-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread
Started by cjcarter
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sooo when I took the exam in sept. I took AAMC 3,4 & 8 (I think) and averaged a 24. I left that exam feeling soooooo good. I was thinking I would score like in the 30's. I got a 25. Before the 23rd exam I averaged a 30 on 10&11 and I left this exam feeling like I took differential advanced calculus in Cantonese.....(I knows nothing about this language so you get my point). I'm wondering how accurate that thing is with the people who felt great after scoring lower and people who felt awful scoring higher. Lord help us!
NO apparent correlation between how you feel after the exam and the outcome of the actual exam. I've talked to people who walked out of the MCAT saying that it was extremely easy but lo and behold they were retaking the same day I was taking mine (23rd of January). At the same time a classmate of mine took the MCAT and said that there was nothing on the MCAT that was a "surprise" and that everything on there was expected. He ended up with a 40+ (not going to say his actual score).
I do think it's notable that although the mean difference between practice AAMC scores and real scores is very small, there's quite a large standard deviation of +/- nearly 3 points. Unless I'm misinterpreting this, it suggests that while a thread's AAMC practice average is good at predicting a thread's real average, there will be quite a lot of variation in individuals. (And by "thread" I mean SDNers posting on their particular MCAT date's thread; their MCAT cohort, if you will.)
Or I guess the SDN lore of your AAMC practice +/- 2 points is almost accurate; from this analysis it looks like it's +/- 3 points. But, when you actually think about that, it means that if you have a 34 AAMC practice average, your real deal is likely to fall somewhere between 31 and 37...which are two completely different ballgames. And that's just the standard deviation, which means that thee are plenty of people with 34 practice averages who would score <31 or >37.
So I'm not entirely convinced that this data supports the idea that individuals should be confident in their practice averages. I'd feel differently if the standard deviation weren't so high.
All we can do is wait! Obsess and wait, that is.
I could not agree more. Average scores don't tell that much. I have said this for a long time, your actual score comes down to how you preform that day. If your scoring in the mid 20s don't expect a score in the mid 30s. But if your averaging 11+ on your sections than I honestly think anything is fair game. At that point every question can equal a whole point depending on the curve on that exam. I've uploaded a pdf file with the score conversion charts courtesy of @NYR56 I will also include the conversion charts in this post. Basically it shows that the difference between a 32 (124 total right) and 38 (131 total right) is about 7 questions (depending on the breakdown). To me this confirms the fact that it comes down to how you preform on test day.
MCAT Practice Test 3-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Sciences Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Sciences Raw Scores
15 52-52 40-40 51-52
14 51-51 39-39 49-50
13 48-50 38-38 47-48
12 46-47 35-37 45-46
11 43-45 33-34 43-44
10 39-42 29-32 40-42
9 36-38 26-28 36-39
8 33-35 24-25 32-35
7 29-32 22-23 29-31
6 24-28 19-21 25-28
5 21-23 18-18 22-24
4 16-20 16-17 19-21
3 13-15 14-15 16-18
2 10-12 11-13 14-15
1 0-9 0-10 0-13
MCAT Practice Test 4-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Sciences Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Sciences Raw Scores
15 52-52 40-40 50-52
14 50-51 39-39 48-49
13 48-49 37-38 46-47
12 45-47 35-36 45-45
11 43-44 33-34 42-44
10 39-42 31-32 39-41
9 36-38 27-30 35-38
8 33-35 25-26 32-34
7 29-32 23-24 29-31
6 25-28 20-22 26-28
5 21-24 18-19 22-25
4 17-20 16-17 19-21
3 13-16 14-15 16-18
2 9-12 10-13 13-15
1 0-8 0-9 0-12
MCAT Practice Test 5-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Sciences Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Sciences Raw Scores
