em all. At least youll be prepared for Step 2!

Same thing here. Missed honors on FM by one point, relegated to a pass automatically. Sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Back to UWorld today after 2 months of electives. Oof.

Back to UWorld today after 2 months of electives. Oof.
I started OB today and I just got wrecked on my first block since that's the only section I haven't done. The past couple months have been electives and EM so I was basically doing new questions in familiar subjects or repeats.

I started OB today and I just got wrecked on my first block since that's the only section I haven't done. The past couple months have been electives and EM so I was basically doing new questions in familiar subjects or repeats.
OB was horrible. UW questions the comat and just the rotstion in general. Have PTSD from it lol. Im on OMM now but im just studyin for Peds comat since im tryna honor the **** out of it-OB still has me salty lol

This sucks. Meanwhile at my school people can honor a rotation with high 80s-low 90s as long they had a great evaluation from their preceptor. This shows how subjective clinical grades are, and residency PDs shouldn't rely on them.
Clinical grades are really a crock, ridiculous how much it varies from school to school. NYITCOM's HP cutoff is 110 and honors is 115 and it's all or nothing, you don't meet the COMAT score doesn't matter how good your feedback is. C'est la vie.

• Wow
Clinical grades are really a crock, ridiculous how much it varies from school to school. NYITCOM's HP cutoff is 110 and honors is 115 and it's all or nothing, you don't meet the COMAT score doesn't matter how good your feedback is. C'est la vie.
Jesus christ. I though we had it rough at KCU with 112 for honors.

We don't have a high pass though which is almost a bigger travesty in my eyes

Jesus christ. I though we had it rough at KCU with 112 for honors.

We don't have a high pass though which is almost a bigger travesty in my eyes
We don’t have a high pass either, and our preceptors grade hard.

There’s a strong possibility I’m only going to honor one rotation this entire year and just pass literally all of the others despite 3 COMATs 115 or greater (so far, I have two left to take), and I know that is not going to look so great for applying to a competitive specialty.

• Sad
Sorry for late question about VSLO. I just submitted 8 rotations, but I only need 4. Am I too naïve and I should submit much more to really get 4, meaning that many of them will decline/cancel or I should be good? I just have no idea how it works lol. Also, do they reply within 2-3 weeks or it takes longer?
Thank you.

Sorry for late question about VSLO. I just submitted 8 rotations, but I only need 4. Am I too naïve and I should submit much more to really get 4, meaning that many of them will decline/cancel or I should be good? I just have no idea how it works lol. Also, do they reply within 2-3 weeks or it takes longer?
Thank you.
I applied to 50ish rotations, for a variety of dates totaling 170 applications. over the past two weeks, I've gotten 6 yes and 12 rejections. Its a total crapshoot

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I'm hella stressed about the fact that my school grades electives/sub-Is/etc as P/F, like what are programs gonna think when they see I got a P in a sub-I??? It's just super confusing because we can honor cores, so a PD would look at my transcript and see that I did honor things, so it's not like I go to a fully P/F school, but I got a P in all of my sub-specialty electives and sub-Is. I feel like this is trivial but it's really stressing me out. Tbh I don't even know if my school will send my transcript with 4th year grades but I'm assuming they will since I have sub-Is lined up before ERAS. Ahhhhh.

• Care
Guys, I'm hella stressed about the fact that my school grades electives/sub-Is/etc as P/F, like what are programs gonna think when they see I got a P in a sub-I??? It's just super confusing because we can honor cores, so a PD would look at my transcript and see that I did honor things, so it's not like I go to a fully P/F school, but I got a P in all of my sub-specialty electives and sub-Is. I feel like this is trivial but it's really stressing me out. Tbh I don't even know if my school will send my transcript with 4th year grades but I'm assuming they will since I have sub-Is lined up before ERAS. Ahhhhh.
Lol relaaaaax. Youre going for IM with a killer step and killer 3rd year grades. I think youll be okay.

I think you mentioned you arent applying to any uber competitive academic IM programs and will be applying community IM in FL for location reasons right? You have a 255 Step 1 and honored clerkships they will be begging you to come to their program based off of that alone. I mean your stats beat the avg applicants at these programs by like 30+ points. You have ZERO to worry about ssriously lol. If you were gunning for top 25 academic IM or something then that may be something to look further into

Lol relaaaaax. Youre going for IM with a killer step and killer 3rd year grades. I think youll be okay.
I think you mentioned you arent applying to any uber competitive academic IM programs and will be applying community IM in FL for location reasons right? You have a 255 Step 1 and honored clerkships they will be begging you to come to their program based off of that alone. I mean your stats beat the avg applicants at these programs by like 30+ points. You have ZERO to worry about ssriously lol. If you were gunning for top 25 academic IM or something then that may be something to look further into
I have major imposter syndrome and I overanalyze everything to cope.

