**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

Started by braluk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Ace the MCAT before you apply to SMPs, which means take it by Jan '10 at the latest. Put everything you've got into a strong performance: take the test once and only once.
2. Take some more upper div science and get A's, big fat A's, before you apply to SMPs, if possible.
3. Apply to SMPs as soon as October and no later than about February, for comfort.
4. My top 3:
- EVMS
- Cincinnati
- Gtown
This would be a top 5, but I can't include Tulane because they require that you're on a med school's waitlist, and I can't include Mt. Sinai because they have a minimum 3.3 (I think).

Best of luck to you.

hey thanks for the advice, your great! 😍 anyways, I'm currently in an MCAT prep class (TPR) and am scheduled to take the Sep MCAT, and I am thinking about moving it to january, I really want to over prepare for this exam, I really want to do well. When is the deadline for most SMP's? I think its may-july. Do you think I should move my MCAT Test date back to Jan, or keep it in sept. EVMS is great from what I've heard and read, but they only accept 20-40 people? am i right. How about PCOM DO Postbacc program? anyways thanks for the advice, its golden 😍
 
stats yes. I'm not sure about the others. Call AMCAS and see if they consider it science classes. If they do then include it for your SMPs as science classes.

Oh great idea!! Thanks! Any thoughts on whether my potential long term plan might be a good choice?
 
hey guys,

I graduated last december with a 3.52 overall and 3.48 Science GPA. My mcat is a 28Q and I have already submitted my primary for 2010 application cycle. I also concurrently applied to the NYMC Accelerated masters program to boost my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school. I am a little weary cause the program is still relatively new so there is not much feedback on it yet.

I find out next week about my acceptance into the NYMC program. Would you guys recommend it? I was also thinking of just doing research full time until next year and taking my chances for 2010 cycle and then applying to Georgetowns SMP since it seems to have a good reputation. Any suggestions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I graduated last december with a 3.52 overall and 3.48 Science GPA. My mcat is a 28Q and I have already submitted my primary for 2010 application cycle. I also concurrently applied to the NYMC Accelerated masters program to boost my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school. I am a little weary cause the program is still relatively new so there is not much feedback on it yet.

I find out next week about my acceptance into the NYMC program. Would you guys recommend it? I was also thinking of just doing research full time until next year and taking my chances for 2010 cycle and then applying to Georgetowns SMP since it seems to have a good reputation. Any suggestions?

I don't think SMP is the way to go for you. Your GPA is not way outta line; rather, it is your MCAT that will keep you from getting in this year, if this turns out to be the case.

That being said, you should consider taking some postbac courses through the next year (far cheaper than SMP) and I like your idea of doing research as well. With the postbac, you can pull your GPA to 3.6ish.

Of course, the main goal will be to fix that MCAT. If you apply next year with a 3.6/32 or something, you will surely be a great candidate (based on numbers only of course).
 
Hi Guys: I've asked for advice before and you have always been very helpful. So I have another question: I sent in my Drexel IMS application on July 10 (the deadline!). All my recs and transcripts were in a week or two before then. I got a call yesterday (Thursday) saying that I passed the preliminary screening and that an admissions member wanted to schedule a 30-minute phone interview with me.

So I have an interview with an admissions person this upcoming Monday. Do you guys have any previous experience with the Drexel IMS interview? For instance, how can I prepare? What kinds of questions will they be asking? Thanks so much for your help!

I have a 34S MCAT and ~3.16 gpa, btw.
 
Hi Guys: I've asked for advice before and you have always been very helpful. So I have another question: I sent in my Drexel IMS application on July 10 (the deadline!). All my recs and transcripts were in a week or two before then. I got a call yesterday (Thursday) saying that I passed the preliminary screening and that an admissions member wanted to schedule a 30-minute phone interview with me.

So I have an interview with an admissions person this upcoming Monday. Do you guys have any previous experience with the Drexel IMS interview? For instance, how can I prepare? What kinds of questions will they be asking? Thanks so much for your help!

I have a 34S MCAT and ~3.16 gpa, btw.

