The Official May 30, 2013 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimicurtis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to take the test March 23rd. But, seats filled up faster than I expected in my area...:(. Who else is registered for this date? I guess on the bright side I have more time to prep :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have put off my verbal practice coz i don't want to run out of passages until this test date. Last FL i took i made a 9 (felt like a struggle). Is this a good approach? I feel like i want to steadily start grinding on it from March-May,30th...EK 101, TPR,TPR-H, and AAMC.
Thanks guys.

I have put off my verbal practice coz i don't want to run out of passages until this test date. Last FL i took i made a 9 (felt like a struggle). Is this a good approach? I feel like i want to steadily start grinding on it from March-May,30th...EK 101, TPR,TPR-H, and AAMC.
Thanks guys.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Just make sure you know how much passages you want to do and calculate how long it would take you to do that. Then you will see how long your material will last. I used up the bulk of my VR and have to be scraping to find stuff to do. Don't let it happen to you. But, make sure you really analyze your mistakes so you can improve.

May 30th is gonna come super quick!!! Been doing some light studying (maybe 10 hours a week) but going to start buckling down this weekend and start to hit it pretty hard. Everybody else getting into the swing of things?

Using EK, EK101, and Princeton Review for content and such. Planning on taking all the AAMCs. Everybody think that is enough full lengths? Or should I look to buy some more? I know that Berkeley Review and Gold Standard sell full lengths in sets. Any ideas?

Goodluck guys!

Hey gang. I am taking the MCAT on the 30th as well. I have been doing content review (cocktail of EK, Chad's Videos, class textbooks) for the last few months. I am about to start the 3 month study schedule in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone.

May 30th is gonna come super quick!!! Been doing some light studying (maybe 10 hours a week) but going to start buckling down this weekend and start to hit it pretty hard. Everybody else getting into the swing of things?

Using EK, EK101, and Princeton Review for content and such. Planning on taking all the AAMCs. Everybody think that is enough full lengths? Or should I look to buy some more? I know that Berkeley Review and Gold Standard sell full lengths in sets. Any ideas?

Goodluck guys!

I plan on taking all of the AAMCs as well. I think those should be enough. YMMV.

Goodluck guys!

I think those FL's should be enough. I will be doing a few Kaplan FL's though first.

With my schedule: 2 classes (Physics II and Bio II)...and work...i need all the focus i can get...
Had to cancel a trip to london just so that i can maximize on my 4 days off from work to pull those 10-12hr study shifts...hope it pays off. SDN really keeps me in the loop...and a reminder that this is real.

With my schedule: 2 classes (Physics II and Bio II)...and work...i need all the focus i can get...
Had to cancel a trip to london just so that i can maximize on my 4 days off from work to pull those 10-12hr study shifts...hope it pays off. SDN really keeps me in the loop...and a reminder that this is real.

About how much do you work a week?

I am taking Organic with the beast. 6-8 hours a day for MCAT + whatever is left for orgo.

Good times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking Organic with the beast. 6-8 hours a day for MCAT + whatever is left for orgo.

Good times.

Well, it's good that you have such a solid block of time for MCAT studying. My time really varies, mostly 2-3 during the week a day and 10 on weeks. Where are you in content review?

About how much do you work a week?
40hr work week...non trad here...
so relatively i have 2 hours everyday set aside for MCAT and now planning about 7-10hrs on off days ( relatively 2days off or 3 days between 5 days on at wor)...

Well, it's good that you have such a solid block of time for MCAT studying. My time really varies, mostly 2-3 during the week a day and 10 on weeks. Where are you in content review?

Nearly done. I am using EK Bio for content review. I will use BR (I am a details person) for the main thing. I think having a fresh framework before going in so I can build. I used Chad's videos for physics and gen chem review, but BR will be the main source during the main haul. I am set to begin the 3 month study schedule in 2 weeks.

(I chose the day after my after my birthday to start) haha

so relatively i have 2 hours everyday set aside for MCAT and now planning about 7-10hrs on off days ( relatively 2days off or 3 days between 5 days on at wor)...

