The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the late reply!

The answer is C, but I am still not convinced yet!
I solved it through process of elimination and some thermo. Notice that option II is in every answer choice besides C. Since the reaction is exothermic and energy is being released the final state will be lower. Therefore, answer choice C is correct.
Option I: Since the potential energy is being converted to kinetic energy, which results in work being done on the ball (transfer of kinetic to internal) U = W.
Option II: The air resistance is doing work on the system to slow it down. There is no heat loss resulting in U = W. However, from what I remember from energy balances frictional losses were usually clumped into Q which is why I'm not 1o0% sure about the energy balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Which one did you take? I did the free Gold Standard test the other day and seriously questioned if I am capable of doing this

Haha I did Princeton review, and got steamrolled. I need to go up 30 points in order to be competitive at the school I want :))))) Lololol

Members don't see this ad :)
I solved it through process of elimination and some thermo. Notice that option II is in every answer choice besides C. Since the reaction is exothermic and energy is being released the final state will be lower. Therefore, answer choice C is correct.
Option I: Since the potential energy is being converted to kinetic energy, which results in work being done on the ball (transfer of kinetic to internal) U = W.
Option II: The air resistance is doing work on the system to slow it down. There is no heat loss resulting in U = W. However, from what I remember from energy balances frictional losses were usually clumped into Q which is why I'm not 1o0% sure about the energy balance.

Thanks for your explanations! your strategy was helpful :)

could I pick your brain at this Q:

I narrowed it down to A and C and I thought A is right! but I was incorrect!

Which of the following is true concerning an air conditioner that sits inside a thermally sealed room and draws energy from an outside power source?

1. OA) It will require more energy to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

2. OB) It will require more time to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

3. OC) It will require less energy to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

4. OD) It cannot cool the room on a permanent basis.

Which of the following is true concerning an air conditioner that sits inside a thermally sealed room and draws energy from an outside power source?

1. OA) It will require more energy to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

2. OB) It will require more time to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

3. OC) It will require less energy to cool the room than if part of the air conditioner were outside the room.

This is a kind of a tricky question. It mentions that there is no heat transfer in the system because it's thermally sealed (adiabatic). Therefore it cannot maintain a cooler temperature (cooler inside) for long because it doesn't have a heat sink to dump all the warmer air (to maintain the gradient). That's why you have your air conditioner half inside and half outside. D is the correct answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Does this question assume the air conditioner has an exhaust outside of the room? I would have answered D as well. It reminds me of the trick question, if you leave your freezer door open in the living room on a hot day how long will it take to cool the room? It will actually warm the room because no machine has 100% efficiency, so more exhaust leaves as heat than is created as cold air.

This is a kind of a tricky question. It mentions that there is no heat transfer in the system because it's thermally sealed (adiabatic). Therefore it cannot maintain a cooler temperature (cooler inside) for long because it doesn't have a heat sink to dump all the warmer air (to maintain the gradient). That's why you have your air conditioner half inside and half outside. D is the correct answer.

You and JoeCaputo were both correct ;)

I was wondering whether AC currents are testable on the new MCAT although it is not stated on the MCAT 2015 outline! has anyone heard whether it has come up on the new MCAT so far?

I was wondering whether AC currents are testable on the new MCAT although it is not stated on the MCAT 2015 outline! has anyone heard whether it has come up on the new MCAT so far?
It could but you wouldn't be expected to know the concepts and apply them.

It could but you wouldn't be expected to know the concepts and apply them.

