The Official May 18, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is still seven months away, but please share your strategies, goals, materials, etc. here! I'll post mine up very soon, and I greatly appreciate any suggestions/tips. Best of luck to us all!

Members don't see this ad.

aamc avg: 33
actual: 32 (9/12/11)

I'm so disappointed for some reason. How bad is a 9 in verbal?

MCAT Prep Materials: Princeton Review, Exam Crackers
AAMC average: ~30
Prediction: 30 (11/8/11)
Actual: 32 (VR 10 / PS 10 / BS 12)

Not sure if I should retake for a third time.

my first score was an 18L.
I got a 23. 7/7/9

My top four schools' median MCAT scores are :

1) 21
2) 20
3) 22
4) 25 (i doubt ill get into this one)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on a great score and beating you AAMC average!!

Which Kaplan online resources did you find most useful (have limited time and not sure which to take most advantage of, but heard good things about the section test)?

The section tests are extremely useful if you know that you're weak in a certain section like I did. Subject tests are also good if there's a single subject you're unsure on, especially topics that have a bunch of stars. For instance, I was pretty weak on pressure calculations.

I'd also highly recommend the "High-yield" problems in the back of the books. They're more difficult than most questions that would be on the MCAT, but they're fantastic practice because they tie together multiple concepts. Don't have to worry about actually getting them right; you don't even necessarily have to attempt them, though I'd recommend it. Just reading the solutions are really helpful.

Also, if you have really limited time, the included quicksheet of concepts and equations is pretty much the most useful thing ever. It's practically all I studied the night before the test.

I'm so relieved right now I could pass out. I hope everyone here got what they wanted and even if not out apps are still a huge part of the process we still have to do

AAMC range- 26-32

Prediction: 30
Actual: 31

PS-12
V-8
BS-11

Verbal kinda pisses me off but was completely expected. Oh well, the other sections were all time highs for me so I'm keeping this score.

I got the same exact score and distribution. I scored below my practice avg. which was a 34 but I honestly thought I bombed it so I'm surprised I got a 31. I have a low GPA so idk how much a 31 will help me... But I'm doing a smp for the low gpa. Wish I got a 34 you lucky bastards! Lol or smart bastards! Haha

I got the same exact score and distribution. I scored below my practice avg. which was a 34 but I honestly thought I bombed it so I'm surprised I got a 31. I have a low GPA so idk how much a 31 will help me... But I'm doing a smp for the low gpa. Wish I got a 34 you lucky bastards! Lol or smart bastards! Haha

Last edited:

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure SMP doesn't get factored into GPA (unlike, say, a postbacc program).

Test Prep Materials: ExamKrackers books, AAMC practice tests
AAMC Practice Test Scores: 30,31,31
Post-test prediction: 30. Although I thought it was much harder than the AAMC tests so that was even looking optimistic

Actual:
35! (11VR, 9PS, 15 BS)

Cannot believe this score and 9 shouldn't hurt me right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow So I got a 26 on the real thing.

6 VERBAL (WHAT) 8 PHYSICS (WHAT!!!) and 12 on BIO

My AAMC test averages were at 30. Verbal range 7-13, average 8, Physics range 9-13 average 11, and bio range 9-12, average 10.

I don't know what to do... This is my worst score yet and my gpa is a 3.3. I need a 33-35 to be considered MD.

You will need to retake and bring up that VR score in order to be competitive for MD. However, all isn't lost. Your maxes on the practice sections indicate that you are capable, but you may need more practice and honest assessment of what went wrong on test day.

The section tests are extremely useful if you know that you're weak in a certain section like I did. Subject tests are also good if there's a single subject you're unsure on, especially topics that have a bunch of stars. For instance, I was pretty weak on pressure calculations.

I'd also highly recommend the "High-yield" problems in the back of the books. They're more difficult than most questions that would be on the MCAT, but they're fantastic practice because they tie together multiple concepts. Don't have to worry about actually getting them right; you don't even necessarily have to attempt them, though I'd recommend it. Just reading the solutions are really helpful.

Also, if you have really limited time, the included quicksheet of concepts and equations is pretty much the most useful thing ever. It's practically all I studied the night before the test.