15 52-52 49-40 50-52
14 50-51 38-38 49-49
13 47-49 37-37 46-48
12 45-46 35-36 44-45
11 43-44 32-34 41-43
10 39-42 30-31 38-40
9 37-38 28-29 35-37
8 32-36 25-27 32-34
7 28-31 23-24 29-31
6 23-27 20-22 26-28
5 20-22 18-19 23-25
4 17-19 16-17 20-22
3 11-16 13-15 16-19
2 4-10 9-12 12-15
1 0-3 0-8 0-11
MCAT Practice Test 6-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Sciences Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Sciences Raw Scores
15 50-52 40-40 51-52
14 49-49 39-39 49-50
13 46-48 37-38 46-48
12 45-45 36-36 43-45
11 42-44 32-35 41-42
10 39-41 30-31 37-40
9 36-38 28-29 33-36
8 33-35 26-27 30-32
7 29-32 23-25 28-29
6 25-28 20-22 25-27
5 21-24 18-19 23-24
4 17-20 15-17 20-22
3 12-16 13-14 18-19
2 8-11 9-12 14-17
2 0-7 0-8 0-13
MCAT Practice Test 7-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 51-52 39-40 51-52
14 50-50 38-38 49-50
13 47-49 37-37 47-48
12 46-46 36-36 44-46
11 44-45 33-35 42-43
10 40-43 31-32 37-41
9 37-39 29-30 34-36
8 34-36 26-28 30-33
7 29-33 24-25 27-29
6 25-28 20-23 24-26
5 19-24 18-19 22-23
4 15-18 15-17 18-21
3 10-14 13-14 15-17
2 7-9 8-12 11-14
1 0-6 0-7 0-10
MCAT Practice Test 8-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 52-52 39-40 51-52
14 49-51 38-38 49-50
13 47-48 36-37 47-48
12 44-46 35-35 45-46
11 43-43 33-34 41-44
10 39-42 30-32 38-40
9 36-38 28-29 33-37
8 33-35 26-27 29-32
7 30-32 23-25 26-28
6 26-29 20-22 23-25
5 22-25 18-19 20-22
4 17-21 15-17 18-19
3 12-16 12-14 15-17
2 8-11 9-11 11-14
1 0-7 0-8 0-10
MCAT Practice Test 9-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 51-52 40-40 52-52
14 49-50 39-39 50-51
13 47-48 37-38 48-49
12 44-46 36-36 45-47
11 41-43 32-35 43-44
10 38-40 30-31 39-42
9 35-37 26-29 35-38
8 31-34 24-25 31-34
7 27-30 21-23 27-30
6 23-26 18-20 23-26
5 20-22 17-17 20-22
4 16-19 15-16 18-19
3 13-15 13-14 14-17
2 11-12 9-12 9-13
1 0-10 0-8 0-8
MCAT Practice Test 10-CBT
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 52-52 40-40 51-52
14 50-51 39-39 50-50
13 49-49 38-38 47-49
12 46-48 37-37 46-46
11 44-45 34-36 43-45
10 41-43 31-33 39-42
9 38-40 29-30 35-38
8 33-37 27-28 32-34
7 28-32 24-26 29-31
6 23-27 21-23 26-28
5 19-22 19-20 23-25
4 15-18 15-18 20-22
3 11-14 12-14 16-19
2 8-10 9-11 14-15
1 0-7 0-8 0-13
MCAT Practice Test 11
Estimated Scaled Score Physical Science Raw Scores Verbal Reasoning Raw Scores Biological Science Raw Scores
15 52-52 40-40 50-52
14 49-51 39-39 48-49
13 47-48 37-38 47-47
12 45-46 36-36 44-46
11 42-44 32-35 41-43
10 38-41 29-31 36-40
9 35-37 27-28 33-35
8 31-34 24-26 29-32
7 26-30 21-23 27-28
6 22-25 18-20 24-26
5 19-21 16-17 22-23
4 16-18 14-15 19-21
3 11-15 12-13 16-18
2 6-10 10-11 15-15
1 0-5 0-9 0-14
Attachments
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As Judgment Day gets closer, I'm less nervous than straight up terrified. The idea of logging on and actually seeing a score genuinely makes me feel ill. Forget February 24 – I just want to skip to about a week after scores come out.
This * 10^1000000. I thought I got between a 26-28 when I walked out on Jan 8th...ended up with >35. So, don't trust post-test feelings.
I hope this doesn't work both ways....

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it would be pretty surprising to go below where I started studying, which was already DO territory, and I *like* DO. It's not for everyone, but I really think I'd love OMM, given the chance. I'd move back to California and live in a treefort in the redwoods and deliver babies out of the back of a hippie van. Or out of a hospital, I'm flexible.
For real though, I got real peaceful about this wait once I started thinking about that. It's just hard to not get sucked into the mentality of MD-or-die. Anyone else in this thread feel that way?
For real though, I got real peaceful about this wait once I started thinking about that. It's just hard to not get sucked into the mentality of MD-or-die. Anyone else in this thread feel that way?
Last edited:
So while THE Orgo passage could have been fair game on the test, just take a look at the organic chemistry that will be tested on the new MCAT (link below).
