*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
well i did them in like January for my first take and I dont remember anything obviously, so i retook them within this past month and thats what ive been averaging

did you review them in January though? I retook most of my AAMC FLs from last year, and I'm worried about how inflated they may be...

Members don't see this ad :)
did you review them in January though? I retook most of my AAMC FLs from last year, and I'm worried about how inflated they may be...
but like i literally didnt remember any of the answers so Im not sure! My NS exams were like 510-512 so I can understand what you mean

Also, for those that did AAMC FL 3 already, how did you answer Q11 (attached)? I'm so confused because the AAMC explanation says that the monkeys on a low protein diet did not have any preference, but the figure shows them liking the high protein diet...so they do have a preference don't they?

Look at the error bars. When error bars overlap, the differences are often interpreted as not significantly different.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, yeah it takes me about 4-5 minutes too depending on the passage. Do you still find yourself rushing at the end though? I thought it was because I'm slow, but honestly, I can't fully understand the passage in 3 min of reading :unsure:
Yeah it's something about that timer being right in front of you that forces you to try to read faster. You are allotted 10 minutes per passage so I just try to have it done by 5 at the most so I have some time for the ridiculous questions. We're so close and I'm sure we're going to all do great!!

im just reviewing things i dont know, re-reading my notes, and walking through questions... Last AAMC full lengths were around 514-515. This is my second time taking it tho and im scared im gonna freak out and mess up again :(
You're gonna kill it. Second time test taker here and I'm SO excited to be done for good. My friend, who struggled with most of his premedical classes, got a 518. I asked him how he managed to do all that and he literally told me "The highest scorers go in knowing they can only do their best and leave all what-ifs at the door". We all put in the work, so we got this. Best of luck everyone!

You're gonna kill it. Second time test taker here and I'm SO excited to be done for good. My friend, who struggled with most of his premedical classes, got a 518. I asked him how he managed to do all that and he literally told me "The highest scorers go in knowing they can only do their best and leave all what-ifs at the door". We all put in the work, so we got this. Best of luck everyone!
This made my sense of impeding doom diminish a little bit

That made me feel so much better! CONFIDENCE IS KEY.. yall we sacrificed so much for this exam... lets KILL IT

I tested on June 16th, and am still worried that I bombed the test...

AAMC FL 2 = 502 (I'm not taking this too seriously, because I took it too early, and when I went back and looked at it, I could have scored at least a 507 if I didn't make so many careless errors)...CARS score was SO BAD (123)

AAMC Sample = 71%

AAMC FL 3 = 509

AAMC FL 1 = 507

Target score = 509-510

I found C/P to be tricky, and guessed on quite a few
CARS is my worst section, and hoping for at least 125-126 (126 is the highest I ever got)
B/B felt good
P/S felt pretty good

Do you think a 509-510 looks realistic based off of this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tested on June 16th, and am still worried that I bombed the test...

AAMC FL 2 = 502 (I'm not taking this too seriously, because I took it too early, and when I went back and looked at it, I could have scored at least a 507 if I didn't make so many careless errors)...CARS score was SO BAD (123)

AAMC Sample = 71%

AAMC FL 3 = 509

AAMC FL 1 = 507

Target score = 509-510

I found C/P to be tricky, and guessed on quite a few
CARS is my worst section, and hoping for at least 125-126 (126 is the highest I ever got)
B/B felt good
P/S felt pretty good

Do you think a 509-510 looks realistic based off of this?

I'm sort of in the same boat as you except I test Saturday. I got a 506 the first time I had taken it with a super uneven distribution -> 129, 123,128,126. I didn't do much practice the first time, but I've been averaging ~508-510 on the AAMC stuff now. From what I hear this is a real good indicator for how we'll do;

You've gotten a 509 on FL 3, so you're more than definitely capable of that target range. Post exam anxiety only grows as the release date approaches. Let me know how you end up doing!

Officially done studying. A friend told me that there’s obviously going to be things on there tomorrow that I’m unfamiliar with, but to not get bogged down by these questions. Pick an answer & move on—it’s likely that most other testers have no idea either. Good luck to everyone tomorrow & Saturday! I’m rooting for all of us future doctors!!

