**The Official Personal Statement Guide and PS Readers List **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I tried searching but didn't find an answer, so hopefully one of you know:

Is it a HIPAA/patient confidentiality issue if I mention details about a patient in my personal statement? By details I mean living situation, etc., that's relevant to their recovery. If I understand this correctly, I need to mention in my 15 experiences the names of doctors I've shadowed and such, and that's why I am concerned about mentioning this in the PS.

Thank you!

I work for a physician handling his medical records and am HIPAA certified. It's alright to mention a patient's condition as long as you don't disclose anything that can identify them (name, what they look like, ID number, etc... not that you would disclose their ID number anyway). So, it would be ok to say something like:

"I worked with a cerebral palsy patient who needed constant attention at home. It was an enriching experience..."

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed in a 3rd world country and the doctor taught me how to give an injection - which I was hesitant about at first but he said there were no laws about that kind of stuff there and it was legal and okay. Still, would it be a bad idea to talk about that in a PS?

I did not see this answered and I am in a similar situation. I ended up giving shots and taking blood. Any help here?

Someone asked a couple months ago what was considered bad grades that should be explained in the PS.

The advice was:

C's and below.

My question is: I got a C+ in first quarter Gen Chemistry freshman year. My lowest grade. I've since been out of school for 8 years, and my post-baccs were all As including O-Chem, GPA about 3.8 overall. I wasn't going to comment on the C+, since the next quarters I got A- both times... and it seems really insignificant... anyone want to sound in on this?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could take a look at my essay? I barely got a first draft done. =( I spent many hours on it, though the final result probably doesn't look like it. I would appreciate any comments you may have. Thank you!

Anyway, I've been out of school for 3 years to add a tad bit of background.

View attachment JS-AMCAS-PS.doc

Great start IJohn! I think you have all of the right ideas and are showing yourself to be thoughtful and compassionate! I PMed you with some thoughts about how you might better frame your discussion of social justice!

I've been working on my personal statement on and off for the past several months. Is there somebody that would be willing to read it for me, please? I know it needs more work, but I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks!

Hey. I finished my PS. i think its my final draft... I really like it, but a little feedback doesnt hurt. Does anyone feel like reading?

Hey guys,

So I have a question about mentioning a desire/lean towards a specialty ( in my case surgery). Is it ok to do this in a personal statement? I have heard from some that it could limit my chances at some schools if they dont need anymore surgeons or dont usually graduate many surgeons. Does anyone have some real evidence of this? I didnt think it would hurt my chances since it is only what I am leaning towards and obviously nothing I have 100% locked into. Thanks for the help guys!

need another pair of eyes...hoping mine is good enough for submission..i get so much conflicting responses...it's driving me nuts and making me more and more insecure about it...pm me please
thanks.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could take a look at my essay? I barely got a first draft done. =( I spent many hours on it, though the final result probably doesn't look like it. I would appreciate any comments you may have. Thank you!

Anyway, I've been out of school for 3 years to add a tad bit of background.

View attachment 8358

omg! i handed out those vita-gummies in mexico, too! it took everything we could do to remind them to only eat ONE A DAY! i love your ps...you seem to have your heart in the right place. good luck!

I work for a physician handling his medical records and am HIPAA certified. It's alright to mention a patient's condition as long as you don't disclose anything that can identify them (name, what they look like, ID number, etc... not that you would disclose their ID number anyway). So, it would be ok to say something like:

"I worked with a cerebral palsy patient who needed constant attention at home. It was an enriching experience..."

No name? How about "Maria, hispanic woman in her forties"? Is that too much info?
thanks!

Same question, is it not okay to put in a first name, especially if it is a fairly common first name, like "Kim?" Is it okay to change the name and use it?

Would anyone be willing to read my personal statement if I send it to them. I'd like a critical eye to if it really speaks to the reader or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those that want their personal statement read, there is actually a thread that lists email addresses and info of people that are willing to read. you may find more luck there.

Someone asked a couple months ago what was considered bad grades that should be explained in the PS.

The advice was:

My question is: I got a C+ in first quarter Gen Chemistry freshman year. My lowest grade. I've since been out of school for 8 years, and my post-baccs were all As including O-Chem, GPA about 3.8 overall. I wasn't going to comment on the C+, since the next quarters I got A- both times... and it seems really insignificant... anyone want to sound in on this?

Thanks for the input!

You don't need to go into the very specifics because that is for the secondaries. What yu need to do is make it brief and concise. For instance, my former MCAt instructor's personal statement talked about his low 2.23 GPA which had resulted from a bad start in college and how he went into the Navy due to a lack of options and it made him learn self discipline to get his act together. Of course he put it more eloquently. But my point is you onl need a few lines to make mention of it.