Of course this doesn't mean it definitively was or wasn't experimental, but I'm just sayin some of the topics in the link look familiar enough that I don't think we can altogether rule out the possibility that some of it could have been experimental 😀
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...knowledgemapconcepts2/368560/cpfbfc5cc5d.html
Of course this doesn't mean it definitively was or wasn't experimental, but I'm just sayin some of the topics in the link look familiar enough that I don't think we can altogether rule out the possibility that some of it could have been experimental 😀
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...knowledgemapconcepts2/368560/cpfbfc5cc5d.html
Does anyone else not feel like they hit their average? Everyone always says trust your average, but I feel like I underperformed. 🙁 I just want to see my score. I'm second guessing my decision to retake a 29 🙁 I feel crappy manggggg
I have spent the past three weeks trying so hard to predict how well I did, but I am increasingly realizing that I have absolutely no clue. I didn't feel great walking out of the test center, but I also never felt great at the end of practice tests. The only difference is that now we get a month to over-analyze the stupid thing... You're definitely not the only one who feels like they underperformed – it seems like almost all of us do. But there's also no way to actually know and, unfortunately, no amount of combing through SDN is going to help.Does anyone else not feel like they hit their average? Everyone always says trust your average, but I feel like I underperformed. 🙁 I just want to see my score. I'm second guessing my decision to retake a 29 🙁 I feel crappy manggggg
So while THE Orgo passage could have been fair game on the test, just take a look at the organic chemistry that will be tested on the new MCAT (link below).
Of course this doesn't mean it definitively was or wasn't experimental, but I'm just sayin some of the topics in the link look familiar enough that I don't think we can altogether rule out the possibility that some of it could have been experimental 😀
https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...knowledgemapconcepts2/368560/cpfbfc5cc5d.html
Ummm wth! Those sample questions are crazy!
Ummm wth! Those sample questions are crazy!
lol I just tried to answer them and got all of them wrong....
9 days left. single digit territory. But you know... who cares.
Last edited:
Started making promises with gods of all religions at this point, if they just help me out this one time.
Honestly, I think I've come to the realization that we all probably did about what we think, as long as we didn't leave questions blank. There is just too much of a time gap between taking the test and seeing the score. I'm sure we all took practice tests we thought we bombed but still did fine.
Praying for myself and all of us. Gluck guys!
Honestly, I think I've come to the realization that we all probably did about what we think, as long as we didn't leave questions blank. There is just too much of a time gap between taking the test and seeing the score. I'm sure we all took practice tests we thought we bombed but still did fine.
Praying for myself and all of us. Gluck guys!
Agreed, PS seemed really hard because there wasn't much high yield chem on it, it all seemed tricky heavy calculation based physics and i struggled to finish the section. It's usually my worst section (although I felt worse than normal after it, had to really shake it off mentally during the break before starting verbal). Praying we get a good scale on it. Verbal seemed reasonable nothing crazy, and the Bio passages seemed easy to me except for the harder than expected/impossible orgo, so that probably averages out.
I don't remember the PS having alot of calculations......hmmmmm am I having a brain fart?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Odd unit conversions are all I remember (and thankfully reviewed on the train that morning)...
You got to ride a train to the MCAT!? How awesome...Rollin' up at Prometric like a boss.
Yes, this was enough to make me make my first post. Really, I just stalk these threads looking for consolation.
https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/Do we log onto the e-mcat website to look at the score when it is available?
You got to ride a train to the MCAT!? How awesome...Rollin' up at Prometric like a boss.
Yes, this was enough to make me make my first post. Really, I just stalk these threads looking for consolation.
In a lot of big cities that's the only way to roll up to prometric! As I was crammed on the train with a bunch of commuters I was jealous of the folks who got to have alone time in the car. 🙂
Do we log onto the e-mcat website to look at the score when it is available?
No, I think it's the regular AAMC site under testing history.
As Judgment Day gets closer, I'm less nervous than straight up terrified. The idea of logging on and actually seeing a score genuinely makes me feel ill. Forget February 24 – I just want to skip to about a week after scores come out.
I completely agree. There is something actually nice at this point about NOT knowing.
Regardless, I'm getting a drink Tuesday night.
Finished "The House of God" last week. Definitely helped to alleviate my anxiety by reading this hilarious, wild and compassionate novel. The problem is that I need to find another book for the next 7-8 days...
thats a great book, debated reading the sequel, if you do let me know how it stacks up
OMG this entire time for some reason I thought we were getting our scores on saturday, now I've realized its not until tuesday lol. I'm freaked out, I called aamc to make sure I didn't void lol. Do you guys know if most schools take your best score or average the two or what? ugh this wait sucks.