Reactions: 2 users
Officially done studying. A friend told me that there’s obviously going to be things on there tomorrow that I’m unfamiliar with, but to not get bogged down by these questions. Pick an answer & move on—it’s likely that most other testers have no idea either. Good luck to everyone tomorrow & Saturday! I’m rooting for all of us future doctors!!

The MCAT is just another test in the lifetime of many more tests that we will have to take to be a physician. It's just one more stepping stone... Good luck tomorrow!

I'm sort of in the same boat as you except I test Saturday. I got a 506 the first time I had taken it with a super uneven distribution -> 129, 123,128,126. I didn't do much practice the first time, but I've been averaging ~508-510 on the AAMC stuff now. From what I hear this is a real good indicator for how we'll do;

You've gotten a 509 on FL 3, so you're more than definitely capable of that target range. Post exam anxiety only grows as the release date approaches. Let me know how you end up doing!

I hope so...just feels like you need 50/59 on each to do well :(

I am hoping for a 44/59, 38/53, 50/59, 48/59

I hope you kill it!

Alright, friends. Posting my reaction & staying off of this specific thread for a bit lol.

CP: Maybe like 3 calculations & 4 physics questions. Oddly ochem heavy, as well as gen chem. Little biochem. Weird concepts. Idk. This section sucked literal ass. AAMC did me dirty on this.

CARS: Some wtf passages, obviously. Some super easy reading passages in there with random ass questions. Again, idk. Frick CARS.

BB: Whatever. This section was rude, but not as rude as CP. Some easy ones in there that I just didn’t know the damn answer to, so I guess they weren’t that easy. Some SB-like passages with 100 different activators/inhibitors. SO LITTLE METABOLISM. Ya girl was pissed.

PS: Fair. Some CARS 2.0 passages that I was just not having. Some terms I’ve never seen before. Multiple questions I was 50/50 on.

Overall: Frick CP.

6/29ers, WE’RE DONE. I’m getting my nails done & then putting on my drunk pants. Everyone testing tomorrow, all the luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Alright, friends. Posting my reaction & staying off of this specific thread for a bit lol.

CP: Maybe like 3 calculations & 4 physics questions. Oddly ochem heavy, as well as gen chem. Little biochem. Weird concepts. Idk. This section sucked literal ass. AAMC did me dirty on this.

CARS: Some wtf passages, obviously. Some super easy reading passages in there with random ass questions. Again, idk. Frick CARS.

BB: Whatever. This section was rude, but not as rude as CP. Some easy ones in there that I just didn’t know the damn answer to, so I guess they weren’t that easy. Some SB-like passages with 100 different activators/inhibitors. SO LITTLE METABOLISM. Ya girl was pissed.

PS: Fair. Some CARS 2.0 passages that I was just not having. Some terms I’ve never seen before. Multiple questions I was 50/50 on.

Overall: Frick CP.

6/29ers, WE’RE DONE. I’m getting my nails done & then putting on my drunk pants. Everyone testing tomorrow, all the luck!!

When you say OChem heavy, do you mean like stereoisomerism, SN1/SN2, IR/NMR heavy and/or similar to AAMC FL 3? Or do you mean you had to know certain mechanisms and reactions to answer most of the questions (things we memorize)?

If so, was the Kaplan Quicksheet organic information enough for the reactions?

Also, @fingerscrossed2018, did you feel like you needed the passage information to answer the C/P questions? A lot of people are saying that most of C/P questions are like pseudo-discerete, so wondering what your thoughts were.

When you say OChem heavy, do you mean like stereoisomerism, SN1/SN2, IR/NMR heavy and/or similar to AAMC FL 3? Or do you mean you had to know certain mechanisms and reactions to answer most of the questions (things we memorize)?

If so, was the Kaplan Quicksheet organic information enough for the reactions?

Not the poster you asked but took the same exam. Honestly mostly experimental ochem, bit of biochem and a few calculations. The first half was a **** show and I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. Got better towards the end with more straightforward questions but still royally sucked. Hoping for a good curve.

CARS was going well until the last wtf passage. Also dinosaurs lol.