From what I have heard, they ask the same type of thing the medical adcoms ask. Why this program/what do you hope to gain from this program, what is your best quality, worst quality, blah blah.

You may want to catch gujuDoc about this - she may have some firsthand experience rather than my 3rd person experience lol.
 
So I'm in a bit of a decision frenzy right now. I was accepted in April into the Medical Science Program at UNT-HSC and as I hadn't heard back from any other SMPs decided to go ahead with it. I'm now here, but have gotten into BU's and Columbia's SMP and haven't heard back from Georgetown. I am retaking the MCAT in August (I made a 26R without studying for my first one) after taking the Princeton Review Prep Class and am getting low 30s. My GPA was a 3.2 at a top university (my science GPA was the same; majored in neuroscience). I'm only taking biostats right now so i'm not too deep in coursework or too set on staying.

So the debate is...
1) Is it worth the cash to go to these private programs vs. the public one i'm in?
2) Will I be able to get into a top M.D. program? (Reality: Is the big name of Columbia or BU that big/helpful?)
3) I already have an automatic interview to TCOM, but it is a D.O. program... Will the other programs give me a better shot?

So if anyone has any advice or has gone through the BU or Columbia programs please let me know.
 
So I'm in a bit of a decision frenzy right now. I was accepted in April into the Medical Science Program at UNT-HSC and as I hadn't heard back from any other SMPs decided to go ahead with it. I'm now here, but have gotten into BU's and Columbia's SMP and haven't heard back from Georgetown. I am retaking the MCAT in August (I made a 26R without studying for my first one) after taking the Princeton Review Prep Class and am getting low 30s. My GPA was a 3.2 at a top university (my science GPA was the same; majored in neuroscience). I'm only taking biostats right now so i'm not too deep in coursework or too set on staying.

So the debate is...
1) Is it worth the cash to go to these private programs vs. the public one i'm in?
2) Will I be able to get into a top M.D. program? (Reality: Is the big name of Columbia or BU that big/helpful?)
3) I already have an automatic interview to TCOM, but it is a D.O. program... Will the other programs give me a better shot?

So if anyone has any advice or has gone through the BU or Columbia programs please let me know.

With a 3.2 I wouldn't be aiming for top MD programs. The SMP route is smart, and/but the SMP route will get you into a mid-lower tier MD school and/or your state school.

Columbia isn't in the same category as Gtown or BU. Assuming you're talking about the masters in nutrition, that's more of an accelerated traditional masters. What Gtown and BU do, that Columbia does not, is put you in medical school classes with medical students graded against the same curve. It's an audition for medical school that in many cases trumps a sub-competitive undergrad GPA. Lots of people go on to medical school from Columbia's nutrition masters, but there's no info available on what their GPA's are when they start. Between you and me, I don't think that a 3.2 and a masters from Columbia makes you ready to apply to an MD school. A 3.2 and an SMP will absolutely do the job.

I wouldn't do UNT unless you want to be a DO. People disagree with me about this and I expect to have my fanny swatted for saying it again. Swat away.

Now, I personally don't get anywhere near as excited about Boston as I do about Gtown. Boston is likely to take you 2 years. Boston has some disorganization and anonymity issues for just as much money as Gtown, which does not have those issues. Personally, if I got into Gtown the day before class starts, I'd move to DC. And otherwise I'd be going with Boston.

Look for posts by GujuDoc, who is in a very similar situation.

Best of luck to you.
 
Also, if you have TX residency, that is a super awesome precious valuable asset. Whatever you do SMP-wise, TX public schools are a killer buy.
 
Have you considered the UConn postbac program?? That's a good program to look into if you are from conneticut. Its cheaper then an SMP too.

I have heard about it, but I wasn't sure if it was as good an option. The cost is absolutely appealing though! Will it make me as competitive in applying to medical school as completing a more typical SMP at GT or Cinci?
 
