The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
i'm taking it on the 23rd! :unsure: started the sn2ed plan this week

Last edited:
Registered today. Got my scores back from August 15, 2014 test. 27 isn't going to cut it. Trying to get at least a 30. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!!

I've been lurking on SDN for a long time. Always finding amazing encouragement through the posts.

I finally signed up for Jan 23rd here in San Diego. Super pumped!!!

I am a non-traditional self-studying.

I have Kaplan 5 subject...Exam Krackers verbal and Exam Krackers 1001 for each subject.

I really love YouTube videos when a concept is just not hitting home. I've recently come upon lea4sci.com. She had amazing videos, tips and tricks to answer questions better and faster.

I am also still in my final year, maybe someone is out there feeling my pain...MCAT studying and going to school?!?? Womp womp

Also taking it then. Beginning studying next Wednesday, the 24th.

Full-time school, part-time work, student government. I've tried to look on the bright side - even though I have hard classes this semester, most of them really relate to the MCAT and enhance my specific knowledge. In that way, every second of studying for them is doing double duty.

I'm using EK for Bio and O Chem, EK 101 and TPRH for Verbal, and BR for Gen Chem and Physics.

Good luck to everyone! Let's send the 2014 MCAT out with a bang!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys!

I am taking the exam in January as well! I started studying this week, as I will be working full-time come October...

Best of luck everyone!

-A

Ello,

Been lurkin and now I'm part of the team! I digress, will actually be taking it on the 13th of January, and I want to try to get some more shadowing in when I can, really miss being in the hospital, it's like a second home to me.

I will be using TBR SN2ed along with TPR, (of course this includes EK), but I am also using some of Chad's videos and altius while I build up review guides that I type up that incorporates tactics and information from all sources about particular topics. Overkill? "Maybe, maybe not, maybe f*** yourself"-The Departed

Good luck and Godspeed you magnificent microwaves.

Ello,

Been lurkin and now I'm part of the team! I digress, will actually be taking it on the 13th of January, and I want to try to get some more shadowing in when I can, really miss being in the hospital, it's like a second home to me.

I will be using TBR SN2ed along with TPR, (of course this includes EK), but I am also using some of Chad's videos and altius while I build up review guides that I type up that incorporates tactics and information from all sources about particular topics. Overkill? "Maybe, maybe not, maybe f*** yourself"-The Departed

Good luck and Godspeed you magnificent microwaves.

lol first time i've heard of magnificent microwaves. I will also be taking it on this date. Was originally gonna take it in November 7th, but studying was going as well and I felt rushed/started sn2 too late, so here I am.

Planning to take it on this date, haven't registered yet, but I doubt spots will fill up quickly here in rural NH.

Just started studying this week. Currently doing the e-Course from the people that do MCAT question of the day, really liking it so far! I'm working fulltime and volunteering some nights, so I'm really only able to do about 3hrs of studying max/night--hopefully I can make up for that with some hardcore studying on the weekends.

Do any of you have any great time management tips, or just things you find really helpful for maintaining your sanity while studying? Would love to hear from everyone.
Goodluck everybody!

Planning to take it on this date, haven't registered yet, but I doubt spots will fill up quickly here in rural NH.

Just started studying this week. Currently doing the e-Course from the people that do MCAT question of the day, really liking it so far! I'm working fulltime and volunteering some nights, so I'm really only able to do about 3hrs of studying max/night--hopefully I can make up for that with some hardcore studying on the weekends.

Do any of you have any great time management tips, or just things you find really helpful for maintaining your sanity while studying? Would love to hear from everyone.
Goodluck everybody!

actually, nevermind, Just registered for January 15th instead because I'd rather take the 1pm exam :)

Goodluck everybody!

I like to use an app called Wunderlist on my phone/ computer. I make a list with every single complete thing that needs to be done, feels good to check things off.

Just registered yesterday,

No testing centers in NJ... :( Anyway, planning to retake on Jan 23rd. Planning to do SN2ed along with TPRH course to the best of my absolute ability with the importance on TBR's passages. Still trying to find the best way to optimize my sn2ed/tprh combo but what i'm thinking is just using tprh for content instead of tbr and follow through the tbr passages and assigned tpr hw accordingly. Starting next monday, but just watching Chad's videos and reviewing my notes to get ready for the journey ahead.

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a Kaplan course and so I'm using their books and online resources :) Also trying to treat my science courses as MCAT material when possible/relatable!

Also taking it then. Beginning studying next Wednesday, the 24th.

Full-time school, part-time work, student government. I've tried to look on the bright side - even though I have hard classes this semester, most of them really relate to the MCAT and enhance my specific knowledge. In that way, every second of studying for them is doing double duty.

I'm using EK for Bio and O Chem, EK 101 and TPRH for Verbal, and BR for Gen Chem and Physics.

