-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The Official September 18, 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by litokhmaikid
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So who are the people that are re-taking the exam for fall 2015 MD/DO cycle?
Retaking! First attempt was on July 12th. Ready to kill it this time! Or at least improve.

Hello everyone,
I signed up for this test after I took the August 15th feeling I bombed PS...turns out I bombed VR! Happy day (/sarcasm). Lets see how this test date goes even though I haven't really reviewed any Bio/Orgo/VR in the past month.
AAMC Avg = 35.5 --> PS/VR/BS - 12.5/10.5/12,5 with AAMC 9-11 = 36-38
Actual MCAT = (PS/VR/BS) - (12/9/11)
Hoping for (10,11,12), we'll see what happens
Good luck to you all!
psh i dont see how scoring 1.5 point below your average is a bomb, but good luck thursday!
I am not sure what to do. I have a really strong upward trend in my exams except today and yesterday. Aamc 9 I got a 30. 10 I got a 27 because I was super tired and took it yesterday. Today I took 11 and got a 25. I think I scored that because I'm burnt out. Haven't even had a chance to review 11 FL. What do you guys think I should do?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I signed up for this test after I took the August 15th feeling I bombed PS...turns out I bombed VR! Happy day (/sarcasm). Lets see how this test date goes even though I haven't really reviewed any Bio/Orgo/VR in the past month.
AAMC Avg = 35.5 --> PS/VR/BS - 12.5/10.5/12,5 with AAMC 9-11 = 36-38
Actual MCAT = (PS/VR/BS) - (12/9/11)
Hoping for (10,11,12), we'll see what happens
Good luck to you all!
Definitely feel your pain as a fellow Canadian that also had to rewrite due to VR. I wish you the best of luck on Sept. 18 and that you will get some straightforward science sections like I did on the morning of Sept 10. Verbal is honestly a toss up no matter what imo.
Definitely feel your pain as a fellow Canadian that also had to rewrite due to VR. I wish you the best of luck on Sept. 18 and that you will get some straightforward science sections like I did on the morning of Sept 10. Verbal is honestly a toss up no matter what imo.
It makes me so sad I have to re-write. I was going to apply to U of S, U of M and U of C but with that VR it is out the window and unless I get a 10 in VR i'm essentially done except for U of T. Since I don't have a graduate degree, even with like a 3.9 GPA I'll be screened out. So demoralizing - especially since this past month I studied physics thinking I bombed it and now I don't even know if I'm in the right mindset to do VR. Thank you for your kinds words though.
psh i dont see how scoring 1.5 point below your average is a bomb, but good luck thursday!
It's actually 3.5 below my average and 4 below my AAMC 9-11 average. If I had gottena 10/10/11 it would've still been better than that. As a Canadian applicant anything below a 10 VR and you are done except for a few schools, so to me that's a bomb. Being a Canadian and wanting to do medicine is RIDICULOUS. Someone with a 3.9 cGPA and a 32 MCAT can gain admission no where depending on the VR mark.
I am not sure what to do. I have a really strong upward trend in my exams except today and yesterday. Aamc 9 I got a 30. 10 I got a 27 because I was super tired and took it yesterday. Today I took 11 and got a 25. I think I scored that because I'm burnt out. Haven't even had a chance to review 11 FL. What do you guys think I should do?
If you are burning out then you need to relax and ensure you are fully focused on the real thing.
What do you think I should do now for the 18th exam? Should I not review 11?If you are burning out then you need to relax and ensure you are fully focused on the real thing.
What do you think I should do now for the 18th exam? Should I not review 11?
That's tough. I think you should review because it is very helpful, but, you also need to not be burnt out on Thursday. You should do what you think will ensure that you have clarity of thought on test day.
Hey guys, you think its a good idea to take self-assessment for practice? I bought them a while back but never used them. Or you guys think its better to do another test? I took all AAMC, 3 TBR and 3 GS
Yes, the self-assessments are good for practice. I believe the questions are pulled from AAMC 6 and maybe some other official source.
The self assessment was pretty difficult and accurate. I definitely recommend it.Hey guys, you think its a good idea to take self-assessment for practice? I bought them a while back but never used them. Or you guys think its better to do another test? I took all AAMC, 3 TBR and 3 GS
For the retakers, how are guys staying motivated?
I am also retaking (after 2 years) but my score is not improving on the practice tests. I am really having a nervous breakdown 🙁
Here is your motivational speech for the night. It sounds cheesy and cliche but these are my true thoughts and I hope you can feel the same way.