I am sort of non-trad...mid 20's. We can do it!

I just signed up as well. I need a deadline to get me dead serious to study. Anyone taking it in the Illinois area?

16-24 hour work week at Mayo Clinic, with 2 VERY easy classes. I took my very first FL AAMC #3 and got a 21... 7's all across. I only tipped some of the information in my Princeton review, so I think I can definitely penetrate a 30 in 3-4 months. There's a lot of stuff that was familiar on these tests, I just need to push through the refresher books and practice my verbal. More or less worried about the physical sciences, so I'm dedicating more time on that. I nailed my OChem and Bio classes so a lot of that has retained.

Probably going for it...was thinking about waiting a year, but the physics/basic bio is about as fresh as it will get and the moldy orgo will have to be shoved back into my brain either way.

40 hour work week nontraditional too. retaking it after taking it 3 years ago... YOLO is right hahaha

I'm with you. My MCAT expired this past cycle and I work a minimum of 40 hrs per week. My wife understands that time commitment and is committed to seeing this through with me.

I ordered the Berkeley Review materials today, so I'm hoping to get started with my review shortly. It's been 3-4 years since my last science class, so I've got some work to do.

Excited to use this as a reference for my own studying progress.

Hello,

Please If anyone is thinking of dropping a TORONTO Mcat seat for this day, pls let me know via PM. I wish I had enough money to obtain the seats at the time I first saw them but hey, what do you do? Nevertheless, if you are dropping the seat, please do kindly let me know anyday, anytime, any month.

Thank you.

Is May 30th late to take MCAT if I want to be an early applicant?

I was told to submit AMCAS without an MCAT score. Only do this if your GPA and extracurriculars/letters of recs are great, and you are fairly positive you can score decently high on the MCAT. Once MCAT scores are released your app will be automatically updated, and you would be an early applicant.

Otherwise a July AMCAS submission (takes ~4 weeks to verify), means you'll be late relative to the June people. They start handing out interviews in August but if you do a July submission you may only get your secondary apps by August.

This is all secondary info i've heard from my advisor and friends.

I've doing the Sn2ed 3/4 month plan (made a variation so I can fit in more full lengths)! Just started content review and so far everything seems smooth besides Physics :(. Surprisingly I'm already pulling 10's on verbal so hopefully that keeps up!

Also, after reading about how you guys have rushed to apply for your seat, now I'm a bit worried cause I haven't registered yet.... I should go check that now....

I've doing the Sn2ed 3/4 month plan (made a variation so I can fit in more full lengths)! Just started content review and so far everything seems smooth besides Physics :(. Surprisingly I'm already pulling 10's on verbal so hopefully that keeps up!

Also, after reading about how you guys have rushed to apply for your seat, now I'm a bit worried cause I haven't registered yet.... I should go check that now....

Yes, you should register now!

So, where is everybody in their studying? I'm just beginning today. I'm waiting for my books to arrive so I'm wikipedia'ing two topics everyday. I'm also listening to audio osmosis. I'd like to keep a benchmark with everyone so I don't fall behind.

I'll be using TBR and EK, I also have "The Cell" that I'll be using to review forgotten biology topics. I don't have my Campbell's book anymore, sadly.

So, where is everybody in their studying? I'm just beginning today. I'm waiting for my books to arrive so I'm wikipedia'ing two topics everyday. I'm also listening to audio osmosis. I'd like to keep a benchmark with everyone so I don't fall behind.

I'll be using TBR and EK, I also have "The Cell" that I'll be using to review forgotten biology topics. I don't have my Campbell's book anymore, sadly.

I try to wake up at 7am every morning and do some passages from TPRHL and BR, since its the only time I have for studying on weekdays.

I try to wake up at 7am every morning and do some passages from TPRHL and BR, since its the only time I have for studying on weekdays.

