*The Official MCAT January 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the new test dates are out, I figured I'd start a thread for all the January 2018 test-takers prepping for (and most definitely, slaying) this beast! ;) This is a retake for me, but I'm aiming high! Who else is taking it in January?

I'm sure that sharing insights and support on SDN will make this journey all the more worth it. I have a feeling 2018 is off to a great start! Good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in our favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
3ish months later. Still not ready with my PS.

I wrote a first (bad) draft. I’d rather study for the MCAT again than write this. It’s super stressful and different than anything else I’ve ever had to do. And I’m slowly discovering to write a good one you need to “toot your own horn” and write like an ego maniac.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My app is "ready for review". Submitted June 3rd. Now time to work on secondaries!

I'm so glad I took the MCAT in January and didn't have to worry about it while writing essays and such for the primary app.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so glad I took the MCAT in January and didn't have to worry about it while writing essays and such for the primary app.
No kidding. I have friends who are studying for a summer MCAT, working part-time, and filling out their AMCAS; they are essentially nervous wrecks.

My app is "ready for review". Submitted June 3rd. Now time to work on secondaries!
My transcripts took a while to get in so I was only marked ready for review two days ago, hopefully my app is verified early July.

I have two secondaries really polished off and ready to go. How many schools did you apply to? PM me if you want to exchange secondaries

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Got 3 secondaries today so far!

Sidney Kimmel

Stony brook

Saint Louis

+1 for Saint Louis. I also received West Virginia. I'M SO HYPED UP RIGHT NOW!

Are you all adding anything for SLUH's additional comments section? I'm not sure if it is expected for me to talk about what I can bring to the class or "why SLUH" or if those essays would be helpful to my application

Are you all adding anything for SLUH's additional comments section? I'm not sure if it is expected for me to talk about what I can bring to the class or "why SLUH" or if those essays would be helpful to my application

I'm probably also going to talk about my upward GPA trend. I can't think of anything else to say... maybe some of the other secondary prompts will make a good "additional comments" essay.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm probably also going to talk about my upward GPA trend. I can't think of anything else to say... maybe some of the other secondary prompts will make a good "additional comments" essay.

Actually, I’ll talk about the two W’s I received my sophomore year, and some of my other hobbies that I didn’t mention in the activities section as well. I’m basically going to just list some neat stuff about myself briefly.

Question for you fine folk about the obstacle secondary prompt we'll all inevitably encounter. I'm a privileged, white male who hasn't had any extreme hardships. I'm torn between two options.

1) This summer I have been working and volunteering a lot. Two nights a week have to go to a 3+ hour class to become a fire fighter which I have to drive 30 minutes each way to go. I often don't get home until 11:00 or later, and have to go to work the next morning. I suppose this could be an obstacle. I was super nervous for the practical portion of the final, but studied, and acted as the peer-appointed leader for the practical section, faked the confidence, gave orders which utilized myself for labor as well and we passed. Honestly this option feels like whining. And the only lessons I learned here is to fake it until you make it, and keep going to class even when you're tired and don't feel like it. This could be a better, more current leadership prompt.

2) I've encountered burnout as an undergrad, learned to take care of myself when you feel like this; when and how to relax and recharge. I'll elaborate more than this in the essay, but that's the gist. I used this during MCAT studying to recognize early signs of burnout, and recharged efficiently. I'll use this in medical school as well, which is why I'm favoring this option.

So I think I learned more from #2 and I am leaning towards it, but #1 is more unique, even though I feel like it's whining. I was just wondering what you fine folks thing about it. I could probably post elsewhere, but you all seem pretty consistent in responding/posting, so I figured I'd ask.

Question for you fine folk about the obstacle secondary prompt we'll all inevitably encounter. I'm a privileged, white male who hasn't had any extreme hardships. I'm torn between two options.

1) This summer I have been working and volunteering a lot. Two nights a week have to go to a 3+ hour class to become a fire fighter which I have to drive 30 minutes each way to go. I often don't get home until 11:00 or later, and have to go to work the next morning. I suppose this could be an obstacle. I was super nervous for the practical portion of the final, but studied, and acted as the peer-appointed leader for the practical section, faked the confidence, gave orders which utilized myself for labor as well and we passed. Honestly this option feels like whining. And the only lessons I learned here is to fake it until you make it, and keep going to class even when you're tired and don't feel like it. This could be a better, more current leadership prompt.

