You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official May 17, 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by oobie
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I see..yeah, TMDSAS allow you to start submitting in May, but they don't start looking until June. I was planning to submit my primary stuff around the end of May, so the whole 6 weeks or so process will be done around the time I receive my scores in July.Unless I'm derping, I think it's PS + ECs + transcript June 1-5 (whenever it opens), then MCAT as soon as score comes out, then schools send secondaries but no earlier than mid-July. And you turn in secondaries with LORs to specific schools. ... ahh
I see..yeah, TMDSAS allow you to start submitting in May, but they don't start looking until June. I was planning to submit my primary stuff around the end of May, so the whole 6 weeks or so process will be done around the time I receive my scores in July.
Are you only applying TMDSAS?
Ugh if only it were all unified...I guess we should be thankful there are only two systems haha
I am hoping to get into a TX school, but I am applying to schools outside of TX.Are you only applying TMDSAS?
Ugh if only it were all unified...I guess we should be thankful there are only two systems haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's the studying going guys? The day is approaching...
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
How's the studying going guys? The day is approaching...
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10,
Bio: 12
That PS doh!!! Kill 'em!!
Just took AAMC 3 and was a completely baffled by the verbal passage about Confucious.. -__- hope the real exam doesn't have something like that.
the Li destroyed me
That PS doh!!! Kill 'em!!
Thank you!
What I really need to work on is Verbal 🙁. I hope 18 days is enough to bring it up just one more point for practice.
I thought AAMC 10 PS was much more difficult than AAMC 9 PS, but the general consensus on SDN is the opposite, which worries me :/
My best advice for physics is to always try to relate your answer to an equation. Sometimes, intuition can lie to you. Great example, what effect does increasing the mass on a pendulum in SHM have on its frequency?
If you imagine the system mentally, one might think because m increased, frequency might increase as well because of momentum, an increase in m*v. However, the equation for SHM of a pendulum demonstrates otherwise; f=(1/2pi)*[(g/L)^1/2]. The system could not care less about the mass of the pendulum. An interesting note, M of the system does affect SHM of a spring system f=(1/2pi)*[(k/m)^1/2].
If you imagine the system mentally, one might think because m increased, frequency might increase as well because of momentum, an increase in m*v. However, the equation for SHM of a pendulum demonstrates otherwise; f=(1/2pi)*[(g/L)^1/2]. The system could not care less about the mass of the pendulum. An interesting note, M of the system does affect SHM of a spring system f=(1/2pi)*[(k/m)^1/2].
I've been stuck at an 8 in PS 🙁 I've done really heavy content review + passages the past two weeks. I'm taking AAMC 5 on Sat so hopefully I'll have brought my PS by a point or two. I hate physics....grumble grumble.
Have you done the self assessment? After a point content review stops improving your score and more practice problems start to make everything look familiar 🙂
You can do it! Also with physics sometimes the answers reveal what the answer is.. like one question asked about electric field and I didn't remember the equation, but the answer choices were 1.66, 1.5, 15 and 166. The numbers in the passage were 5V and 3cm...the only possible answer you can squish it together is 166 if you convert units to SI! hahah
I'm working on the SA's this week and then plan on doing practice exams til the test!
Just finished VR SA 70%
🙁
Currently working on BS SA...doesn't seem to bad
I think I'm freaking myself out with PS honestly. I'm taking a TPR course and most of their problems are harder than AAMC test questions.
Just finished VR SA 70%
Currently working on BS SA...doesn't seem to bad
I think I'm freaking myself out with PS honestly. I'm taking a TPR course and most of their problems are harder than AAMC test questions.
I'm working on the SA's this week and then plan on doing practice exams til the test!
Just finished VR SA 70%🙁
Currently working on BS SA...doesn't seem to bad
I think I'm freaking myself out with PS honestly. I'm taking a TPR course and most of their problems are harder than AAMC test questions.
Mm I thought TPR practice problems were super hard too. Stopped doing them to focus on the AAMC ones. TPR VR has insanely difficult passages jeez
Woohoo let's go! I'm not sure what to do the two days up to the test. Nothing? Mild review? Sleep for 48 hours? ...
I'm going to try to chill. I live in Texas and am flying home to idaho (where I'm taking the test) on the 14th. I'm taking my last practice test that day and reviewing on the plane ride then I'm calling it quits til D-day haha.Mm I thought TPR practice problems were super hard too. Stopped doing them to focus on the AAMC ones. TPR VR has insanely difficult passages jeez
Woohoo let's go! I'm not sure what to do the two days up to the test. Nothing? Mild review? Sleep for 48 hours? ...
