The Official May 2012 DAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmilingTooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow test takers,
I started this thread for anyone who will take the DAT in May 2012. We can share this experience of our journey to Dental School, while helping each other out in any way possible.
I am taking my DAT on the 4th. When are you taking it?

I will start by sharing the DAT material I am using to prepare for the test.
I have Crack DAT PAT, Barron's Biology, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Chad's Videos for General Chem and Organic Chem as well as DAT Achiever that I will get later to see where I stand before I head out for the test.
Good Luck everyone!
:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Cool thread!
I'm taking my first DAT on the 18th of May.
It's exactly 2 weeks before the application opens up, so I'm hoping that my DAT score will be fully processed before I apply.

Good luck to you all!

i am planning to take around april or may too. but i havent sign up :(
taking it in april or may will not make any difference right?
cuz i have to wait at least 2 months to retake..

should i take one on april and if i do not do well, try on june again?
or just take one on may?

actually you have to wait 3 months between retakes so if you were to take it in april or may then the soonest you can retake would be july or august

Members don't see this ad :)
May 26th.:thumbup:

Nervous. Starting to count the weeks, days, hours.:scared:

I've been down a very similar path before (non trad applicant am I, took 9 prof. licensing exams at Prometric...all successful a few years ago) so I shouldn't be nervous but if there is one thing I have learned it is to never relax until its done and in the bag.

I've spent a fair bit of time on PAT (CrackDAT PAT) so far, slowly starting to build up steam on Bio and Gen Chem, and I've been chipping away a few hours a day on organic for the last couple of months. I plan on getting Destroyer for QR. Perhaps CrackDAT Reading for RC.

Anyone have any other great ideas for mastering the RC? This is the only section I still feel like I haven't formulated a plan for.

I am taking it May 23rd! good luck everyone!

Materials I'm using are:
Kaplan Book
Cliffnotes AP Biology
Chad's videos/quizzes
Crack DAT PAT
Math Destroyer
DAT Destroyer

I will start studying as soon semester ends "MAY" and planning to give myself about 3 months until my exam which not sure if will make me a "Late" applicant? I will be retaking exam.... But good luck to everyone

boo! I don't want to compete against you guys! I'll try to register for a day different from yall lol ;)

i want my app to completed as fast as possible though, so i know we can submit our apps without a DAT score, but how long will it take for our scores to get there? and we get our scores instantly after the exam right? or is it like the MCAT and it takes awhile?

boo! I don't want to compete against you guys! I'll try to register for a day different from yall lol ;)

i want my app to completed as fast as possible though, so i know we can submit our apps without a DAT score, but how long will it take for our scores to get there? and we get our scores instantly after the exam right? or is it like the MCAT and it takes awhile?

We get to see our scores instantly after the exam, but it takes about 2 weeks for the scores to get processed.

I'm in the May group too! YES!!! I'm part of a group!

Just to let you guys know, I'm 70% done with Ochem and Gchem. Will be moving onto RC tomorrow

I'll be taking it in the 20s of May (haven't signed up yet) and i'll be using the kaplan book, crack dat pat, and dat destroyer (i still have to buy the last two)....well, good luck to all!

I'm with you on this one, again! I plan to take it towards the end of May. I have been doing a lil at a time but plan to go hard as soon as Spring semester finals is over.

I recommend to you folks taking the DAT in May that you strongly consider making your DAT date at least 3, preferably 4+ weeks after your finals are over. You would do well to take a 2 day break after finals and then kill it 10+ hours a day for 3 or 4 weeks until the DAT. This would probably put you into June and you might not be in the 1st batch, but 2nd batch is just fine and you will likely do better on the DAT. Having an application come in 3 weeks later with a 2 points higher AA is MUCH better. If you rush prep you are liable to not spend enough time on every section and have to retake because of a poor section.

That's all, just thought it was something to consider!

Members don't see this ad :)
This semester's very busy for me. But I am working hard on the DAT as well. School, work, DAT prep, and Shadowing a Dentist is tough, but I know that it will all pay off later.

Took the Crack DAT PAT (Test 1) and got 18. Well this was my first try, so let's see how much I can do better.

just registered for 29th of May, thinking about it makes me nervous *_*. And...I got Crack dat pat and destroyer....let the fun begin!

May 17th!! Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm....

im planning on taking mine in may too! i haven't signed up yet though. this will be my 2nd time taking it. how are you studying differently for this one than your previous ones?

im planning on taking mine in may too! i haven't signed up yet though. this will be my 2nd time taking it. how are you studying differently for this one than your previous ones?

I'm actually doing everything completely different this time, which is how I should have done it the first 2 times. The first 2 times I took it i just used KBB and some textbooks to go over things I thought I didn't know. I hardly did any practice problems or practice tests at all....I don't know what I was thinking.

This time I bought Chad's videos, DAT destroyer with Math Destroyer and I'm going to get CDP sometime next week. Hopefully it pays off...

I'm actually doing everything completely different this time, which is how I should have done it the first 2 times. The first 2 times I took it i just used KBB and some textbooks to go over things I thought I didn't know. I hardly did any practice problems or practice tests at all....I don't know what I was thinking.

This time I bought Chad's videos, DAT destroyer with Math Destroyer and I'm going to get CDP sometime next week. Hopefully it pays off...
oh yes, i think it will! i heard those are good resources to use! good luck studying!

Hey all,

I'm a part of this group too!!! Going to take it May 22nd at 11:30am for my first time. Been studying since Decemeber with Kaplan Online Anywhere class intermittently so havent focused solely on it b/c of this semester, shadowing, and volunteering. But going to hit my study materials hard after May 4th (finals week).
Good luck to all applying for this cycle!!!