I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in August of 2007 with a major in neuroscience, minor in chemistry, and a departmental certificate in the conceptual foundations of medicine. Since then, I have worked as a research assistant for the neurophysiology and neurotrauma research labs at Allegheny General Hospital’s Center for Neuroscience Research (Drexel's Regional Medical School campus - 3 publications so far). Prior to my senior year of college, I was an English writing major. I began the required neuroscience coursework my senior year and stayed a fifth year to complete it. At that time, I had not been considering attending or even applying to medical schools; however, after spending a great deal of time working in a teaching/research hospital with neurologists, neurosurgeons, and residents, I have found that I have developed an interest in medicine and would like to someday be able to practice it.

My problem is my undergraduate GPA. It is slightly under a 3.0. I am aware of the extremely high admissions standards that medical schools set (for good reason) and realize that my GPA is on the far left side of the applicant bell curve. I feel that if I knew medicine was something I wanted to pursue earlier in my undergraduate studies, I would have selected a science-related major earlier, thus having three or four years to complete the major, rather than two, and balanced my academic workload more efficiently (I had been running collegiate varsity cross country/track and also coaching it at the high school level as a part time job). These are not excuses for my current position, but rather an explanation of how I ended up where I am.

I have completed all of my pre-requisites except for a year of physics laboratory. I have a lot of undergraduate credits, so I am worried (and certain) that a major GPA increase would require years of work. Would I be better off enrolling in a post-baccalaureate program and taking undergraduate advanced science courses (along with the year of physics lab that I need) or should I complete the physics lab and then attempt to enroll in a Special Master's Program (I have not taken the MCAT)? I feel somewhat lost and as though I have “shot myself in the foot.” This is causing me a great deal of stress. I would appreciate any advice/information regarding this. Thank you.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
 
Hi guys, I recently got into both the Drexel IMS and Tufts MBS programs and need to decide which one to go to. My main concern is being able to get A's in the program. As both grade exams against the med school student overall curve, I'm concerned that Tufts will grade harder since its an overall better ranked med school. Do you guys think Drexel will be "easier" in terms of grades? Which program would you recommend? Do you know what format tests will be in for each program?
 
Hey guys,

I need some advice to applying to post-bacc programs. I have taken a look at the different categories and have narrowed my choices for the Spring semester that these programs offer.

I grad with a 2.87 overall. 17 Q MCAT. and have retaken some classes over (g-chem and o-chem, both A's) which should raise my gpa slightly

I have these schools in mind and was wondering what your input is .

1. Duquesne
2. UMDNJ (Stratford)
3. UPenn Pre-Health Specialized Studies
4. UCONN Post-Baccalaureate Program, program B
5. Hunter
6. Georgetown Post-baccalaureate Pre-Medical Certificate Program

thank you so much.
 
UConn postbac gets my vote as a good program to consider or UPenn. Harvard extension program is also an option. I'd do one of those 3 over UMDNJ Stratford. UMDNJ is more like a SMP, a DO SMP that is similar to the MD SMP at the Newark campus.

So, I have spoke to some advisors/friends/etc. about my situation, and they suggested since my MCAT sucks, they suggested I should take the GRE's around October of this year and apply for Spring semester.

I have been also kind of considering applying to PA for 2011, but we shall see.
What do you think about this
 
I am currently two years away from graduating and one year away from my application process beginning. I have a 2.8 science GPA and a 3.0 uGPA. I have tons of EC's and am not worried about that department. I want to know what my chances are of getting into the SMP at University of Cincinnati, Georgetown, or Midwestern University in Glendale. I know that if I do stellar this year, I could potentially have my science be a 3.15 and my uGPA be a 3.25. My MCAT score is a 27, but I plan to retake again in April. If anyone knows anything about these SMPs, please give me some advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently two years away from graduating and one year away from my application process beginning. I have a 2.8 science GPA and a 3.0 uGPA. I have tons of EC's and am not worried about that department. I want to know what my chances are of getting into the SMP at University of Cincinnati, Georgetown, or Midwestern University in Glendale. I know that if I do stellar this year, I could potentially have my science be a 3.15 and my uGPA be a 3.25. My MCAT score is a 27, but I plan to retake again in April. If anyone knows anything about these SMPs, please give me some advice.