Good luck to everyone! Let's send the 2014 MCAT out with a bang!

Ditto dude. Full-time school. Full time work and volunteering But taking Orgo II and Physio. So I have similar thoughts as you with the double duty!!!

I am studying 2-5 hours a day for MCAT, usually in the AM and more on the weekends. I just made a large colorful, poster calender on my bedroom wall. Crossing off each day as it comes. I think the calender has me pumped or maybe I just love office supplies. Either way....

20 WEEKS!!!!

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!!!

You guys are all on top of your ****! Giving me motivation to start on Tuesday. I'm also scribing and taking one class currently so it's gunna suck a bit. I have EK, EK 1001, TPRH verbal and TBR for chem and physics. Probably going to use wiki premed too. Good luck everyone!

TPR Bio is infinitely more difficult than the other subjects, and those weren't easy either. I had to modify the schedule for the first week because I am so slow and now I might have to take another whole day for Bio... that is going to push back the Review+ EK1001 days (btw planning to use TPR/Chad video quizzes instead of EK1001) Seriously this biology book is crazy crazy

TPR Bio is infinitely more difficult than the other subjects, and those weren't easy either. I had to modify the schedule for the first week because I am so slow and now I might have to take another whole day for Bio... that is going to push back the Review+ EK1001 days (btw planning to use TPR/Chad video quizzes instead of EK1001) Seriously this biology book is crazy crazy

TBR bio is insane as well

Taking it this date as well. Full time undergrad taking physics II and Orgo II and working part time + volunteering 3hrs a week. I hope I'll be able to manage everything and do well on the mcat.

GL everyone

Just registered yesterday,

No testing centers in NJ... :( Anyway, planning to retake on Jan 23rd. Planning to do SN2ed along with TPRH course to the best of my absolute ability with the importance on TBR's passages. Still trying to find the best way to optimize my sn2ed/tprh combo but what i'm thinking is just using tprh for content instead of tbr and follow through the tbr passages and assigned tpr hw accordingly. Starting next monday, but just watching Chad's videos and reviewing my notes to get ready for the journey ahead.

Good luck everybody!
HeyyI just changed my date from the 13th to the 23rd. I registered for a TPR course that ends on the 15th of January. Following Sn2ed currently as well. How was your first study day?

HeyyI just changed my date from the 13th to the 23rd. I registered for a TPR course that ends on the 15th of January. Following Sn2ed currently as well. How was your first study day?

It was good, yesterday I tackled some weak physics sections I was on, starting with fluids and elasticity of solids. Did 6 passages and did 3 verbal. I'm trying to get accustomed to reading more verbal and playing around with strategies. So far I have found EK's method to be most fruitful. My TPR course starts Oct 4, and my weakest section is bio so I wanna reread bio before I start. As of now I'm tackling my weak PS sections. How's everybody's studying?

Hello, just started studying yesterday using SN2ed. Full time grad student (9 credits). I'm a retaker so I"m hoping this is my very last time because i absolutely do NOT want to take the new exam. Good luck to us all!

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3

The MCAT definitely isn't something to rush. November will be here before you know it and if you truly don't feel ready, I would sign up for January. Plus you need to get caught up with school and taking in January will allow you even more time to study during break in December. Figure out your weak points, get them down, and be confident that by the time January comes, you'll be ready. Good luck!

I switched to this test date from November 7th :)
Time to crack down on the studying. I plan on doing 1 chapter from physics/gen chem (both) per week and practice questions here and there.

How many chapters a study session are you guys going through? Sometimes I feel like it takes me forever to get through one chapter from the subject books. :/

How many chapters a study session are you guys going through? Sometimes I feel like it takes me forever to get through one chapter from the subject books. :/
I've been trying to follow Sn2ed, but I have taken multiple days on bio twice now.

I'm so scared. This test date is ~11X days away. I was initially working on Verbal in September, but things came up and here I am one month later still not really in gear :( Time to go and do the 95 day SN2ed method (it's not really 90 days guys, it's actually 95 with breaks and stuff and with many people saying they need to makeup work from one day on other days, it could very well be longer so start now)!!

I am not sure how many of you follow reddit (or am I even allowed to talk about reddit here??), but they have a section called 90daysgoal, which starts October 4th. I'm committed to doing that and a big part of that will be focusing on the MCAT. So here's to no more procrastination (even if it's legitimate and warranted).

You are not alone. Many people in this subreddit seem to feel that way! I think I'm going to just gloss over the content review and take only very important notes/meager notes/a general general outline if you will and head straight to the passages, since that's where the true learning will happen. :arghh:

Greetings! Finally registered after months of lurking...

I've just started getting serious about studying but I'm actually finding it hard to focus because I've taken the classes so recently that I always want to skip through things quickly because I feel like I know it, though I'm sure I need the practice with the format and everything. Blessing and a curse, I guess. Are most of you in school now? Working?

