**The Official Personal Statement Guide and PS Readers List **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you all need people to read your essays I strongly encourage you to take a look at the thread which has a list of readers on there and PM people. We don't look at this thread often but we will respond if you PM us off the list individually.

Furthermore, I would not encourage anyone to post their personal statement for everyone to see on a thread like this because someone could easily plagiarize your essay and take ideas from it for their own essay and you don't know who is out there trolling these forums.

Thanks.

If you need help I'm willing to help as I've written a personal statement before and reviewed many many many more between the last couple of years and this past year so far..

Members don't see this ad.

If you all need people to read your essays I strongly encourage you to take a look at the thread which has a list of readers on there and PM people. We don't look at this thread often but we will respond if you PM us off the list individually.

Furthermore, I would not encourage anyone to post their personal statement for everyone to see on a thread like this because someone could easily plagiarize your essay and take ideas from it for their own essay and you don't know who is out there trolling these forums.

Thanks.

If you need help I'm willing to help as I've written a personal statement before and reviewed many many many more between the last couple of years and this past year so far..
The thread that gujudoc referred to can be found on the first page of this thread and also via the link below:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=396868

The complete and up-to-date list can always be found in the first post of that thread.

Again, please PM or e-mail specific individuals and do not post requests for readers in that thread. Most readers do not browse it regularly.

i'm trying to decide whether or not to briefly mention some psychiatric issues i struggled with in undergrad, for the sole purpose of discussing my father (who has battled with bipolar DO my whole life) as a function of my initial interest in psychiatry. is this a red flag bad idea?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm trying to decide whether or not to briefly mention some psychiatric issues i struggled with in undergrad, for the sole purpose of discussing my father (who has battled with bipolar DO my whole life) as a function of my initial interest in psychiatry. is this a red flag bad idea?

thanks!
I would suggest against it. Some of the old guard might be put off by an applicant who has a history of psychiatric problems. Others might stigmatize you and doubt your dedication to finish med school with an MD.

It might just be better to tell your father's story without mentioning your own issues.

I would suggest against it. Some of the old guard might be put off by an applicant who has a history of psychiatric problems. Others might stigmatize you and doubt your dedication to finish med school with an MD.

It might just be better to tell your father's story without mentioning your own issues.

i agree, but the only reason i'm tempted to mention it in the first place is b/c it may help explain a discrepancy in grades (and 2 withdrawals). my GPA for jr-sr years is like 3.85; but only 3.45 overall. Not really sure how to discuss the wide grade range w/o bringing up what was going on in my life??
(of course i also suffer from a chronic illness, but you better believe it didn't work in my favor- so to speak- for the better part of undergrad...the two years following however, is a completely diff story!!).

You might want to mention it then. The larger issue would be whether an explanation of your grades can be incorporated seamlessly into your PS. If adcoms notice the fluctuation, you'll want to mention it but you don't want to draw attention to your grades if they haven't noticed it.

Your overall GPA still seems fine but if those terms are really a mess, I say mention it. Go ahead and start writing and see if you can write it in a way that doesn't sound too personal. Have others read it too and they might be able to offer advice on how to package that section.

Good luck!!

You might want to mention it then. The larger issue would be whether an explanation of your grades can be incorporated seamlessly into your PS. If adcoms notice the fluctuation, you'll want to mention it but you don't want to draw attention to your grades if they haven't noticed it.

Your overall GPA still seems fine but if those terms are really a mess, I say mention it. Go ahead and start writing and see if you can write it in a way that doesn't sound too personal. Have others read it too and they might be able to offer advice on how to package that section.

Good luck!!

thanks for the advice.. much appreciated :)

Can someone tell me how to use a doctor's name within my personal statement. I would hate to refer a fake name, and don't want the real name in there. It will be used initially in a story where the doctor's name is said a few times, and not like a "I did reasearch with Dr. Smith". Its not easy for me to decide.

Can someone tell me how to use a doctor's name within my personal statement. I would hate to refer a fake name, and don't want the real name in there. It will be used initially in a story where the doctor's name is said a few times, and not like a "I did reasearch with Dr. Smith". Its not easy for me to decide.