Thanks for the response :D

here's what I just found from reddit:

REMOVED CONTENT:

Biology:

• Bone growth and bone generation
  • Pedigree analysis
  • Origin of life
General Chemistry:

• Phase Equilibria (but Phase Diagrams still tested)
Organic Chemistry:

• Simple organic compounds (e.g. alkanes, alkenes, alkynes), aromatic compounds, ethers, and amines no longer directly tested
  • Acyl halides
  • Mass spectroscopy
  • Recrystallization
Physics:

• Momentum
  • Solids (density, elastic properties, etc.)
  • Periodic motion (springs and pendulums) and wave characteristics (exception: spring potential energy still tested)
  • Circular motion
  • Alternating current
ADDED CONTENT:

Psychology/Sociology:

• Sensing the environment (vision, hearing, and other senses)
  • Making sense of the environment (attention, cognition, consciousness, memory, and language)
  • Emotion and stress
  • Individual influences on behavior (biological influences, personality, psychological disorders, motivation, attitudes)
  • Social influences on behavior (the presence of others, group processes, culture, socialization)
  • Attitude and behavior change (habituation and dishabituation, associative learning, observational learning, theories of attitude and behavior change)
  • Self-concept and identity formation
  • Social thinking (attributing behavior to persons or situation, prejudice and bias, processes related to stereotypes)
  • Social interaction (statuses, roles, networks) and self-presentation
  • Social behavior (attachment, aggression, etc.)
  • Discrimination
  • Social structure (theoretical approaches, social institutions, culture)
  • Demography (structure, shifts, and social change)
  • Social inequality (health disparities, social class, etc.)
Note: Much of the behavioral sciences section will test your data analysis abilities and knowledge of experimental and research design.

Biochemistry (Chemical and Physical Foundations):

• Acids and bases
  • Ions in solutions
  • Separations and purifications of biological molecules
  • Structure, function, and reactivity of biological molecules (Nucleotides, RNA, DNA, AAs, peptides, proteins, lipids, carbs, phenols and other aromatic compounds)
  • Bioenergetics, kinetics, and mechanisms of biological molecules
Biochemistry (Biological and Biochemical Foundations)

• Definition and biological function of biological molecules (AAs, carbs, DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes)
  • Definition and principles of bioenergetics
  • Metabolism (breakdown of glucose, fatty acids, and proteins; citric acid cycle; ox-phos, and hormonal regulation of metabolism)
  • Plasma membrane structure and mechanisms
  • Biosignaling
All of this is just an overview of what AAMC published in their more comprehensive (128 pages) guide to new exam content. But hopefully this will start you off with a better idea of how to focus your studying, especially if you're not using new books.

Thanks for the response :D

here's what I just found from reddit:

REMOVED CONTENT:

Biology:

• Bone growth and bone generation
  • Pedigree analysis
  • Origin of life
General Chemistry:

• Phase Equilibria (but Phase Diagrams still tested)
Organic Chemistry:

• Simple organic compounds (e.g. alkanes, alkenes, alkynes), aromatic compounds, ethers, and amines no longer directly tested
  • Acyl halides
  • Mass spectroscopy
  • Recrystallization
Physics:

• Momentum
  • Solids (density, elastic properties, etc.)
  • Periodic motion (springs and pendulums) and wave characteristics (exception: spring potential energy still tested)
  • Circular motion
  • Alternating current
ADDED CONTENT:

Psychology/Sociology:

• Sensing the environment (vision, hearing, and other senses)
  • Making sense of the environment (attention, cognition, consciousness, memory, and language)
  • Emotion and stress
  • Individual influences on behavior (biological influences, personality, psychological disorders, motivation, attitudes)
  • Social influences on behavior (the presence of others, group processes, culture, socialization)
  • Attitude and behavior change (habituation and dishabituation, associative learning, observational learning, theories of attitude and behavior change)
  • Self-concept and identity formation
  • Social thinking (attributing behavior to persons or situation, prejudice and bias, processes related to stereotypes)
  • Social interaction (statuses, roles, networks) and self-presentation
  • Social behavior (attachment, aggression, etc.)
  • Discrimination
  • Social structure (theoretical approaches, social institutions, culture)
  • Demography (structure, shifts, and social change)
  • Social inequality (health disparities, social class, etc.)
Note: Much of the behavioral sciences section will test your data analysis abilities and knowledge of experimental and research design.