Thanks for the reply. I hit cell cycle, mitosis, replication and now I'm moving into the normalized cell (quiescent or senescent state), including organelles, energy production, and maintenance.

Hey guys,

I just signed up. I am using TBR for my studying, and I am a nontraditional applicant. Always wanted to be a doctor but gave up after undergraduate cause of 3 classes that sabotaged my GPA lol. Also, was worried a lot about the medical school debt I will be taking on after med school. Then I recently decided, that those three classes ain't stopping me from a high MCAT! Currently finishing up my last quarter as a graduate student in the nutritional sciences (ending in March). Then teaching ESL for all of April, then taking the MCAT :)

I am starting my studying today lol.

Hey guys! Just registered for this date. This is my second time around- I did horribly last time :/ Switching up my study strategy and hitting this MCAT hard again! using TBR for prep

Good luck everyone!

My studying has not been the most organized lately due to classes and work. I am 65% done with my content review (only because I was originally supposed to take it in March) and have been doing some practice after I finish each chapter from TPRH. I should be done with content at the end of this month. I feel like a lot of my studying is not as good as it should be and working to eliminate weaknesses in March, while reviewing concepts). April and May I will be taking practice tests and reviewing them.

Hey guys,

I just signed up. I am using TBR for my studying, and I am a nontraditional applicant. Always wanted to be a doctor but gave up after undergraduate cause of 3 classes that sabotaged my GPA lol. Also, was worried a lot about the medical school debt I will be taking on after med school. Then I recently decided, that those three classes ain't stopping me from a high MCAT! Currently finishing up my last quarter as a graduate student in the nutritional sciences (ending in March). Then teaching ESL for all of April, then taking the MCAT :)

I am starting my studying today lol.

Good luck to you, let us no how it is progressing!

Yes, you should register now!

Ugh, I might be screwed LOL.

I live in Long Island, NY and for some reason ALL the centers in Long Island and nearby Queens are completely booked. The closest ones are in Manhattan/Brooklyn which will be tough, especially for an 8 am class.

Strangely enough, most of the earlier dates in May (even May 23rd) are completely open, no issues.

Why do you think this is so? Is it because May 30th is approximately the first date after spring semester ends but early enough so that one can get their MCATs on time for quick application submission? Perhaps because its such a sought-out date, the overachievers already registered (like you guys :p), thus the curve will be bad? Perhaps I'm overthinking this lmao.

So idk what to do:
1) Try to find a friend's house I can stay in the night before in Brooklyn
2) Move my test back one week to May 23rd (which would make my studying schedule a lil tighter/tougher)

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

I'm in for May 30th also. Finishing up Bio2, Orgo 2 and biochem on May 2nd.. 1 month to brush up on Physics and Verbal and then the big day. Applying DO as soon as they open.

YOOO!

After confirming that taking MCAT in May will not prevent me from being an early applicant with my adviser, I decided to change to this date..

Lets do this!
Now I can change my schedule to take more than 10 practice exams. SWEET.

Ugh, I might be screwed LOL.

I live in Long Island, NY and for some reason ALL the centers in Long Island and nearby Queens are completely booked. The closest ones are in Manhattan/Brooklyn which will be tough, especially for an 8 am class.

Strangely enough, most of the earlier dates in May (even May 23rd) are completely open, no issues.

Why do you think this is so? Is it because May 30th is approximately the first date after spring semester ends but early enough so that one can get their MCATs on time for quick application submission? Perhaps because its such a sought-out date, the overachievers already registered (like you guys :p), thus the curve will be bad? Perhaps I'm overthinking this lmao.

So idk what to do:
1) Try to find a friend's house I can stay in the night before in Brooklyn
2) Move my test back one week to May 23rd (which would make my studying schedule a lil tighter/tougher)

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Hmm, it depends, how close are you with that friend and how comfortable are you with sleeping over at people's homes. Will it be an easy, calm trip for you. If yes, I would stay with May 30, if not I would move to May 23. But, if you think your gonna get behind because of a busy schedule, I would say May 30.

