The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

TBR does not go into that much detail on AA specifically. As for Barron's my concern is that while they are probably great for content, the questions on AP exams are discreet (except for the FRQ part) so they won't emphasize the same test taking strategies or integration of other subjects, and of course there is no AP Sociology

I'm a bit confused, how much more detail do you think we need to know about AAs beyond their names/symbols and structures (R-group properties)? I took an upper level course in biochemistry focused on proteins and that's pretty much all the AA-specifics we needed to answer questions about their roles in protein structure/function and any effects of mutations that substitute AA. I think test takers could be having issues with these deductions rather than their raw knowledge as it's not something you can learn just by memorizing the AA details. Please let me know if I'm missing something major here.

There is already way too much material to cover if we just use prep books, it would be a bit ridiculous if we were expected to start using textbooks for biochem. I took a look at TBR bioII (biochem) and it definitely covers the basics of "1st year biochemistry" in enough (and maybe too much) detail. I feel the whole textbook idea is exaggerated and will be way too time consuming...

As for the Barron's psych/soci, I though people were referring to the MCAT study pack they put together? Would also like to avoid textbooks here if possible, but I can't judge since I only took one course of each a while ago...

Reactions: 1 user
It's SO MUCH EASIER NOW!
I have to say that I disagree with this statement. Its alot harder (for me at least) due to the endurance needed to take it. The passages were also longer. The verbal was more manageable, but again it was a longer exam. I voided because of the verbal but the PS and BS were fine and I was finishing them with 5-25 minutes to spare. This exam I took 4/17 not once did I finish a section early.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"The first percentile rank tables for the new exam will be estimated from the scores of test takers who sit for the first few test administrations.
Because the 2016 application cycle will open before the 2015 testing year is done, we will use data from the first few administrations of the new exam to create the percentile rank tables that your admissions committee can use for 2016 selection. We recognize that the first test takers on the new exam may be different from test takers who sit for the exam later in the year. It is possible that early test takers will be higher scoring than those who test later. We also recognize that 2015 may be an unusual testing year. Some test takers may decide to wait until 2016 to sit for the new MCAT exam. We can estimate the new percentile rank tables for a typical year using the data from the first few administrations of the new MCAT exam because history tells us that MCAT scores vary in predictable ways for test takers from different undergraduate institutions, years in college, gender, racial/ethnic groups, and other demographic characteristics. We will use historic data to estimate what the distribution of scores will look like in a typical testing year given the characteristics and scores of early test takers." -AAMC

judging by what I bolded, they are going to deflate our grades!!!

Does that "first test takers" include May or just April ones?
If they do the adjustment to only April, it's not fair to May? Because I mean May test takers do not seem to know much more..

Last edited:
Hey guys ! Since they close the April thread, I want to share what my two friends texted me from yesterday. They took the exam and this is what one said :

"DO NOT BELIEVE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT PHYSICS IS NOT ON THE TEST BC IT IS !!!" Go over the outline and make sure you know everything because everything is fair game. I had more physics than anything else BUT it was purely conceptual. Make sure you know data analysis (look up pub med). study physics, don't make the mistake to think because there is more amino acids, there is no physics questions. Chemistry, its not like the old exams so DO NOT WASTE your time studying formulas, mole, all that is a lie. Make sure you know how to incorporated to physics and biology. Dont waste your time in prep books bc they don't have a clue what's being tested. Do ALL AAMC even if you get wrong answers But make sure you understand the concept behind it. Khan videos do help but not completely. Can't say about Khan passages bc as you know I didn't do them, but I talked to some other girl who did do them and said IT was a waste of time. Use TPR for psychology and if you have time watch or read a psych book.

My other friend told me that he had more biochemistry and physics and to make sure you know reactions and that in both sections ( BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL) , he had 50% physics and 50 % biochemistry and some physiology. He said he was very dissapointed becasue he thought there was not gonna be a lot of physics but obviously it was more than he thought. and amino acids were pretty much everywhere. Make sure you do the AAMC practice test and don't bother with TPR, EK, or TBR, if anything get Kaplan tests for the physical.