Thanks for all the info!

Good luck with your applications and with this cycle!

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure SMP doesn't get factored into GPA (unlike, say, a postbacc program).

Yeah I know. I already did post bacc work though and have a 3.95 post bacc GPA and have taken practically all the science courses I can take so the smp was really the only other option. I wish I got a 33+ :(
This test had a lot of my weaknesses and I'm annoyed that I thought I bombed ps and got a 12 bc that's why my vr score was an 8... I felt so down that I couldn't focus for the first 2 passages and lost a lot of time. My advice for future Mcat takers.... Give every section all you've got bc you never really know. I actuallu had assumed I got 14 questions wrong and that I was gonna get an 8 or 9 but I ended up w a 12... I'm really disappointed w my 11 in the bs part. I was getting bw 12-14 on my practice tests and thought I'd at least get a 12

Wow well I got a 26 (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS). My AAMCs after content review ranged from 31-34. Can't believe this. I'm also applying this cycle, **** me.

3.5 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA. Chemical engineering major. Anndddd an MCAT score of a 26 won't get me anywhere.

I hate everything about the MCAT. I"m registered for a retake in 2 days on the 20th but I'm so ****ing nervous now.

MCAT Prep Materials: TBR (little bit TPR)
AAMC average: 32
Prediction: < 30
Actual: 28

With a 3.6 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA and minimal ECs besides research, I don't think I can get into MD schools.

Looks like a retake for me............

AAMC Avg: 37ish
Posttest prediction: 31-32
Actual: 13-10-14 (37)

Thank the heavens and good riddance mcat!

MCAT Prep Materials: Content: EK class and book, TBR supplement, Kaplan exams

AAMC average: ~29 (29 on AAMC 11)
I always did well PS(12), bad on verbal (8), and avg on BS (9-10)

Prediction: 27, I felt like verbal kicked me in the groin, i considered doing a retake.

Actual: 33 (14/10/9) I am on cloud 9, Ps really saved my ass!

also, i know a 9 on verbal isnt great, but will the 14 on PS compensate? i have 3.7 GPA and i think i have a decent shop at mid to low range schools? thoughts?

This sentiment is now setting in: I'M DONE WITH THE MCAT FOREVER. Here's how I feel:

1.gif

I'm not quite sure how to feel, as you can see:
PS 14, VR 9, BS 14

What will they think? It's a weird feeling.

I'm not quite sure how to feel, as you can see:
PS 14, VR 9, BS 14

What will they think? It's a weird feeling.

This is a great score! The VR is not bad--albeit not great. This is a competitive score even for the top tier schools.

Just wanted to join y'all in this excruciating wait. I used to be an April 26-er but less than a week before my test, I decided I wasn't ready yet... May 18 opened up and so I re-registered!

AAMC practice tests
3- (11,12,10) 33
4- (10,13,11) 34
5- (10,11,13) 34
7- (10,11, 12) 33
8- (10,11,11) 32
11- (10,10,12) 32

This is when I started to panic. Yes, 8 and 11 are harder tests but I also found that most of my mistakes in PS is due to lack of content knowledge (as in not knowing the equations). I felt like I don't want to come in to the test not knowing that (rho x v x g) is different from (rho x g x h). I know 32 is still a solid score (although I'm hoping for 34+) but I also knew that a 32 on a practice exam could mean a 30 on the actual..or less than that. So, I decided to postpone from April 26 to May 18...

I spent the next few days relaxing actually... (felt like I was too stressed when I took the 8 and 11 AAMCs).. and solidified my physics content as much as I could..

9- (13,11,11) 35
10- (12,11,12) 35

As you can see, my PS score improved... but I still don't feel too good because I already used up AAMC 11, which is a good indicator for some people.

Post-test feelings:

PS - the 1st passage was like wtf.. but I think it's just my nerves. I had some time to get back to it and for some reason, I was able to answer it. All in all, I felt pretty good about PS... which is weird!

Post-test prediction: 12-13.
Prediction weeks after the test: I feel like I was being too confident and am now a bit scared. What if I thought I just got the answers but actually fell for the trap answers? Now I think it's more 11-12. Fingers crossed.