2) I've encountered burnout as an undergrad, learned to take care of myself when you feel like this; when and how to relax and recharge. I'll elaborate more than this in the essay, but that's the gist. I used this during MCAT studying to recognize early signs of burnout, and recharged efficiently. I'll use this in medical school as well, which is why I'm favoring this option.

So I think I learned more from #2 and I am leaning towards it, but #1 is more unique, even though I feel like it's whining. I was just wondering what you fine folks thing about it. I could probably post elsewhere, but you all seem pretty consistent in responding/posting, so I figured I'd ask.

I always hear people say to avoid talking about school/MCAT for this essay (I forget which school says this, but one in particular explicitly asked not to do this). I think talking about juggling a lot of work at once could be a fine essay as long as you have something meaningful to say about what you learned/how you grew from it.

I think #2 would be the better option because burn-out is a very significant problem with physicians today. Just make sure to emphasize that the lessons you learned are 100% applicable to future cases of burn-out that you may have.

I think #2 would be the better option because burn-out is a very significant problem with physicians today. Just make sure to emphasize that the lessons you learned are 100% applicable to future cases of burn-out that you may have.

I always hear people say to avoid talking about school/MCAT for this essay (I forget which school says this, but one in particular explicitly asked not to do this). I think talking about juggling a lot of work at once could be a fine essay as long as you have something meaningful to say about what you learned/how you grew from it.

Just had a fantastic idea. Talk about burnout, and how I avoided it while juggling all the stuff this summer. Boom.

This is how I'm feeling about this application cycle.

giphy.gif

What's everyone's top choices right now? Mine is the College Program at Case Western. Not that I have any chance of getting accepted there, but it doesn't hurt to have dreams :happy:

This is how I'm feeling about this application cycle.

giphy.gif

LD is my guy

What's everyone's top choices right now? Mine is the College Program at Case Western. Not that I have any chance of getting accepted there, but it doesn't hurt to have dreams :happy:

PRIME-US at UCSF would be the dream. PRIME-US at UCLA would be dope too, or U Washington.

Anyone thinking about adding more schools? I am almost done with secondaries and thought about adding a few more but that might be crazy. I sent my primary to 25

How's everyone doing? Feels like yesterday we were worrying about the MCAT. It never stops!

PM me if y'all wanna talk about the process!

Anyone thinking about adding more schools? I am almost done with secondaries and thought about adding a few more but that might be crazy. I sent my primary to 25
Yes, I am planning on adding more MD schools once I get paid on Friday. I also need to start looking into applying to DO schools.

Hoping for any interview invites at all lol - I know its crazy to be worried so early but I am (so now I'm about to find a new hobby or three to keep me busy esp. since my semester is full of easy-ish classes)

I ahve to admit I've been pleasantly suprised so far. You've got a couple already yourself so congratulations right back at ya!
Yeah! I'm pretty excited, I've scheduled them as early as possible: September 12th and 20th. Maybe if they like me enough I'll get an acceptance with less turn around? Don't know if it works like that, but I figured I'd rather do the interviews sooner than later with the chance that that's the case.

Yeah! I'm pretty excited, I've scheduled them as early as possible: September 12th and 20th. Maybe if they like me enough I'll get an acceptance with less turn around? Don't know if it works like that, but I figured I'd rather do the interviews sooner than later with the chance that that's the case.
I would assume that's the case but I can only speculate. I've got two in September as well, how are you preparing?

I would assume that's the case but I can only speculate. I've got two in September as well, how are you preparing?

I'm continuing to practice keeping myself calm when I think about the interviews. I did this during the MCAT when I'd have hard passages, and I know I'm going to need it when I get some tough-probing questions in the interviews.

I'm watching a few videos of sample MMI's and trying to reiterate the systematic process you have to have for a good, thoughtful response.

Mainly I'm going to research each school I have an interview at for the "Why our school?" we are guaranteed to get and the "Why medicine?" question. I'm not pre-writing essays for these, because I don't want to sound like a robot reciting a script. Instead I'll make a bullet point list and elaborate where I can, kind of improvise, but practice my improvisation... if that oxymoron makes any sense.

What about you?