Dr. S.

Thanks for the comments all. That was actually a brand new essay I wrote, and that helped me decide on what to use. Excellent comments, though.

Ok, I've finished my first complete draft of my personal statement (after five other incomplete drafts) and I'm 700 characters over :thumbdown:. I need someone to read my PS and help me cut the fat in my PS and give it a good grinding.

Any late night SDN'ers want to read my personal statement for orginality and content. If you are good with words, I wouldn't mind some editing either.

Just private message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there is anyone out there who has the time to review a PS I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot. Really I mean it...just pm me or something

Ok, I finally got my PS down to 5,296 characters. I'd really like someone to read it.

I've had some people PM already, but I just wanted to say that I want someone who has been here a while to read my PS. I'm a little suspicious of persons with only a few posts and recent registration who offer to read my PS.

I'm open to read a few more PSs. Applied last year so dont worry about me stealing your ideas ;)

I'm having trouble with one paragraph of the PS. At my first university, I withdrew with a 1.17, then got an associates degree, and then went to another university (where I am now) for a Bio degree. I overloaded with science classes at first and screwed myself - but my GPA has been increasing since. I still won't be terribly competitive, but there's an upward trend. My problem is that I feel I should explain that and some of the circumstances behind my GPA in the PS (right?), but it's rather, you know, negative. This is what I've got:

The ride to medical school hasn’t been easy for me, though I know I'm now ready for the challenge. After performing well in high school honor classes without much effort, I wasn’t prepared for college and I struggled the first two years; as visibly seen in my transcripts, it wasn’t until I entered York County Community College that I was able to succeed, graduating with an associate's degree in accounting and a 3.43 GPA. The rigor of the accounting classes were still nothing like the science classes I soon faced at the University of Southern Maine, and it’s only been within the past year that I’ve been able to get a good handle on how to approach college-level science classes. In fact, this past semester was a huge challenge, with multiple weather closings, power outages, and a gigantic storm that resulted in houses on my street actually being pulled into the ocean. My focus on school and time-management enabled me to persevere through it, even studying by candlelight, and I obtained my highest regular semester GPA at USM. I’m now secure in my capability to excel and thrive in both science classes and the medical field.

Thoughts?

I'm having trouble with one paragraph of the PS. At my first university, I withdrew with a 1.17, then got an associates degree, and then went to another university (where I am now) for a Bio degree. I overloaded with science classes at first and screwed myself - but my GPA has been increasing since. I still won't be terribly competitive, but there's an upward trend. My problem is that I feel I should explain that and some of the circumstances behind my GPA in the PS (right?), but it's rather, you know, negative. This is what I've got:

Thoughts?

Take out the "as visibly seen in my transcripts" part. That's unnecessary. And I don't see how "acts of God" relate to medicine? The happen to all of us. I know you're trying to say that the semester has been tough for you, but you need to view it from another angle to get what you want to say heard correctly.

I was mostly just trying to say that I've become more able to persevere through things that would have thrown me in past semesters/years, and it's always better to give a concrete example.

Would anyone be willing to read my preliminary version of a PS? I need to get this done and perfected within a week before I leave on a trip! Please PM me if you can help :)

Hi! So I'm getting cold feet- I've had a couple of people read my statement and tell me that I'm good to go, but everyone who's read it already knows me.

I'd really appreciate a perfect stranger weighing in before I submit!!!!

Thanks!

Hey, I have asked my friends (accepted for next year) and advisor to read my essay, and they said it's well written. I need another pair of fresh eyes to read my PS and give me one last sound feedbacks. Please please PM me!!!! Thank you :D

Hey, I have asked my friends (accepted for next year) and advisor to read my essay, and they said it's well written. I need another pair of fresh eyes to read my PS and give me one last sound feedbacks. Please please PM me!!!! Thank you :D

Send it to me and I'll read it and the other p.s. I have left to review.

K just PMed you :D thanks again for offering your help!

I just PMed you back but essentially I'd say that I agree with the other people who said it was well written. Don't think it need reworking of any nature. Turn in your apps early and good luck with MCAT scores.