Biochemistry (Chemical and Physical Foundations):

• Acids and bases
  • Ions in solutions
  • Separations and purifications of biological molecules
  • Structure, function, and reactivity of biological molecules (Nucleotides, RNA, DNA, AAs, peptides, proteins, lipids, carbs, phenols and other aromatic compounds)
  • Bioenergetics, kinetics, and mechanisms of biological molecules
Biochemistry (Biological and Biochemical Foundations)

• Definition and biological function of biological molecules (AAs, carbs, DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes)
  • Definition and principles of bioenergetics
  • Metabolism (breakdown of glucose, fatty acids, and proteins; citric acid cycle; ox-phos, and hormonal regulation of metabolism)
  • Plasma membrane structure and mechanisms
  • Biosignaling
All of this is just an overview of what AAMC published in their more comprehensive (128 pages) guide to new exam content. But hopefully this will start you off with a better idea of how to focus your studying, especially if you're not using new books.

Are these legit? I'm using TPR Set 2015 and all of the "removed content" are still discussed on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys balancing school and studying for the mcat? How many hours you guys putting in for studying for this test?

How are you guys balancing school and studying for the mcat? How many hours you guys putting in for studying for this test?
I'm mainly just taking it day by day. Right now I'm dividing my week like this: 2 days class, 1 day classwork, 3 days MCAT, 1 day rest/flexible. On days I'm not doing designated MCAT studying I'm still keeping up with my Anki cards and doing MCAT question of the day sites. On MCAT days, I'm studying at least 4 hours, but usually more.

I'm planning on being done with content review at the end of February, giving me 5 weeks of practice time and then 6 weeks dedicated solely to full lengths. I consider myself a little lucky that aside from one course, my semester ends in April so I'll have a few weeks with a lot of extra time and less school related stress at the end.

I'm mainly just taking it day by day. Right now I'm dividing my week like this: 2 days class, 1 day classwork, 3 days MCAT, 1 day rest/flexible. On days I'm not doing designated MCAT studying I'm still keeping up with my Anki cards and doing MCAT question of the day sites. On MCAT days, I'm studying at least 4 hours, but usually more.

I'm planning on being done with content review at the end of February, giving me 5 weeks of practice time and then 6 weeks dedicated solely to full lengths. I consider myself a little lucky that aside from one course, my semester ends in April so I'll have a few weeks with a lot of extra time and less school related stress at the end.
Nice homie. How are you making your flashcards? Anyone else using anki?

Nice homie. How are you making your flashcards? Anyone else using anki?
I make them for just about every fact in Examkrackers. For the most part it is overkill, but I like knowing that I left no stone unturned. I make all my cards cloze deletion and usually just copy the sentence/definition/whatever from the text. I try to add pictures and other facts to the "extra" section that pops up with the answer to give things more context. I cap my reviews at 100/day and my new cards at 20/day. I'm not anywhere near caught up with my new cards, but since I'll have a lot of time between finishing content review and taking the test I'm not worried about it.

Could someone shed some light on this question:

Research has shown that when video and audio recordings of a person speaking are temporally aligned, observers are better able to remember both visual and auditory information about the recordings. By contrast, misaligned recordings cause a severe decline in the ability to remember either visual or auditory information, depending on the individual. The latter finding is an example of:

0 A) sensation.
0 B) an absolute threshold.
0 C) selective attention.
0 D) divided attention.

Ugh I don't know :( I just tried to look up the difference between selective and divided attention and it sounds like selective is taking in multiple things at once while divided is actively participating in more than one thing?

Anyone taken a practice test yet? Just took Kaplan FL 1 and got 500: 123/125/127/125. Oof!

The prep course I'm taking through my university had us take the full-length AAMC Practice Test 1 as homework over the weekend. 508: 126/129/126/127.
Much better than I anticipated and better than other practice tests I've taken (Kaplan, TPR)... I'm half-convinced it was a fluke (*prays: please don't be a fluke*).