Verbal- I don't know.. verbal is such a crapshoot that I'm kinda scared I bombed it. I've never gotten less than a 10 during practice exams.. but I feel like I could have bombed it. You just never know!

Post-test prediction: 10-11
Prediction weeks after the test: 9-11. I saw someone on April 26 get a 9 when they have never gotten less than a 10 during practice exams. So.. I feel like it's totally possible that I got a 9 too. I hope not =(

BS- I usually do pretty good if it's a research-based passage.. but if it's Verbal-ish..not so much. I really don't know how I did. I feel like I got most of it.. including that weird ochem discrete..(yay!) but verbal-ish questions scare me.

Post-test prediction: 11-12
Prediction weeks after test: 10-11

As you can see, my predictions now are lower than my initial post-test feelings. Maybe I'm deliberately lowering my expectations so I don't get burned if I got a lower grade.. but seeing how other people got lower than expected scores also sobered me up a bit.

If I used my lower range of predictions (11,9,10) =( I will get a 30. Which is below my lowest AAMC score of 32. I'm hoping this is a worst case scenario score. I know this is not an awful score... but I'm really shooting for 34+.

If I used the upper range (12, 11, 11) =) I will get 34... which will make me happy. 35 will make me happier. haha. and I'm still dreaming of a 36..but nothing higher than that. Oh well.

Anyway, I wish us all the best... a few more weeks! I will definitely post my score good or bad...

edit: now that I've seen my post in print... I feel like I got a 28 or something. Gaad. This test messes with your head!

thirty effin nine. 3-9. I'm in disbelief. I actually woke up at 12:05 pst... (since I could not sleep the whole night) and hurriedly checked my score.

Phys 12
Verbal 13
Bio 14 (what the...)

i can't believe it. i must be dreaming still.

AAMC avg: 35.5
Prediction: 29-31 - I had already signed up for a retake!
Actual: 34 - Happy with this, canceling retake.

PS - 12
VR - 11
BS - 11

My practice scores were never that balanced. I never got less than a 13 on practice BS sections, so that was a drop for me, but I was also scoring 9s on VR just a couple weeks before the real deal.

I got a 30, a retake from my previous 30:( before I had a 7ps 11vr and 12 bs, this time a 8ps 11vr and 11vr. Frustrating but I think I'm in better shape with the 8 than with the 7. Thought i had a much better handle on the ps section this time around but guess not. Thoughts if this is okay?

Prep: Studied on my own while working full time. Postponed from April 4th test because work was getting in the way too much.

Prediction: I left the test feeling like PS was ROUGH (and it was always my weakest section) but felt completely fine about verbal and BS. I couldn't nail down an exact prediction, I thought anywhere from 29-32.

Average practice tests ~ 29

Actual: 29 (8 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)

I now strongly believe in the idea that the average of your tests will be the actual score. I tried justifying with myself that I would score higher because I was better under pressure and that I had scored above a 29 before.

I have mixed feelings because I already submitted my primary so I wanted to at least score a 29 so I wouldn't have to withdraw my application this cycle. Still I feel a little worried applying with a 3.53 cGPA and 3.30 sGPA and 29 MCAT. I'm a non-traditional with 2 years of clinical research under my belt which should help, but still. I guess I have to pick my schools wisely.

MCAT Prep Materials: EK books, Kaplan books/exams, AAMC Practice Tests (3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11)
AAMC average: 32 (30-36)
Prediction: 28-33
Actual: 34 (12/10/12)

I could not be happier considering I'm a career changer and I still have 3 classes outstanding (Physics II, Gen Bio II, and Calc). cGPA 3.67 sGPA 3.85

Congrats all on the great work!:laugh:

Prep: TBR, Chad's Videos, All AAMC Tests/Self Assessment
Practice Tests: Ranged from 28-35. Had 32/32/31 on 9/10/11.
Did not even try to predict, felt like anywhere from a 29-36.
Actual 10PS/11VR/11BS 32 total.

Woo glad to be done.

There is a part of me that wishes I could have done on the high end of my range, but I pretty much exactly hit my average so I am satisfied.

