The Official May 30, 2013 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimicurtis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to take the test March 23rd. But, seats filled up faster than I expected in my area...:(. Who else is registered for this date? I guess on the bright side I have more time to prep :)

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly do you mean by "Post semester" takers, people that take the exam just after finishing the semester? Hope I don't come of as slow...:oops:
Yep, exactly... it was my best attempt to give it some annotation without too much thought involved... But I obviously got the point across!

Heyy Everyone!

Just signed up for this date. Pushed back from 4/4.. I started in December but I'm just not where I want to be right now for taking it in a month. Plus I have a heavy schedule + work + research, etc etc. :scared: too much going on. I feel a lot better since I have a few more months to really see more of a marked improvement.

Working with EK, TBR and some Kaplan.. about 2 hrs/day + more on weekends..

I hear the later AAMC exams are more representative and the early ones are not as difficult.. is this true? Will my scores on the earlier exams (3-6) be representative of what you perform on the later ones?? (Sorry I don't know if anyone has addressed this, I just skimmed the thread)

Nearly done. I am using EK Bio for content review. I will use BR (I am a details person) for the main thing. I think having a fresh framework before going in so I can build. I used Chad's videos for physics and gen chem review, but BR will be the main source during the main haul. I am set to begin the 3 month study schedule in 2 weeks.

(I chose the day after my after my birthday to start) haha

I was wondering what you meant by Chad's videos. Are they online? If so, I would be really thankful if you could put up a link

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, exactly... it was my best attempt to give it some annotation without too much thought involved... But I obviously got the point across!

Well, studying post semester is ideal. I mean, you should have much more time to put in without the burden of classes.

Heyy Everyone!

Just signed up for this date. Pushed back from 4/4.. I started in December but I'm just not where I want to be right now for taking it in a month. Plus I have a heavy schedule + work + research, etc etc. :scared: too much going on. I feel a lot better since I have a few more months to really see more of a marked improvement.

Working with EK, TBR and some Kaplan.. about 2 hrs/day + more on weekends..

I hear the later AAMC exams are more representative and the early ones are not as difficult.. is this true? Will my scores on the earlier exams (3-6) be representative of what you perform on the later ones?? (Sorry I don't know if anyone has addressed this, I just skimmed the thread)

Yes, it has been said by many individuals that the later exams are in fact more representative of the current test. It is difficult to say whether or not your scores will increase, this depends on the depth and breadth of your preparation. I hope that it will, certainly but it will only come with much practice. Some peoples scores increase between the tests (this is more so due to the fact that they have gotten practice from taking the test and reviewing their mistakes). Good luck.

Do you guys think this test date is reasonable for someone having started only a week ago? I'm a non trad as well, with a 40-hour schedule so it hasn't really been easy, but I'm trying to make it work. It has to be done! Sucks that the next date to take it is late June...

We are at our 3 month window ladies and gents +- a few days.... Stuff is getting real.

For those about to rock...we salute you

Do you guys think this test date is reasonable for someone having started only a week ago? I'm a non trad as well, with a 40-hour schedule so it hasn't really been easy, but I'm trying to make it work. It has to be done! Sucks that the next date to take it is late June...

Working 40 hours is going to be extremely tough. You need to be putting in anywhere from 4-6 hours a day total depending on where you are on the material. I just started the 3 month schedule a few days ago. I am about to do the part of the schedule where you re-read chapters, do EK 1001 questions, and take EK Bio 30 minute. You are not too far behind, but I do not envy your 40 hr work week.

Working 40 hours is going to be extremely tough. You need to be putting in anywhere from 4-6 hours a day total depending on where you are on the material. I just started the 3 month schedule a few days ago. I am about to do the part of the schedule where you re-read chapters, do EK 1001 questions, and take EK Bio 30 minute. You are not too far behind, but I do not envy your 40 hr work week.

I agree, as I am trying to manage to squeeze out a few more hours in the day, working 40 hours a week is going to be an uphill battle. I started the 3 Month schedule on Monday and I have already fallen behind simply because of not having enough time in the day. I am considering doing the review of the previous day's passages excluding the verbal passages the review for those isn't as time consuming) on Saturdays while I am re-reading that weeks chapters and taking the EK1001 problems.