Dang @smileyfacegirl27 you are killing it with your 4 II's! @Sheiko with 3 too!
Thank you and Congrats to you too!!!
I was definitely very surprised and I'm currently very nervous for the first one that is next Friday :eek: But I'm hoping that by preparing a little more I'll feel a lot better about it since I've already looked up the school pretty extensively and have good reasons to why I want to go there and why medicine :)

Thank you and Congrats to you too!!!
I was definitely very surprised and I'm currently very nervous for the first one that is next Friday :eek: But I'm hoping that by preparing a little more I'll feel a lot better about it since I've already looked up the school pretty extensively and have good reasons to why I want to go there and why medicine :)
Oh man! Next Friday! I'm honestly quite jealous of how early it is. I'm sure you'll kill it.

Oh man! Next Friday! I'm honestly quite jealous of how early it is. I'm sure you'll kill it.
Thank you, I'll have to keep y'all updated if anything happens haha!! And I actually had the option to have one of them scheduled for the 24th (yikes I know) but since that was the first week of classes and I had some mandatory workshop to attend I pushed it off, but that would have been insanely early

Hey my January folks! How is everyone's cycle going? Feels like just yesterday I hate my life studying for the MCAT.

Pretty good! I'm looking into some questions to ask during an interview. So far it seems like asking about the rotations during 3rd year is a pretty good thing to ask and know about. How about you?

Pretty good! I'm looking into some questions to ask during an interview. So far it seems like asking about the rotations during 3rd year is a pretty good thing to ask and know about. How about you?
Not too bad here as well. I would probably add how is support for students? Curriculum (P/F)? Step 1 support?

Man, preparing for interviews is nerve wracking.

Don't know if you guys remember me or not, but ended up re-taking the MCAT and did significantly better. and so far, i got 2 II this cycle!!!!!! Very blessed :) also such a humbling experience

Last edited:
Y'all I was complete so late :arghh: this waiting is awful. Like waiting for our scores all over again. How are you all passing the time?

I fully understand that based on my cycle tracker, things are going amazing - however I am stressed out of my mind trying to make up missing class and work so much. I work two jobs for a total of 25 hrs a week and it's becoming harder and harder to reschedule work around going out of town and my classes. I am out of town every single weekend for 10 straight weeks which is making it really hard to keep up on my coursework and/or hang out with anybody ever so I feel like I keep telling everyone I know that I'm way too busy to see them which really sucks. I never thought I would be so so incredibly busy this semester so I'm just trying to hold it together lol

I fully understand that based on my cycle tracker, things are going amazing - however I am stressed out of my mind trying to make up missing class and work so much. I work two jobs for a total of 25 hrs a week and it's becoming harder and harder to reschedule work around going out of town and my classes. I am out of town every single weekend for 10 straight weeks which is making it really hard to keep up on my coursework and/or hang out with anybody ever so I feel like I keep telling everyone I know that I'm way too busy to see them which really sucks. I never thought I would be so so incredibly busy this semester so I'm just trying to hold it together lol
You got this, I'm sure you're doing awesome! It definitely sounds tough, but just realize, with all these early interviews you could get an early acceptance and cancel all the interviews after that!

It feels like the MCAT again, waiting for October 15th so they can announce acceptances. Even then, there's no guarantee you'll hear that day. I can't stand this anxiety inducing process.

How're you all feeling?

My Case interview felt great so I'm excited to hear back from them - they said the adcom will be meeting to discuss our interview cohort next Monday so I should hear sonething on/around October 15th. Got a few other interviews lined up before then to keep me busy though. What schools are you waiting to hear from?
It feels like the MCAT again, waiting for October 15th so they can announce acceptances. Even then, there's no guarantee you'll hear that day. I can't stand this anxiety inducing process.

How're you all feeling?

My Case interview felt great so I'm excited to hear back from them - they said the adcom will be meeting to discuss our interview cohort next Monday so I should hear sonething on/around October 15th. Got a few other interviews lined up before then to keep me busy though. What schools are you waiting to hear from?

By October 15th, I'll have 3 state schools I applied to done. So Upstate (9/12), Stony Brook (9/20), and Buffalo (10/3). They're my top 3 so I'm super happy about getting them done.

What schools have you done the interviews for as of now?

Last edited: