The Official June 5, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: Not sure; most of them were taken during studying. AAMC 9-11 were 37, 38, 36.
Post-test expected score: 32-34
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 (11/9/13)
Comments: Really upset right now. I am a chronic underestimater of my own exam scores, so I was really hoping I'd be where I was in the two weeks before the exam. I knew I had choked because I was so nervous, but that 9 in verbal tied my diagnostic. I was consistently 11-12 by the end of it. Was hoping for top-tier schools. Now, I think I'll have to add 5 more lower-tier schools. Combined post-bacc and undergrad GPA = 3.99, but I went to a small liberal arts college.

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 30-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (12/11/15)
Comments: Just ecstatic. I don't even know what to say. Leaving the test I was confident but I wasn't sure what to think. Obviously PS was quite difficult so I am happy with that score. The BS didn't seem easy, I really had to think my way through it. I must have gotten lucky on a few guesses :)

Reactions: 7 users
FL AAMC Average: 32.5
Post-test expected score: 26-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) Edited, but close to my average.
Comments: Ecstatic. I thought PS destroyed me. I'll see you guys on the other side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 30-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (11/9/12)
Comments: Slightly underperformed. Trying to decide if I should retake.

Similar situation as aspiringERMD. 4.0 cGPA, great extracurriculars and LORs. Applied to many top tier schools and afraid MCAT score might hurt me. Any insight?

FL AAMC Average: N/A (Explained below)
Post-test expected score: 34-36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (12/11/12)
Comments:
I took it last summer and got a 30 (9/10/11) and unfortunately I still remembered most of the AAMC passages or at least the tricky questions so I only took one exam and got a 34 and decided to stop and just do EK 30 minute exams. I guess it paid off as this was my minimum score to be happy :)

Also, idk if this is that relevant but I took this a week before my finals lol #trimesters

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
New
Test Date:
6/05/2014
FL AAMC Average: 25
Post-test expected score: no clue
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 28 (9/9/10)
Comments: Definitely an improvement over my averages but I am still kind of bummed considering I found my groove at the end of my studies. However, my friends have convinced me not to retake. I will probably apply DO as well as MD and call it a day. VERY happy about verbal though. I was scoring 4s and 5s on it through the entirety of my studying until the last 2 weeks where I started scoring 9s and 10s.

Reactions: 6 users
FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 28-33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34
(12/11/11)
Comments: I just turned 33 a couple of weeks ago. I did my undergrad and an MSc and have been working in science a few years and decided that it's now or never for this doctor thing. I got the 5-pack of Kaplan books and a friend lent me a TPR book to study. So I studied about an hour or two a day for eight months. Oh and I used the EK 101 passages in VR to help me there. So if you're a mature student, don't let these little whippersnaps intimidate you. Work hard and it will pay off.

Edit: This is also exactly my AAMC 11 score.

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/11/11)
Comments: Happy with the balanced score and relieved to get my AAMC average.

Study materials:
Bio: EK
Verbal: EK 101 passages
Gen Chem: TPR
Physics: I took physics this past semester but used TPR a little to review (probably could have done more)
Ochem: I took the cumulative ACS exam in May and everything on this test was a breeze compared to that.

FL AAMC Average: 31.33
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31
(10/11/10)
Comments: Not happy but that's my fault. I only studied hard for about 2.5 weeks because of graduation, finals, etc. and was making stupid mistakes on the three practice exams I took. I plan on retaking it. My GPA isn't stellar so I was hoping to balance it out with my MCAT score.
that's an awesome score, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 37
Post-test expected score: 32-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38
(15/11/12)
Comments: PS was always my strongest section, but I left the test feeling a bit uneasy. Thankfully it turned out well. I was surprised by my reading score because I was getting 9-10s on the AAMC practice tests. The BS was a bit wordy and I slowed down which probably caused my BS score to drop. Overall, extremely happy!

Reactions: 4 users
Post-test expected score: 30-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS)
38 (12/11/15)
Comments: Just ecstatic. I don't even know what to say. Leaving the test I was confident but I wasn't sure what to think. Obviously PS was quite difficult so I am happy with that score. The BS didn't seem easy, I really had to think my way through it. I must have gotten lucky on a few guesses :)

Any tips for BS?

FL AAMC Average: 27.5
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (8/10/11)
Comments: Been lurking for a long long time. Can't say I'm surprised, but I was really itching for that 30 to be sure I didn't want to retake!! Gen chem gets me every time...

