The Official October 25th, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just thought I'd get a thread out there for those of us taking the MCAT on October 25th! Feel free to post how you plan to study, any study tips/tricks you might have or other resources you found helpful that might benefit others. I originally planned on taking the MCAT on July 12th but ended up having to reschedule with the hassle of job hunting. Now that I have a new job lined up, I ended up rescheduling to take it in October instead in getting back on track with studying. Best of luck to everyone taking it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
midway b/w the bio section I had urinate really bad. I know I didn't drink coffee so it wasn't aldosterone that was the culprit. I took plenty of sodium too to retain water in the body. but it deff ruined my focus especially when it was getting hard towwarsd the end
holy **** you are hardcore hahahahahahah

lol I was trying to think mcat while holding in urine. I guess its similar to real medicine. if your a surgeon and if your surgery, the procedure wont stop just because you have to urinate lolz

Even though I peed a lot before the exam and during each break, I still had to pee midway thru bio....it's so hard to analyze genetics when you need to pee

Members don't see this ad :)
lol I was trying to think mcat while holding in urine. I guess its similar to real medicine. if your a surgeon and if your surgery, the procedure wont stop just because you have to urinate lolz
what do you mean? ru saying the nurses dont unzip you??:banana:

Do you guys anticipate spots opening up on the December 6th date once the September and October 21st/25th scores come out?

Or do you anticipate that there will be some cancellations on 11/6 (last date for partial refund) and leading up the exam?

I'm a non-traditional student, probably looking to retake the exam in December. I was going to take a couple of days "off" but resume "light" studying until the 6th. If I can get a date in December that'd be optimum, but a date in January wouldn't be a killer.

I was just able to score a seat for the Dec 6th test in my HOME state, yes Praise God! It was Texas, California, maybe Florida??? some other states, it was only like 6 states total. So go look and secure a seat! Good luck!

Do you guys anticipate spots opening up on the December 6th date once the September and October 21st/25th scores come out?

Or do you anticipate that there will be some cancellations on 11/6 (last date for partial refund) and leading up the exam?

I'm a non-traditional student, probably looking to retake the exam in December. I was going to take a couple of days "off" but resume "light" studying until the 6th. If I can get a date in December that'd be optimum, but a date in January wouldn't be a killer.
I am a NonTrad as well, I have no idea what will show up come Nov 25th, and don't think I would have a marked improvement by Dec 6th... so I got a date for Jan 15th. Here's hoping neither of us need to retake...

I was just able to score a seat for the Dec 6th test in my HOME state, yes Praise God! It was Texas, California, maybe Florida??? some other states, it was only like 6 states total. So go look and secure a seat! Good luck!

Good luck! I found a seat for Jan 15th near me. Hoping I don't need a retake though! If I do, then all of Dec holidays will be prep time!
Those of you looking for seats, check the reg site early in the morning (6 to 6:30 am).

I took the October 21 MCAT. It seems that crazy PS sections are the trend ....
I felt BS was crazy... but I've had short term amnesia following the test, so no idea! I did feel that the whole exam was different from the aamc practice tests i took (which i feel is a good think for me!), but maybe that was just because of the stress....

Last edited:
Based on the exam we had how would you guys prepare differently in case we get a similar exam? AAMC tests?? What? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
midway b/w the bio section I had urinate really bad. I know I didn't drink coffee so it wasn't aldosterone that was the culprit. I took plenty of sodium too to retain water in the body. but it deff ruined my focus especially when it was getting hard towwarsd the end

Step up your game, buy adult diapers. That's a 30+ MCAT strategy everyone knows about.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I am of the camp where if I didn't score well enough, then I'll probably just take the 2015 version instead. But @yane4000 I definitely had a few. The worst thing is that everyone keeps asking how I did, and it honestly is really hard to say. I guess with November 25th, we'll all know for better or worse.

I think I am of the camp where if I didn't score well enough, then I'll probably just take the 2015 version instead. But @yane4000 I definitely had a few. The worst thing is that everyone keeps asking how I did, and it honestly is really hard to say. I guess with November 25th, we'll all know for better or worse.
I hate it when people ask how I did. Not only do I not know, what if I did know and I failed it (very likely senario given how hard this version of the exam was)? lol awkward....

Does anyone know how medical schools would compare your scores if you took both the old and the new versions of MCAT? I'm planning to take the new version if I can't find a seat to retake the old version...

Is there a connection between aldosterone and coffee?
Taking excessive salt for the purpose of not urinating isn't that smart.
what do you mean? ru saying the nurses dont unzip you??:banana:

Please respect the Nursing profession.

***edit grammar

Last edited:
Does anyone know how medical schools would compare your scores if you took both the old and the new versions of MCAT? I'm planning to take the new version if I can't find a seat to retake the old version...

My guess is that they would simply use the percentile score, ie 30 is about an 80th percentile, so if you got 90th percentile on the new test, they would judge you based on that.

Anyone sign up to retake in Jan? I've been lacking the motivation to study again..been procrastinating by cleaning the whole house.

I, too, was present for the tragedy that was the MCAT of 25 October 2014. I also thought the PS section was as hard as everyone else did, and more conceptual than the AAMC practice tests. I know for a fact I missed at least 2, probably at least 3, probably way more than that. VR didn't really seem too different from the AAMC practice tests. BS was similar to AAMC 11 and biology-heavy.

Waiting for the scores is really, really terrible, particularly with the added pressure of no seats left for retakes.

Yes it's annoying when everyone keeps asking how I did. I keep telling everyone I think I did well,I hope I'm not jinxing it! *fingers crossed*

For some of us, we didn't take the MCAT. The MCAT took us. The shell of a human being it left behind is forever changed, and not for the better.