Curious if anyone else who works 35-40 hrs a week has any other suggestions? I take about 2.5-3.5 hours to read the chapters thoroughly and then an additional 1-2 hrs to do the timed passages for that chapter. With commuting to and from work and making dinner and taking care of other essentials I am finishing around 12AM so needless to say I have fallen behind because I just don't seem to have enough time.

If anyone else is running into this problem while working full time I would love to hear about any time management and schedule modifications you might be implementing.

I agree, as I am trying to manage to squeeze out a few more hours in the day, working 40 hours a week is going to be an uphill battle. I started the 3 Month schedule on Monday and I have already fallen behind simply because of not having enough time in the day. I am considering doing the review of the previous day's passages excluding the verbal passages the review for those isn't as time consuming) on Saturdays while I am re-reading that weeks chapters and taking the EK1001 problems.

Curious if anyone else who works 35-40 hrs a week has any other suggestions? I take about 2.5-3.5 hours to read the chapters thoroughly and then an additional 1-2 hrs to do the timed passages for that chapter. With commuting to and from work and making dinner and taking care of other essentials I am finishing around 12AM so needless to say I have fallen behind because I just don't seem to have enough time.

If anyone else is running into this problem while working full time I would love to hear about any time management and schedule modifications you might be implementing.

I have a family and a job. The SN2ed schedule is extremely helpful but even he stated that it's not necessarily for people like us. Therefore, I modified it drastically, extending the time and molding the preparation around my current obligations since those can't be neglected while I pursue this dream. Be mindful not to set unrealistic goals; it can get discouraging. Make some changes and see what works for YOU.

No doubt, that 3 month countdown is already here. Test day will be here before we know it though. Hope everyone is cruising through this garbage and nailing it down ;)

No doubt, that 3 month countdown is already here. Test day will be here before we know it though. Hope everyone is cruising through this garbage and nailing it down ;)

A little BR Bio tonight. I decided to be nuts and absorb the 1000 facts per page. I mixed in 3 passages. It's hard to adhere to the 3 month schedule!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I have registered for the April 27th date however, lately I have been thinking of postponing to this date. I just feel that I want have enough time to get through all the content review for the April test date and have taking all the practice exams needed to do well. I am a retake so I have to do good on this MCAT because I received a really low score the first time I took the exam. I am currently using Sned MCAT schedule however I also modified it a lot because it is rather complex and dense. I am using EK for both orgo and Bio. BR physics and Gen.Chem are awesome so I said I would stick it out with them. I have all the 1001's for each section but lately I feel that my prep has taken a stand still and I am not really going anyway in terms of absorbing the material. Adding my class schedule into this doesn't make things that much great either. Today I did Physics and when get home tonight from class I will do my 3 verbals. I hope your studying is going better than mines. It has just been really stressful the past couple of weeks with exams but hopefully things will pick back up. Sorry for the book I just wanted to share where my studying is at.

I have a family and a job. The SN2ed schedule is extremely helpful but even he stated that it's not necessarily for people like us. Therefore, I modified it drastically, extending the time and molding the preparation around my current obligations since those can't be neglected while I pursue this dream. Be mindful not to set unrealistic goals; it can get discouraging. Make some changes and see what works for YOU.

I am having the same problem with the SN2ed schedule, so for me I just had to switch out the Bio and Orgo books for EK and I feel that it explains the material in the same way just with out all the unnecessary details. I am also thinking about just finish a subject up at a time instead of mixing it up because I find when I do that it is harder to remember what I learned and I find myself relearning everything what I did a week ago which is just pointless to me. I will let you know how it goes because I will doing this this weekend and next week to see if I like it and if it works for me.

Finally got to the point where I'm getting a consistent schedule. Still doing content review, I'm hoping to finish my initial chapters with maybe a couple FL's thrown in about 45 days before the test (aka before my finals), then in the 45 days before the test do as many full lengths and review them as I can, and cover anything that I missed.

Using Kaplan's online program and I bought EK content review books but may only get a chance to just do 101. I'm worried about spending too much time on content review and not enough on practice tests/problems, but I don't want to skimp out on content review.

I am also in for May 30th, but i am about 5 days behind in SDN 3 month schedule. I am trying to catch up by spending weekends doing 2 lessons instead! The anxiety is what is getting to me.

How's is it going with everyone's studying? My orgo and verbal are coming awesomely, bio and gen chem not too bad, but physics? HORRIFIC.