"My question is: I got a C+ in first quarter Gen Chemistry freshman year. My lowest grade. I've since been out of school for 8 years, and my post-baccs were all As including O-Chem, GPA about 3.8 overall. I wasn't going to comment on the C+, since the next quarters I got A- both times... and it seems really insignificant... anyone want to sound in on this? "

Not an expert on this by any means (I'm just navigating this process like everyone else) but I would say if it's just one C+, leave it out. Adcoms may very well not notice it since your overall GPA is good, and you certainly don't want to call attention to an isolated incident like this in the PS, which is where you need to shine. My mantra when it comes to essays in general, is to keep things positive. Don't help the reader to form a bad impression of you...

for those that want their personal statement read, there is actually a thread that lists email addresses and info of people that are willing to read. you may find more luck there.
For those of you looking for PS readers, this is the list that was created for 2008.

Some of the readers are being bombarded, though, so you may be looking at increased turnaround time by some of the busier readers.

Same question, is it not okay to put in a first name, especially if it is a fairly common first name, like "Kim?" Is it okay to change the name and use it?

I don't know about putting actual names, but I know you can put, "I met K. while working in the ER..."

Even if it's a common name, the people you've come in contact with can be traced, and how many Kim's do you know that were in the ER at the same time as you?

I'd say you should go for the fake name, although I'm already imagining a reader looking at your essay thinking that it's the patient's real name....don't risk it. Just go for K.

I know that there are two schools of thought on this one, but I'd figure I'd ask the masses: should I include a piece about personal hardship? I don't want to sound whiny but I really grew up when my dad went to jail and my mom declared bankruptcy.

I know people have talked about this, but I would like some suggestions specifically to my situation.

So I started college as a Biomedical Engineering major, and took the pre-engineering classes till the first semester of Soph year. I didn't really like the classes and I was just doing some B quality of work. However, in my 1st semester general bio class, I got a D-, partially due to 4 science classes at once, and partially because lack of interest in the class.

However, I switched my major to Health and Humanity and did a lot better grades-wise after that. And I also repeated the general bio class and got an A.

My overall GPA: 3.363
Science: 3.14

So my questions are:
1. Should I mention the D- or just talk about not doing well in general?
2. Should I mention the change in major or not?

Thank you very much!

In reading thru this thread, I see that a common "cliche" to avoid is the illness/death of a family member or friend. While I understand this and realize you don't want to bring emotion into it in terms of making the reader feel bad, it's something that I can't really avoid.

I was first attracted to medicine early in highschool while one of my best friends was suffering thru leukemia. I started college as a pre-med but got off track for various reasons and started work in the health care consulting world after school. It wasn't until 2 years ago when my father got sick that my journey came "full circle" to the point where I was ready to recommit myself and have been in a post-bacc program the past two years.

Is there a way to convey this type of information without sounding "cliche" or making readers feel guilty when that is certainly not my intention??

The problem with these stories is that you aren't in the actual tale. You see someone fall ill and you see someone suffer but you aren't in the story. One way to avoid the cliche, I think, would be to say what you did for your friend/your Dad. If you can't say that you researched their disease, that you talked to the doctors, that you took care of their medication or convinced them to seek treatment when they were reluctant, then the story is unhelpful because the story fails to be about you.

Another suggestion is to not make the PS's theme about your friend's/Dad's illness. Use the facts as a means to an end--to prove your compassion or your interest in learning about medicine--and not about wanting to be a doctor to cure the diseases that have struck loved ones.

One more thing! Don't start the PS off with your friend's illness or your Dad's illness. Fit the stories deeper into your PS. Starting out with illnesses is more cliche than mentioning them to support a thesis. If you insist on mentioning it in the introduction, mention it again later on. Nothing is more irritating in statements that use family members than when they mention the person in the intro and then never mention them again. You're kinda like... wtf happened to the person? Thought they were important.

Are we supposed to indent paragraphs in AMCAS? I assumed that we were, but one of my reviewers took away the indentations...

Hey guys,

So I have a question about mentioning a desire/lean towards a specialty ( in my case surgery). Is it ok to do this in a personal statement? I have heard from some that it could limit my chances at some schools if they dont need anymore surgeons or dont usually graduate many surgeons. Does anyone have some real evidence of this? I didnt think it would hurt my chances since it is only what I am leaning towards and obviously nothing I have 100% locked into. Thanks for the help guys!

If you did your clinical experience in an OR or shadowed a surgeon, you probably could mention an interest. I would avoid mentioning interest in a specialty unless you've had direct experience in that field.

In reading thru this thread, I see that a common "cliche" to avoid is the illness/death of a family member or friend. While I understand this and realize you don't want to bring emotion into it in terms of making the reader feel bad, it's something that I can't really avoid.

I was first attracted to medicine early in highschool while one of my best friends was suffering thru leukemia. I started college as a pre-med but got off track for various reasons and started work in the health care consulting world after school. It wasn't until 2 years ago when my father got sick that my journey came "full circle" to the point where I was ready to recommit myself and have been in a post-bacc program the past two years.