Could someone shed some light on this question:

Research has shown that when video and audio recordings of a person speaking are temporally aligned, observers are better able to remember both visual and auditory information about the recordings. By contrast, misaligned recordings cause a severe decline in the ability to remember either visual or auditory information, depending on the individual. The latter finding is an example of:

0 A) sensation.
0 B) an absolute threshold.
0 C) selective attention.
0 D) divided attention.
I would think it's selective because there are mutliple stimuli but you're trying to focus on one. If they are aligned then you will be able to understand them otherwise you won't. Now if it was divided attention you would be able to excute multiple actions while paying attention to multiple stimuli. That is the opposite of what is explained.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know why clustering of nonpolar proteins will result in net increase in entropy of the system?

I know that nonpolar proteins in water/ aqueous soln cause creation of solvation layer which results in decrease in entropy of water molecules due to maximized hydrogen bonding, and this results in increasing in clustering of nonpolar proteins, but how does this clustering cause a net increase in entropy?

Side note: water molecules that are being rearranged to create the solvation layer due to maximized hydrogen bonding, results in decrease in entropy, this is why the overall process of having nonpolar groups of a protein facing the water > unfavorable

Last edited:
Does anyone know why clustering of nonpolar proteins will result in net increase in entropy of the system?

I know that nonpolar proteins in water/ aqueous soln cause creation of solvation layer which results in decrease in entropy of water molecules due to maximized hydrogen bonding, and this results in increasing in clustering of nonpolar proteins, but how does this clustering cause a net increase in entropy?

Side note: water molecules that are being rearranged to create the solvation layer due to maximized hydrogen bonding, results in decrease in entropy, this is why the overall process of having nonpolar groups of a protein facing the water > unfavorable

The hydrogen bonding would actually decrease when a non-polar protein or an oil drop is in water. Because say there's an oil drop in water the water will form a clathrate around the oil drop. The hydrogen bonding in the clathrate formation are oriented in an imperfectly disorderly manner. And this "disorderly manner" are actually an increase in entropy and not a decrease. You need to think about the entire system. Yes the nonpolar proteins are going to cluster and form order but the water molecules are going to become disordered and so the net is an increase in entropy of the system.

Hey guys, quick biochemistry question. Why would noncompetitive inhibition not change the Km of the enzyme? Wouldn't altering the shape (through allosteric regulation) change the affinity of that enzyme for its substrate?

Hey guys, quick biochemistry question. Why would noncompetitive inhibition not change the Km of the enzyme? Wouldn't altering the shape (through allosteric regulation) change the affinity of that enzyme for its substrate?

Because any remaining active enzyme mantains the same affinity for its substrate therefore Km stays unchanged. The Enzyme conformational shape is only altered but the active site remains unchanged. The amino acids in the active sites remain unchanged even after the binding of KI

Saw the Jan. reaction thread. It seems the test is moving towards the section bank direction, so know your stuff pretty well!!!

Hey guys,
Just some motivational words my little gave me earlier as I was having my panic attack!
Don't compare yourself to anyone else! Everyone is different! Your study plan may work for you and not someone else!
Some people succeed by cramming and some by studying daily, some are good test takers and some aren't!
Just because my guy friend who I ran into casually at the gym has already done half the Kaplan set, the Princeton review book and a full length and started last August doesn't mean he will do better than me OR YOU!!!!!!!
#motivational #beyourself!!!

Sincerely,
the MCAT birthday girl!!!!

Because any remaining active enzyme mantains the same affinity for its substrate therefore Km stays unchanged. The Enzyme conformational shape is only altered but the active site remains unchanged. The amino acids in the active sites remain unchanged even after the binding of KI
That makes much more sense than the book I'm using haha. Thank you!

I use Kaplan too but after I reviewed the chapter on TBR they explained why the Km and Vmax reduce for all scenarios. You can supplement your reading with TBR i think their bio book 2 is exceptional. I can't say the same for their Chem and physics because I am getting my butt kicked

Anyone else doing their review one book at a time? I feel like by the time I finish all the books i'm going to forget a lot of information. I may start doing the question packs as soon as I finish a book.

