*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
510 - 125 C/P, 128 CARS, 127 B/B, 130 P/S

It's not the overall score that I'm worried about as much as that C/P score. Considering my 4-5 absolute lucky guesses, that C/P score might really be a 123-124 on test day. That shows me that a) I can't really do calculations under pressure yet, b) I don't know any organic and guess on these questions, c) I don't know my metabolism. If test day presents no organic or heavy biochem, I'm golden but what if it doesn't??

I scored a similar FL range last cycle and on real test day, I was anxious because I didn't know my stuff well and organic scared me. My score went down 7 points and I could not apply at all. This year, I'm terrified something similar will happen. I don't want to take it a third time and I want to have the average stats to at least be in a position to apply :(
Just wondering how much use of units do you do on the C/P section? Because honestly a good chucking of the questions can be solved by using dimensional analysis and units and it really only takes a few days to become pretty adept at it

Reactions: 1 user
The scale score. If a 40/59 is equivalent to a 47/59 for C/P, then the former is harder due to more sensitive curve.
The scaled scores are almost identical for FL 2 and 3 for C/P. The "easiest" in terms of scaled scoring is FL 1. Also none of the FL scales have that big a discrepancy usually only a question of two difference. But the idea is that when they convert it to a scaled number it represents the knowledge you have on the subject. So it is really irrelevant how hard a section is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for lmk! Where did you get this information from?
There is a thread somewhere with several years of data compiled on the subject. It was also backed up by adcoms on the thread, the only disadvantage your at they say is that you don't have a chance at an early interview.

Going through the science section banks again thinking to myself "how could I have gotten some of these the first time through?" You really pick up on aamc style in both the question stems and answers. First time through, I did a lot of reasoning beyond the text without a lot of evidence from the actual text, especially for BB. But you realize that half the time they're just asking for the control or effect the independent variable had on the knockout gene etc.

Feeling good going into Saturday for the CP and BB. I'm praying Psych/Soc is a lot of terms. I've been grinding hard memorizing. Also praying that CARS is somehow like q pack 2

I agree. There were lots of things that I *felt* stumped by in the moment only to realize during review that they were given right in the passage/data.

Going through the science section banks again thinking to myself "how could I have gotten some of these the first time through?" You really pick up on aamc style in both the question stems and answers. First time through, I did a lot of reasoning beyond the text without a lot of evidence from the actual text, especially for BB. But you realize that half the time they're just asking for the control or effect the independent variable had on the knockout gene etc.

Feeling good going into Saturday for the CP and BB. I'm praying Psych/Soc is a lot of terms. I've been grinding hard memorizing. Also praying that CARS is somehow like q pack 2

Would you hate me if i said i prefer more first half of Qpack1? I suck at reasoning beyond the text and convoluted passages will ALWAYS be comprehension. I'll take Picasso and Confucius any day over a another haha.

Also, what would you say are your strong and weak points in content for the sciences?

Would you hate me if i said i prefer more first half of Qpack1? I suck at reasoning beyond the text and convoluted passages will ALWAYS be comprehension. I'll take Picasso and Confucius any day over a another haha.

Also, what would you say are your strong and weak points in content for the sciences?

That Picasso passage was pretty tough. Very convoluted for sure.

I'd consider my biggest weakness to be Physics, although I took the old test and ended up with an 11 on that section. My strengths are in the Chemistries, especially Biochem. I memorized all the enzymes and reactants in glycolysis and Krebs as well as the key points to the ETC. I was a tutor for all the chemistry courses so the material is quite fresh. I really like the Bio on this new mcat compared to old one. I like the research based passages. I also think a huge strength of mine is in Physiology. I took a med school level Physiology class in undergrad and studied so much that I have retained nearly all of that info.

Honestly it's just years of reinforcing through teaching and lots of practice passages that have gotten me to the 130 mark on the practice tests. I still left some points on the table though, as I was still tricked by aamc reasoning.

Exam is tomorrow. My testing site is 3.5 hours away so I'm about to hit the highway.

Do I feel prepared? Hellz no. :laugh:

But somehow I feel oddly at peace. It's like, OK I may not have done 100% of what I said I was gonna do but I have prepared for this thing since January and I need to get over this fear if I want to become a physician.

Good luck everyone! I will be back!

Reactions: 2 users
Just took NS FL 2, which I thought was really hard. But I scored a 512 with 128 in the sciences. I will never understand how I manage to do well on Altius/NS science sections and so poorly on the AAMC FL C/P :smack: still debating on whether I should postpone my June test...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh. PS sucked. Lots of stuff I have never heard of...

Otherwise felt “ok.” Very similar to AAMC FLs. If anything BB felt very simplistic. I’m withholding my feelings until more time passes.