I've just started getting serious about studying but I'm actually finding it hard to focus because I've taken the classes so recently that I always want to skip through things quickly because I feel like I know it, though I'm sure I need the practice with the format and everything. Blessing and a curse, I guess. Are most of you in school now? Working?

Shadowing doctors, and studying. Graduated a little while back. What about yourself?

Shadowing doctors, and studying. Graduated a little while back. What about yourself?
Graduated in May, currently finishing up my required classes (switched to pre-med as a senior after majoring in English), working part-time, volunteering at a hospital...a little of everything I guess.

Was thinking about signing up for this date after my October date as a back up and the only places that are open now are Alberta and Guam! Do you think aamc would open more test site?

Not in school, not working. Just volunteering and MCAT. I'm several years out of some prereqs and especially rusty in biology. If content review is redundant, you could probably focus more on practice questions and passages. Best way to find out what you don't know.

How is everyone's studying going? What is one thing that is working, one that isn't working?

For me, my verbal passages are finally improving. I've been doing ~3 passages a day alternating EK101 and TPRH for almost a month. I was scoring in the 60-70% range at first, now low 80%s. I think what has helped is 1) read first paragraph 2) read least paragraph, then reading the whole passage.

And for one thing that isn't working (and there are so many things not working lol) I am struggling with biology, period. I stink at the EK in-class exams/section quizzes within the chapters. TBR Bio is really difficult, sometimes I don't understand the passages with the answer key open. I have only been reading and casually making Anki flashcards for biology.

Taking this date too and have a difficult class schedule, thought it was gonna be super easy but I was wrong! I just started studying last week, unfortunately the only books I had available were EKs lectures and 1001s, and verbal 101. They were given to me and I am short on cash sadly!
I am going to go through these books through the semester, then after exams I will have ~6 weeks to stud full time and I will do FLS and also hopefully get my hands on TPR verbal workbook and go through the AAMC SAs since I have them from FAP. I am hoping to really nail down my weaknesses then.

Man @Sisu00 I have the same problem with bio! I am doing great in physics and alright in verbal but my bio is garbage! I guess for me bio was a few years ago compared to physics and chem which are within the past year. SO I am doing some content stuff, plus it seems EK wants a lot more knowledge that isn;t provided in the passage vs what the real thing is like, or so I hear. I am doing flashcards also, hopefully it helps for both of us!

Is anyone here crazy enough to be schedule for the Jan 2015 MCAT while employed and/or taking classes?

Is anyone here crazy enough to be schedule for the Jan 2015 MCAT while employed and/or taking classes?
I am! Two classes and a part-time job, but I think/hope/pray it'll be okay. January 23 is right at the end of winter break so that's a solid six weeks of nothing leading up.

Guys, I am thinking of switching my MCAT date from November 7 to any dates in January. Please please please please please let me know if you are dropping your Jan spot. I am looking for centers in Ontario (preferably Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa), but honestly, anything in Ontario would work! Thanks! :)

Hello, I am looking to register for any of the Jan spots, if anyone is dropping their spot please let me know anywhere around Virginia or Illinois. Thank you in advance.

Guys, I am thinking of switching my MCAT date from November 7 to any dates in January. Please please please please please let me know if you are dropping your Jan spot. I am looking for centers in Ontario (preferably Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa), but honestly, anything in Ontario would work! Thanks! :)

how would you just give your spot away??

Are there any Jan test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

Anyone dropping their spot in Ontario, please let me know! PM me please..I would be forever grateful!!!

Hi all! Now that it's official, I'll join the thread.

I'm taking the exam in Vestal, NY on 1/23. I am NOT from NY (from NC, in fact), so I will be flying to the exam :/ I would love any locals to give me some scoop!

Anyway, I am currently working full time; taking Orgo 2, Bio 2, and Bio 2 lab; and taking TPR's 105-hour MCAT course. I am trying really hard to balance everything and so far it's going... okay. Anyone have any tips for managing my time better?

Also... is anyone else going to gain about 100 pounds studying for this thing? I'm not a big cook anyway, but now my first thought when I get home is "Time to study... Where's that takeout menu...?" :oops:

I've been a longtime lurker and am so excited to finally join the club!

I'm taking it on 1/23. Fellow San Diegan here. Taking full time classes at SDSU and working one day per week. Trying to make SN2ed's schedule happen as best I can, but also banking on the fact that I have like 5 weeks of solid studying afterward to really solidify things in my mind. All the best of luck to those taking on 1/23, and erallahmos, if you ever want to link up and do some sort of group study thing I'd be up for it!

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you balancing work and/or class with studying, how are you organizing your study time? I really want to be able to stick to a consistent study schedule, but it's hard when I'm juggling so many different things.