*The Official MCAT June 2018 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretty_positron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
June 2nd, 2018 here.

81 days until the test, here.

Let's rock, brothers and sisters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m almost jealous of you for having more time to study, but I physically feel like I can’t have any more 10-12 hour study days. I’m so ready to be done with this test next week (hopefully).
I cannot wait to be done as well...jealous of you in that respect. I cannot even study effectively for that long right now. I think I'm doing more like 6-8 which is not enough. Hopefully its just a rough patch that'll pass SOON

Members don't see this ad :)
A little late to the party but I took it 6/16.

Previous MCAT scores:

2/3/16: 504 127/123/128/126
3/3/18: 505 126/124/126/128

Practice AAMC FL:

FL 1 (6/1) 511 130/126/128/127
FL 2 (6/5) 515 130/127/130/128
Sample (6/8) 80.43% 75%/77%/85%/85%
FL 3 (6/11) 508 127/125/128/128

I had previously seen FL1, FL2, and the sample but it had been longer than 15 months since I saw them last. So they might have been inflated a point or two. But the science sections felt new and I didn't remember any of the passages or discrete questions besides maybe 1-2. My target score was/is a 512.

Actual test day:

C/P: Calculation heavy and there were two questions that I couldn't easily derive the right answer and had to skip in the interest of timing.

CARs: This has always been my weak area and spent the last few days heavily reviewing this section. I felt the passages on test day were actually pretty easy but I'm not confident that it was a result of my preparation and legitimately arrived at the right answers or fell into traps that seemed blatantly obvious. I did catch about 3-4 questions where they were trying to mislead you to select an obvious answer but wasn't the actual correct answer (or what I thought was the correct answer).

B/B: Fairly straight forward

P/S: Brutal. Its not that I didn't know the terms well, albeit there were a few terms/experiments that I had not heard of before (which always seems to be the case on actual test day with this section unfortunately), but more that the answer choices were so similar that it was hard to differentiate what viewpoint they were actually trying to represent. Extremely inference heavy, just knowing the definitions well for this section won't cut it. You have to know exactly how each viewpoint can be applied in a wide variety of scenarios. I feel like there was about 4-6 questions where I could not simply "poke holes" in other answer choices to arrive at the correct one and was subsequently left with a 50/50 or even 33/33/33. This has been my strongest section since my last MCAT but felt the worst about this section. I'm still hoping for a 127-128 in this section.

If you're struggling with timing/nerves, especially starting off on the first section, try completing the last three discrete questions first. These questions, at least for me, are easier and fairly straight forward and tend to boost confidence early on and help you get into that rhythm without messing with your timing. Get extremely comfortable with doing the calculations while feeling the pressure. Having every single equation memorized on the KAPLAN quick sheets plus a few others is essential to feel like you at least have the knowledge and capability of arriving at correct answer if given enough time. Use dimensional analysis if for whatever reason you can't remember an equation, most of the time you can at least narrow it down to a 50/50. Timing is key, don't waste 3-4 minutes trying to work the numbers to get a right answer -- the reality is you're most likely going to miss that question anyway and there are questions later in the section that you won't be able to give enough time to that would have otherwise been a gimmy. This goes for any of the sections, if you're spending 2-3 minutes having that inner debate of A vs. B, you're shooting yourself in the foot for the rest of the section. This was a hard habit of mine to break, I always felt like I was so close to getting the right answer that I would keep trying to manipulate the numbers, but performance on the latter half of the section noticeably suffered when I began to feel the time crunch. I highly recommend EK 101 Verbal Reasoning if you are struggling with CARs. Just my thoughts and feelings, feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
What did y'all use to practice stoichometry problems? My kaplan books only have one end of chapter section with 15 problems but that's not enough

Thank you :) What is that and where can I find it?

UWorld - #1 Test Prep for USMLE, ABIM, ABFM, NCLEX, SAT, ACT & MCAT

You can get a 15-day free access! You can also get a 3-month free access - there is a link somewhere on SDN with the deal, but I'm unable to locate it atm. I'm sure you can find it if you search deeper though. Hopefully, that link still works. I would suggest dividing the questions based on content you are weak in. So, you can only choose to do stoichiometry questions first and then go on to other topics.

UWorld - #1 Test Prep for USMLE, ABIM, ABFM, NCLEX, SAT, ACT & MCAT

You can get a 15-day free access! You can also get a 3-month free access - there is a link somewhere on SDN with the deal, but I'm unable to locate it atm. I'm sure you can find it if you search deeper though. Hopefully, that link still works. I would suggest dividing the questions based on content you are weak in. So, you can only choose to do stoichiometry questions first and then go on to other topics.
WOW!! This is awesome! Thanks so much! I'm testing in 2 weeks so 14 days is perfect. Do I have to cancel it or does it just expire after that?

WOW!! This is awesome! Thanks so much! I'm testing in 2 weeks so 14 days is perfect. Do I have to cancel it or does it just expire after that?

No problem! You don't need to put in credit card information, so I don't think it will make a difference either way. It will probably just expire on its own. Good luck with studying!