The whole thing was terrible, C/P was almost all physics and P/S had a ton of stuff that I had never heard of where you had to know random experiments. I had 515, 511, 517 AAMC and hoping I somehow got above a 510 but seriously doubt it did if the FL scoring is any indication of the real scoring

My initial feelings:

Chem/Phys is all gen Chem & physics. Good news if you're like me and hate ochem.

CARS: no crazy passages

B/B: A bunch of experimental stuff basically.

Psych/Soc - basically diet CARS with some terms I've never heard of thrown in.

There was a good chunk of laboratory technique questions thrown in there. EK has a great chapter on this.

I'll probably have to retake, but this test is beatable if you do enough practice questions and have good background knowledge.

Damn my head hurts..

I bet you did better than you think. I’m so glad it’s over.
My issue was timing, I also flirt with running out of time and I missed time on two sections which sinks your score real quick. But thanks for the kind words, I hope it well well for you!

Pretty sure I failed CARS. It was never a strength of mine anyways. Thought CP was doable. BB was hard AF and made me question everything I know. I thought PS was easiest- I knew all the terms on there and very little crazy reasoning type inferential stuff. Honest assessment- I'd be happy to break 510 lol

My issue was timing, I also flirt with running out of time and I missed time on two sections which sinks your score real quick. But thanks for the kind words, I hope it well well for you!
I know that feeling from previous MCAT experience... there’s something about the real thing that makes you focus hard on each question and forget about the timer. I made sure to fight that today and somehow ended C/P with 6 minutes to go back and think about some things...

Pretty sure I failed CARS. It was never a strength of mine anyways. Thought CP was doable. BB was hard AF and made me question everything I know. I thought PS was easiest- I knew all the terms on there and very little crazy reasoning type inferential stuff. Honest assessment- I'd be happy to break 510 lol

There was one particular B.B. passage that I just had to roll my eyes at. I thought it was ridiculous.

I damn near ran out of time on every section but Psych/Soc.

There was a few times I knew the answer but had just read the question wrong. I hate when I do that!

There was one particular B.B. passage that I just had to roll my eyes at. I thought it was ridiculous.

One? Or all of them? I once considered the BB section to be a strength of mine. Can I at least get into a Carib school with a 122 on BB?

Some context: I was up till 2am last night cramming P/S (which was very needed today), but was not able to fall asleep for even a minute due to crippling anxiety. As a result, my brain was not able to handle CARS and I ended up picking C for a whole 10 questions. Kinda wanna cry. Best expected CARS score 40/53.

C/P was fun. But because i was out of it, I spent too much time on a few questions (Im addicted to getting calculations right) that I ended up speed guessing on like 3 easy questions!! UGH. I missed an easy point. I expect best: 49/59

B/B was a ****ing blessing. Happy to barely finish in time at least. Highest expected: 54/59.

P/S was okay. Felt good about it, but just confirmed at least THREE wrong answers. UGH!! So sociology heavy. Im such an idiot :( Highest expected: 50/59

HOW DID EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT CARS? Please tell me you dreaded it. :(

Also, there were two C/P sections. One "hard" and calculation heavy, which is the one I had, the other is what I hear on reddit to be doable (which ine do you think you had @BobbyKoch?). Mine would have been very doable too had I not obsessed over like TWO questions for 3 minutes.

My body betrayed me yesterday...i really needed those few hours of sleep. :(

What I dread the most is how everyone on reddit is saying how breezy the CARS passages were. I WISH I HAD A FUNCTIONAL MIND TO FEEL THAT BREEZE. Expecting a 121 honestly. :(

Last edited:
BB and Psych were bearable.
PS was hard.
CARS was a WTF throughout.

i felt the exam was much harder than practice tests... or is it just me.
:'(

Took the MCAT today (16 June)

C/P was tough
CARS was tough
Feel like I killed B/B
P/S was fair...

So damn nervous...got a 509/507 on my last two AAMC FLs...but I didn't feel too good on the C/P today :( Guessed on quite a few :(

Need that 509-510!

I know that feeling from previous MCAT experience... there’s something about the real thing that makes you focus hard on each question and forget about the timer. I made sure to fight that today and somehow ended C/P with 6 minutes to go back and think about some things...

MCAT official time is literally look at the time and think, "Oh good. I still have 11:00 on this passage." Look again two seconds later, and you're at 08:15. Like WTF.

BB and Psych were bearable.
PS was hard.
CARS was a WTF throughout.

i felt the exam was much harder than practice tests... or is it just me.
:'(

For me CP was hard, CARS was hard, BB felt easy, and PS was doable, except for like 5 or 6 tricky questions.

I bet you did better than you think. I’m so glad it’s over.

Hopefully...