B/B was fair, not the greatest. First couple passages were wtf. Lots of acronyms and a few random factoids. A few questions I actually got wrong now that I can look it up, so we'll see ☹️

P/S mostly straightforward although questions were super research based as opposed to being a vocab test. Get good at reasoning about the design/execution part.

bleh I dont feel good about today's test. anyone else feel the same? I think I got wrecked by cars

Didn’t get any sleep last night but just finished today (6/30).

Best of luck to everybody!

C/P didn’t seem as bad as the practice exams
CARS felt ok too
Def struggled on bio/biochem -_-
Psych/soc felt ok

How about you?

That seems like a good review tbh. I wish my test is like this and well-balanced like the practice exams. I'm taking it in July, but it's always nice to hear how the previous exams went. I was supposed to take it yesterday, but postponed because I didn't know any organic and needed time to brush up. Thank god I didn't take it yesterday. Was there a lot of metabolism or organic on today's test?

I feel at ease finally being done with the MCAT. The anticipation for the scores is killing me, but I'm trying to make the most out of this month before the results come in, and I officially know I didn't do good. Lol

For me,

C/P: very hard. I think I figured out some of it, but honestly I don't even remember any of the questions at this point.
CARS: Wasn't too bad. I think it was one of my best sections, but there were a questions I wasn't sure on..
B/B: This, I think, was definitely my best section. I'm hoping I score as well as I hope I did, so it can make up for my weaker sections. (hopefully I guessed correctly in those sections, so I wouldnt need to make up for it)
P/S: I don't even know what the hell happened in this section. Also my weaker section. A lot of the answers I was 50/50 on. Hopefully I did okay.

I feel at ease finally being done with the MCAT. The anticipation for the scores is killing me, but I'm trying to make the most out of this month before the results come in, and I officially know I didn't do good. Lol

For me,

C/P: very hard. I think I figured out some of it, but honestly I don't even remember any of the questions at this point.
CARS: Wasn't too bad. I think it was one of my best sections, but there were a questions I wasn't sure on..
B/B: This, I think, was definitely my best section. I'm hoping I score as well as I hope I did, so it can make up for my weaker sections. (hopefully I guessed correctly in those sections, so I wouldnt need to make up for it)
P/S: I don't even know what the hell happened in this section. Also my weaker section. A lot of the answers I was 50/50 on. Hopefully I did okay.

How did you do on the AAMC FLs?

How did you do on the AAMC FLs?

I did well on the AAMC FLs. The real one I had was more physcis heavy, and I thought P/S was more experimental based. My FLs were

AAMC 1: 501 (Before I started studying)
AAMC 2: 514 (2 weeks before MCAT)
Sample Test: ~512 (Week before MCAT)
AAMC 3: 513 (Wednesday before MCAT)
MCAT: TBD (6/30)

UPDATE: MCAT: 514!!!!!

Last edited:
On my break during FL#3....holy crap C/P was sooo hard! I feel like I'm being destroyed! I'm testing on Saturday, so hope this score is not going to completely demoralize me. I will probably reschedule or void if this turns out to be a bloody mess of a score.

I did well on the AAMC FLs. The real one I had was more physcis heavy, and I thought P/S was more experimental based. My FLs were

AAMC 1: 501 (Before I started studying)
AAMC 2: 514 (2 weeks before MCAT)
Sample Test: ~512 (Week before MCAT)
AAMC 3: 513 (Wednesday before MCAT)
MCAT: TBD (6/30)

Those are good scores, I think you will be fine! Compared to third-party FLs (NS, Altius, etc), what would you say was most similar to the real deal?

Can someone share their timing strategy for Chem/Phys and B/B? I still really struggle with that aspect of the exam...

Can someone share their timing strategy for Chem/Phys and B/B? I still really struggle with that aspect of the exam...
I struggle with this too, and for some reason I completely lost track of time on AAMC FL 3 C/P Section. I think my main strategy from now on is to guess and move on for the questions that I don't know at all or for calculations that take too long. I've noticed that the questions later tend to be easier, but if I dwell too much on one question, I don't have time to complete the easier q's. So I am going to use the "guess and come back later if there's time" strategy.

I struggle with this too, and for some reason I completely lost track of time on AAMC FL 3 C/P Section. I think my main strategy from now on is to guess and move on for the questions that I don't know at all or for calculations that take too long. I've noticed that the questions later tend to be easier, but if I dwell too much on one question, I don't have time to complete the easier q's. So I am going to use the "guess and come back later if there's time" strategy.
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. When I see that I can do a calculation, I just go for it. But a lot of times-like in FL3- it took me longer than expected....and there were so many of them too.