Im doing ok.
At least, I am getting above 10 on avg on all science sections.
Verbal is THE problem for me..

Verbal used to be terrible for me but I learned how to speed read using acceleread (iphone app) and I try to read 2 articles from the economist before I go sleep(speed reading) and it has DRAMATICALLY brought my scores up. I average around 80-90% on my practices, whereas before I was averaging 30-40%. Try it. =] This guy also does the same thing...

http://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/19f1yy/i_scored_15_on_mcat_verbal_twice_amaa/

Woe, I am gonna try the speed reading app. I'm about 80% done with content but I have major physics weaknesses my other sciences aren't so hot either. Things have been crazy with class and research. I will start taking FL's in a week so I'll see my score then.

Woe, I am gonna try the speed reading app. I'm about 80% done with content but I have major physics weaknesses my other sciences aren't so hot either. Things have been crazy with class and research. I will start taking FL's in a week so I'll see my score then.

I would only maybe take one FL. Don't waste a bunch of FL if your content is still weak. You are wayyyy ahead of me on content review.

Edit: Speeling

I'm not really following Sn2d plan. I am borrowing from his methods, like doing content review then passages. But, other than that, I have flashcards that I made myself.

Some of those chapters are really long...

They are...

I think I will be taking a practice test Monday. I'm so happy I am on spring break! Some of my friends are in Miami, while I'm here studying MCAT and working on my senior thesis...

I'm following the last half of the SN2D plan, taking the AAMC practice tests the month leading up to the actual thing. I plan on finishing up content review by the end of March, fine tuning and going over everything in April, then getting into a heavy rhythm towards the end of May with the practice exams.

I'm using TPR and EK for Verbal. In April I plan on going through all the subjects the AAMC lines out, and if one is unfamiliar or one wasn't explained clearly, I'll go over it and bank it in the memory then.

Is anyone following Sn2ed's plan here? Where are you at? I am already falling behind =[

I'm following his plan, but I too, have fallen completely behind! I'm suppose to be on week 9 yet I'm just staring week 4! Yikes! I work +40 hrs a week & just found it to be too much trying to get everything done in one day when I could only devote like 5 hours. Then on my off days, I was just too tired to do anything & slept all day (I work nights 7p-7a). I finally feel like I've found a groove but I'm pushing my test date back now. There's no way I could be ready by May 30th. Good luck to you.

I'm following his plan, but I too, have fallen completely behind! I'm suppose to be on week 9 yet I'm just staring week 4! Yikes! I work +40 hrs a week & just found it to be too much trying to get everything done in one day when I could only devote like 5 hours. Then on my off days, I was just too tired to do anything & slept all day (I work nights 7p-7a). I finally feel like I've found a groove but I'm pushing my test date back now. There's no way I could be ready by May 30th. Good luck to you.
Chloec, I can definitely relate to everything you just wrote. I work 40 hours, although normal business hours, and I still cannot find the time or energy to study on the weekdays or weekends. I know it must be done, and have considered pushing back the test date to June--or perhaps even later this year,as I have realized that it is probably best to take this test once, do well, and never have to see it again. To do this, it would be best to take it in your best possible state (when everything has been studied and you feel like you put in the time and energy necessary to do well without having forcefully rushed or studied anything). How have you discerned learning the material and having it sink in versus rushing through the material haphazardly? A part of me knows that I can do this, but it really is hard for those who are working full time. My advice for those still in school is to take it while you're in school, during which I believe I had more time than I do now.

Any people have thoughts on how bad it would be to wait another year and apply next cycle? I graduated last year, and would thus be taking THREE (-__-'') gap years off before I ideally matriculate. I find this whole 2-year process to apply absolutely annoying and frustratingly long.

About 3 chapters left for each subject before I am done with content review..
Started slacking off after the first exam period at college.. Grr....
My initial passion is gone...

Less than two months. Hope its all going well! I'm done with content review. I'm gonna go voer my notes and blow through the EK 101 Verbal book, then start rolling with my MCAT practice tests in May leading up the the real deal.

so I'm deciding b/w this test date or the May 23rd one...

Is it safe to say this test date isn't too late to be competitive in the cycle?

ALMOST done with TBR content review, still have 1/2 chapters left. I intend to finish about 1 or two weeks before doing the last 1/3 of the passage. I'm getting so tired and exhausted for the last few days doing these things.