Looks you're in the exact same position as me. At least your 29 was all 8+ though. I can't believe I got a 7 in PS... physics and chem were my strong classes I just really didn't spend enough time learning formulas.

FL AAMC Average: 28 (AAMC 9: 32; AAMC 10: 28; AAMC 11: 26) (highest practice test-32, 2nd highest- 29)
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (12/10/10)
Comments: THANK YOU LORD JESUS! This is legitimately a miracle, I did not think I did this well. I think the biggest thing that helped me was Gold Standard Practice exams. A month before the MCAT I would do the PS and BS of GS exams, go over the mistakes, and make a list of everything I learned; those exams are also very calculation oriented which helped push my limits. For everyone who got the score they wanted-congrats :) and if u need to take it again, don't give up, keep on going!

FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: ??? No clue
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 37
Comments:
Thrilled and relieved. Got a 7 in VR on my first mcat. First time around I didn't really practice verbal that much (stupid decision) but the second time around I used EK 101, tprh, and some kaplan passages. If you struggle with verbal, practice your timing and see where you're making mistakes. Congrats to everyone who reached their target and good luck to anyone who has to retake!

Last edited:
pretty devastated...First mcat: 11/4/11

Now: 12/4/12....it looks like I've zero chance for MD...sigh....

I don't know what's going on with verbal....i really tried hard and was averaging around 8 in my practice....idk
Same situation here, also ESL. Plan to retake in a month. Expect at least hit 6 for verbal.

FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: Applying to MD/PhD. I've been studying sense the test and I'm considering retaking. I have a 4.0 gpa, good research, track and field NCAA all-american, and great letters of recommendation. Should I retake, or do you guys think I'm good where I'm at?

FL AAMC Average:
Post-test expected score: ??? No clue
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 37 (11/12/14)
Comments:
Thrilled and relieved. Got a 7 in VR on my first mcat. First time around I didn't really practice verbal that much (stupid decision) but the second time around I used ek 101, tprh, and some kaplan passages. If you struggle with verbal, practice your timing and see where you're making mistakes. Congrats to everyone who reached their target and good luck to anyone who has to retake!

Which one do you think is more efficient? 101 or TPRH? Thanks!

FL AAMC Average: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32 (10/10/12)
Comments: Applying to MD/PhD. I've been studying sense the test and I'm considering retaking. I have a 4.0 gpa, good research, track and field NCAA all-american, and great letters of recommendation. Should I retake, or do you guys think I'm good where I'm at?

That's a great score! And balanced! I wouldn't retake personally.

the fact that it's your second language helps...your science scores are super great, so i wouldn't completely lose hope...i would look really hard for schools that don't screen out based on MCAT subscores and spend alot of time on the secondaries and make sure they're perfect.

I"m a CA resident which makes it even worse...god, i don't know what to do..to find what schools don't screen based on subscores, i just have to go look up online in their website huh?

Good job everyone! August 2nd test taker here! God, I was just reading through these comments before the scores came out and I got so nervous and stressed FOR YOU GUYS.. I can only imagine how nervous I will be the day the exams come out! The wait is finally over! For those of you who reached your goal, good job! For those of you who didn't you have your whole life to retake the exam :) Stay strong everyone!

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: <30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/8/11)
Comments: Relieved that I hit a 30 but not sure if I should retake. Honestly though I thought I got like a ~26 or something much less than 30 so I am very grateful.

I wouldn't retake! A 30 is the goal, and most public schools won't keep you from interviewing, as long as everything are 8s and above. Or that's what I hear anyway. Plus, if you re-took and did the same or worse for some reason, it could hurt. I think that's a great score and you will get accepted with it!

FL AAMC Average: 34.25
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (13/14/11)
Comments: Best day of my life.

Alright.... looks like I'm retaking. Nope not posting my scores after seeing these. But I'm more determined than ever to absolutely rock this MCAT. Ok please send all helpful tips and tricks in the book. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you guys found helpful!!! Verbal is not my issue what so ever, it's mainly PS. Thanks again all, congrats on your great scores :)

Any tips for BS?