I feel like I failed CP and got a 125...it was harder than usual, and I guessed on a good amount...hopefully a 126

CARS is my enemy...I hope I can get a 125-126

B/B is my strength. Hoping for a 129-130

P/S...127-129 range

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!! I'm also surprised about all the posts regarding C/P..I never spent too much time on physics but I guess it's time to catch up!

Since many people have commented on C/P being more difficult, are there any suggestions/tips for those studying for future June exams?

Sent from my iPhone

Since many people have commented on C/P being more difficult, are there any suggestions/tips for those studying for future June exams?

Sent from my iPhone

I used to read the CP passages in detail and it would take me forever and gain me very little. Leading up to this test I practiced reading through the passage quickly, almost just to see what’s there, and then diving into the questions.

A lot of the questions were really basic and many of the passages gave way more info than necessary. Full understanding of the passage wasn’t needed.

Know equations for Force in a magnetic field. Energy of a photon. Have a good understanding of electromagnetic spectrum, relation of wavelength and energy, basics of Doppler effect. Lots of physics II ideas but kinematics is also fair game. Center of mass equation might be useful... ;)

Honestly, if I had to take it again in two weeks I would just do passage-based CP problems and memorize PS terms until I was blue in the face.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to add: know what pI is and how it might help in purifying a sample. Know all the forms of chromatography, isoelectric focusing, spectroscopy, etc.

I’ve found that very often when I have no idea what to do, multiplying or dividing two of the given values will yield one of the answers. Sometimes this will just jog your memory, too.

Get comfy manipulating equations. I had an unfortunate habit of just plugging and chugging without first isolating the variable I wanted to solve for. Dumb. Made lots of mistakes this way. Manipulate the equation first, then plug and chug. Always. Good luck to you!!!

I used to read the CP passages in detail and it would take me forever and gain me very little. Leading up to this test I practiced reading through the passage quickly, almost just to see what’s there, and then diving into the questions.

A lot of the questions were really basic and many of the passages gave way more info than necessary. Full understanding of the passage wasn’t needed.

Know equations for Force in a magnetic field. Energy of a photon. Have a good understanding of electromagnetic spectrum, relation of wavelength and energy, basics of Doppler effect. Lots of physics II ideas but kinematics is also fair game. Center of mass equation might be useful... ;)

Honestly, if I had to take it again in two weeks I would just do passage-based CP problems and memorize PS terms until I was blue in the face.
Super helpful—thanks! CP is my weakest, so that’s what I’ll probably be working on for the next 2 weeks. If I don’t improve, welp, can’t win ’em all hahaha

Since I have started on the SB (purchasing tomorrow), would those be the best for doing passage-based problems?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, I think SB is very representative. I am also a big fan of the Altius fl tests. But try to do the SB twice if at all possible with thorough review/note taking.

I did them untimed. But that was only because I knew I had my timing down from practicing with Altius.

Even after I finished a SB section, I saw that I was at around 90-120 seconds per question which is where I wanted to be.

I did them untimed. But that was only because I knew I had my timing down from practicing with Altius.

Even after I finished a SB section, I saw that I was at around 90-120 seconds per question which is where I wanted to be.
Nice. I'm still struggling with timing. Any advice on how to improve? I end up guessing on 2 passages. When I try to just skim the passage, I get paranoid, thinking that I could be missing important info I need in order to get to the right answer...

Hey guys! I need some advice here....I'm going over physics and it is taking me forever to go through the Kaplan end of chapter quizzes...I'm okay with understanding concepts, what's taking forever are really the equations. I'm about three weeks away from my test date. How would you rate the importance of physics computations? I'm good with genchem...

I'm just worried I might be blowing valuable time by meticulously going over all those calculations. I can do the simple basic stuff, but some of the Kaplan material is making you long calculations to get to an answer. I don't think I would have time to do those on test day.

Hey guys! I need some advice here....I'm going over physics and it is taking me forever to go through the Kaplan end of chapter quizzes...I'm okay with understanding concepts, what's taking forever are really the equations. I'm about three weeks away from my test date. How would you rate the importance of physics computations? I'm good with genchem...

I'm just worried I might be blowing valuable time by meticulously going over all those calculations. I can do the simple basic stuff, but some of the Kaplan material is making you long calculations to get to an answer. I don't think I would have time to do those on test day.
I stopped doing Kaplan’s quizzes when they had me doing a literal 15-step math problem. There’s no way that extensive of a problem would be on the actual MCAT & if it was, I’d probably miss it anyway. Kaplan is notorious for too in-depth of questions, so I’d spend your time on the AAMC Physics Qpack for more practice!

I had a few Physics calculations, but they were simple 1-2 steps.