So....... I'm like so confused because I thought physics was not important as before ?? Maybe, there were different tests going on??? And what else do we need to study on amino acids besides their charge, structure and polar, nonpolar ????? I mean any ideas out there? and how can they incorporate amino acids and physics together ? or having all the biochemistry in the physical section?
I read somewhere that Barrons is good for biochemistry??? Can someone verify this? and should we waste our time with Khan passages??

Here's what i posted in another thread. As to what is important per physics, any high yield principles that apply to biochem/medicine/physiology will be more emphasized (IMO). These are some physics topics from the AAMC 2015 MCAT guidelines that i think is important to biologic systems. They are NOT from any exam.

a) electrostatics/magnetism- electrostatics is a fundamental phenomenon that is basic to all of chemistry/biology (polarity, attraction, chemical bonding, soaps/micelles, etc)
b) circuits - analogies to blood pressure, cardiac output, peripheral resistance of blood vessels
c) fluids, gasses- again to blood flow, anesthetics, etc (poiseuille flow)
d) electrochemistry- analogies to resting membrane potential, nerve cells, bioenergetics (metabolism)
e) sound- Doppler effect (doppler ultrasound)
f) light, electromagnetic radiation- eyes, myopia/hyperopia, geometric optics
g) Nuclear physics- alpha/beta/gamma decays and half life, all very applicable to medicine (drugs)
h) lab techniques- IR, UV, HNMR, etc

Physics is -always- important, it attempts to explain natural phenomenon around us. electrostatics is the foundation for chemistry and biology. The above list is no means comprehensive, when you learn physics always think about how it can relate to medicine. MCATs isn't about plug and chug, its about seeing relationships between variables and know what changes what. Its why they call it "physical and chemical foundations of biological systems"

This is a good free pdf of "Physics in Biology and Medicine"

http://server2.phys.uniroma1.it/doc/giansanti/FISICA_TO_2010/Davidovits P. Physic#553671.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys ! Since they close the April thread, I want to share what my two friends texted me from yesterday. They took the exam and this is what one said :

"DO NOT BELIEVE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT PHYSICS IS NOT ON THE TEST BC IT IS !!!" Go over the outline and make sure you know everything because everything is fair game. I had more physics than anything else BUT it was purely conceptual. Make sure you know data analysis (look up pub med). study physics, don't make the mistake to think because there is more amino acids, there is no physics questions. Chemistry, its not like the old exams so DO NOT WASTE your time studying formulas, mole, all that is a lie. Make sure you know how to incorporated to physics and biology. Dont waste your time in prep books bc they don't have a clue what's being tested. Do ALL AAMC even if you get wrong answers But make sure you understand the concept behind it. Khan videos do help but not completely. Can't say about Khan passages bc as you know I didn't do them, but I talked to some other girl who did do them and said IT was a waste of time. Use TPR for psychology and if you have time watch or read a psych book.

My other friend told me that he had more biochemistry and physics and to make sure you know reactions and that in both sections ( BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL) , he had 50% physics and 50 % biochemistry and some physiology. He said he was very dissapointed becasue he thought there was not gonna be a lot of physics but obviously it was more than he thought. and amino acids were pretty much everywhere. Make sure you do the AAMC practice test and don't bother with TPR, EK, or TBR, if anything get Kaplan tests for the physical.