I’m almost jealous of you for having more time to study, but I physically feel like I can’t have any more 10-12 hour study days. I’m so ready to be done with this test next week (hopefully).

How do you manage to do 10-12 hour days? Like how do you divide up the time in the day and also, how do you make sure to focus for so long? I would love the tips!

How do you manage to do 10-12 hour days? Like how do you divide up the time in the day and also, how do you make sure to focus for so long? I would love the tips!
I made a study plan way at the beginning of my studying that I try to stick to. I used to get really mad at myself if I didn’t reach a certain point each day, but I’ve honestly given up on that because it gave me tons of anxiety. So now I just do the best I can to follow my plans for the day & adjust the rest of the week for the days I fall short. I give myself lots of breaks to avoid mental blocks. Even if it’s just a trip to the bathroom, a song break, or a walk around the library, it helps. 10-12 hour days suck & I can’t wait to stopppp this nonsense.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you studying this last week?! Also, how'd you guys do on the AAMC full lengths so far?

I'm exhausted honestly and so ready to get this over with! I've been averaging 508 on Kaplan recently and did the AAMC ones too early (averaged 508 there too). This final week I'm just reviewing KA notes on P/S and doing a few CARS passages. How about you guys??

How are you studying this last week?! Also, how'd you guys do on the AAMC full lengths so far?

I take AAMC Fl3 tomorrow. have done all AAMC material once that is done.

I need to be doing practice CARS, so probably will do maybe old AAMC and utilize my free Testing Solutions account. Otherwise, gonna be drilling content!

I'm getting more and more nervous and still feeling like I needed more time. Is this normal? I wonder if I'll ever feel prepared for this. I'm also afraid I could be forgetting things until test day!!! I'm testing July 7 and wanted to squeeze in 3 more practice tests and review that content......thoughts on how else to use the week up to the exam wisely?

I'm so glad when this is over!!!

I'm getting more and more nervous and still feeling like I needed more time. Is this normal? I wonder if I'll ever feel prepared for this. I'm also afraid I could be forgetting things until test day!!! I'm testing July 7 and wanted to squeeze in 3 more practice tests and review that content......thoughts on how else to use the week up to the exam wisely?

I'm so glad when this is over!!!
I'm using the Kaplan Quicksheets, AAMC flashcards, and going over my PS SB notes. Probably going to sprinkle some CARS passages in as well.

I'm using the Kaplan Quicksheets, AAMC flashcards, and going over my PS SB notes. Probably going to sprinkle some CARS passages in as well.

Do you know where we can find the Kaplan quick sheets? I am looking for quick summaries of the content and equations, and everyone refers to the Kaplan quick sheets...can I find this online somewhere?

Has anyone taken the jack westin CARS exams? I just finished San Diego and did really poorly. I'm retaking the MCAT and CARS was my lowest score by far. I've taken all the AAMC material before so I don't really trust my scores for those tests upon retaking them (might be a little inflated??) this time around.

Any tips?? Testing on the 30th.

Has anyone taken the jack westin CARS exams? I just finished San Diego and did really poorly. I'm retaking the MCAT and CARS was my lowest score by far. I've taken all the AAMC material before so I don't really trust my scores for those tests upon retaking them (might be a little inflated??) this time around.

I did all of his CARS exams, scored 60% on San Diego. That was so hard

Do you know where we can find the Kaplan quick sheets? I am looking for quick summaries of the content and equations, and everyone refers to the Kaplan quick sheets...can I find this online somewhere?
I have the actual booklet, but I’ve seen the whole thing on Reddit. Just do a Google search & it’ll pop up!

I like the JW single passages, but not the exams.

At this point I wouldn't stress your brain too much. Going in with a clear head is the best thing you can do versus cramming the few days before. You're gonna do great assuming you put in the work. The MCAT really isn't THAT bad if you focus on big ideas. CARS just really comes down to "can you read the passage in 4 minutes" while also answering "why did the author write this".

Last full day of studying. Also, I went to my testing center earlier this morning just to make sure I know where I'm going on Friday. The proctor was such a jerk & was like “well if you’re not testing until Friday, why are you here today?” Like ok homie it's clear that I am here because I am anxious leave me alone

Reactions: 8 users
Last full day of studying. Also, I went to my testing center earlier this morning just to make sure I know where I'm going on Friday. The proctor was such a jerk & was like “well if you’re not testing until Friday, why are you here today?” Like ok homie it's clear that I am here because I am anxious leave me alone

It makes total sense to do that, I plan on visiting my testing site the day before as well.

Remember Yerkes-Dodson...anxiety can be helpful ;) You got this!! Good luck to you and everyone else testing this weekend.

Did anyone go through AK Lectures for Biochem. lab techniques? If I go through all his videos on this topic, will I be prepared for the experimental stuff on the exam? I won't have time to take notes for every video now, but I'm hoping just listening to him explain the topics will help.

What do you guys think??

