You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread
Started by Saxappeal1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
how is everyone doing? take any FLs lately?
I've been taking them every two days, scoring upper 20s, still trying to crack 30! Just took AAMC 4 10/10/7...not too surprised about the 7 I was tired and rushed through BS. I finished the section with 30 mins left...need to build up that mental stamina 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Took AAMC 8 today 36 13-11-12... Just been taking tests and reviewing content basically and tryna keep my verbal from dropping.. my greatest fear is the MCAT is alot different than AAMCS and score is way lower lol
I've been taking them every two days, scoring upper 20s, still trying to crack 30! Just took AAMC 4 10/10/7...not too surprised about the 7 I was tired and rushed through BS. I finished the section with 30 mins left...need to build up that mental stamina 🙁
same! I took AAMC 5 about 9 days ago and got a 8/10/11....so close to cracking a 30...haha
taking AAMC 7 Thursday, crossing my fingers !
Took AAMC 8 today 36 13-11-12... Just been taking tests and reviewing content basically and tryna keep my verbal from dropping.. my greatest fear is the MCAT is alot different than AAMCS and score is way lower lol
wow thats awesome!
______
To both of you-are you using any other FLs aside from the AAMCs? Whatcha using for content review?
Well I did use TPR tests which were harder but I think helped me alot. But for these last 2.5 weeks Ill just be doing AAMCs and AAMC self assessments. For content review I am using TPR and notes that I took when reading TPR books. I just think TPR is the "Goldylocks" company in MCAT prep. Its not too detailed like TBR and not too vague like Examkrackers.
not gunna lie tho upper level sciences and a few key test taking philosophies has really been helping me
some of the discretes are so out there in Bio, I would never have known them if I hadnt taken physiology and genetics lol
some of the discretes are so out there in Bio, I would never have known them if I hadnt taken physiology and genetics lol
using TPR for content review, also feel that upper level science courses have helped me a lot
31 on GS5: 11/9/11. If I got this in real life I would dance on my work table singing "im a little teapot."
Nice lol I heard the GS exams were tough
anybody know from searching SDN if the June Mcats tend to be harder with a better curve or easier with a strict curve?
anybody know from searching SDN if the June Mcats tend to be harder with a better curve or easier with a strict curve?
I wish I had gotten the chance to take anything upper level, aside from bchem.not gunna lie tho upper level sciences and a few key test taking philosophies has really been helping me
some of the discretes are so out there in Bio, I would never have known them if I hadnt taken physiology and genetics lol
what do you mean by key philosophies?
Nice lol I heard the GS exams were tough
anybody know from searching SDN if the June Mcats tend to be harder with a better curve or easier with a strict curve?
I looked into this before! I was wondering if like winter month MCATs were curved better for some reason- from what I recall reading they do something where they put them all on a level playing field where it supposedly doesn't matter what month you take it.
dunno how reliable this is, or accurate for that matter, but I'd like to think I didn't shoot myself in the foot by picking June haha
http://www.nextstepmcat.com/best-and-worst-times-to-take-the-mcat/
The GS exams are pretty damn tough. Im saving AAMC 8, 10, and 11 for the final 8 days before MCAT. How is everyone? I mean so far I'm at 28,29,31,27,29,31. Ranges: PS: 9-11, VR 8-10, BS: 9-11.
lol vanilla bear I got a 29 on AAMC5 as well, 11/10/8. But that was an unlucky break for BS, Im doing much better now in BS, thank god lol
Started content review immediately after finals (May 8 I think). Started taking AAMC FLs a few days ago. AAMC 3: 27. AAMC 4: 32. Pretty happy w/ those scores. Not sure which one to believe. One of the key differences between the two was my attitude going into them. For AAMC 3, I was nervous, scared I'd be way below my goal, etc. For #4, I pumped myself, and gave myself a huge ego boost pre-exam. Paid off! Also, I agree, upper level science courses (genetics + physiology) have helped me w/ quite a number of questions so far. I plan on finishing the lot of the FLs by June 16 or so. Then taking the rest of the time off to recalibrate.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@henshouse what were the breakdowns of those two AAMCS?
anyone else think verbal reasoning on aamc 9 was bit*h? My lowest score in months--->6
I got a 10, so I guess it wasnt so bad for me lol. But, VR itself is a bitch. 