I'm going to try to chill. I live in Texas and am flying home to idaho (where I'm taking the test) on the 14th. I'm taking my last practice test that day and reviewing on the plane ride then I'm calling it quits til D-day haha.
Texas to Idaho just for the test?? Or is the school year over for you?
Texas to Idaho just for the test?? Or is the school year over for you?
School year is over for me on Tuesday! I'm taking the test and then chilling in Idaho for a week. Really excited.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
School year is over for me on Tuesday! I'm taking the test and then chilling in Idaho for a week. Really excited.
Ah that sounds so nice... I'm just hitting the first round of midterms! Is Idaho nice this time of year?
I'm from TX, too. You would think with how large of a state Texas is, they'd have more seating available, lol...I took a prep course over the winter break, and I remember people saying that they had to go to Louisiana and other states to take their exam. Insane.I'm going to try to chill. I live in Texas and am flying home to idaho (where I'm taking the test) on the 14th. I'm taking my last practice test that day and reviewing on the plane ride then I'm calling it quits til D-day haha.
Lol right? I think seats are going so quick because of the 2015 MCAT. I'm glad I ended up with a seat at all!I'm from TX, too. You would think with how large of a state Texas is, they'd have more seating available, lol...I took a prep course over the winter break, and I remember people saying that they had to go to Louisiana and other states to take their exam. Insane.
Haha I got panicked b/c I pushed mine back to June but they didn't have any June 5th anywhere near my home. Luckily June 13th had the same location... I just hope I do well the first time around...plus the apps open tomorrow morning...and I can't even worry about that b/c I'm too concerned with finals and getting my GPA up...Lol right? I think seats are going so quick because of the 2015 MCAT. I'm glad I ended up with a seat at all!
When this is all over, I will be relieved.
Ah that sounds so nice... I'm just hitting the first round of midterms! Is Idaho nice this time of year?
It is gorgeous! Still a little bit cold though at night. I'm looking forward to some hiking when this test is over though! 🙂
Finishing SAs this week and plan on taking a full length every other day till d day.Finishing up TBR Physics II atm, and then to do FLs with the remaining two weeks
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 (taken today) PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 13. God damn you VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 (taken today) PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 13. God damn you VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been using EK BIO + mcat review.org for BIO and EK for orgo.^@Blown Away Nice Bio..what have you been using for content/practice. I am not too great in orgo and that's been hurting me.
Organic has always been my bread and butter, and I believe that TBR goes WAY too in depth for orgo. EK is just the right amount of review. I haven't encountered an AAMC orgo question that EK didn't cover.
Random factoids in bio are what trip me up.
TBR + EK for PS.
Yeah. Verbal is rough, but 10 isn't too bad. Just stay calm and have confidence.
I'm just praying for a 9+ in VR. I know my sciences will keep me afloat. Been doing 7 passages a day in VR to practice (English was not my first language).
I'm just praying for a 9+ in VR. I know my sciences will keep me afloat. Been doing 7 passages a day in VR to practice (English was not my first language).
Nice thanks!! A 9+ should be good for you since English is not your first language.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 13.
AAMC 3 (taken today) PS: 13, VR: 8, BS: 11.
VERY discouraging regarding AAMC3 score. IDK what happened in verbal. Thought the bio went better.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 13.
AAMC 3 (taken today) PS: 13, VR: 8, BS: 11.
VERY discouraging regarding AAMC3 score. IDK what happened in verbal. Thought the bio went better.
Me too. I'm exhausted in every sense of the word. My nerves are not doing so well eitherI'm so tired of studying... just want to take the exam already 🙁
Me too. I'm exhausted in every sense of the word. My nerves are not doing so well either
I learned today that after you take the GRE, your score pops up in front of you.
Wtf AAMC, why do we have to wait a month... 😡
Tomorrow May 6 I am going to go hold a review for all the Physics and Chemistry section from the TBR. May 7 I am going to finish up Biology and some Organic. Feel free to message me on Skype and we can have a study session. It will be a general review that shouldn't take up more than 2-3 hours. Message me if you are interested. BTW, probably going to start it at about 12 Est.
Probably b/c they are more standardized and not as bad as the MCAT. The AMCAS folks prob scale scores out more b/c there may be a lower score trend... I think its based off a bell curve like the SATs. Idk that's my theory..I learned today that after you take the GRE, your score pops up in front of you.
Wtf AAMC, why do we have to wait a month... 😡
Probably b/c they are more standardized and not as bad as the MCAT. The AMCAS folks prob scale scores out more b/c there may be a lower score trend... I think its based off a bell curve like the SATs. Idk that's my theory..