So....... I'm like so confused because I thought physics was not important as before ?? Maybe, there were different tests going on??? And what else do we need to study on amino acids besides their charge, structure and polar, nonpolar ????? I mean any ideas out there? and how can they incorporate amino acids and physics together ? or having all the biochemistry in the physical section?
I read somewhere that Barrons is good for biochemistry??? Can someone verify this? and should we waste our time with Khan passages??
Wait so should we pay more attention to general chemistry or it is not same the old exam?

for QxMD, do you need to be connected to a school's VPN for free access of pubmed articles? I already graduated... lol. Any free articles we can read?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone who has the examkrackers set be willing to share the table of contents found within the books? I know the site has what's found within each lecture (i.e. lecture 1 in the bio 1 book is Biological Molecules and Enzymes), but I would like to know the subsections within each lecture.

Dude, if you look at the Official MCAT Guide, it says that the foundational concept 5 is weighted at 60% of the Physical Sciences as exam. If you look at Foundational Concept 5's content, it's a ton of Gen Chem (along with biochem, ochem, etc). It has been said that Gen Chem will cover 35% of the physics exam. Do not ignore it.
:(

Incorrect. It's not curved. They can't do that as it would change the whole concept of a standardized test, and comparing 2015 test takers. Curving =/= setting a scale for the entire test. Refer to the following released by the AAMC. The April 17 & 18th test takers set the scale for all test takers for the 2015 year.

https://www.aamc.org/students/advisors/mcat-advisors/427058/howwillthenewscorescalebedeveloped.html
There will be no adjustment to the distribution in subsequent tests, but the first few tests dates that are supposed to set the standards are likely going to be adjusted. They're going to adjust the distribution if it is atypical, and they expect it to be atypical.

"The AAMC anticipates that these examinees will be atypical of examinees who take the new MCAT in a typical testing year—one that runs from January to September and that is not in the midst of change. If the AAMC examination of the data indicates that these examinees are atypical, we will account for the differences by adjusting the resulting score distributions so they reflect our best estimate of the distributions we’ll see in a “typical year”."

https://www.aamc.org/students/services/429314/newscorescalebedeveloped.html

Right. We are saying the same thing lol.
I guess... But something still bothers me about this whole shtick, and I'm trying to put it into intelligible words.

One problem I have is that they can't just adjust the scoring based off past mcat's distribution because:
1) The content is entirely different
2) They specifically said that they are trying to avoid old mcat's scoring distribution being centered in the top third (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/378098/data/mcat2015scorescaleguide.pdf). What's the distribution for January's mcat like? Dunno! But it's probably going to be centered in the top third.

Their methods are not aligning with their goals in my opinion.

Is it wise to still use EK bio and supplement with TBR/Kaplan (the biochem only for the latter). TBR is WAY too deteailed for the physio/regular bio section and I'd much rather focus on the basics from EK Bio + TBR/Kaplan for biochem...

Is it wise to still use EK bio and supplement with TBR/Kaplan (the biochem only for the latter). TBR is WAY too deteailed for the physio/regular bio section and I'd much rather focus on the basics from EK Bio + TBR/Kaplan for biochem...

EK molecules is so short you might as well read it. I plan to just add Kaplan BC to my studying over TBR Bio 2 book cause it's more colorful :p. And that's enough of reading for me: that's literally over a thousand of pages all books combined. I might do TBR passages for practice but only the bio ones, haven't quite decided though because of conflicting opinions here.

My fear is they will adjust it downwards because for some reason they think April exam takers will score higher than normal (this is bad for april test takers not may). That is what they said on:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/378098/data/mcat2015scorescaleguide.pdf pg. 8

How is this bad for April test takers? Say you take the April test and get a solidly mediocre score -- compared to the rest of the people who test in April. If AAMC assumes that the pool of April test-takers is more competitive than the general population of examinees, then they might determine that someone whose performance is in the middle of the pack in April may actually be closer to the top when compared to the pool of examinees as a whole, and adjust their score upward to reflect that. It doesn't make sense that they would adjust April testers' scores downward if they think that the April pool is generally more competitive.

wow, a 510 is (hypothetically) 90%? That's cray

510 is (hypothetically) the 90th percentile, not 90% of the questions right.

