The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Are any of you guys doing old AAMC Fl's or old Assessment Questions? I'll probably do both and order the first 2 volumes of Question Pack Bio just to make sure if it's basically the same as old fl's/SA cuz i'm paranoid lol.

In the same boat as well.
All I have left is physics review and practice questions, practice questions , practice questions! :arghh::dead:
I'm so beat but I'm pushing through it. I'm kinda excited that this is almost over. 6 weeks left! We can do this! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you guys doing old AAMC Fl's or old Assessment Questions? I'll probably do both and order the first 2 volumes of Question Pack Bio just to make sure if it's basically the same as old fl's/SA cuz i'm paranoid lol.

Can you let me know if the new question packs are the same as the old SA's?! If so im not evene going to bother buying all of them haha

Anyone take NS exams? I took the diagnostic and got a 503. My scores for test 1 are horrible though, 494! =0. Took the old exam and got a 26 but was averaging around 27-29 on the old aamc practice exams. I feel like these are much harder than anything I took in the past.

Anyone take NS exams? I took the diagnostic and got a 503. My scores for test 1 are horrible though, 494! =0. Took the old exam and got a 26 but was averaging around 27-29 on the old aamc practice exams. I feel like these are much harder than anything I took in the past.
Not sure about the NS exams but I just took the Kaplan FL2 and got a 494 as well, but that's up from my diagnostic of 487. Didn't help that my cat started having a vomiting fit midway through CARS.

I just took my first NS FL and got a 499, although I kept getting distracted, someone almost burned down their house yesterday and the fire trucks were blaring for almost an hour. I took the diagnostic from them in Feb scored 489. I took a Kap diagnostic and scored a 510.

My test endurance is horrible :/

How do you all review the FLs after you've taken them? How do you study from it?
I make sure I really understand why I didn't know the answer. Was it a lack of content comprehension? Did I confuse myself? Was there a definition I didn't know but should have? After that I address the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken a couple Next step exams and have yet to break 500 except for the diagnostic. I am feeling as though I should postpone test day if this doesnt happen soon. Do you all have similar or different ways of perceiving how prepared you are?

I've taken a couple Next step exams and have yet to break 500 except for the diagnostic. I am feeling as though I should postpone test day if this doesnt happen soon. Do you all have similar or different ways of perceiving how prepared you are?

Only problem is there aren't many dates available to postpone to...especially in the northeast. And for this exam it's very hard to say. The old one, you had 8 aamc trusted sources to base your score off of. No test prep company knows what they're doing and I don't blame them, AAMC is really making difficult by providing only one practice exam.

Not sure if anybody asked, but what are y'all using for practice questions for the Behavioral Sciences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if anybody asked, but what are y'all using for practice questions for the Behavioral Sciences?
TPR SW, Khan academy, EK 9th, TPR Psych review book, Kaplan online passages, and all the full lengths (kaplan/aamc/ek/NS/mcat cracker/mcgraw hill/TPR)

I feel it's the easiest section to get a high score in, just lots of memorization.. I've been slacking tho, finished review of psych a month ago and have hardly done any practice since :(

So I would love to hear what your guys score ranges are. Mine are all over the map. I took my 3rd full-length today and it went up 12 points. Granted I started really low, but it seems like I don't have a steady range. Anyone else feel the same?

So I would love to hear what your guys score ranges are. Mine are all over the map. I took my 3rd full-length today and it went up 12 points. Granted I started really low, but it seems like I don't have a steady range. Anyone else feel the same?
Nope... Pretty much hit the same every Sunday. BUT I haven't had much time to do much besides take a test and review it each week.....

Hi so I'm looking to buy these exams do you have any thoughts on them? Are the challegeing?

Hello everyone.
I will be taking my first FL this Saturday using a Kaplan exam.
I just finished content review. It's been really hard to juggle everything and MCAT.
Do you all think I am really behind in MCAT prep?
Also, when is the last day the May Test takers can reschedule for the June exam? (Really hope I don't need to do that)

Hello everyone.
I will be taking my first FL this Saturday using a Kaplan exam.
I just finished content review. It's been really hard to juggle everything and MCAT.
Do you all think I am really behind in MCAT prep?
Also, when is the last day the May Test takers can reschedule for the June exam? (Really hope I don't need to do that)
I haven't even finished content review yet, but feeling pretty confident in my ability to do well so far. Just gotta keep pushing yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't taken any FL yet. I have probably 95% of content review done, just need to do a few more topics as I've been traveling again (electrochemistry, 2 more organ systems, lab techniques, and light/optics...like 4 days) then memorize some things. I'm not too worried about the timing, as I'll be back in America soon so my working environment will be ideal.