I swear when I read the solutions on a VR test it is like I'm reading BS. And I dont mean Biological science 😛
Thanks for the post!! and i mean when you take so many tests some of the questions start to blend.. like in bio everyone complains about experimental passages but if you look at it like an experiment ( independent variable dependent, control data etc) it starts feelig alot easierI wish I had gotten the chance to take anything upper level, aside from bchem.
what do you mean by key philosophies?
I looked into this before! I was wondering if like winter month MCATs were curved better for some reason- from what I recall reading they do something where they put them all on a level playing field where it supposedly doesn't matter what month you take it.
dunno how reliable this is, or accurate for that matter, but I'd like to think I didn't shoot myself in the foot by picking June haha
http://www.nextstepmcat.com/best-and-worst-times-to-take-the-mcat/
similarly for physics EVERY question can be answered with a formula.. questions like how does gravity affect thiss.. its tricking you to use ur intuition but if u use ur formulas right and see that gravity cancels out and doesnt affect the value.. theres ur answer..
its things like this that has been helping me
and so far scores moving slowly up
29, 33, 34,35,36
For tpr tests i usually get 30-32
29, 33, 34,35,36
For tpr tests i usually get 30-32
that isn't slowly, that's actually rather quickly....
Haha, how far apart were those tests?
Last edited:
I've been taking them every two days, scoring upper 20s, still trying to crack 30! Just took AAMC 4 10/10/7...not too surprised about the 7 I was tired and rushed through BS. I finished the section with 30 mins left...need to build up that mental stamina 🙁
I did 10/11/7 on AAMC 4 also last week....felt the bio was much more difficult than usual on this one...
We're just less than 2.5 weeks out guys (and girls)...aside from AAMC tests, what else can you recommend I do?
As it stands now, I'm basically going through the AAMC content outline and watching Chad's videos/looking up information on content I'm not perfectly comofrtable with. Doing about 50-60 TPRH workbook quesitons as well...anything else?
As it stands now, I'm basically going through the AAMC content outline and watching Chad's videos/looking up information on content I'm not perfectly comofrtable with. Doing about 50-60 TPRH workbook quesitons as well...anything else?
Those tests were a week apart.. i think aamc 3 was a bit of a fluke cuz it was my first test and i got an 8 on verbal when i usually get 10-11.. but i mean ive just been following the spinach method on sdn and so far its been working
yanks start really reviewing ur practice material and make flashcards on errors you make to hone your test taking skills.
How do you guys make flash cards for some of these questions....
For instance, if I miss something because I forget what aldosterone does...okay, that's easy.
But when it's something directly from the passage I missed...how the hell do you make a flash card from that?
For instance, if I miss something because I forget what aldosterone does...okay, that's easy.
But when it's something directly from the passage I missed...how the hell do you make a flash card from that?
How did everyone feel about AAMC9? I got 10/9/9 which I'm not too upset about, thought the bio was pretty damn hard.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@yanks26dmb I don't really make flashcards anymore, there just get to be too many of them.
How did everyone feel about AAMC9? I got 10/9/9 which I'm not too upset about, thought the bio was pretty damn hard.
10/6/10... Verbal arghhh
BS: thought the kidney passage was kinda tricky, messed up on evolution and the stupid bacterial growth graph
I dont understand the AAMC tests categories.. apparently AAMC 3-5 had like 11-15 hard questions whereas the later AAMCs some of them only have 4 hard questions but they definetely feel harder.
And yanks I also keep a mistake journal so that could be one way to categorize that mistake.
I would write something like " If a question seems abnormally difficult go back to the passage to search for the answer"
Its stupid and childish but I make less of those mistakes when I write them down.