I just PMed you back but essentially I'd say that I agree with the other people who said it was well written. Don't think it need reworking of any nature. Turn in your apps early and good luck with MCAT scores.
:) I am having THE talk with my parents tonight before I hit "Submit" Thank you for your feedback and help :D

I'd really appreciate any reader that's not applying in this cycle that can help me out since I've just finished what I hope is my final draft that will go out on friday or saturday, I've pmed a ton of people, and if anyone else who isnt applying this cycle sees this, please pm me as my essay's pretty unconventional and I want all the opinions I can get.

in the general AMCAS essay answering the question "why do you want to go to medical school?" should I express my interest in MD/PhD?

how short is too short for the personal statement?
like what number of characters does it become apparent that the applicant really should have used the extra space?
5000? 4500?
For those of you now under the limit, how long are they?

how short is too short for the personal statement?
like what number of characters does it become apparent that the applicant really should have used the extra space?
5000? 4500?
For those of you now under the limit, how long are they?
Mine's ~4800. LizzyM said that the adcoms get concerned if the PS is half-length. They appreciate brevity, though. I guess just be concise and don't say more than you need to to get your point across.

Alrighty guys, thanks to kevster, my PS is looking much better now. I just need a second opinion now preferably from someone not applying this cycle and who has been on SDN for a while.

Thanks a bunch!

another quick question, the amcas thing says i shouldnt have any formatting at all and to use a .txt program like notepad, have any of you guys had success just copying and pasting out of wordpad, msword, and msworks or is it a must to do it out of notepad?

if it shows up ok on print application does that mean it's completely fine for submission?

Great advice guys, I am working on my personal statement and many of the stuff you mentioned are really helpful.

another quick question, the amcas thing says i shouldnt have any formatting at all and to use a .txt program like notepad, have any of you guys had success just copying and pasting out of wordpad, msword, and msworks or is it a must to do it out of notepad?

if it shows up ok on print application does that mean it's completely fine for submission?

Since this is the most important essay of your life, print it out and MANUALLY type it into the box. Avoids all copy & paste crap and stuff from formatting.

Be willing to take the extra time because once you hit that submit button, it's out of your hands!

Okay, a week ago I PMed two people from the list of willing AMCAS PS readers (I have not gotten any response whatsoever). Wednesday night, I PMed three more people from the list (no response of any kind yet), my roommate, my little sister, and a former psychologist (again, nothing from anyone). Is there some way to attach documents to a personal message that I've missed (if so, I am a *****; ignore the rest of this longwinded, pathetic plea)? Should I just copy and paste the text of the essay into a PM?

I fully realize that people are very, very busy. Really, I understand that it takes a while to carefully look over an essay and that I'm being impatient. I want to submit my AMCAS application. I wanted to submit it by the end of this week, but that's not happening. I REALLY want to submit it sometime next week... The longer I wait, the more my chances of getting into medical school decrease (hopefully, not TOO dramatically). Really, I blame myself for not doing this sooner.

I particularly value the opinions of people on the forum, as many of you have written and reviewed AMCAS personal statements and have a sense of what these essays should be like. Again, I know that everyone is busy and I realize that my essay needs a LOT of work (the essay is 2000 characters too long... I'm naive if I think that I can finish by Monday). Well, I can't waste any more time. Please, if anyone is willing to read my personal statement and give me ANY feedback (one sentence, one word, ANYTHING), I would greatly appreciate it. Please... I'm desperate.

I've PMed five different people from the list and have received no responses. I know that people are busy, but I'm only waiting on this and making sure I can get my committee LOR by the end of the summer to apply. I've practically got the thing memorized and can't stand to look at it anymore.

Therefore, I've attached it to this thread and hope that some of you that have been successful in applying to med school can take the time to read it. It's at just under 4500 characters and a regular word doc.

I've PMed five different people from the list and have received no responses. I know that people are busy, but I'm only waiting on this and makin
\\snip

I'll be applying this cycle too, so my advice isn't from a admissions process veteran but I've got some feedback. I'd consider opening from a different direction. Using E.R. the television show as your first exposure to medicine really ISN'T exposure to medicine. I'm not saying I (and probably just about everyone else applying FTM) don't think watching TV shows about medicine didn't spark some interest in me, but I really think adcoms are just going to be turned off immediately. Maybe you could start with your first real-life experience in medicine? Or what drew you back to medicine after you got your accounting degree?