Also @Deecee2DO I am applying academic as well just not gung-ho on having to go to one or bust. My current #1 is an academic.

I have major imposter syndrome and I overanalyze everything to cope.

Also @Deecee2DO I am applying academic as well just not gung-ho on having to go to one or bust. My current #1 is an academic.
You should still be good even for academic with your stats in my opinion! With exception to Emory in GA (Top 15 IM with no DOs) all the academic programs down in the Florida/GA southeast area I could see you being super super competitive for regardless if you get a P in sub-Is but I do see how that could be frustrating for you bc it is kind of ridiculous haha

All these threads have convinced me of is that all schools should be straight pass/fail for all clinical rotations - no honors, no high passes, etc. That’s honestly the only way this would be fair. So PDs could basically 100% overlook our grades assuming we passed because they clearly mean absolutely nothing.

The only thing that actually matters is the comments on the eval IMO. At least those make it into my MSPE according to my school.

Reactions: 2 users
You should still be good even for academic with your stats in my opinion! With exception to Emory in GA (Top 15 IM with no DOs) all the academic programs down in the Florida/GA southeast area I could see you being super super competitive for regardless if you get a P in sub-Is but I do see how that could be frustrating for you bc it is kind of ridiculous haha
There are at least 2 DOs in Emory IM. Last year and this year they matched at least 1 DO.

Just got a rotation in one of the places I’d really love to do my residency at! So I’ve secured two rotations through VSAS so far. It makes me really hopeful that my app season is going to go well since I’m hearing back from places so quickly and I know I wasn’t the only person applying there. It’s giving me the warm fuzzies even though I know it doesn’t mean anything about matching at these locations in particular lol

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just got a rotation in one of the places I’d really love to do my residency at! So I’ve secured two rotations through VSAS so far. It makes me really hopeful that my app season is going to go well since I’m hearing back from places so quickly and I know I wasn’t the only person applying there. It’s giving me the warm fuzzies even though I know it doesn’t mean anything about matching at these locations in particular lol
Congrats! When did you apply? I applied to about 10-15 programs though VSAS for IM sub-Is about 3 weeks ago and havent heard back yet which means I havent made my 4th yr schedule yet

Congrats! When did you apply? I applied to about 10-15 programs though VSAS for IM sub-Is about 3 weeks ago and havent heard back yet which means I havent made my 4th yr schedule yet
I applied right away (4/15 for the ones that opened then), but my school didn’t verify all of my stuff until 4/28. So I wasn’t in host review until then. Funny, though, the two I’ve gotten opened on 4/20 and then 5/1, so I was able to apply on 5/1 and be on time for that rotation at least!

Mine are both rads so it’s probably a different game (IR and Ultrasound; am doing a DR at my third year site). I’m gonna add in some IMs too now that I’m pretty secure in the rads department.

I've heard most people are not hearing anything from VSAS, or hearing very little

I've heard most people are not hearing anything from VSAS, or hearing very little
I’ve heard similar. I haven’t heard of a single acceptance from anyone I know that applied to IM auditions. IM seems to be really thinking over their candidates.

I will also say that I had 90 something applications in at one point across at least 30 different hospitals/universities. I’m down to like 12 active apps now once I took out the months and specialties I’ve already gotten and have realized I need to add some more in. So I was very desperate motivated when it came to putting in apps initially because of how much I hate uncertainty. I’m making it rain on VSAS with my loan money.

I will also say that I had 90 something applications in at one point across at least 30 different hospitals/universities. I’m down to like 12 active apps now once I took out the months and specialties I’ve already gotten and have realized I need to add some more in. So I was very desperate motivated when it came to putting in apps initially because of how much I hate uncertainty. I’m making it rain on VSAS with my loan money.
Same here, sitting on 6 acceptances right now, and was offered 8, but I submitted the second apps opened and sent out an absurd amount.

• Love
Haven't heard back from any VSAS. I scored my one sub-I through an email application and I'm satisfied with that, I was anxious about just getting one so that I could be sure to rotate with a good program with residents for the experience. My next worry is securing an EM rotation since it's a graduation requirement for my school....that's pending. So rest of my fourth year schedule is completely empty for now.