Anyone else doing their review one book at a time? I feel like by the time I finish all the books i'm going to forget a lot of information. I may start doing the question packs as soon as I finish a book.
I'm alternating between different books. I feel like that gives me time to go through my flashcards and notes for the previous chapter before stacking it with new material from the same subject.

On another note.....I somehow didn't realize the Examkrackers books had scaled scores for the 30 minute exams until just now. Assuming those are in any way accurate, I feel significantly better about my MCAT chances compared to last week.

I'm alternating between different books. I feel like that gives me time to go through my flashcards and notes for the previous chapter before stacking it with new material from the same subject.

On another note.....I somehow didn't realize the Examkrackers books had scaled scores for the 30 minute exams until just now. Assuming those are in any way accurate, I feel significantly better about my MCAT chances compared to last week.

What do you mean/what are the 30 minute exams? ( I don't have EK )

Like @Arsenalfcfan1 said, each lecture in the EK books has an accompanying short exam. They have 3 passages with questions and a few discretes. I don't have any idea how relevant they are to the MCAT itself, but I like the format.

I have not looked at them yet but every practice you can get your hands I believe would help in the long run as we continue to prepare.

In experiment A, a student mies ink with water and notices that the two liquids mix evenly. In experiment B, the student mixes oil with water, in this case the liquids separate into two distinct layers. The entropy change is:

A. Positive in A and negative in B
B. Positive in A and zero in B
C. Negative in A and positive in B
D. Zero in A and negative in B

My thinking was A. I see why the dS in ex A is positive since its spreading out. What I don't get is how in experiment B the dS is zero. Wouldn't the oil create less micro states for the water to exist in making it a negative entropy? Essentially why B instead of A?

My thinking was A. I see why the dS in ex A is positive since its spreading out. What I don't get is how in experiment B the dS is zero. Wouldn't the oil create less micro states for the water to exist in making it a negative entropy? Essentially why B instead of A?

I see where you're coming from... the question is asking you to think about the beginning state of the oil and water (before mixing) versus the end state of the oil and water (after mixing is finished; that is, when they are separate).

The dS in experiment B is zero because the oil and water are no more separated/"organized" than they were before mixing; they started out separated and at the end they were still separate. If they were more "organized" than before, the dS would be negative (e.g. if it asked you to compare dS during mixing to dS after mixing).

I see where you're coming from... the question is asking you to think about the beginning state of the oil and water (before mixing) versus the end state of the oil and water (after mixing is finished; that is, when they are separate).

The dS in experiment B is zero because the oil and water are no more separated/"organized" than they were before mixing; they started out separated and at the end they were still separate. If they were more "organized" than before, the dS would be negative (e.g. if it asked you to compare dS during mixing to dS after mixing).

Ahh that makes sense. I swear if wording like that messes me up on the actual MCAT I won't be happy haha.

Finishing my biochem review book today and starting physics tomorrow. I also decided to start doing the Bio Vol. 1 Question pack Monday then reviewing the questions the rest of the week while finishing the physics book. Then the week after this week I start the physics qpack. My schedule now is pretty much qpack on Mondays, then review qpack questions/2 chapters per day in a new book. March 14th will be my first FL at that rate and last being May 2nd. Hopefully this will be enough to get me a 508+ :D Also, if anyone has any CARS material they recommend, let me know. I feel like that will be my worst section.

Mentally committed to taking on this date. I'm retaking from my first MCAT flop in January 2015--excited, nervous, overwhelmed and determined. I already feel so behind that everyone has started content review! The first time I took it, I studied for a solid 4 months and experienced some serious burnout, so I'm going to do February-May on this one. I want to start with biochem and psych since those are the 2 newest subjects and I'm fresh out of both from last semester. Anyone have advice for a diagnostic? I don't know if I want to do a full-length, half-length or even when to do them. Did everyone do some content reviewing beforehand?

Do you guys take notes/summary when you go over the content review books? I feel more confident when I rewrite notes but its time consuming. Any suggestions?