Treat it like verbal - the information you need is in the passage, not in your head! BS is all about critical thinking and your thought process! I would recommend doing as many practice passages as possible, untimed. You need to absolutely PERFECT your way of thinking about the questions and the information you need to answer them, and to do this, you need to take your time. Once you are really comfortable with your strategy, then go on to the practice tests and use the real testing conditions. In my opinion people spend way too much time worrying about their content knowledge and just going over review materials when they should be spending more time just doing passages, just doing FSQ's, and practicing their strategies!

For review materials, I skimmed the TPR Gen Chem, Physics, and Bio books, did every single passage and FSQ in those books, used a little bit of TPR verbal workbook, and used TPR online passages and amplifire modules. I took AAMC 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

FL AAMC Average: 32.5
Post-test expected score: 27-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34 (12/8/14)
Comments: English is my second language. I have been learning for 6 years now. I am hoping I can use that to explain my low verbal.

That's a great score! And balanced! I wouldn't retake personally.

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking too. Congrats on your score as well! You should be a competitive applicant at a lot of places.

FL AAMC Average: Not sure, but probably in the 30-32 range
Post-test expected score: 30-31
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 27 (8/9/10)
Comments: Really, really disappointed. I was expecting 9-10-11 or 9-10-10 at the very least. I was unusually pressed for time in PS and VR, and BS I was on a roll so I slowed down, but too much.

Alright.... looks like I'm retaking. Nope not posting my scores after seeing these. But I'm more determined than ever to absolutely rock this MCAT. Ok please send all helpful tips and tricks in the book. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you guys found helpful!!! Verbal is not my issue what so ever, it's mainly PS. Thanks again all, congrats on your great scores :)

Besides the usual, I also used khan academy YouTube videos to go over weak topics, especially helpful for PS. Good luck to you, you can and will do it!

I wouldn't retake! A 30 is the goal, and most public schools won't keep you from interviewing, as long as everything are 8s and above. Or that's what I hear anyway. Plus, if you re-took and did the same or worse for some reason, it could hurt. I think that's a great score and you will get accepted with it!

Thanks! I'm leaning on not retaking as well because I'm scared I'll get lower. What do you guys think?

I'm so proud of everyone's scores today! If you didn't score well, it's bad luck. It's not indicative of you as a person or an applicant. And if you need to vent or ask any questions, just inbox me.

Besides the usual, I also used khan academy YouTube videos to go over weak topics, especially helpful for PS. Good luck to you, you can and will do it!
Khan Academy is the most amazing thing ever. Especially for mcat review. Also mcat-review.org

Long time lurker first time poster: i made this account to say a BIG WTF

FL AAMC Average: 34-36

Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36 (09/14/13)
Comments: WTFFFFF. i had a complete panic attack during the PS section-- halfway through the time i was still on passage 3 and knew i couldn't catch up. i left 2 questions blank (idiot move- ran out of time to go back) and randomly guessed on ~8 questions. i gave myself a pep talk during the break and said "there are 30 points left out there- go get em!"
i cant believe 14 on verbal -- i never got higher than an 11 on aamc.

june 5 PS was orders of magnitude harder than any other aamc. i felt so defeated that i went and re-took 2 weeks later on june 21. on june 21 PS was so easy i literally did a dance in the bathroom during the first break. i'm really curious to see how that test went.

this just goes to show that how you feel after the test means nothing about how you actually did. also the tests are so unfairly different from each other. also...if you get knocked off the horse during one section.... GET BACK ON!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :)

Reactions: 5 users
Post-test expected score: 30-34
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 38 (12/11/15)
Comments: \O/ HOLLY TITS

Reactions: 9 users
I found this mantra helpful: every question is an independent event from those that came before.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: <30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/8/11)
Comments: Relieved that I hit a 30 but not sure if I should retake. Honestly though I thought I got like a ~26 or something much less than 30 so I am very grateful.

Hey, twinsies! First time posting but i got the same scores as you, both this round and the one before.

5/23 MCAT: 26 (9 PS/7 VR/10 BS)

AAMC Average: 28-30? (only took AAMC 9, part of 8, and BS subject test)

Anticipated score: 22-24 (I had nightmares after that PS section)

Actual score: 30 (11 PS/8 VS/11 BS)

Just studied for a month, but listened to Audio Osmosis and did PR comprehensive book with NOVA and Kaplan books. Mad about VR, but thats always been my lowest score, plus PS threw me off.