I would write something like " If a question seems abnormally difficult go back to the passage to search for the answer"
Its stupid and childish but I make less of those mistakes when I write them down.
yanks I'm going to start using Gold Standard practice tests for fresh material, I've taken all the AAMCs over a year ago and I don't really feel like I'm remembering old questions, but just to be sure I'm taking new GS tests and seeing where I score.
has anyone else looked at a calendar and freaked out a little bit? 

Sax Appeal Idk if i asked this before but how does the real thing compare to the AAMCs in terms of style and difficulty?
Here is the way I have seen it/compared it in my mind the past couple of months:
PS: Most similar to GS, much harder then AAMC PS.
VR: About equal or a little harder/longer than EK 101 Verbal
BS: Close to AAMC tests in style but mine was pretty hard.
So I use GS for PS/BS, AAMC for BS, and EK 101 for verbal. That, in my mind and from what I have heard from other people as well, resembles the real test the most.
PS: Most similar to GS, much harder then AAMC PS.
VR: About equal or a little harder/longer than EK 101 Verbal
BS: Close to AAMC tests in style but mine was pretty hard.
So I use GS for PS/BS, AAMC for BS, and EK 101 for verbal. That, in my mind and from what I have heard from other people as well, resembles the real test the most.
Dam now im worried about PS lol ive been using pretty simple materials like TPR and AAMCs.. what was difficult about it? calculation heavy or just wierdness in passages?
lol @XxSynapsexX I wouldn't call TPR simple. Besides you got a 36 on AAMC 8 and show an amazing increase. I wouldn't be worried.
Lol i guess your right.. alright im done being a neurotic pre-med lmaoo
I just started taking full lengths two weeks ago
AAMC 3 (10/12/12)34
AAMC 4 (12/14/13) 39
TPR 2 (8/10/10) 28
I have no idea what happened with the TPR exam but I don't think I'm going to be taking any more of them...too much of a blow to the confidence. Verbal has always been really strong for me (I originally when to college to be a lawyer so I've taken the dreaded LSAT). However, physics is hard for me. Are you guys just straight memorizing the formulas? I'm also kind of concerned with orgo, particularly the carb. acid derivatives. You guys discover any way to remember these?
AAMC 3 (10/12/12)34
AAMC 4 (12/14/13) 39
TPR 2 (8/10/10) 28
I have no idea what happened with the TPR exam but I don't think I'm going to be taking any more of them...too much of a blow to the confidence. Verbal has always been really strong for me (I originally when to college to be a lawyer so I've taken the dreaded LSAT). However, physics is hard for me. Are you guys just straight memorizing the formulas? I'm also kind of concerned with orgo, particularly the carb. acid derivatives. You guys discover any way to remember these?
I would do some very desperate things for those verbal scores @AspiringDoc2015 and TPR is supposed to be harder than AAMCs, plus AAMC 3/4 don't seem to be as representative of testing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Saxappeal1 Yeah, I started with 3/4 mainly to get a feel for the layout and test my timing. I'm gonna finish up the next 2.5 weeks with 7-11 and the diagnostics. For verbal, I found on the LSAT (and similarly, so far, for the MCAT) that when you narrow it down to two choices the credited response is usually the more convoluted response. Out of all of the TPR verbal passages I've done, it seems pretty easy to identify and eliminate the strongly opinionated and out of scope responses, so I'm typically able to narrow it down to two choices. I think most of the studying I do will be for PS since it seems like AAMC has turned that section into a beast the last few months...
ehh my BS was the bad one, PS seemed ok when I took it.
are you guys/gals submitting your AMCAS before you get your MCAT scores? I was aiming to do it within the next week myself, just putting the finishing touches on my personal statement and need to edit my activity descriptions.
^^ HELL NO. Im paranoid lol
Haha, I'm only going to add one school, just so its verified, then add the rest once I get my MCAT score in July (and hopefully love it!) haha
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E