Hey guys,
so I took my very first MCAT on 1/13/15, and I had a panic attack. I got the results today, and I did bad. I got a score lower than my first diagnostic test score. I really should have voided it, but I didn't, thinking that this was going to be the last old MCAT and that I will use this to study harder for the new one. BUT, I got lucky and was able take it again on 1/23/15. I was able to finish every section, but on the verbal, I got a really bad diarrhea (after eating banana for snack..BAD idea), and had to rush through everything. I am scared that I might have bombed the verbal section....T^T
I am so scared for this one, because if I didn't do well on this one, I am giving up on medicine... I don't know how my future will be. I had it figured out all along. I have 3.93 GPA at a top research school...and I was so sure that I was going to do well on MCAT and go to medical school my whole life...Then, this happened..I am really crushed..and so NERVOUS for 2/24..
so I took my very first MCAT on 1/13/15, and I had a panic attack. I got the results today, and I did bad. I got a score lower than my first diagnostic test score. I really should have voided it, but I didn't, thinking that this was going to be the last old MCAT and that I will use this to study harder for the new one. BUT, I got lucky and was able take it again on 1/23/15. I was able to finish every section, but on the verbal, I got a really bad diarrhea (after eating banana for snack..BAD idea), and had to rush through everything. I am scared that I might have bombed the verbal section....T^T
I am so scared for this one, because if I didn't do well on this one, I am giving up on medicine... I don't know how my future will be. I had it figured out all along. I have 3.93 GPA at a top research school...and I was so sure that I was going to do well on MCAT and go to medical school my whole life...Then, this happened..I am really crushed..and so NERVOUS for 2/24..
Last edited:
Hey guys,
so I took my very first MCAT on 1/13/15, and I had a panic attack. I got the results today, and I did bad. I got a 27, lower than my first diagnostic test score. I really should have voided it, but I didn't, thinking that this was going to be the last old MCAT and that I will use this to study harder for the new one. BUT, I got lucky and was able take it again on 1/23/15. I was able to finish every section, but on the verbal, I got a really bad diarrhea (after eating banana for snack..BAD idea), and had to rush through everything. I am scared that I might have bombed the verbal section....T^T
I am so scared for this one, because if I didn't do well on this one, I am giving up on medicine... I don't know how my future will be. I had it figured out all along. I have 3.93 GPA at a top research school...and I was so sure that I was going to do well on MCAT and go to medical school my whole life...Then, this happened..I am really crushed..and so NERVOUS for 2/24..
Man, that's brutal. I seriously don't understand how a profession like medicine can still boil itself down to this one stupid standardized test score. It's just stupid.
You sound like such a good candidate. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, but an extra cross for you.
Hey guys,
so I took my very first MCAT on 1/13/15, and I had a panic attack. I got the results today, and I did bad. I got a 27, lower than my first diagnostic test score. I really should have voided it, but I didn't, thinking that this was going to be the last old MCAT and that I will use this to study harder for the new one. BUT, I got lucky and was able take it again on 1/23/15. I was able to finish every section, but on the verbal, I got a really bad diarrhea (after eating banana for snack..BAD idea), and had to rush through everything. I am scared that I might have bombed the verbal section....T^T
I am so scared for this one, because if I didn't do well on this one, I am giving up on medicine... I don't know how my future will be. I had it figured out all along. I have 3.93 GPA at a top research school...and I was so sure that I was going to do well on MCAT and go to medical school my whole life...Then, this happened..I am really crushed..and so NERVOUS for 2/24..
Have you thought about applying to DO programs? With that gpa you should be fine (even with the 27 mcat, although you'll likely do better when we get our scores next week). If all you've wanted your whole life is to be a doctor, applying DO seems very reasonable to me.
Hey guys,
so I took my very first MCAT on 1/13/15, and I had a panic attack. I got the results today, and I did bad. I got a 27, lower than my first diagnostic test score. I really should have voided it, but I didn't, thinking that this was going to be the last old MCAT and that I will use this to study harder for the new one. BUT, I got lucky and was able take it again on 1/23/15. I was able to finish every section, but on the verbal, I got a really bad diarrhea (after eating banana for snack..BAD idea), and had to rush through everything. I am scared that I might have bombed the verbal section....T^T
I am so scared for this one, because if I didn't do well on this one, I am giving up on medicine... I don't know how my future will be. I had it figured out all along. I have 3.93 GPA at a top research school...and I was so sure that I was going to do well on MCAT and go to medical school my whole life...Then, this happened..I am really crushed..and so NERVOUS for 2/24..
Man I wish I had taken it on the 13th and had the option to retake it 10 days later. I had a huge freak out on the 23rd in the PS section (first time test taker)... and knowing you have no other chance to prove you can do well is just about the worst feeling ever. I'm sure you did well on the 23rd. Don't give up hope just yet!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. 1/13 test taker here.
