The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fenderboi930

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?
 
I remember reading it in some SDN thread. I think from one of the scoring guides. And no, that would mean that our scaled scores (e.g. on the 528 scale) might be slightly better. Aka slight advantage.

But that was just a hesitant prediction, not a certainty, so basically still in the "we have no clue what the f*** anything means" boat.
Okay, that could make sense. I'm just going into this doing the best I can, and knowing this whole cycle is among the biggest crap shoots we could be a part of.
 
@carpediem22 Yeah, at this point all we can do is our best. And enjoy your year abroad! I spent last summer abroad and wish I had more time/money for travel right now.

@Glazedonutlove that sounds like a great day in my book. I procrastinated studying today by sleeping in and then going shopping 😛 Does caffeine help you at all?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@carpediem22 Yeah, at this point all we can do is our best. And enjoy your year abroad! I spent last summer abroad and wish I had more time/money for travel right now.

@Glazedonutlove that sounds like a great day in my book. I procrastinated studying today by sleeping in and then going shopping 😛 Does caffeine help you at all?
coffee made me awake enough to get on sdn...i guess it's a start?
 
Also, I am sitting in a coffee shop right now with a case of donuts (doughnuts?) right next to me, and all I can think of is if @Glazedonutlove and @mcatjelly joined forces you could call yourselves "Glazed Jelly Donut." That would be fantastic. Much more fantastic than studying chemistry right now. :yawn: My brain likes to think up these scenarios but rejects any physics knowledge I try to retain.
 
@bee17 Thanks! If you do end up thinking you want to take a gap year (even if you kill the exam!), definitely look into the various national scholarships available. There are so many funded ways to go abroad post-graduation, so if it's something you want to do don't let money stop you. The MD/PhD road is a long one without many breaks, so traveling is now or never!
 
Also, I am sitting in a coffee shop right now with a case of donuts (doughnuts?) right next to me, and all I can think of is if @Glazedonutlove and @mcatjelly joined forces you could call yourselves "Glazed Jelly Donut." That would be fantastic. Much more fantastic than studying chemistry right now. :yawn: My brain likes to think up these scenarios but rejects any physics knowledge I try to retain.

But I... don't like jelly donuts.
 
When are you guys shooting to send in your AMCAS by? I think the one thing that might delay me is making sure my personal statement is very polished and looking good to go.
 
When are you guys shooting to send in your AMCAS by? I think the one thing that might delay me is making sure my personal statement is very polished and looking good to go.

Transcripts are in the mail as we speak, letters of recommendation are being crafted...as soon as I'm done with the MCAT ill start cranking out my essays and try and everything complete by the 10th at the latest. Would absolutely love to have it done by the 3rd but I would rather spend a bit more time and submit a solid product then rush it...What is the general consensus on what is considered "submitted early"?
 
Hah! I've already entered my personal details AND solicited for letter of recommendation!

(there's so much more to do, it never ends)
Okay you're stressing me out now, I haven't solicited yet. I did fill out my basics 🙂 I am trying to figure out who I should be asking, I am a little non-traditional.
How much time does one usually spend polishing their personal statement?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Transcripts are in the mail as we speak, letters of recommendation are being crafted...as soon as I'm done with the MCAT ill start cranking out my essays and try and everything complete by the 10th at the latest. Would absolutely love to have it done by the 3rd but I would rather spend a bit more time and submit a solid product then rush it...What is the general consensus on what is considered "submitted early"?
I think as of now I'm aiming for mid-June at the LATEST. I'm working with someone who used to be on a med school board of admissions, and that's what they recommended. And what essays are you working on? Secondaries?
 
Also...One of my professors told me to "write my own letter and I'll sign it" so currently planning on how to make myself look f*ckin amazing without coming off as a total douche.


I think as of now I'm aiming for mid-June at the LATEST. I'm working with someone who used to be on a med school board of admissions, and that's what they recommended. And what essays are you working on? Secondaries?

All primary essays, I'd like to have secondaries atleast started for my tops schools but I just want to get my PS and that stuff taken care of ASAP
 
Also...One of my professors told me to "write my own letter and I'll sign it" so currently planning on how to make myself look f*ckin amazing without coming off as a total douche.




All primary essays, I'd like to have secondaries atleast started for my tops schools but I just want to get my PS and that stuff taken care of ASAP

Don't do it. They will know. Seriously it is not difficult to distinguish a professor's writing from a student's.
 
Transcripts are in the mail as we speak, letters of recommendation are being crafted...as soon as I'm done with the MCAT ill start cranking out my essays and try and everything complete by the 10th at the latest. Would absolutely love to have it done by the 3rd but I would rather spend a bit more time and submit a solid product then rush it...What is the general consensus on what is considered "submitted early"?

I'm in a similar position. Just sent out for my transcript request today. My letter writers want to see my essay/resume first, so I'll get that done right after the exam. My strongest writer is in the wind for the moment, but I will find him.

Would like to apply by June 15th. I leave America on the 16th.
 
Also...One of my professors told me to "write my own letter and I'll sign it" so currently planning on how to make myself look f*ckin amazing without coming off as a total douche.