Haven't heard back from any VSAS. I scored my one sub-I through an email application and I'm satisfied with that, I was anxious about just getting one so that I could be sure to rotate with a good program with residents for the experience. My next worry is securing an EM rotation since it's a graduation requirement for my school....that's pending. So rest of my fourth year schedule is completely empty for now.
Absolutely spazzing about trying to get a EM rotation.

clinical nexus has a ton in Florida btw, I started applying to those

Absolutely spazzing about trying to get a EM rotation.

clinical nexus has a ton in Florida btw, I started applying to those
I've applied to all of them for like every single date ha. Crickets so far.

So, sharing this in case anybody else didn't realize it. Otherwise I'm just stupid.

On VSAS if you go to tracking and then "my application history" you can see where you get rejected. I assumed we would get an email notification or something if we were rejected but I just randomly clicked there and saw a couple and it says "application denied". I didn't realize that I had only been looking at the "under review" and that it wouldn't be listed there.

Weird thing is, one spot denied me for 3 out of the 4 dates I applied to, and the fourth is left under review. So I'm like....why would they just leave on open like that to taunt me ha.

Last edited:
Got an offer for another sub-I but it's for like the end of the year and it's ~2 hours from home. I'm feeling like I don't want to shell out the money to find a place to stay there when it's literally right before match. I will be applying there for residency but it's not in my top 5. I applied for basically every date available, figure it's pointless to ask if I can have an earlier date since they didn't make an offer for one of those despite seeing I applied for many dates?

Got an offer for another sub-I but it's for like the end of the year and it's ~2 hours from home. I'm feeling like I don't want to shell out the money to find a place to stay there when it's literally right before match. I will be applying there for residency but it's not in my top 5. I applied for basically every date available, figure it's pointless to ask if I can have an earlier date since they didn't make an offer for one of those despite seeing I applied for many dates?
Can’t hurt. The worst they can do is say no! I’d ask.

Getting beat on by UW peds. Howd everyone feel about UWorld peds? So sick of getting my ass kicked by UWorld its like they can make the simplest topic nearly impossible haha

Last edited:
Getting beat on by UW peds. Howd everyone feel about UWorld peds? So sick of getting my ass kicked by UWorld its like they can make the simplest topic nearly impossible haha
Peds was the worst for me. Lots of vague presentations and question stems made to intentionally obfuscate obvious findings.

Got 2 sub-i confirmed, waiting for another 2. I only need 4. I’m also getting a lot of “we regret to inform you...” decisions. I mean I know I don’t need 160 rotations I applied to, but still hurts man 😅 Brings back unpleasant memories from my medschool application cycle 😊

I asked for different dates at two different places, one said no, one said yes

Where are you all doing your auditions? University, community or a mixture? I have both of mine at community programs (one being my base hospital) since they are within my school's hospital system and opened up early for us and both are former AOA programs. I really wanted to do one at a traditional ACGME program too but since they are limiting us to two for EM this year, I didn't want to drop the two I have since I will be applying to both for residency.

Where are you all doing your auditions? University, community or a mixture? I have both of mine at community programs (one being my base hospital) since they are within my school's hospital system and opened up early for us and both are former AOA programs. I really wanted to do one at a traditional ACGME program too but since they are limiting us to two for EM this year, I didn't want to drop the two I have since I will be applying to both for residency.
all of mine or university of academic places.

I am getting my ass handed to me, over and over again. Just missed five questions in a row. I’m taking the rest of the day off - I’m completely over it right now.

I may go back to comquest for the rest of peds. At least the comquest questions are super straightforward and I feel like I can check my knowledge better with them than this UW BS.

Mine are both university so far. Trying not to get my hopes up too high because I’d absolutely LOVE to match at one of them, but traditionally, people applying rads don’t match the places they rotated at.

I know that’s not at all the same for EM. I absolutely would not drop either of your programs if you could see yourself going there for residency.

• Love
Mine are both university so far. Trying not to get my hopes up too high because I’d absolutely LOVE to match at one of them, but traditionally, people applying rads don’t match the places they rotated at.

I know that’s not at all the same for EM. I absolutely would not drop either of your programs if you could see yourself going there for residency.
Yeah I don't think it matters as much for EM as long as my SLOEs are good but both programs are close to home and in cities I wouldn't mind living in so I don't think it'd be a good idea to drop them for the chance (no guarantee) that I could get a university program audition. I'm not aiming for the coasts or any of the more "prestigious" EM programs so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.

Got an offer for a virtual elective. Was psyched.

At the end of the email, they mentioned it costs $500 to enroll. Was suddenly less psyched lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users