Don't be discouraged if you felt bad after the exam just because you think you might have messed up on some easy questions. you could be pleasantly surprised when you get your scores back (the good kind of "pleasantly surprised" haha).
I thought I completely bombed the test but ended up scoring above my average...so trust in yourselves!
Good luck yall
Don't be discouraged if you felt bad after the exam just because you think you might have messed up on some easy questions. you could be pleasantly surprised when you get your scores back (the good kind of "pleasantly surprised" haha).
I thought I completely bombed the test but ended up scoring above my average...so trust in yourselves!
Good luck yall
OK, so we're next!!!
I need some advice though guys. I'm trying to apply to MD schools in NYC. I have a 3.75 science GPA and a decent list of extracurriculars, but I felt PRETTY AWFUL after I walked out of my exam. What score would constitute a retake for me? I wanna decide now because I feel like once I know my score, I'm gonna be biased about retaking it.
If anyone out there has some advice, please share 🙁
I need some advice though guys. I'm trying to apply to MD schools in NYC. I have a 3.75 science GPA and a decent list of extracurriculars, but I felt PRETTY AWFUL after I walked out of my exam. What score would constitute a retake for me? I wanna decide now because I feel like once I know my score, I'm gonna be biased about retaking it.
If anyone out there has some advice, please share 🙁
I am gonna pick up the sequel from library soon. It should be a good one to read as well.thats a great book, debated reading the sequel, if you do let me know how it stacks up
Ikr? I was asking myself the same thing. I don't think there's actually a simple answer to this question. There are multiple factors to which the waiting can be ascribed, such as politics, money, logistics, etc.. I think, historically, the AAMC has always wanted to separate itself from other the branches of healthcare. I don't know. Maybe it's just a pride thing. Maybe they just want to keep the "prestige" halo physicians once enjoyed. In the past, they used to say that the waiting is due to essay grading, scores analysis, and other statistical calculations. However, with today's software technology and the essay portion being excluded, it's very likely that they can hand out scores the same day but they just choose not to.The PCAT and DAT takers get their scores immediately. Why do we have to wait? especially there is no writing section anymore.
Last edited:
Ikr? I was asking myself the same thing. I don't think there's actually a simple answer to this question. There are multiple factors to which the waiting can be ascribed, such as politics, money, logistics, etc.. I think, historically, the AAMC has always wanted to separate itself from other the branches of healthcare. I don't know. Maybe it's just a pride thing. Maybe they just want to keep the "prestige" halo physicians once enjoyed. In the past, they used to say that the waiting is due to essay grading, scores analysis, and other statistical calculations. However, with today's software technology and the essay portion being excluded, it's very likely that they can hand out scores the same day but they just choose not to.
I think they make us wait a month so we can go through the proper stages of grieving
My first thought was it's so a bunch of frayed pre-meds wouldn't crank up testing facilities' insurance rates by wrecking the joints. <---the powerful life wisdom of the non-trad.I think they make us wait a month so we can go through the proper stages of grieving
I feel like I have a mini panic attack everyday D: reading this posts definitely did not help....
I can't stop thinking about how I had to rush through probably the last twelve questions of PS. I remember those questions actually seeming(?) mercifully simpler than the stuff that slowed me down in the earlier passages, but.
🙁
Same.
I think it's starting to hit me that I'm getting my scores on Tuesday. Feeling sick and queasy now 🙁
I keep seeing everything as a sign that it went well or poorly. The light changed to green just as I was approaching an intersection? Good sign! I'll get good news on Tuesday! Chipotle out of sofritas the one day I let myself eat out? Oh no! Must have failed the MCAT!
Totally don't believe in that stuff, but I can't help myself at the moment 🙂
Totally don't believe in that stuff, but I can't help myself at the moment 🙂
I thought I was the only one who did that lol!I keep seeing everything as a sign that it went well or poorly. The light changed to green just as I was approaching an intersection? Good sign! I'll get good news on Tuesday! Chipotle out of sofritas the one day I let myself eat out? Oh no! Must have failed the MCAT!
Totally don't believe in that stuff, but I can't help myself at the moment 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep seeing everything as a sign that it went well or poorly. The light changed to green just as I was approaching an intersection? Good sign! I'll get good news on Tuesday! Chipotle out of sofritas the one day I let myself eat out? Oh no! Must have failed the MCAT!
Totally don't believe in that stuff, but I can't help myself at the moment 🙂
The vending machine today gave me 2 snack bars for the price of 1.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E