When we arrived back home, our peers said "Hey, you survived the MCAT!" I responded "Who said I survived?" The old Doug is dead, and the autopsy showed lethal aggregates formed of PS conceptual questions in his brain.

(I'm just kidding, but waiting for your scores feels this way at times.)

Reactions: 4 users
not sure if this is allowed but I am trying to get rid of all my mcat books that I used I have so much. if anyone is taking the mcat again before the change and needs books I can give it to u for an extremely good price. pm me thanks

I was having a dream, and in this dream i was about to check my mcat scores then my roommate wakes me up. Needless to say i have moved out of the apartment, and he is dead to me. That kind of behavior is just not acceptable §

Do you guys think maybe in light of the holiday season AAMC would spread holiday cheer and give our MCAT scores early and add extra points?

I've been trying to keep myself busy because I felt this MCAT chewed, spit, and stomped on me. Every single time I'm at work (I'm a RN working with developmentally disabled patients and as a RN in an ambulance) and I see doctors in the hospital/clinic, I get reminded again of how much I want to be one.

I'm trying to be positive, but this past week I keep getting nightmares about scoring a 0 on all sections. Also, for some strange reason in my nightmare, I see myself at work in the hospital staring at the doctors as long as I can, smelling their white coat, and sitting in their office chair when they are on break. I think this whole process is making me crazy. 13 more days...

Reactions: 2 users
I've been trying to keep myself busy because I felt this MCAT chewed, spit, and stomped on me. Every single time I'm at work (I'm a RN working with developmentally disabled patients and as a RN in an ambulance) and I see doctors in the hospital/clinic, I get reminded again of how much I want to be one.

I'm trying to be positive, but this past week I keep getting nightmares about scoring a 0 on all sections. Also, for some strange reason in my nightmare, I see myself at work in the hospital staring at the doctors as long as I can, smelling their white coat, and sitting in their office chair when they are on break. I think this whole process is making me crazy. 13 more days...

Well you can't get 0 on all sections..though I think it's possible to get 1/1/1 for which I had nightmares about. Now, I'm just suffering insomnia. I'm signed up for a retake in Jan because the test was just that brutal. Hard to find motivation to continue studying when all I want is to take some time off but seeing that Jan is the last time we can take the current mcat, there is no break.

Well you can't get 0 on all sections..though I think it's possible to get 1/1/1 for which I had nightmares about. Now, I'm just suffering insomnia. I'm signed up for a retake in Jan because the test was just that brutal. Hard to find motivation to continue studying when all I want is to take some time off but seeing that Jan is the last time we can take the current mcat, there is no break.
I've been checking on the available dates for January but no dates are available. I was even considering of going to Guam to take the exam.

I was able to score a January 8th test date a few days ago. Granted it is a six hour drive from my house but better than flying to Guam!!! I had been checking every day since the mcat. My advice to anyone looking for a seat, (now that I have one and can give away my secrets) is to check in the morning between 5:00 and 6:30 am central time. Every time I checked there were always seats available but nothing that fit my schedule. Hopefully we all get our scores back and I won't need the test date anyways! Highly unlikely though seeing as how I have never felt dumber in my life than when I walked out of the test. This waiting is literally about to make me insane....

I was able to score a January 8th test date a few days ago. Granted it is a six hour drive from my house but better than flying to Guam!!! I had been checking every day since the mcat. My advice to anyone looking for a seat, (now that I have one and can give away my secrets) is to check in the morning between 5:00 and 6:30 am central time. Every time I checked there were always seats available but nothing that fit my schedule. Hopefully we all get our scores back and I won't need the test date anyways! Highly unlikely though seeing as how I have never felt dumber in my life than when I walked out of the test. This waiting is literally about to make me insane....
Thanks for the advice. I will check if there is an available spot on those times that you mentioned.

Also, just check repeatedly throughout the day. After our test, I stalked the registration site for 4 days until I finally got a seat on Jan 8 that was like 250 miles away from me. Then yesterday I got really lucky and scored one near me for the 10th so don't give up. Plus, people will cancel as we get closer to the date.

I'm sorry im a little late on this. I took the 10/25 MCAT and i'm predicting 11+ on the sciences as i thought they were pretty manageable. The verbal on the other hand... lol. While the passages were interesting and easy reads (no breaks in concentration), the questions (I felt) were challenging. On the AAMC's the lowest i've ever scored on verbal was an 8, and i've been hitting 9's and 10's more often than not. Less than a week to go and i'm a nervous wreck :(

Shortly after taking the MCAT: After the pure horror I endured, I soon realized for certain there could be no just God that would allow such an experience to come upon a creature he created in his own likeness.

Now: God, I'm sorry I doubted you all these years. please forgive my sins.

There are no atheists logged into the AAMC website the day the scores come back. I remember reading some medical ethics article about religion being comforting in times of tremendous distress.

There are no atheists logged into the AAMC website the day the scores come back. I remember reading some medical ethics article about religion being comforting in times of tremendous distress.

You're so right. It only took some nightmares and a brutal exam by the name of MCAT to get me to start praying and hoping there is a god somewhere after 10 years of not praying and believing. I bet the number of atheists dwindled even more the day aamc opened up "limited" seat.

Shortly after taking the MCAT: After the pure horror I endured, I soon realized for certain there could be no just God that would allow such an experience to come upon a creature he created in his own likeness.

Now: God, I'm sorry I doubted you all these years. please forgive my sins.

You're so right. It only took some nightmares and a brutal exam by the name of MCAT to get me to start praying and hoping there is a god somewhere after 10 years of not praying and believing. I bet the number of atheists dwindled even more the day aamc opened up "limited" seat.

If such an entity exists, the lord almighty, creator of the universe, is not concerned with your MCAT score.

People are really self-centered.

If such an almighty lord exists, he certainly made sure some people are squares.

BURN.gif