Going to take first FL on April 25th. (23rd=flying in, 24th=depression/anguish/enjoying my bed, 25th=go time). Aiming to take a maximum of 2 TPR FL, 2 Kaplan, and the 1 AAMC in the following 2 and a half weeks, leaving me a week and a half before the exam to review all exams and relax just a bit. Will post results as I go.

I haven't even finished content review yet, but feeling pretty confident in my ability to do well so far. Just gotta keep pushing yourself.

I haven't taken any FL yet. I have probably 95% of content review done, just need to do a few more topics as I've been traveling again (electrochemistry, 2 more organ systems, lab techniques, and light/optics...like 4 days) then memorize some things. I'm not too worried about the timing, as I'll be back in America soon so my working environment will be ideal.

Going to take first FL on April 25th. (23rd=flying in, 24th=depression/anguish/enjoying my bed, 25th=go time). Aiming to take a maximum of 2 TPR FL, 2 Kaplan, and the 1 AAMC in the following 2 and a half weeks, leaving me a week and a half before the exam to review all exams and relax just a bit. Will post results as I go.

Omg…this makes me feel so much better. I'm not done with content review either and for the past week and a half, I've been beating myself over it. I've been SO stressed out…I mean, I know I'm behind. But I still think I can finish content review at the pace I learn, while taking practice tests as I go (will be taking my first one on Saturday too) It's just that SDN makes me want to crawl into a hole and cry sometimes lol because everyone is so much more further in their MCAT prep.

Omg…this makes me feel so much better. I'm not done with content review either and for the past week and a half, I've been beating myself over it. I've been SO stressed out…I mean, I know I'm behind. But I still think I can finish content review at the pace I learn, while taking practice tests as I go (will be taking my first one on Saturday too) It's just that SDN makes me want to crawl into a hole and cry sometimes lol because everyone is so much more further in their MCAT prep.

You're not behind if you're doing content review at the rate you learn and taking your first practice test 5 WEEKS before the exam. I'm taking a little road trip tomorrow for a few days and I'll only be using online material (flashcards, *maybe* buying the question pack now). I'm not too worried about it, I do like living too. So long as I get through everything, understand material, and practice plenty... the details are inconsequential.

How in depth would guys say Metabolism/Respiration is on the sample test/question pack/Khan Passages? (For those who have studied with that material.) Khan videos are very superficial but, Kaplan is super detailed on the content.

Take enough time to learn the material on the first read through so you don't have to look back at it as much during your review, but don't worry about too many of the small details. Almost all of the small details can be gleaned from the passages. So far I think I'm getting better at finding little hints/clues in passages. I feel like a few practice exams has helped my answer choice elimination and educated guessing abilities. Lots of 50/50 answers that I miss though.

Have you all memorized the the amino acids? Or do you think that's too much? I imagine they're likely to ask about the polarity of the sidechains

I am officially beginning to panic, Ive been doing the NS tests and I am scoring 497-502. I find their verbal and bio next to impossible, has anyone taken these and find them to be towards the kaplan side of difficulty? I sure do.

In the same boat as well.
All I have left is physics review and practice questions, practice questions , practice questions! :arghh::dead:
I'm so beat but I'm pushing through it. I'm kinda excited that this is almost over. 6 weeks left! We can do this! :highfive:
How long did you study for? What were your study methods?

i have to say that a couple of the replies above helped me relieve some stress since i will be finishing content review this week (i thought i was incredibly behind). After this i will be doing practice questions nonstop.
Guys i'd be laying if i didnt admit i am really nervous about all of this. I am afraid i will fall flat on my face :(. As i read everything, everything makes sense but i am having a lot of trouble with actually remembering the info after some time has passed. I guess the MCAT is supposed ti break you down and make you question the very meaning of your existence. If that is the case, it is doing an incredibly good job :confused:

As i read everything, everything makes sense but i am having a lot of trouble with actually remembering the info after some time has passed.
THIS! I seem to forget some of the stuff I learned back when I first studied and its frustrating because I have to waste time relearning. Anyone have tips??