All primary essays, I'd like to have secondaries atleast started for my tops schools but I just want to get my PS and that stuff taken care of ASAP
Isn't the personal statement really the only essay besides the smaller blurbs about meaningful activities?
 
i wanted to submit the first day... but now I'm thinking maybe i should wait for the prelim percentiles to come up? i don't know. i have my PS almost done (started awhile back), transcripts pending...

now for the LOR's, do we just need that by the time we submit secondaries? or can we get those in after submitting our app? or do i have to wait for those to come in before i can submit?
 
Isn't the personal statement really the only essay besides the smaller blurbs about meaningful activities?

Yeah basically worried about the PS but all that other stuff takes time too which adds up! Biggest thing is getting a solid draft my PS done in a decent amount of time so I can send it out to people with a solid eye to help me edit it
 
did you guys not send your transcripts electronically? Issn't that better than mail? I'm lost on this...
but yea got letters, have a good draft of ps, filled out basics on application. and I don't like jelly donuts either sorry bee
 
Yeah most schools prefer electronic!

I'm in similar boat to most of y'all. Finished PS, have all letters requested, have outline of AMCAS. Need to fill in the blurbs and write my MD/PhD essays though x.x
 
did you guys not send your transcripts electronically? Issn't that better than mail? I'm lost on this...
but yea got letters, have a good draft of ps, filled out basics on application. and I don't like jelly donuts either sorry bee
I'm requesting an electronic transcript as soon as my official grades are released this Friday (my school apparently is really quick with getting them out, and I wanted this semester to boost my gpa one last bit).
 
did you guys not send your transcripts electronically? Issn't that better than mail? I'm lost on this...
but yea got letters, have a good draft of ps, filled out basics on application. and I don't like jelly donuts either sorry bee
My university does not do electronic transcripts. I printed a form from AAMC and sent it to them. They'll send my transcripts to AMCAS in the mail. Viola! Official transcripts on my application.

Also, about the LOR. You don't need them when you submit, as far as I am aware.
 
LOR's are not needed when you submit, those are one of the few things that constantly be updated after you have submitted the primary app

Decided to purchase Interfolio to handle all that jazz
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow... I am doing the AAMC official guide questions and the Bio/Biochem section is terrifying me with the genetics. My confidence is tanking each question I encounter..
 
Oh my God. I just came within two inches of getting food poisoning, 36 hours before the MCAT. I made myself a pizza and as I was bringing the first slice to my mouth, I looked over and noticed that the lid of the pizza sauce I had used was full of mold. So disappointing, the pizza looked so good and I had to throw the entire thing down the trash chute. And now I have no food so I'll just sit here and starve 🙁 Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful I didn't eat the mold.
 
Oh my God. I just came within two inches of getting food poisoning, 36 hours before the MCAT. I made myself a pizza and as I was bringing the first slice to my mouth, I looked over and noticed that the lid of the pizza sauce I had used was full of mold. So disappointing, the pizza looked so good and I had to throw the entire thing down the trash chute. And now I have no food so I'll just sit here and starve 🙁 Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful I didn't eat the mold.
This was a legitimate fear of mine these past few days.
 
Oh my God. I just came within two inches of getting food poisoning, 36 hours before the MCAT. I made myself a pizza and as I was bringing the first slice to my mouth, I looked over and noticed that the lid of the pizza sauce I had used was full of mold. So disappointing, the pizza looked so good and I had to throw the entire thing down the trash chute. And now I have no food so I'll just sit here and starve 🙁 Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful I didn't eat the mold.

I'm working my last shift in the ER today, I have been drenching my hands in sanitizer
 
I am loving all of this application talk 🙂
I am yet to start my application unfortunately. I have asked for LORs at least. I am also using interfolio since i'm doing MD/DO
 
I am requesting my transcripts on Friday, right after I get back from taking the test. My school does a committee letter so that will be ready for me this month. I haven't even touched the application yet, but did my personal statement, so it shouldn't take too long.
As for future, I am going to try this cycle. If I don't get in, I will move to a different state, take a gap year or two and do research or clinical jobs. I will apply both MD and DO next time.
 
@Flashfan I am so jealous that your committee letter will be ready this month! My school doesn't guarantee that it will be done until August 1. And my professors are being slow writing their letters so mine will probably be one of the last ones they write. It sucks, because I've gotten everything done so early, only to have the stupid committee letter make me late. I asked my professors for letters months ago, I filled out AMCAS, my transcript was received by AMCAS a week ago, I've written my PS, I've more or less written my most meaningful activities essays...Just the dang committee letter holding me back.
 
@Flashfan I am so jealous that your committee letter will be ready this month! My school doesn't guarantee that it will be done until August 1. And my professors are being slow writing their letters so mine will probably be one of the last ones they write. It sucks, because I've gotten everything done so early, only to have the stupid committee letter make me late. I asked my professors for letters months ago, I filled out AMCAS, my transcript was received by AMCAS a week ago, I've written my PS, I've more or less written my most meaningful activities essays...Just the dang committee letter holding me back.

Wow I feel so bad for you! See here I am complaining about going to a small school and having little to no support with the application process (mostly having to do a lot of research on my own), yet my committee letter was submitted to AMCAS today. There's definitely pros and cons to everything though. Don't let it kill your focus. Rock this MCATs socks off and you'll do fine 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting on one class to get a grade so I can request my transcripts... Literally my other classes are way ahead of the deadline, but this one is basically been holding me back for a few days now.
 
I go to a small school but the advising has been great. I had to have my requests, my personal statement and everything turned in my March or April so they could meet. If I don't get in, I can't blame my school.