I finally have a day where I can devote a significant amount of time. I'm going through the first two chapters of EK bio, gen chem, chem and physics.

Also, I'm making flash cards so I can keep myself fresh on concepts and equations.

I hope everyone is further along than I am, I feel like I've gotten off to a slow start.

I finally have a day where I can devote a significant amount of time. I'm going through the first two chapters of EK bio, gen chem, chem and physics.

Also, I'm making flash cards so I can keep myself fresh on concepts and equations.

I hope everyone is further along than I am, I feel like I've gotten off to a slow start.

Woe two chapters for each subject in one day, that's a lot! How did it turn out? Yeah, the flashcards are a good idea.

Not done yet, my wife and I had some family things to attend but I'm about to finish another chapter. This was just a quick read of the subjects, I'll do a more detailed read if I score poorly on the chapter questions.

I'll quickly admit that plan was overly ambitious, still, I was able to accomplish a fair amount.

I have a major Organic Chem test on Tuesday so I had to postpone my start date until Tuesday evening. TBR Physics Chapter 1 + 1/3 here we come.

I just signed up as well. I need a deadline to get me dead serious to study. Anyone taking it in the Illinois area?
Illinois it is for me too...signed up...i will be in lombard or some sorts...gotta read the address again i guess.

Hey guys,

Just signed up for the 5/30 in my area.

Started studying about a month ago. I know that seems like a long time to be preparing but i am also taking a full course load and have every day life to deal with as well (work, fam, etc.)

Sched:

I am following the EK "home study" plan drafted on their website with a few of my own revisions.. (no audio osmosis). Bought all the content review books, 1001 books, and mini mcat book. I am studying every night for ~2hrs, with the exception of nights before major exams. The two hour increments seem to help me keep my focus and not get bored with any of the material... physics for example:thumbdown:

Also, every-other Sunday I have been taking an AAMC prac exam. Starting to see some true improvements which is motivating. Very happy there is no writing section.

Good luck to all of you-- -if anyone has any suggestions for "post-semester" testers as to studying allocation it would be a huge help!!

Hey guys,

Just signed up for the 5/30 in my area.

Started studying about a month ago. I know that seems like a long time to be preparing but i am also taking a full course load and have every day life to deal with as well (work, fam, etc.)

Sched:

I am following the EK "home study" plan drafted on their website with a few of my own revisions.. (no audio osmosis). Bought all the content review books, 1001 books, and mini mcat book. I am studying every night for ~2hrs, with the exception of nights before major exams. The two hour increments seem to help me keep my focus and not get bored with any of the material... physics for example:thumbdown:

Also, every-other Sunday I have been taking an AAMC prac exam. Starting to see some true improvements which is motivating. Very happy there is no writing section.

Good luck to all of you-- -if anyone has any suggestions for "post-semester" testers as to studying allocation it would be a huge help!!

What exactly do you mean by "Post semester" takers, people that take the exam just after finishing the semester? Hope I don't come of as slow...:oops:

Hi,

Glad to find this group to share thoughts, concerns, tips/advice, little triumphs, etc. I am also a non-trad mid twenties applicant, graduated December and I work full time in a lab. It is really great to see that I am not the only person who is trying to do the SN2ed 3 month schedule. I must admit that I am a little concerned as I am about to start my first day of the schedule and from what I have read it seems like most of you have been doing content review for a few weeks to months before starting the study schedule.

I plan on devoting 4-5 hours on weekdays and about 8-10hrs on weekends. I have just been doing non-related reading to get me prepared for verbal and have been going over some of my old notes for BS & PS, but nothing too in-depth.

I was wondering what other people's study schedules look like, I assume not everyone is doing the 3 month plan and I was wondering how long most people are devoting per day to studying, if for nothing else, just to get a good feel for what kind of time might be considered "average".

Best of luck to all my fellow test takers and look forward to chatting and discussing the emotional roller-coaster that is studying for this most ferocious of felines.