Not sure if I should retake, but probably wont this cycle unless PreHealth advisor/Adcoms say so.

people throwing out 14 and 15s like

tumblr_inline_n6c2hpuWAl1qiu735.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Hey, twinsies! First time posting but i got the same scores as you, both this round and the one before.

5/23 MCAT: 26 (9 PS/7 VR/10 BS)

AAMC Average: 28-30? (only took AAMC 9, part of 8, and BS subject test)

Anticipated score: 22-24 (I had nightmares after that PS section)

Actual score: 30 (11 PS/8 VS/11 BS)

Just studied for a month, but listened to Audio Osmosis and did PR comprehensive book with NOVA and Kaplan books. Mad about VR, but thats always been my lowest score, plus PS threw me off.

Not sure if I should retake, but probably wont this cycle unless PreHealth advisor/Adcoms say so.

Oh heyyyy. I'm going to message you.

Wow congrats everyone! It seems like almost everyone hit their average or higher, which is incredible! I've resolved not to check my scores until I get home from work, but you guys are making me feel probably way more optimistic than I should be.

Wow congrats everyone! It seems like almost everyone hit their average or higher, which is incredible! I've resolved not to check my scores until I get home from work, but you guys are making me feel probably way more optimistic than I should be.
You're going to do great! GL! and also i like your name.

@Sydneyfe I thought tprh was a better representation of the actual verbal than ek 101, but ek 101 is still a GREAT resource imo.
My suggestion: use ek 101 first in order to get your timing down and learn how to attack the questions. Then, after you have your strategy and timing down, finish up any leftover ek 101 tests and move on to tprh. This is what I did and I thought it helped me out.

I think I got one of the lower scores on here. In the high 20's but I'm still so happy!! I thought I was getting a 15.

Congrats to everyone :) sounds like you all did great!

Looks you're in the exact same position as me. At least your 29 was all 8+ though. I can't believe I got a 7 in PS... physics and chem were my strong classes I just really didn't spend enough time learning formulas.

That's a bummer :/ I actually can't believe I got an 8 either I was usually more around 10. But I know I suck at gen chem so I really can't complain. Are you going to retake?? I can't decide. I'm sure I can do better if I change my studying a bit... but I'm just not sure.

WOW I've never seen these many high scores ! Almost every single one of you guys scored either your average or higher - wow ! Congrats you all I'm impressed. We got 4 people who got 15 in BS? lol

I'm going to register for an 8 am exam for my retake lol

Reactions: 4 users
@Sydneyfe I thought tprh was a better representation of the actual verbal than ek 101, but ek 101 is still a GREAT resource imo.
My suggestion: use ek 101 first in order to get your timing down and learn how to attack the questions. Then, after you have your strategy and timing down, finish up any leftover ek 101 tests and move on to tprh. This is what I did and I thought it helped me out.
thanks a lot.
p.s. love your icon, love Mozzie hah

Test date: 6/5/14
AAMC range: low-to-mid 30s (took all AAMCs)
Post test expected: 30
Actual: 33 (12/10/11)

Retaker here and my score is exactly the same as my first score. To all of those that are thinking about retaking, ask yourself this: is your score much different from your AAMC averages? If not, I don't recommend retaking it. You can devote the extra time into doing something that adds to your application, like more research or volunteering. I kept thinking that I'd somehow improve by 2 or 3 points on the retake just because I'd be studying more and doing more practice. Unfortunately I ran out of AAMCs so I didn't know what score to expect or which sections I needed to practice. In the end, I wish I didn't retake so that I could save myself the $800+ (rescheduling is pricey!) and avoid the enormous amounts of stress.

Reactions: 6 users
Test date: 6/5/14
AAMC range: low-to-mid 30s (took all AAMCs)
Post test expected: 30
Actual: 33 (12/10/11)

Retaker here and my score is exactly the same as my first score. To all of those that are thinking about retaking, ask yourself this: is your score much different from your AAMC averages? If not, I don't recommend retaking it. You can devote the extra time into doing something that adds to your application, like more research or volunteering. I kept thinking that I'd somehow improve by 2 or 3 points on the retake just because I'd be studying more and doing more practice. Unfortunately I ran out of AAMCs so I didn't know what score to expect or which sections I needed to practice. In the end, I wish I didn't retake so that I could save myself the $800+ (rescheduling is pricey!) and avoid the enormous amounts of stress.

Thanks for sharing! It helped me! And also your score is great!!