Also, I think devoting your entire third paragraph to explaining your grade difficulties might be a little much. It's good to acknowledge/explain that you had problems adjusting to college, but giving it a full paragraph spotlight might be drawing more attention to it than is needed.

I've PMed five different people from the list and have received no responses. I know that people are busy, but I'm only waiting on this and making sure I can get my committee LOR by the end of the summer to apply. I've practically got the thing memorized and can't stand to look at it anymore.

Therefore, I've attached it to this thread and hope that some of you that have been successful in applying to med school can take the time to read it. It's at just under 4500 characters and a regular word doc.

im just passing by here and came upon your essay - i really liked it. you sounded very sincere and it was very enjoyable reading (george clooney, harvesting, the difficulty you had with the power outages). i especially like the ending - the kumbaya part - somewhat amusing yet honest. good luck. :thumbup: i think you are good to go.

oh and im applying this round so not a veteran either...but i kinda disagree with mongrel. i think it's ok to start with how ER spurred your interest in medicine, if that is the truth. there is no need to try to avoid beginning your essay this way because of what adcoms might think. besides, i can relate to that and it sounds sincere. in the end, i think it's not really what your reason is for wanting to enter the field (because there are only so many overused reasons already) but how you state it and i think you did a convincing enough job.

I keep a blog, and I just wrote a new entry that when I reread - I realized it probably should be my personal statement. I'm not applying to next June, but is anyone willing to read my probable personal statement, and let me know if this is something I should hold on to and tweak? Please send me a private message, as I don't want to post my PS out for the general public to read...(veterans already in, please). I know I sound protective, but hey - we all should be!

:thumbup:

I think it's a very solid essay overall. I'm still on the fence about using ER as your opener, but it is still relevant to your essay.

Now, as for my actual nit-picking:

Because of my fascination with ER, I knew that all it would have taken for her to have full mobility was a simple operation

That's a rather bold statement. I do not think you can credibly say that because you watched ER, you knew what kind of care this woman required and if it was simple at all. I would tone it down a bit.

but even the hospitals aren't the mecca of hope and wellness to the sick that they are in the US

Although Bulgaria may certainly have worse health care than the U.S., I highly doubt that people who frequent hospitals in the U.S. would describe U.S. hospitals as a "Mecca of hope". If you have an experience to back up your statement, I would include it, otherwise you need to tone down the hyperbole.

The following fall and spring, I spent time volunteering at a free clinic and working at a local daycare. The dichotomy (incorrect word to use given the context; the word you're looking for seems to be discrepancy) between the two groups was severe, but even the patients who often waited until they had no other choice than to go see a doctor at the free clinic had a better standard of care than those in Bulgaria. From that point on, I determined that I was going to spend my life trying to make others’ lives better. That’s why I went to Thailand to help with the relief effort. That’s why I’m part of the ONE campaign, why I follow the news about the genocide in Darfur. It’s more than being a decent human. I want to help them, want to make life easier for those who haven’t had the opportunities that I have had in the US; I want to alleviate their pain, fix their scrapes, mend broken bones, feed them, immunize them, make them more whole in any way I can. It’s why I want to be a doctor. That's what I want to learn, what I can only learn in medical school.