My advice to anyone studying, take every AAMC test under exact testing conditions. Go to the library, make the breaks the exact same, everything. Its a waste of time and money to take those things in sections, preparing your nerves and confidence is 50% of the test. So many people talk about not being able to focus until late in PS, or constantly thinking about PS while taking VR. These are all things you have to practice and work on.

Overall happy, glad to be done. Should make me a competitive applicant for this cycle.

Wow So I got a 26 on the real thing.

6 VERBAL (WHAT) 8 PHYSICS (WHAT!!!) and 12 on BIO

My AAMC test averages were at 30. Verbal range 7-13, average 8, Physics range 9-13 average 11, and bio range 9-12, average 10.

I don't know what to do... This is my worst score yet and my gpa is a 3.3. I need a 33-35 to be considered MD.

This was almost my exact experience. I also ranged from 7-13 on practice AAMC verbal tests, but I considered both those scores a fluke, and my most frequent score was a 9. I felt okay after the verbal section too but also got a 6. I know how you feel.

Hey guys,

I took the text last august and my aamc average was 26 and I got a 25 overall.

I took this test and my ammc average was 32 and I got a 26......Im applying this cycle I want to just die.

I got vr 6 / ps 9 / bs 11 ---- I was averaging vr 8-10 ps 9-11 and bs 10-12

3.81 overall gpa and 3.7 science gpa

WHAT DO I DO!!

Hey guys,

I took the text last august and my aamc average was 26 and I got a 25 overall.

I took this test and my ammc average was 32 and I got a 26......Im applying this cycle I want to just die.

I got vr 6 / ps 9 / bs 11 ---- I was averaging vr 8-10 ps 9-11 and bs 10-12

3.81 overall gpa and 3.7 science gpa

WHAT DO I DO!!

I feel your pain, mine is V7 P12 B12. I have no idea what to do.

At least you have a 31 overall.

Badd99 - I'm in the same boat as you. 26 overall even though I was averaging 31-33 on my practice tests. Also applying this cycle and I'm completely lost.

I feel your pain, mine is V7 P12 B12. I have no idea what to do.

At least you have a 31 overall.

Badd99 - I'm in the same boat as you. 26 overall even though I was averaging 31-33 on my practice tests. Also applying this cycle and I'm completely lost.

Average AAMC: 31
Range: 29-32
Prediction: 31-35
Actual: 31 (12-9-10)

The Physics score was disappointing (predicting a 13-14), otherwise I got what I thought i would in verbal (9-10) and bio (10-11). Not sure if i want to retake, probably wont because my average=actual....big chance I do worse on a retake.

Study material used: Text books, kaplan quick sheets
AAMC practice test: 28
Kaplan practice tests: 26, 28, 33

Actual MCAT: 32 (12VR, 10PS, 10BS)

Best wishes to everyone on your applications!

I know these threads can be helpful to those who are studying for the MCAT now and/or are freaking out about an upcoming test date. I feel so blessed to have gotten the score that I did, and hope that this can be my small way of giving back since SDN has helped me so much thus far.
AAMC Average: ~37
Prediction: 33-38
Real MCAT: 37 (12PS/13VR/12BS)

AAMC3 (first AAMC taken): 32
AAMC4: 37
AAMC5: 37
AAMC7: 34*
*Got interrupted multiple times in this exam, felt that I was unfocused
AAMC8: 37
AAMC9: 37
AAMC10: 38
AAMC11: 37

I took a few Kaplan tests as well, but found them really unrepresentative of the AAMC exams or the real thing. They didn't do much to help for me, but I'm just one person of the thousands who prep for this exam. I took a Kaplan on-site class, but found the resources much more valuable than the class itself. I prepped using the subject tests and especially the section tests, which I found amazingly helpful. I also read all the MCAT prep books cover to cover and created my own study sheets.

I'm happy to help any way I can via PM or on this thread.

5/11er here.

Surprised to see so many people scoring ABOVE their average.

For comparison, my avg was 28.8, and I scored a 26. 10/8/8.

This test is honestly so hard to gauge--so I won't be retaking. For those retaking their 26s---be careful.