If in fact you do have a stellar year (and for your sake you need to, because not only does that bring up your GPAs, but also shows an upward trend), then you're definitely a good candidate with those (potential) GPAs and a higher MCAT (30+). Cincy will definitely give you a good look, and I'm sure the other two will as well. Lots of IFs there though.. Good luck! Work hard!
 
Hi everyone,

I am a junior in college graduating a year early. My overall GPA is a 3.275... I should be able to bring it up to a 3.4 MABYE 3.5 by the time i graduate. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.

I want to graduate in the spring of 2010 and apply to the SMP program starting in Fall 2010. For this I need MCAT or GRE scores. I rather take the GRE and take the MCAT later at the end of summer for medical school.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
I am going to meet with someone from GT tomorrow and ask them what they think. But I'm not sure what to do... Is there anyone who has gone through GT's program that could tell me about their experience?

I am mostly concerned about the cost of the program, are all SMP around $40,000?
I live in Virginia if that helps.
 
I would be happy going to GT... I've been looking at their program for a while now and its seems the most straight forward to me. And they will take GRE scores 🙂
 
humm... do you think it would be better to wait another year to apply then? I have hardly started to study and I wont have finish Physics II until after Spring semester.
 
Hi everyone! I hope summer's going well for you all!!

I'm in need of some advice. About to start my senior year with a 3.37 overall, 3.2 sci GPA. I'm hoping that by the time I'm done, 3.4-3.45 overall and 3.3-3.35 science. Tough school but I also slacked much more than I should have and got mostly B's and many A/A-'s but 2 C+'s 😱. I managed to pull of a 32R on the MCAT, 10BS/12V/10PS. I've got some extracurriculars but to be honest only one of them is med related, and one is research. The rest are other stuff (IM, sorority, student gov, etc...). My letters of rec are fair; positive but generic.

I hadn't planned on going to med school but it caught my interest last year for a bunch of reasons. I understand my GPA and MCAT aren't the greatest for MD programs, and I'd prefer not to go DO, so I'm looking at doing an SMP for 1-2 yrs and then going. I'm just having difficulty gauging where I stand and whether I have a pretty good shot at a "top-tier" SMP like Georgetown, Cincy, Tufts or UPenn or one with a good admit rate to their med school (like EVMS from what I understand on this thread and maybe NYMC?). From people I've talked to at school I get two conflicting impressions: some who insist SMP's are really easy to get into as long as you're willing to file the application, which I find hard to believe, and others who insist they're almost as hard as med school these days ( 😕 followed by :scared: )

So I figured I'd come here to sort through some of that. Any ideas? :idea:
 
From people I've talked to at school I get two conflicting impressions: some who insist SMP's are really easy to get into as long as you're willing to file the application, which I find hard to believe, and others who insist they're almost as hard as med school these days ( 😕 followed by :scared: )

I didnt read the rest of your post. It isnt easy at like Georgetown or BU, but overall, yeah it is easy to get in as long as you have a 2.8+ uGPA, and a 25+ MCAT. Some SMP somewhere will take you.
 
Hey Guys,

First of all great post! I really need advice as my school does not have a pre-medical advisor. I am a current rising senior double majoring in Biology and Psychology, with a current GPA of 3.76. I am in my school's Honors Program, involved in several ECs and I've done both summer pre-medical and research programs.

I'm very embarrased to say but I really need to advice. I studied diligently for my MCAT and I took it last summer and I scored a dissappoing 16 N (6 Verbal, 5 Bio, 5 is Physical Sciences). I attempted to take the exam again this summer doing an internship and taking a Kaplan course, needless to say, that I did not improve in my practice exams and I decided to postpone it until I can figure out what to do and what to improve my MCAT score.

Then someone told me about applying to a post bac Special Master's Program. I want to do this, but I'm not sure if the deadlines have passed.

As an alternative I'm currently studying for the GREs to take them in October and hopefully do a master's program. Any suggestions, on programs that will assist me in the MCAT or preparing for medical school?