This entire paragraph has me confused. You initially make references to Bulgaria in the prior paragraph, then compare a free clinic to a daycare, and then compare the free clinic to Bulgaria. First of all, the comparison of a free clinic to a daycare seem rather illogical since their functions are quite different. You don't establish how the "dichotomy between the two [is] different", but rather just state it to be. If you know of a way to properly relate the two, then keep it, but otherwise your statement is kind of inane. Next, you immediately jump to the conclusion that you want to spend your life making others' lives better and then you list things you did that justify this conclusion. I think the order of these statements needs to be rearranged such that you state your activities in Thailand, etc. and then say that due to your satisfactory experiences in these activities, you came to the conclusion that you want to spend the rest of your life making others' lives better. Your following statement, "I want to help them, want to make life easier for those who haven’t had the opportunities that I have had in the US", warrants an explicit statement of your intentions. So one of your main goals as a doctor is to assist in international efforts? This makes your prior statement about the U.S. Health care system (or at least I think that's what you were trying to get at with the discussion of the free clinic) even more irrelevant to this paragraph. Next, your list of intentions, "I want to alleviate their pain, fix their scrapes, mend broken bones, feed them, immunize them, make them more whole in any way I can. It’s why I want to be a doctor.", seems kind of excessive as it can be easily summed up into much fewer words. It appears to be just filler. Also, the order of the last two statements: "It’s why I want to be a doctor. That's what I want to learn, what I can only learn in medical school." needs to be changed given your prior listing of intentions. The last sentence needs to come first (assuming "that" refers to the scrapes, broken bones, etc.). Actually, both those sentences say exactly the same thing so choose one and throw out the other. You could keep both by changing "that" into something less vague, but I think it would just become more filler.

The ride to medical school hasn’t been easy for me, though I know I'm now ready for the challenge (I think you can take this out; it isn't necessary to have the conclusion of your paragraph in your topic sentence; it's up to you. I think it's unnecessary). After performing well in high school honor classes without much effort, I wasn’t prepared for college and I struggled the first two years; it wasn’t until I entered York County Community College (Since I don't have the other parts of your transcript, I'm confused by the order of events here. Did you go to a traditional university, withdraw, and then go to a community college?) that I was able to succeed, graduating with an associate's degree in accounting and a 3.43 GPA. The rigor (What specific rigor? You're taking it for granted that accounting classes are rigorous) of accounting classes better prepared me for the science classes I soon faced at the University of Southern Maine, and once I learned to balance school, work and family obligations, my grades began to rise. My focus on school and time-management enabled me to persevere through a huge challenge this past semester: multiple power outages and a gigantic storm that resulted in houses on my street actually being pulled into the ocean. I even studied by candlelight. I’m now secure in my capability to excel and thrive in both science classes and the medical field (Strong conclusion, but weak supporting arguments. I think it's a rather large extrapolation to assume that because you know how to study that you will do well in the medical field. You need to justify your statement more and explain why you think perseverance will help you in the medical field, ideally by recounting a personal experience.).

I was drawn early in high school to the field of medicine because of “ER,” and traveling internationally has led me to not only realize but experience the horrible medical conditions present elsewhere (Once again, I think you need to state whether your intentions are to pursue international medicine, medicine locally, or a blend of the two. It's unknown to me even up to this point.). I don't have a vision of a healthy world holding hands singing Kumbaya, but I have a vision where my abilities as a doctor can help save and heal, one patient at a time. (I like your whimsical ending).

Overall, I think you have a very good idea in what you want to say in your essay, but you really need to fix your presentation. I understand there is a strict word limit, but do not make statements that you have no intention of backing up unless you are absolutely sure it is a given. Also, remove all contractions (i.e. couldn't, shouldn't, I'm, etc.).

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the responses! I've incorporated changes where I can.

Midn, yes, I went to a regular university, then a comm. college, and then back to a (different) university. Since the adcoms will have my transcripts, I'm assuming that part will make more sense.

ok I'm the new guy who wants opinions on his AMCAS PS.
Briefly my story:
Re-applying; still on 3 waitlists but the prospects don't look good. Got plenty of interviews but clearly did not apply broadly enough as my #s are average 30 Mcat 3.66 GPA,

if anyone is willing then pm me and I will try pm-ing some of the listed readers

Hey could someone read mine real quick? I'll PM it to you.

I just pmed you, we can swap

is there anyone out there bored and want to give me some feedback on my ps? i've been trying to contact people on the PS list but no one has been responding. i'd really really really appreciate any feedback i can get.

ive been working on my ps, anyone want to swap personal statement's
i need a honest critique

can someone help me reword a paragraph? I can send it now. i will appreciate it. thanks

woodhorse PM me, give me some time to get back to you

Status
Not open for further replies.