Is there a way to convey this type of information without sounding "cliche" or making readers feel guilty when that is certainly not my intention??

You won't make the readers feel guilty. These people are doctors and have likely seen it all. If an illness/death in the family is a reason for wanting to go to med school, then include it. You have to be as sincere as possible.

I apologize to anyone who's PM'd regarding their PSs about the slow turnaround time. I've received over 20 in the past 2 weeks, so needless to say I'm a bit backed up. I'm working on clearing my inbox right now. I'm still willing to read them, but a 1-2 week turnaround time is likely.

I was just wondering if a lighthearted tone was appropriate in the PS? For example, I so far I can't help but make a few jokes here and there...

So am I supposed to be super serious and stone cold about why I want to be a doctor, or can it be slightly humerous, yet serious nonetheless.

Thanks

I was just wondering if a lighthearted tone was appropriate in the PS? For example, I so far I can't help but make a few jokes here and there...

So am I supposed to be super serious and stone cold about why I want to be a doctor, or can it be slightly humerous, yet serious nonetheless.

Thanks

Keep in mind that the name of the game is sincerity. If you can weave some in "situational humor", then go for it. For example, I read a PS where someone forgot a patient's name and was embarassed. They way they wrote it made me chuckle, but the writer also did a good job of weaving into the theme overcoming fear/embarassment during her clinical experience.

However, also keep in mind that humor is a very difficult thing to write. If you're not a sophisticated writer, I would leave it out. If the reader doesn't "get it", then you just wasted a line or two.

I think you could go for some humor but make sure the reader can't interpret it any other way than the way you want it to be interpreted. Think of a total jerk reading it. Could he make a snide comment afterwards?

for those of you that are reapplying.. are you mentioning how being rejected impacted you? being rejected is an incredibly humbling and painful experience. when i decided to retake the mcat and reapply i proved a lot to myself about my dedication to becoming a doctor. i do think that i am a much more serious applicant this time. do i not want to draw attention to the fact that i am a medical school reject in my ps?

Can I just post my PS here, or do I have to PM it to people?

Can I just post my PS here, or do I have to PM it to people?
Others have posted it in this thread before. It depends on how public you want to make your PS. I dunno how much traffic this thread gets or how many people who read it will actually comment.

ask people nicely in a PM, they'll likely give you an email address to send it to. Don't post it here.

Well, rather than bombard someone with an essay via PM, I'd like to ask if anyone here would be willing to read it.

It's my first draft, and pretty rough on the edges IMO. I hope to finish it completely within the next two weeks.

So, if anyone will help, I'd appreciate it.

If you would read it, please let me know.

Thanks.

nikes, I'll take a look if you don't mind taking a look at mine.

Does anyone else want to trade PS's? Thanks!

I'm willing to ready anyone's PS. Just PM me. Thnx!:D

You've got male whateva07...

Hi everyone,
I've completed my third revision of my PS and have had several people who know me look over it. But my problem is that its too long. I've had a lot of people say to keep it only a page long (med student buddies, MDs that have been on addcom, etc), but I really have a lot of info thats not in my resume, which I think is important to say. And I'm not explaining why I dont have a 4.0 (I have a 3.5), or talking about an emotional medical story. I don't repeat anything and I've kept my details concise. At least I think so! :oops:
Any suggestions? Anyone willing to look over my PS? I'm not too crazy about the health profession advisors at my university, so any pointers would be great.

Thanks!

is it less than 5300 characters with spaces?

Hello,

is anyone interested in exchanging personal statements to read and give feedback? if so, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

thanks in advance!!

Calbears...

I've sent emails out and no one has returned any of mine yet...

I'll send you mine if you'll read it, and I'll read yours if you sent it...

I'm not great at proof reading or things of that nature, but I'll read it and tell you what I think...

I'm going out of town today, and I won't be back until Sunday, so I might not be able to get back to you immediately. I'll read it though...

so i see all this advice about NOT starting a ps with "i didn't always want to be a doctor" etc.

what's a good way to start this kind of story then?

so i see all this advice about NOT starting a ps with "i didn't always want to be a doctor" etc.

what's a good way to start this kind of story then?

what kind of story are you talking about? if you are starting with a little story, just go right into it. the reader know what you are writing about in general, no need to set it up. just start.

Calbears...

I've sent emails out and no one has returned any of mine yet...

I'll send you mine if you'll read it, and I'll read yours if you sent it...

I'm not great at proof reading or things of that nature, but I'll read it and tell you what I think...

I'm going out of town today, and I won't be back until Sunday, so I might not be able to get back to you immediately. I'll read it though...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5208112

try there

im bored...who needs a PS to be read?

Polysnikes...I cannot open your PS as I do not have microsoft works. So see if u can send it on word or some other application most ppl would have. Thanks

Anyone want to read my PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.