I want to become a physician and at this moment I am not sure what path to take after completion of my undergraduate degree. I have gotten various recommendations. I am deciding whether the best route to take is do a post bac program, attend graduate school, or wait another year to take extra science classes and study effectively for my MCAT.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks 🙂
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! Additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated or if anyone has experience that they would like to share, please do so!
 
Last edited:
Hi all! It has been so encouraging to read this thread and know I can still make this happen.

A bit of my story and request for advice:

I came from a great high school as a national merit student and began to attend a state university. As a sophomore, my life changed drastically and I failed several classes, lost scholarship and since my mother is poor and mentally ill I left school...one because I couldn't afford it and two..most importantly in hopes to get my life together (take care of my mother, meet my biological father and really do that soul searching thing). I wanted to continue in a year or two but here it is four years later and I am now doing just that. I am re-enrolled, a lot of my poor grades dropped due to medical issues and so I have a clean(er) slate. I have a year and a summer or fall of undergrad work to go, and currently stand with a 3.0.

I am thinking about applying for a SMP. I am a good test taker, so I know (okay-- hope) the MCAT will be good--over 32, maybe higher. I think I can graduate with a 3.3 or so in sciences. What do you think about entering in either next year if I can finish classes in time and take MCAT, or postponing a year and working in a research lab (where I spent several summers) and then either trying for med school or entering a SMP.

I hope to try for a great med school, is that in the cards everything considering (with a SMP I am guessing necessary)?

THANK YOU ALL for the great help you give to your fellow students.
 
If you get a 32+ MCAT and a 3.0 and 3.3 as your two GPAs that's good to get into an SMP esp. with a upper trend in GPA. I think you'd have a shot at a SMP and I'd apply to SMPs broadly. And if you do well in an SMP you will also have a shot at MD and DO schools both and without an SMP a chance at DO schools. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice. Do you think with upward stats of a 4.0 (or as close as I can get) for the remainder of my degree, and if I did a bit better on my mcat than that do you think I have a shot at top schools like georgetown?
 
for SMPs yes. For med school possibly not and just getting in an MD school is itself an accomplishment.

thanks for the answers! so are you saying, probably even with doing a SMP (and presumably doing very well), would a top tier school not be possible (like georgetown etc) for med school?

I appreciate your honesty, seriously. I want to be completely realistic with myself and everyone's advice here is important to me making this happen! 🙂
 
Well its hard to predict but you should be happy if you get into any med school. I have actually seen a person who did the BU MAMS program with slightly less then 3.0 ugrad and high BU MAMS GPA and 37 on the MCAT. See the thread by singing devil that someone bumped up. They got into UPitt.

So it is possible but it would depend on your whole package. In that person's case they had gone to a top tier ugrad, and may have had other stuff that worked in their favor. you should just read the thread they started a few years ago.

But things are more competitive, and its never easy to predict these things. So you can apply and dream and hope to get into such a top tier school but even people with 3.8s and 35+ don't always get into top 30 schools even if they interview. So you should not get your heart set only on such.

What is your reason for wanting to go to a top tier?? Is it that you want to go into academic medicine and do research? If so, then I'd recommend a program that has a chance for doing research and you'd need to do like 37+. But its tough to say esp. with a 3.0 GPA.

Do well in a well known SMP, apply broadly and hope for the best. That's all you can do.

thanks so so much for this info, my GPA when completed will probably be around a 3.3 overall, science the same. I have 3.0 now, and a year and a half left to finish my undergrad to bring that to a 3.3-3.4 cum. (that was my error I didn't explain that too clearly) So thats where I will be entering into a SMP.. etc.

I am interested mostly in clinical research and lab research as well. I think I need to set high goals on the MCAT and I think I can do really well there. I just have the GPA to worry over.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I apply to an SMP if I've only done half of the pre-reqs by the time i graduate (non sci major)?

thanks
 
Can I apply to an SMP if I've only done half of the pre-reqs by the time i graduate (non sci major)?

thanks

Generally no. An SMP is for people who are completely ready to apply to medical school but don't have the undergrad GPA to get in. It's the last thing you do before giving up and going to the Caribbean.