I stopped doing Kaplan’s quizzes when they had me doing a literal 15-step math problem. There’s no way that extensive of a problem would be on the actual MCAT & if it was, I’d probably miss it anyway. Kaplan is notorious for too in-depth of questions, so I’d spend your time on the AAMC Physics Qpack for more practice!

I had a few Physics calculations, but they were simple 1-2 steps.

Thank you all! That's so relieving to read..

@fingerscrossed2018 I would probably miss them too. It just seems like such a waste of valuable time. I appreciate the practice but at some point it was just getting frustrating and time consuming.

@Chromatic543 that's what I figured!! I don't think time constraints allow for such lengthy calculations anyways. I think I will spend more time understanding concepts and memorizing formulas in case I need to calculate things.

Hey guys, I did all the AAMC FL's in February near the start of my studying (I know, stupid) and then did them again three months later after completing all AAMC and Khan material and got very improved results (although i'm sure the scores are inflated since i saw the material before). Then today I took an Altius test and got DESTROYED. I was knew i messed up with my timing today, but I did not expect my score to be as low as it was on this. Is Altius representative of the real exam? Am I ****ed haha?

Date Test Name: Score (CP / CARS / BB / PS)
2/21 AAMC FL 3: 495 (121/ 125 / 126 / 123) untimed
3/06 AAMC FL 2: 494 (122/ 127 / 122 / 123) untimed
3/13 AAMC FL 1: 495 (122/ 125 / 124 / 124) untimed
3/27 AAMC Sample: (49%/ 79% / 68% / 71%) untimed
4/10 Section Bank PS: 55% untimed
4/25 Section Bank CP: 50% untimed
4/29 Section Bank BB: 44% untimed

*Did all AAMC material, question banks, flashcards, all KA questions*

5/27 AAMC FL 3: 510 (126/ 130 / 127 / 127) test conditions
5/30 AAMC FL 2: 505 (126/ 124 / 127 / 128) test conditions
6/03 AAMC FL 1: 509 (126/ 126 / 129 / 128) test conditions
6/08 Section Bank PS: 73% timed
6/12 Section Bank CP: 70% timed
6/11 Section Bank BB: 64% timed

6/20 Altius FL1: 497 (!!!) (124 / 122 / 125 / 126) test conditions

6/30 Test day

Hey guys, I did all the AAMC FL's in February near the start of my studying (I know, stupid) and then did them again three months later after completing all AAMC and Khan material and got very improved results (although i'm sure the scores are inflated since i saw the material before). Then today I took an Altius test and got DESTROYED. I was knew i messed up with my timing today, but I did not expect my score to be as low as it was on this. Is Altius representative of the real exam? Am I ****ed haha?

Date Test Name: Score (CP / CARS / BB / PS)
2/21 AAMC FL 3: 495 (121/ 125 / 126 / 123) untimed
3/06 AAMC FL 2: 494 (122/ 127 / 122 / 123) untimed
3/13 AAMC FL 1: 495 (122/ 125 / 124 / 124) untimed
3/27 AAMC Sample: (49%/ 79% / 68% / 71%) untimed
4/10 Section Bank PS: 55% untimed
4/25 Section Bank CP: 50% untimed
4/29 Section Bank BB: 44% untimed

*Did all AAMC material, question banks, flashcards, all KA questions*

5/27 AAMC FL 3: 510 (126/ 130 / 127 / 127) test conditions
5/30 AAMC FL 2: 505 (126/ 124 / 127 / 128) test conditions
6/03 AAMC FL 1: 509 (126/ 126 / 129 / 128) test conditions
6/08 Section Bank PS: 73% timed
6/12 Section Bank CP: 70% timed
6/11 Section Bank BB: 64% timed

6/20 Altius FL1: 497 (!!!) (124 / 122 / 125 / 126) test conditions

6/30 Test day

Expect to score the average of your aamc FLs. I got 515, 511, and a 517 on them and there is no chance I could break a 510 on any Kaplan exam. Your on track to score a 508 maybe a little higher or lower depending on the content of your test. If your not ok with that score you should postpone if you are you should take it. Best of luck on the exam and remember your value as a person does not depending on this test or any other

How are the end of June people feeling? Officially on my last week of studying and ya girl is STRESSED.
I had changed my date to July 7 and I am feeling super stressed too. I also have to say that I am getting to the point where I wonder how much longer I can study so many hours per day. I just want for it to be over already, but at the same time I want to make sure I got as much down as possible. :arghh:

I had changed my date to July 7 and I am feeling super stressed too. I also have to say that I am getting to the point where I wonder how much longer I can study so many hours per day. I just want for it to be over already, but at the same time I want to make sure I got as much down as possible. :arghh:
I’m almost jealous of you for having more time to study, but I physically feel like I can’t have any more 10-12 hour study days. I’m so ready to be done with this test next week (hopefully).