Quick couple questions. This is pretty confusing >.<
- They say that the early test takers may have atypical scores. Specifically, they say the earlier scores may be higher. This seems counterintuitive... why wouldn't earlier testers score lower (lack of prep materials, not sure what to expect, no info leaked out, etc.)?
- When they say they want to shift the focus back to the middle, and not the top third, what does this mean? That the old test distributions were focused on the top third? What does this mean (30-45)?
- What is the difference between curving and setting a scale in this context? Adjusting April scores to reflect their desired distribution... is curving right?
Sorry if these are dumb questions

It's really about definition of terms. AAMC does not curve, because if they did, the test wouldn't be standardized and admissions committees could not have the confidence they needed to compare September 2015 MCAT takers to April 2015 test takers. Thus, all 2015 year scores are set on the score distribution seen in the April MCAT - making it standardized. They could not do it any other way if they were to keep in mind the admissions process and the need of comparing applicants.

It's a close line, because what some of our definitions of "curving" are, well, the AAMC is doing something similar. They are adjusting the scale to reflect a typical (2016+) year, in the midst of an atypical (2015) year. Curving involves throwing questions out on a per test basis, how individuals compare directly to you, etc, and that is NOT happening on the MCAT. They are simply accounting for the changes being seen for the fact that there was not a January test, and, presumably, the fact that 2016+ years will have additional test resources, including an additional practice test from the AAMC that the 2015 test takers did not have. Thus, we will be able to get more questions wrong and get the same score someone received who got fewer questions wrong in a later year. This is the only year this will happen, according to the AAMC. (Not complaining here...:heckyeah:)

I was at an admissions committee information session, and they said that this is the best time ever to take the MCAT. There reasoning: nobody really knows, the AAMC cannot predict the future although they sure as hell do try, and thus the admissions committes are forced to be more lenient regarding the MCAT... and forced to be a holistic application process, instead of just on the numbers. Most schools will not be averaging MCAT scores anymore, because it is now impossible.

But they can average your percentiles...

For those trying to use TBR for bio. I suggest you skim through it but their content is SO SO SO SO SO in depth it is completely out of scope of the mcat. They give you every single detail in every single step and even give you the history of how molecules names came to be e.g. NAD from the dude who's name was Jean Nicot etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I was browsing the premed-related interwebz and just found this MCAT2015 Expanded Psych/Soc Outline.

They've taken AAMC's MCAT2015 outline and adapted it into a study guide with images and page references to where you can find that topic in any of the current practice materials. They only have Category 6A out right now, but it's a great start.

Just thought I'd share, especially in light of recent comments on how necessary it is to follow AAMC's outline. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I will say, as a psych major, there is a lot of material on the AAMC that was not taught in my intro class. Like Top/down processing for instance, didnt learn that until last semester in a 4000 level class. This section really is iffy to me

Hi everyone. Quick thoughts on the exam, as general as possible to not violate AAMC agreement.

I used Examkrackers prep. Find another resource for biochem. If I didn't do graduate work in biochem I would have been in some serious trouble. And even with that I finished the last question on Physics/Chem with 5 seconds to spare. Definitely the hardest section for me. Hoping for a decent score. However, I felt very confident on all other sections, so fingers crossed that my feelings are right.

Phys/Soc, even if you don't recognize some of the terms you can reason out the answer. Don't panic if you're faced with new content.

Good luck!

I am using only EK for content review, any pointers? I took the MCAT already in January but bombed verbal so I have to retake. Any advice?

Hi everyone. Quick thoughts on the exam, as general as possible to not violate AAMC agreement.

I used Examkrackers prep. Find another resource for biochem. If I didn't do graduate work in biochem I would have been in some serious trouble. And even with that I finished the last question on Physics/Chem with 5 seconds to spare. Definitely the hardest section for me. Hoping for a decent score. However, I felt very confident on all other sections, so fingers crossed that my feelings are right.