ALMOST done with TBR content review, still have 1/2 chapters left. I intend to finish about 1 or two weeks before doing the last 1/3 of the passage. I'm getting so tired and exhausted for the last few days doing these things.

I'm in the same spot as you! Likely will finish in 1.5 weeks and oh man am I excited to move onto the second phase of studying to see if all this content review paid off!!

I am taking the MCAT on May 30th as well :). I am a slacker though and haven't been nearly as devoted to studying as everyone else :(. Good luck everyone :).

Hi guys,

I have been studying for a while now for this test date too! But have really been using the EK materials, which include the books, the 1001 questions for every subject, the audio files and the AMCAS practice exams and TBR practice exams. I have taken 14 exams. Some of which have actually stimulated the test environment.

Should consider changing my test date?:scared::scared::scared:

Hi guys,

I have been studying for a while now for this test date too! But have really been using the EK materials, which include the books, the 1001 questions for every subject, the audio files and the AMCAS practice exams and TBR practice exams. I have taken 14 exams. Some of which have actually stimulated the test environment.

Should consider changing my test date?:scared::scared::scared:
Depends if you are reaching your target scores on practice exams.

Hey everybody,

I am scheduled to take the 5/30 exam but I am beginning to think that I am going to reschedule for the 6/20 one. I am about 1 week from being done with all of my content review which I spent a lot of time on.

If I don't reschedule I would only have about 2-3 weeks to take full lengths, although I would be able to spend all hours taking a full length, going over it the next day, and reviewing some of the weaknesses. In that case I would have take a full length every other day or so.

Anyone have advice as to whether I should stick with 5/30 or reschedule for 6/20?

I have taken 3 full lengths so far, AAMC 3 (9, 9, 10), AAMC 4 (10, 9, 10), and AAMC 5 (9, 9, 11). I have the rest of the AAMC full lengths (4 or 5 more) and will probably try to buy a couple more from somewhere. Anybody have suggestions as to what extra full lengths I should purchase?

Thanks everyone!

Howdy.

Unfortunately had to reschedule to 5/30 from the 5/11 date. This one's set in stone. The only way I'm going to reschedule from 5/30 is if I lose both of my arms before the test date.

Anyway, I've taken aamc 3 & 4 so far, with scores of:

AAMC 3: 9/7/7 - 23
AAMC 4: 10/9/10 - 29

Those were only taken a few weeks apart. I knew 3 was a fluke, as that was what I scored on my diagnostic. I have finals next week, so I'm currently juggling that. Taking the rest of the tests on the following dates:

AAMC 5: 5/10
AAMC 10: 5/15
AAMC 11: 5/18
AAMC 7: 5/21
AAMC 9: 5/24
AAMC 8: 5/27

Aiming for mid to low 30's, and I truly think I can hit it. Last test I was 1 Q away from 11 in each BS and PS, and I certainly have some holes to fill. My last final is 5/15, then I'm going full out on an MCAT aggressive strike. Really want this test to be the last MCAT I ever take.

See you around, guys.

Hey everybody,

I am scheduled to take the 5/30 exam but I am beginning to think that I am going to reschedule for the 6/20 one. I am about 1 week from being done with all of my content review which I spent a lot of time on.

If I don't reschedule I would only have about 2-3 weeks to take full lengths, although I would be able to spend all hours taking a full length, going over it the next day, and reviewing some of the weaknesses. In that case I would have take a full length every other day or so.

Anyone have advice as to whether I should stick with 5/30 or reschedule for 6/20?

I have taken 3 full lengths so far, AAMC 3 (9, 9, 10), AAMC 4 (10, 9, 10), and AAMC 5 (9, 9, 11). I have the rest of the AAMC full lengths (4 or 5 more) and will probably try to buy a couple more from somewhere. Anybody have suggestions as to what extra full lengths I should purchase?

Thanks everyone!

What's your goal score? Your aamc scores are pretty damn good. I think 3+ solid weeks is plenty of time to fill gaps.

I have finished content review and right now I am doing AAMC tests...
#3 37
#4 35
#5 35
#7 36
I am constantly running out of time in verbal and have to skip 2 or 3 questions. I'm trying to focus on that now and go lightly over content review for now and see if my score improves. I guess that I have more free time before the test than I expected.