So you need to complete your prereqs (and ace them) and take the MCAT (and kill it) before you apply to an SMP.

You can always find a program that will take your money, though. There are plenty of places to finish your prereqs. Here's a list: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

Best of luck to you.
 
Hey guys, I need some advice...everything was going great for me, my AMCAS was verified a long time ago, and my secondaries were in for most medical schools, LORs in, etc..I was just waiting for my MCAT score from 7/30, and, well, this is what happened:

AAMC AVG
PS 11
VR 8
BS 11
30

7/30 MCAT
PS 10
VR 5...
BS 12

I didn't even see this coming, as that is the lowest verbal score I have EVER received....now I don't know what to do, as I know I'm going to get rejected from everywhere 🙁 My question is, should I do a SMP? I have a 3.90 overall GPA, 3.85 science GPA, LOTS of ECs, research and clinical experience (volunteering, EMS, etc).....but this MCAT score is just horrendous. I'm retaking in January and applying for the 2011 cycle. Should I go for a special master's program? Or just get a regular master's? Thanks in advance.
 
No unless you get in one with strong linkage like a minority based one. I know some schools that do take 5 as its lowest they'll accept on verbal but I'd retake if I were you.

I think I have like, 0 chance of getting in anywhere...I know people get screened out with 7's, a 5 will probably just be laughed at 🙁
 
My question is, should I do a SMP? I have a 3.90 overall GPA, 3.85 science GPA, LOTS of ECs, research and clinical experience (volunteering, EMS, etc).....but this MCAT score is just horrendous. I'm retaking in January and applying for the 2011 cycle. Should I go for a special master's program? Or just get a regular master's? Thanks in advance.

The ONLY reason to do an SMP is that your app is great EXCEPT for your GPA.

This would not be you. Put all your eggs in the MCAT retake basket. You don't need to do anything else.

Best of luck to you.
 
The ONLY reason to do an SMP is that your app is great EXCEPT for your GPA.

This would not be you. Put all your eggs in the MCAT retake basket. You don't need to do anything else.

Best of luck to you.

Agreed. Get a good score on the retake, then you can come back and see if you still need an SMP. Right now, you have no chance at med school or SMP with that score. Your score breakdown is great other than the VR, so you know what your weakness is and if you can get that up to a 9 or 10, you'll have a great score. Best of luck.
 
Hey guys, I need some advice...everything was going great for me, my AMCAS was verified a long time ago, and my secondaries were in for most medical schools, LORs in, etc..I was just waiting for my MCAT score from 7/30, and, well, this is what happened:

AAMC AVG
PS 11
VR 8
BS 11
30

7/30 MCAT
PS 10
VR 5...
BS 12

I didn't even see this coming, as that is the lowest verbal score I have EVER received....now I don't know what to do, as I know I'm going to get rejected from everywhere 🙁 My question is, should I do a SMP? I have a 3.90 overall GPA, 3.85 science GPA, LOTS of ECs, research and clinical experience (volunteering, EMS, etc).....but this MCAT score is just horrendous. I'm retaking in January and applying for the 2011 cycle. Should I go for a special master's program? Or just get a regular master's? Thanks in advance.

No SMP. Don't need a masters either. Just stay busy in medically-related activities and nail the MCAT. You'll be fine.
 
Hey, everyone. Forgive me in advance, but I haven't read this thread in its entirety (after a certain point, it becomes pretty arduous!).

A major complaint that I have with SMPs is that, at the end of the day, it seems nigh-impossible to really effectively assess the strength of my application, as it is.

To wit:

UG GPA:

Per AMCAS - 3.13c, 2.81ns, 2.47s

MCAT:

04/2006 - 34R (PS: 8, VR: 14, BS: 12)
07/2009 - 38P (PS: 14, VR: 12, BS: 12)

BUMAMS GPA:

4.00, finished 09/09

To the best of my knowledge, great recs from several members of the adcom at BUSM.

Where should I be aiming here? That's the hardest part for me, as I'm confident I can get in, but that's predicated on optimal distribution of schools.
 