I'm so sick of postponing this damn exam. I've been a teacher during my gap year so I've only been able to study full time this last month (started with part time in Jan). I'm testing 6/29 and I'm having such a hard time staying focused these last few days. So far I've been switching between Uworld and looking through full lengths. Does anyone think reviewing section banks is worth it?

Here are my scores (btw did anyone feel FL1 and 2 were super easy compared to 3?)
FL1: 512
FL2: 515 (126 P/S!!)
FL3: 511

Did anyone go through AK Lectures for Biochem. lab techniques? If I go through all his videos on this topic, will I be prepared for the experimental stuff on the exam? I won't have time to take notes for every video now, but I'm hoping just listening to him explain the topics will help.

What do you guys think??

I feel like Uworld practice probs will help, I found watching videos was superficial learning for me and I really mastered those concepts on passages and doing problems. To answer your other question, I read the passage slowly (making sure I understand each paragraph) and then answer the questions. Someone on reddit recommended it and I found my scores improving (not amazing but I'm ranging 127-129). The time you lose reading slowly is quickly made up by answering the questions faster. I always have at least 10 minutes at the end of CARS with this method. GL!

I think redoing and reviewing section banks is worth it. Lots of good content and reasoning reinforcement to be had.

I feel like Uworld practice probs will help, I found watching videos was superficial learning for me and I really mastered those concepts on passages and doing problems. To answer your other question, I read the passage slowly (making sure I understand each paragraph) and then answer the questions. Someone on reddit recommended it and I found my scores improving (not amazing but I'm ranging 127-129). The time you lose reading slowly is quickly made up by answering the questions faster. I always have at least 10 minutes at the end of CARS with this method. GL!

When did you begin UWorld? Did you do all of their problems? Also, which practice problems have you been using for CARS?

6/1 tester here.

FL 1 (before content review) 504.
then after 3 months full time study:
NS 1: 514
FL2 519,
FL 3 521

The wait for the score release on 7/3 is absolute torture. It's really destroying me
I just pray for over 512 or maybe even over 513, since I'm from CA

I'm so sick of postponing this damn exam. I've been a teacher during my gap year so I've only been able to study full time this last month (started with part time in Jan). I'm testing 6/29 and I'm having such a hard time staying focused these last few days. So far I've been switching between Uworld and looking through full lengths. Does anyone think reviewing section banks is worth it?

Here are my scores (btw did anyone feel FL1 and 2 were super easy compared to 3?)
FL1: 512
FL2: 515 (126 P/S!!)
FL3: 511

I definitely think redoing section banks is worth it if you have the extra time. I took the last Kaplan full length 12 today as a sense for time management more than anything. Redoing bio SB 1 now and hoping on redoing physics and cars SB 1 tomorrow.

6/1 tester here.

FL 1 (before content review) 504.
then after 3 months full time study:
NS 1: 514
FL2 519,
FL 3 521

The wait for the score release on 7/3 is absolute torture. It's really destroying me
I just pray for over 512 or maybe even over 513, since I'm from CA

June 2nd tester here,

Agreed.. The wait has been dreadful!
Well, less than a week now!

Also, how long does it take you guys to read a CARS passage?
~3-3.5 minutes bc I’m neurotic & like to have more time on the questions to confirm my answers are somehow supported by the passage. It’s like checking 2+2 on a calculator, even though I know damn well what the answer will be lol

Can someone clarify the difference between eidetic and flashbulb memory? This was a question on FL 3 and I got it right, but that was b/c I didn't know what eidetic memory was. After checking, these two terms are pretty similar. How should I best distinguish them?

It takes me about 4 minutes +/- 1 minute depending if it's something interesting or dreaded humanities.

Okay, yeah it takes me about 4-5 minutes too depending on the passage. Do you still find yourself rushing at the end though? I thought it was because I'm slow, but honestly, I can't fully understand the passage in 3 min of reading :unsure:

im just reviewing things i dont know, re-reading my notes, and walking through questions... Last AAMC full lengths were around 514-515. This is my second time taking it tho and im scared im gonna freak out and mess up again :(

Can someone clarify the difference between eidetic and flashbulb memory? This was a question on FL 3 and I got it right, but that was b/c I didn't know what eidetic memory was. After checking, these two terms are pretty similar. How should I best distinguish them?
i like to think of eidetic memory has photographic memory and flashbulb as having a vivid memory because of an emotional event.... to put it in the simplest terms ever lol

im just reviewing things i dont know, re-reading my notes, and walking through questions... Last AAMC full lengths were around 514-515. This is my second time taking it tho and im scared im gonna freak out and mess up again :(

I think you'll do fine! Were those AAMC FLs retakes from last time?

Also, for those that did AAMC FL 3 already, how did you answer Q11 (attached)? I'm so confused because the AAMC explanation says that the monkeys on a low protein diet did not have any preference, but the figure shows them liking the high protein diet...so they do have a preference don't they?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 8.42.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 8.42.58 PM.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 87
Eidetic is like photographic memory. No limit to how much visual shiz you can remember. Flashbulb involves emotions (usually). Like “I remember exactly where I was when I was told my grandma died.”