Does anyone know if the actual exam usually also has so many calculations? I think this was the most calculation heavy of the three.

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. When I see that I can do a calculation, I just go for it. But a lot of times-like in FL3- it took me longer than expected....and there were so many of them too.

Does anyone know if the actual exam usually also has so many calculations? I think this was the most calculation heavy of the three.

FL 3 C/P was tough for me. In my case, it wasn't the calculation questions that lost me time; I dwelled over the organic questions and lost time. If I were to do it again, I would have guessed on the heavy organic ones and spent more time on calculations. How did you end up doing on FL 3 overall though?

FL 3 C/P was tough for me. In my case, it wasn't the calculation questions that lost me time; I dwelled over the organic questions and lost time. If I were to do it again, I would have guessed on the heavy organic ones and spent more time on calculations. How did you end up doing on FL 3 overall though?

Yeah, I found those difficult as well. I ended up scoring a 503 :( it's a terrible score and I'm not sure what to do just yet. The rest of my app is okay (I think). So..I wonder if I should just take it and void if it turns out to be a physics heavy exam. Reading through previous threads, it seems like the MCAT is usually not as heavy on phy..although I think this year one of the exams actually was. Arrgh...I don't know. Thoughts anyone? Do people actually get in with scores around 500?

Yeah, I found those difficult as well. I ended up scoring a 503 :( it's a terrible score and I'm not sure what to do just yet. The rest of my app is okay (I think). So..I wonder if I should just take it and void if it turns out to be a physics heavy exam. Reading through previous threads, it seems like the MCAT is usually not as heavy on phy..although I think this year one of the exams actually was. Arrgh...I don't know. Thoughts anyone? Do people actually get in with scores around 500?

If you are looking for MD, you might want to void or reschedule. However, if you want to do DO, I think you'd be okay. You can even postpone your exam to August and still be fine for DO if your app is complete then

If you are looking for MD, you might want to void or reschedule. However, if you want to do DO, I think you'd be okay. You can even postpone your exam to August and still be fine for DO if your app is complete then

I would go either way. I'm a non traditional applicant, so I think I have to be extra careful? I know discrimination based on age is not legal but that doesn't mean it cannot influence someone's decision lol

Voiding will be such a difficult decision because you never know what the curve will look like.

I would go either way. I'm a non traditional applicant, so I think I have to be extra careful? I know discrimination based on age is not legal but that doesn't mean it cannot influence someone's decision lol

Voiding will be such a difficult decision because you never know what the curve will look like.

Do you mean be careful in terms of getting a good/bad MCAT score? I was confused what this meant in relation to the MCAT...but I don't think age would be a huge factor in decisions seeing as many people over 30 frequently get in. How long have you been out of school?

If it's been a long time, I've heard that adcoms understand it's been a while since you took the material and that this may contribute to a lower score. And yeah, I agree with you that voiding is risky :shrug:

HEY YO any 6/1 or 6/2 testers here?! Less than 24 hours til we get our scores and I am literally about to lose it. What if I got less than 500. Ugh I hate this so much.

Do you mean be careful in terms of getting a good/bad MCAT score? I was confused what this meant in relation to the MCAT...but I don't think age would be a huge factor in decisions seeing as many people over 30 frequently get in. How long have you been out of school?

If it's been a long time, I've heard that adcoms understand it's been a while since you took the material and that this may contribute to a lower score. And yeah, I agree with you that voiding is risky :shrug:

Yeah I'm thinking that it might be more of a disadvantage to apply with a low score when you're a bit older lol I was also reading up on non-trads in this forum, and there seem to be quite a bit who get in so I might just be paranoid lol

Have you ever encountered a score plateau like this? And if so, how did you break out of it? I'm thinking it must be something about my strategy or something...no idea.

HEY YO any 6/1 or 6/2 testers here?! Less than 24 hours til we get our scores and I am literally about to lose it. What if I got less than 500. Ugh I hate this so much.

Wow! Time went by quickly!! Don't forget to share how it went for you guys!!!