Phys/Soc, even if you don't recognize some of the terms you can reason out the answer. Don't panic if you're faced with new content.

Good luck!

What would you suggest we EK-users use for biochem? Never taken biochem before

EDIT- not asking for specifics, please do NOT tell me anything from the actual exam, haha

What would you suggest we EK-users use for biochem? Never taken biochem before

EDIT- not asking for specifics, please do NOT tell me anything from the actual exam, haha
I am using the Kaplan Biochemistry book (I never took Biochem before) and really like it. I also have an extra copy for sale that is brand new, never used if your interested.

Gonna reflect some here..
I took the April test after I failed the one in jan( all sections were just terrible). I had a solid one month to study for the new test and don't know how I did it. I did feel like I was improving on my verbal even though not up to par, I hope MCAT gods won't disappoint me like last time. One section was the hardest, the others were okay. But it's my instinct so I hope my instinct is all right. I'm enjoying this week but I don't give up!!! I'm relived to be hopefully done !!!!!

Advice: print out the aamc material /outlines that's gonna be tested and base your studying on that.... Everyone knows biochem will be on the test so make sure you have a solid understanding on that. Do lots and lots of practice passages. Don't worry about time at first just why you missed a question, was it cause of material or something in the passage that you interpreted wrong.

Good luck everyone!!!!!! Don't ask people what was on the test. A very stupid question. This isn't a midterm or final.if I tell you something was not on it doesn't mean it won't show up on a future test.......

Good luck all!!! If you want to be a physician , STUDY WITH YOUR HEART!!! If your FORCING YOURSWLF IT MIGHT NOT BE WORTH IT. It's fascinating what I learned while studying especially with psychology and people's behavior!!

This post might not be helpful but just wanted to vent and yea... Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I was browsing the premed-related interwebz and just found this MCAT2015 Expanded Psych/Soc Outline.

They've taken AAMC's MCAT2015 outline and adapted it into a study guide with images and page references to where you can find that topic in any of the current practice materials. They only have Category 6A out right now, but it's a great start.

Just thought I'd share, especially in light of recent comments on how necessary it is to follow AAMC's outline. :)

None of the links work for me. Am I doing something wrong?

None of the links work for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Hah, no, they just put links to anchors when there are no anchors on the page.

On the right hand column, click on content category 6A and it should take you to a working version of the study guide.

Would love some advice - I'm taking the test May 22nd and felt pretty confident with the improvements I've made since starting to prep in Feb. After this weekend though, a number of things changed. I looked at the comments from SDN & Reddit & it seems like TPR (which I used) missed the mark with its low emphasis on biochem. I was also doing well on CARS and thought the AAMC Question packs would be easier, but I did some passages with very poor accuracy and something about the passage content & questions/answers seem different to me. I'm planning to review my notes from a biochem class I took last semester and work through the Psych content bullet by bullet with the AAMC guidebook. I've already taken 6 FL TPR practice tests and I'm not sure continuing with this will help with the actual test. It doesn't seem like scoring well on them will be indicative of the real MCAT, so I'm not sure how to fix my stress levels and restore confidence for test day.

Reading through the official AAMC psych/soc outline, the EK book is pretty good with psych but drops the ball pretty hard with soc. So many terms they just ignored in the book that's on the outline.

I can say firsthand that a medical school dean (1 school) has explicitly stated that they will average percentiles for the upcoming matriculation year.
I highly doubt that this would happen.
AMCAS' recommendation was for adcoms to use a percentile as a guideline rather than try to calculate the old mcat score from the new one. So as you said, averaging percentiles would be in line with that recommendation. Only a handful of schools average percentiles though, as the majority of schools focus on your best score or your most recent score.

As an aside, a 508 in the new mcat is not on the same percentile as a 30 mcat. I think people are a little hard on themselves with the diagnostic test.

When using EK to prep and you come across something you've never seen in your life

qXW2sUf.jpg

Reactions: 7 users