THIS! I seem to forget some of the stuff I learned back when I first studied and its frustrating because I have to waste time relearning. Anyone have tips??
Learning curve = after the 6th or 7th time learning it, it will stick

hey all kinda new to the new mcat (haha) and am planning on taking this bad boy in august and am now trying to gather all my materials and find out a bit more. can anyone link me to a place that breaks down what scores I should be looking to get in order to be a competitive applicant? I saw somewhere 500+ but not sure how accurate this is since I've been reading through this forum and some people are happy receiving 490+
thanks in advance!

hey all kinda new to the new mcat (haha) and am planning on taking this bad boy in august and am now trying to gather all my materials and find out a bit more. can anyone link me to a place that breaks down what scores I should be looking to get in order to be a competitive applicant? I saw somewhere 500+ but not sure how accurate this is since I've been reading through this forum and some people are happy receiving 490+
thanks in advance!

Wait…are you applying this cycle or next cycle?

thanks in advance!

You should aim for 80th percentile, so ~507 and up with this new MCAT.
Traditionally, this score often corresponded with ~60th percentile on prep companies' tests.

30dcivk.png

I've met a few pre meds with the misinterpretation that you want to score at least a 500. Reality wise, I would say 505-507+ is where you want to be at least.

You should aim for 80th percentile, so ~507 and up with this new MCAT.
Traditionally, this score often corresponded with ~60th percentile on prep companies' tests.

30dcivk.png
Wait What do you mean it corresponds to the 60th percentile in prep companies' tests?!?!? Would you mind to elaborate
And yes absolutely, you want to aim for a 508 on the real thing (508+ even better)

I've listening to a lot of premeda talk (and i've kinda gotten the same vibe from here) that some companies have practice tests that are significantly hardee than others. I've heard that Kaplan has the hardest tests around and that Princeton's are easy? Is there any truth to this?

I've listening to a lot of premeda talk (and i've kinda gotten the same vibe from here) that some companies have practice tests that are significantly hardee than others. I've heard that Kaplan has the hardest tests around and that Princeton's are easy? Is there any truth to this?
I hope there's a lot of truth to this, been taking kaplan practice exams and have yet to break 496. Granted I also haven't finished content review either, so that may be playing a role as well.

I don't feel as confident in Behavioral Sci from the Kaplan book. Anyone take any AAMC practice material yet and thought Kap was good enough?

So far the practice packs are easier to me than Kaplan or PR. I am taking the full-length this weekend so I hope it helps me decide if I should keep pushing on or delay.

Just finished all the chapters of the Kaplan books, it feels great! Now it's time for working on my weaknesses and intense practice exams/questions. The anxiety builds as we get closer!

So far the practice packs are easier to me than Kaplan or PR. I am taking the full-length this weekend so I hope it helps me decide if I should keep pushing on or delay.
I'll be taking the Guide questions this weekend. Depending on how tired I feel after that + review, I might do some question packs. Best of luck to both of us!

So for those that have read the April thread...are you going to add/change anything to your studying? For me I'm going to focus a lot more on AA, less on the nitty gritty physics content since there seems to be a very low payoff for spending too much time on that stuff.

So for those that have read the April thread...are you going to add/change anything to your studying? For me I'm going to focus a lot more on AA, less on the nitty gritty physics content since there seems to be a very low payoff for spending too much time on that stuff.
same. I'm also gonna try to read the TPR psych book and Khan Psych and Khan A.A. videos, along with skim the Kaplan Biochem book.. Also reduce the amount of PS TBR passages I'm doing and up the Biochem.. and when doing AAMC 2015 passages, spend a lot of time making sure I understand how to do everything

also gonna try to up the studying to 10-11 hrs per day.. crunch time baby

Last edited:

Pretty much same. Going through AA Khan Vids and Kaplan lecture as we speak. Im relieved that the PS section isnt so bad, that is my worst section. Im also going to go back through Psych again. I've finished the content weeks ago and dont want to get rusty

What else are you guys using to supplement your AA studying?
For my studying materials I have;

1. EK book set for the new mcat- Very little information regarding amino acids and how they react so that's no help.
2. Next step bio/biochem book- amino acid chapter is about 3 pages and describes very briefly the polarity of their chains so that's a good start
3. Old TBR books (from my old mcat prep)- I never really looked into those yet since I was following SN2 and used EK 8th edition to study for bio for the old mcat
4. Kaplan 528- have yet to start this book

For extra practice for AA Im using TBR passages. I feel like those are really good in terms of difficulty and content.