This semester's very busy for me. But I am working hard on the DAT as well. School, work, DAT prep, and Shadowing a Dentist is tough, but I know that it will all pay off later.

Took the Crack DAT PAT (Test 1) and got 18. Well this was my first try, so let's see how much I can do better.

I can totally identify with your current situation. That was me only 2 weeks ago!
The hard work will pay off!:thumbup::thumbup:

Keep at it!

Hello pre dental students

Is anyone sell these books please let me know. i will buy it

Kaplan Blue book(KBB) New version
Cliff's AP Biology New version
DAT destroyer
Math destroyer
Crack DAT PAT software
Chads Chemistry and math videos

Thank you

Good luck

You can definitely get Cliff's AP Bio cheap on Amazon.com or eBay or half.com.
Probably same for KBB, and possibly one of the destroyers if you are lucky.

Unfortunately, you can't sell CDP software, once it's on your comp, its on there for good. You can't even transfer it to another comp if something went wrong and the hard drive crashed or something.. yea i know its dumb but what can we do.
Idk how Chad's videos work, but I think you pay monthly for those?

Regardless, best of luck! Kill that DAT!

May 4th for me! I'm doing a chapter a day of Cliff's and KBB as well as about 3 of Chad's videos. The biggest struggle for me right now is getting my timing down for the GC and QR calculations. Good luck studying!

when and where do you find the test dates? I have orded the Kaplan book , what other materials should I use to prepare to take the test?

do you guys recommend chads? i am currently using schaums and destroyer

alot of people on this forum definitely reccomend chads. in fact, i see quite a few people on the forum use only chad's just for GC and OC

when and where do you find the test dates? I have orded the Kaplan book , what other materials should I use to prepare to take the test?

you can find the test dates and times on the prometric website (www.prometric.com) but you have to get a Dentpin from the ADA website and then fill out the DAT application to get a confirmation number to even access the prometric website.

good luck everyone! next month is the month!! :eek:

I am taking DAT on May 5th
DAT Prep material:
Cliff AP Bio, KBB
Organic chemistry as a second language 1 & 2
CDP
DAT Destroyer
Exam Krackers Chem & Org Chem
Chad Videos
Khan Academy

I am so nervous. I am not sure how to prepare for RC, I am terrible in math, I have been watching Chad's videos but I am still really scared.
I will reschedule if I have to but I want to take it before the application process starts.
So I hope I am ready by then. I work night shifts at ER so it makes it harder to study consistently. But we will see!

May 17th... My biggest problem right now- allergy. I cant study properly, and medications dont work 100%, but they make me very drowsy. On the test day the least I want is to worry about are my itchy eyes, runny nose... Does anyone have the same concern?

Belochka, I have allergy problems too. What I do to help is take (insert brand name here) every night before bed. It's a 24-hour dosage, and it takes about 3 hours to kick in, so by morning I'm allergy free and I won't have to worry about it making me drowsy (even though it claims to be the non-drowsy type).

If no allergy pills work for you, I suggest seeing a physician to get Flonase or something like that. It'll take 1.5 weeks of daily use to take full effect, but it sure does work (at least for most people)

OMG I'm taking it May 18th and I am SOO not prepared. I tried taking the Achiever test and gave up halfway through the natural sciences cause I was guessing on most of the questions! I'm SCREWED!!!!!!!! ...good luck to you guys though.

Belochka, I have allergy problems too. What I do to help is take (insert brand name here) every night before bed. It's a 24-hour dosage, and it takes about 3 hours to kick in, so by morning I'm allergy free and I won't have to worry about it making me drowsy (even though it claims to be the non-drowsy type).

If no allergy pills work for you, I suggest seeing a physician to get Flonase or something like that. It'll take 1.5 weeks of daily use to take full effect, but it sure does work (at least for most people)

Thanks for the suggestion,Worried 12345! After you have mentioned Flonase, I actually realized that I do have a prescription for it, I just never filled it, lol.

I have asthma and allergies and I use Flovent for a nasal spray. It is actually similar to an inhaler in that it is a mist, and I put a baby bottle nipple over the "mouth piece" and spray into my nose. I love it, especially since I HATE nasal sprays that you can taste and drip down your throat. Just letting you know in case you hate the nasty taste of the sprays too. And this method, in my opinion, keeps yours nasal passages open for longer periods of time too, when compared to the sprays.

My appointment is for May 30, so I'm just outside of four weeks away. I've been studying:

ACS study guides for gen chem and ochem
Cliff's AP Bio
Math Destroyer
Crack PAT
Kaplan BB
Ross' PAT videos from ***********

My school is also purchasing a copy of TopScore Pro and I will probably start to take advantage of that in a week or two.

I also suffer from allergies and have found the OTC generic for Zyrtec to work pretty well. You do have to sign for it though (at least in MI) so you may have to ask the pharmacist for it.

Last edited:
Glad to be part of this group. Took my test this morning after a sleepless night:scared:. I did a lot better than I thought I was going to! Especially after taking the Biology section, it was a tough one! Overall my scores were TS-19, AA-20, PAT-23. I was pleased to say the least considering I never hit 20 on any of the Kaplan practice tests. I even took the 2009 online version of the DAT and got like a 17 in sciences! For study materials my primary source was actually the online Kaplan course along with the DAT Destroyer. Contrary to what Ive read on a lot of these posts, I actually thought the Kaplan course helped a lot. Provided me with good studying structure and provided 5 practice exams. Granted I wouldnt just rely on Kaplan, thats why I hashed out all the problems in the DAT destroyer over and over again. Best of luck to all of you yet to take it!

I have mine on the 30th. I can't decide if I feel anxious to take it and get it over with or nervous about how soon it will be..