Hey, everyone. Forgive me in advance, but I haven't read this thread in its entirety (after a certain point, it becomes pretty arduous!).

A major complaint that I have with SMPs is that, at the end of the day, it seems nigh-impossible to really effectively assess the strength of my application, as it is.

To wit:

UG GPA:

Per AMCAS - 3.13c, 2.81ns, 2.47s

MCAT:

04/2006 - 34R (PS: 8, VR: 14, BS: 12)
07/2009 - 38P (PS: 14, VR: 12, BS: 12)

BUMAMS GPA:

4.00, finished 09/09

To the best of my knowledge, great recs from several members of the adcom at BUSM.

Where should I be aiming here? That's the hardest part for me, as I'm confident I can get in, but that's predicated on optimal distribution of schools.

You mean you didn't want to read all 804 posts before yours? Where's the dedication??

First, a quick question (and perhaps I'm missing something...it was a long week). But how do you get a cumulative 3.13, when you have a non-sci GPA of 2.81 and a sci GPA of 2.47??

Great job with that 4.0 and averaging pretty much a 36Q on your two MCATs. As to where to apply, I would definitely, at the very least, apply to schools that have similar programs...G-town, Cincinnati, BU, Tufts, Loyola, Tulane, EVMS, etc. Tons of schools out in the MidWest and East Coast have SMP or SMP-like programs. Now of course I'm biased to Cincy, but I will tell you that in my current class, there are 175 people, and of those, about 25 or so have come from SMP programs (the largest contingents being from Cincy's and G-town's SMPs), myself included. I also know first hand that Creighton is a big fan of SMP grads.

So your best bet is going for a school that has it's own SMP (as I mentioned above) or one that is well aware of what SMPs are and what they entail (i.e. Creighton and the like). Just my two cents... Good luck, live long and prosper, go get 'em
 
You mean you didn't want to read all 804 posts before yours? Where's the dedication??

First, a quick question (and perhaps I'm missing something...it was a long week). But how do you get a cumulative 3.13, when you have a non-sci GPA of 2.81 and a sci GPA of 2.47??

Right you are. Strike that, reverse it. 2.82 cum, 3.13 non-sci.

Thanks for your input. That's pretty much the way I was looking, but I wasn't entirely sure!
 
To SMP or to not SMP??

I have a PharmD degree (2 years "undergrad" and 4 years "grad" according to AMCAS)

Undergrad:
3.02s, 3.15ns, 3.08c

Grad:
3.5s, 3.26ns, 3.28c

MCAT:
Sept 08: 28O (8P/11V/9B)
June 08: 26O (7P/9V/10B)

I work as a pharmacist at a hospital in the PICU/NICU (lots of patient contact, rounding daily, work closely w/ residents/attendings/nurses), volunteer at a hospice currently, had previous volunteer work at a crisis hotline, and did abroad volunteer work for a summer during pharmacy school (in central america).

In the 2009 cycle, I applied to 25 schools (MD, no DO) and didn't get any interviews. I took the Sept '08 mcat, which pushed my complete dates until like, late October, early November.

Any advice?? Thanks so much!!
 
To SMP or to not SMP??

No SMP. You need an undergraduate degree and you need better numbers. It would seem you don't know about the MSAR, which describes each school's requirements and the average stats for accepted students. Nobody is going to take the science from a pharm program as the prereqs for med school, unfortunately. 60% of applicants are rejected and that's not an unqualified pool.

Assume that your PharmD is about the same as a paramedic license, in the eyes of med school admissions. It'll give you an edge in terms of exposure to medicine and maturity - you're a health care career changer - and you're all set up to kill pharm in 2nd year. But your professional degree doesn't give admissions committees any insight into how well you'll do in medical school (apples & oranges). They have to use your undergrad numbers and your MCAT to compare you to the vast hordes of overqualified 21 year olds, and this is where you lose. Your graduate GPA is all but ignored; your PharmD is a really great extra-curricular.