That's what I thought too, but I read on the AAMC site somewhere that exams are pre-curved based on data they already have about each individual question. I'd thought maybe there would be a strategy to taking your exam on a day when hopefully everyone else was less prepared (ie. not at the end of summer break) but there isn't ha ha
Huh. Weird...That's what I thought too, but I read on the AAMC site somewhere that exams are pre-curved based on data they already have about each individual question. I'd thought maybe there would be a strategy to taking your exam on a day when hopefully everyone else was less prepared (ie. not at the end of summer break) but there isn't ha ha
How's the studying going guys? The day is approaching...
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
I would trade my 11/12s in Verbal for your Bio and PS scores any day!
How long have you studied for?
I would trade my 11/12s in Verbal for your Bio and PS scores any day!
How long have you studied for?
Haha thanks. VR has been a long struggle of mine. I studied last year for 3 months using TBR and tanked.
This year I'm using EK for content only and TPRH for passages + assessments. I've been studying for ~3.5 months this time around.
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 : PS: 13, VR 10, BS: 12
AAMC 3: PS: 13, VR 8, BS 11 (very frustrated with that VR). Taking AAMC 11 tomorrow.
Haha thanks. VR has been a long struggle of mine. I studied last year for 3 months using TBR and tanked.
This year I'm using EK for content only and TPRH for passages + assessments. I've been studying for ~3.5 months this time around.
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 : PS: 13, VR 10, BS: 12
AAMC 3: PS: 13, VR 8, BS 11 (very frustrated with that VR). Taking AAMC 11 tomorrow.
Couldn't take AAMC 11 because of an emergency last night. Woke up feeling exhausted. Did GS1 instead. PS:10, Bio:12, VR skipped
Haha thanks. VR has been a long struggle of mine. I studied last year for 3 months using TBR and tanked.
This year I'm using EK for content only and TPRH for passages + assessments. I've been studying for ~3.5 months this time around.
AAMC 7: Phys: 12, Verb: 9, Bio: 13.
AAMC 8: Phys: 12, Verb: 10, Bio: 11
AAMC 9 : Phys: 13, Vebal: 9, Bio: 11
AAMC 10 : Phys: 12, Vebal: 10, Bio: 12
AAMC 4 : PS: 13, VR 10, BS: 12
AAMC 3: PS: 13, VR 8, BS 11 (very frustrated with that VR). Taking AAMC 11 tomorrow.
AAMC 11 PS: 11 VR 8 BS 12. WOW is all I can say about 11. It's for sure the toughest of the bunch.
..
.
.
.
.
.
One
.
.
.
.
.
week.
.
.
.
LEFT
.
.
.
.
.
One
.
.
.
.
.
week.
.
.
.
LEFT
..
.
.
.
.
.
One
.
.
.
.
.
week.
.
.
.
LEFT
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
let's do this!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
let's do this!!
How are you feeling about it?
I tanked AAMC 11 yesterday so I'm nervous now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you feeling about it?
I tanked AAMC 11 yesterday so I'm nervous now.
I'm not sure...I always feel like I'm getting way too many problems wrong but the scores turn out the same every time lool
You've been cramming in a lot of FLs, maybe space them out a little? I found 11's BS challenging but you clearly rocked it 🙂
********************
Anyone know how AAMC 3 compares to the other tests?? Just took AAMC3, not sure if it was because I was sort of sleepy but ... just, goddamn it.
AAMC 3 : 11/10/10 (PS/VS/BS)
Edit: Freaking humanities passages... (looking at you, Confucius and the painter)
Anyone know how AAMC 3 compares to the other tests?? Just took AAMC3, not sure if it was because I was sort of sleepy but ... just, goddamn it.
AAMC 3 : 11/10/10 (PS/VS/BS)
Edit: Freaking humanities passages... (looking at you, Confucius and the painter)
Last edited:
I got an 8 on VR , 13PS, 11 BS.********************
Anyone know how AAMC 3 compares to the other tests?? Just took AAMC3, not sure if it was because I was sort of sleepy but ... just, goddamn it.
AAMC 3 : 11/10/10 (PS/VS/BS)
Edit: Freaking humanities passages... (looking at you, Confucius and the painter)
I thought the verbal was very strange. The PS was easy. I sat the mcat last year and ps was 100 xs harder.
I've done 3,4,5 and plan on doing 7,8,10 over the next few days. Aiming DO so my goal is 10/10/10
@Blown Away what was your score last year using TBR?
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E