The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fenderboi930

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Real talk: Do we think memorizing glycolysis, kreb's, beta oxidation, etc. are necessary? I don't mean substrates & products & big concepts/terms, I mean literally every intermediate and enzyme.

Before I thought no, now I'm wondering if that is how I should spend tomorrow... Anyone have insight from someone who took April's exam?
 
Real talk: Do we think memorizing glycolysis, kreb's, beta oxidation, etc. are necessary? I don't mean substrates & products & big concepts/terms, I mean literally every intermediate and enzyme.

Before I thought no, now I'm wondering if that is how I should spend tomorrow... Anyone have insight from someone who took April's exam?

If the test questions I have seen so far are any indication than no. However, its realy hard to tell
 
Yeah I feel like they would be more likely to include a reaction from a pathway and ask conceptual/analytic questions rather than straight up recall.

Yeah. I would say no where everything happens, what is produced, aerobic vs anaerobic…etc, but I would not waste time with every individual reaction. There are probably other things you can shore up that will produce a higher yield.
 
^^ Magnetism is barely on it, from what I understand. Other than F = qvB and (usually) F = mv^2/R. The nitty gritty details of induction and all that though I am pretty sure is not.
 
I am too embarrassed to discuss how poorly I am doing in the physics sections. If they start asking too much about magnetism, lenses, or anything other than an energy question. I may lose my *&%$ and void.
No no don't void. I am in the same boat. I do not think it is possible to know as little as i do, especially after having spent so much time on it. Physics is a foreign language to me but to many out there too. Hopefully we know enough gen chem and biochem to make up the difference...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 0_o
^^ Magnetism is barely on it, from what I understand. Other than F = qvB and (usually) F = mv^2/R. The nitty gritty details of induction and all that though I am pretty sure is not.
I was thinking the same as well. I feel like they toned down physics into only having to know energy and work in a lot of detail. Although having a general grasp on the other topics is still needed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh god, Young's experiment, Van Der Waals equation...y'all are freaking me out, reminding me of all these things I hardly remember studying.
Instead of doing last minute studying, I'm on YouTube watching One Direction interviews. You'd never know I'm a 20-year-old adult about to apply for medical school.
 
Oh god, Young's experiment, Van Der Waals equation...y'all are freaking me out, reminding me of all these things I hardly remember studying.
Instead of doing last minute studying, I'm on YouTube watching One Direction interviews. You'd never know I'm a 20-year-old adult about to apply for medical school.
Wait...like can we be friends?
 
:heckyeah: Are you a directioner too?

Wait...like can we be friends?

This face is the only thing that's getting me through this week.
tumblr_mwfrcs1xLw1sq4kyro3_500.jpg
 
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
Those both seem like terrible options

:hilarious: that moment when you realize you're probably going to get outscored by neurotic perfectionists
 
Lol if you think those scores are bad enough to void then I am so screwed.
ok haha...I think I am just thinking about it all wrong... I'm just so used to the general feeling of disappointment every time I get a B- . They should make a new ICD code for pre-med majors: excessive anxiety related to fear of receiving a grade percentage below 90%, characterized by the intense fear and paranoia that medical admissions directors will look at your file, and laugh.
 
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
Uhhh these seem like more than acceptable scores, and around the type of scores people who did well on the april test got
 
I've distracted myself by trying to fix my mac laptop..keep getting the grey screen and won't load the desktop. Anyone here know a thing or two about computers?
 
So one of the questions on the AAMC asked what would happen to protein synthesis if D-Alanine was used instead of L- Alanine. The solution said that it is inhibited because cells don't use D-ala...but technically....I said nothing would happen because L-Alanine is nonessential and synthesized (rather easily). So... missing L-Alanine wouldn't inhibit protein synthesis, it would just shift the metabolic equilibrium to produce more L-ala (Le Chatelier's principle, glucose-alanine cycle, at some expense of the cell, yada yada yada)

I don't even know where to begin on revising my thinking process.
 
So one of the questions on the AAMC asked what would happen to protein synthesis if D-Alanine was used instead of L- Alanine. The solution said that it is inhibited because cells don't use D-ala...but technically....I said nothing would happen because L-Alanine is nonessential and synthesized (rather easily). So... missing L-Alanine wouldn't inhibit protein synthesis, it would just shift the metabolic equilibrium to produce more L-ala (Le Chatelier's principle, glucose-alanine cycle, at some expense of the cell, yada yada yada)

I don't even know where to begin on revising my thinking process.
I think they might be saying if D-alanine is provided to the cell, it would inhibit the enzyme, not that D-alanine is synthesized in the cell, if I understand your argument.
 
I think they might be saying if D-alanine is provided to the cell, it would inhibit the enzyme, not that D-alanine is synthesized in the cell, if I understand your argument.

Ah...thanks!
I need to rewire my entire mind-circuit for this exam, and then rewire it back immediately after I take this exam (talk about a futile cycle!)
 
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
Your scores look solid actually.. If you know you can do better in bio, I wouldnt worry about it.

What were your section breakdowns on TPR exams if you don't mind sharing? Idk what to think of them at this point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
LMAO you are joking right, or bragging, or trolling?? Why in the world would you void with such awesome scores. I can't make it past 70s and there's no way in hell/heaven I'm voiding. I mean why would anyone even void, now if I have a severe panic attack during the test to the point where I can't breathe anymore then I might consider voiding. Why do people void? Someone explain this to me!!!

You are fine, stop being such a perfectionist!
 
LMAO you are joking right, or bragging, or trolling?? Why in the world would you void with such awesome scores. I can't make it past 70s and there's no way in hell/heaven I'm voiding. I mean why would anyone even void, now if I have a severe panic attack during the test to the point where I can't breathe anymore then I might consider voiding. Why do people void? Someone explain this to me!!!

You are fine, stop being such a perfectionist!
Not considering voiding anymore after reading this 🙂 I need to give up on trying to feel like I've mastered every topic bc that's impossivle. I'm just going to trust I've done enough and just get done with the stupid thing!
 
It's funny. I've found that studying is relaxing now because it keeps my mind occupied with the topics themselves. If I'm not studying like reading a book or watching something, I just start worrying about the future because my mind has more time to wander. Granted, I'm not doing problems or anything. I'm just reviewing the sample test, studying the "way" they are asking their questions, and reading over my notes.
 
Ok I took the AAMC FL today and got
PS: 81%
CR: 85%
Bio: 78% ....don't know what happened here, I usually do best in this section by far
Psych: 81%

Looks like a lot of the things I missed were stupid mistakes and definitions...should I cram or just void? :nailbiting:
void unless you love the Caribbean


Also...One of my professors told me to "write my own letter and I'll sign it" so currently planning on how to make myself look f*ckin amazing without coming off as a total douche.
use:
"Basically, when I first saw him I knew he was true greatness. At first I was hesistant to even have him shadow under me...I mean with his massive intellect, I should be HIS shadow. Soon, after getting over my nerves, I approached him and became a better doctor because of it. Despite his impressive demeanor, hes a very down to earth person. Would not be surprised if he cures all forms of cancer within 3 months of becoming a doctor"
 
Your scores look solid actually.. If you know you can do better in bio, I wouldnt worry about it.

What were your section breakdowns on TPR exams if you don't mind sharing? Idk what to think of them at this point.

My TPR for #2:
PS: 126
CR: 124 (didn't finish the section....seriously struggling with staying awake)
Bio: 128
Psych: 127

I think what is making me panic so much is looking at the material and still having major deficient areas ---> like what the heck fluid mechanics?