I'd say your first order of business is to get somebody in admissions, from one of the schools that rejected you, to give you the time of day and tell you what's wrong with your app. See if I'm wrong or not. You can also pay somebody like Judy Colwell to advise you.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PharmD's do 2 years of undergrad (some have 0-6 programs, where you do it all under the pharm school, and some are 2-4 programs, where you do regular undergrad bio,chem, phys, etc w/ regular undergrad, and then go to the pharm program). So my program was a 2-4, so the prereqs are done, of course, since I applied last year.

Thanks for your opinions!
 
I'm about to be a 4th year at UCI. Slacking off intermittently during my college career has really taken a toll on my GPA and any shot at admissions to a medical school.

Here are my stats:
Major: Biological Sciences
2.92 Science GPA (BPCM); 3.17 Overall GPA; 10-PS 10-BS 8VS: 28Q

(Studying to retake my MCAT's in January 2010)

EC's: I have done a year of research with my Genetics professor, 40 hours of volunteer work at a major hospital, and I'm going to volunteer the rest of next year at a hospital.

I'm signed up for a somewhat heavy course-load my 4th year. Taking about 15-17 units of mostly upper-division science classes. Taking one non-science class a quarter for GE requirements.

I want to ask if I have a shot at getting into SMP programs of BU, Georgetown, or Tulane. I have researched these schools and really like what is offered at these schools. I'm also considering going to the Caribbean's, but will only do so if I don't get into an SMP.
 
I'm about to be a 4th year at UCI. Slacking off intermittently during my college career has really taken a toll on my GPA and any shot at admissions to a medical school.

Here are my stats:
Major: Biological Sciences
2.92 Science GPA (BPCM); 3.17 Overall GPA; 10-PS 10-BS 8VS: 28Q

(Studying to retake my MCAT's in January 2010)

EC's: I have done a year of research with my Genetics professor, 40 hours of volunteer work at a major hospital, and I'm going to volunteer the rest of next year at a hospital.

I'm signed up for a somewhat heavy course-load my 4th year. Taking about 15-17 units of mostly upper-division science classes. Taking one non-science class a quarter for GE requirements.

I want to ask if I have a shot at getting into SMP programs of BU, Georgetown, or Tulane. I have researched these schools and really like what is offered at these schools. I'm also considering going to the Caribbean's, but will only do so if I don't get into an SMP.

i think for you to get into an SMP you'd have to have a good upward trend in GPA + do well in your final year.
 
Thanks halekulani.

Yea thats the thing, as far as an upward GPA trend, it is intermittent. I'll have a couple of quarters in which i get a 3.5-3.6 then a quarter in which i get below a 3.0.

I'm going to give it my all my last year, but if anyone can answer this it would be appreciated: I'm going to apply to an SMP at the end of February because by then I will have completed a quarter of my senior year as well as have retaken my MCAT's (shooting for a 30-32). I also want to show the SMP schools my winter and spring quarter grades in order to boost my chances of acceptance. If they reject me before the winter or spring can I reapply with the new grades? I realize I can apply later, but since its rolling admissions I want to minimize my chances at being rejected.
 
Thanks halekulani.

Yea thats the thing, as far as an upward GPA trend, it is intermittent. I'll have a couple of quarters in which i get a 3.5-3.6 then a quarter in which i get below a 3.0.

I'm going to give it my all my last year, but if anyone can answer this it would be appreciated: I'm going to apply to an SMP at the end of February because by then I will have completed a quarter of my senior year as well as have retaken my MCAT's (shooting for a 30-32). I also want to show the SMP schools my winter and spring quarter grades in order to boost my chances of acceptance. If they reject me before the winter or spring can I reapply with the new grades? I realize I can apply later, but since its rolling admissions I want to minimize my chances at being rejected.

Former UCI grad here too..awhile ago though. I didn't put forth enough effort either and I had similar stats to you when I was said and done. I'll PM you my thoughts later today/tonight (I have a medical physio quiz in 30 mins!), since we came from similar situations and I ended up doing an SMP and subsequently got accepted to med school. Just curious, who are you doing your research with? Does Dr. Rose and Dr. Weiss still teach genetics??