Every time I thought about giving up because I have no chance after failing last time, I remember that this is just a test. It's a number. A very very important and expensive number, but it is never the end of the world. There are far worse things happening out there and I'm not going to let a number ruin my day, week, or life. I know my academic abilities and maybe I was too busy these past few months to study hardcore and achieve optimal performance, but I can and will get a decent score one day. If I bomb again this time (which is possible) I'll be crushed, but I'll realize again that I just have to keep trying. If you want medicine that bad, you'll find the motivation to keep moving forward.
I'm retaking after two months, so your two years off is a little different. Even so, you're two years out, not 20 years out. If it doesn't go well again (I'm hoping it does though), you still have time.
Careful about posting specific MCAT topics...I don't know how strict/specific they are with the limitations, but just a warning!Hey all I'm a 9-12 test taker (took it today). Don't feel good at all about it. Expect heavy experimental passages like the Ebola one (even harder). If you got through the Ebola one just fine you'll be okay. There were also a lot of detailed facts for the discrete. No way to study for those it's either you know it or u don't.
VR had the same types of questions id say but the passages were a lot a lot longer and dense.
PS was around the same as the Aamc exams just a bit more challenging.
Good luck to you guys you guys are going to do great believe in yourself and your halfway there!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Retaking after doing awful (damn VR) on th 8/1 test.
I've intensely gone over all the AAMC FL's so many times that my brain hurts 😛
Planning on going over some easy general content stuff tomorrow during the day and relaxing at night.
Anyone putting in a little bit of studying tomorrow?
I've intensely gone over all the AAMC FL's so many times that my brain hurts 😛
Planning on going over some easy general content stuff tomorrow during the day and relaxing at night.
Anyone putting in a little bit of studying tomorrow?
Retaking! First attempt was on July 12th. Ready to kill it this time! Or at least improve.![]()
Retaking after doing awful (damn VR) on th 8/1 test.
I've intensely gone over all the AAMC FL's so many times that my brain hurts 😛
Planning on going over some easy general content stuff tomorrow during the day and relaxing at night.
Anyone putting in a little bit of studying tomorrow?
I'm going to put in some studying by probably taking a verbal sectional. I'm actually worried about the exam only because of the verbal section. I have a tendency to feel good about that section, but end up with a low score.
Verbal sectional from where?I'm going to put in some studying by probably taking a verbal sectional. I'm actually worried about the exam only because of the verbal section. I have a tendency to feel good about that section, but end up with a low score.
I'm going to reward myself with one game of league since I studied all day. 😀 night night!
nah... I'll probably reward myself after I manhandle this exam. Until then, BEAST MODE ACTIVATED!!!!!!!!!Verbal sectional from where?
I'm going to reward myself with one game of league since I studied all day. 😀 night night!
Retaking after doing awful (damn VR) on th 8/1 test.
I've intensely gone over all the AAMC FL's so many times that my brain hurts 😛
Planning on going over some easy general content stuff tomorrow during the day and relaxing at night.
Anyone putting in a little bit of studying tomorrow?
after my AAMC 10 verbal score, im going to do atleast 9 AAMC verbal passages and then go over all of the AAMC's ive taken and flashcards, im skipping classes I've got the whole day... and going to exercise to try to wear myself out so i can fall asleep because thats been hard for me the last few days.
Right now I'm in the break before Biological Sciences on AAMC 11..smh. Its literally 12:30am right now, im super tired, but i just would hate to take an AAMC the day before the exam so doing it now
finally done AAMC 11, that bio was pretty rough my gosh, and the ebola passage wasnt that bad it was the wording of certain questions on random passages that got me. glad to see verbal went up to 9, hopefully one more day of AAMC verbal practice helps. I just want a 30 at this point. going to take the night off and review AAMC 10/11 tmw, feeling bad about not taking a lot of the FL's but figure if this goes bad i can atleast have fresh AAMC material to use, probably going to try and stay off here till the test is over. Good luck everyone 😛
AAMC 3: 30 9/10/11
AAMC 4: 30 11:10:9
AAMC 9: 28; 10/9/9
AAMC 10: 33; 12/8/13
AAMC 11: 31: 11/9/11
Avg: 30
AAMC 3: 30 9/10/11
AAMC 4: 30 11:10:9
AAMC 9: 28; 10/9/9
AAMC 10: 33; 12/8/13
AAMC 11: 31: 11/9/11
Avg: 30
Today I am going to do some review and look over equations. Stop around 6-7 pm and probably watch a movie and get to bed around 11:30pm. Got a great night of sleep last night (9M hours). Some interesting dreams. Went to sleep listening to my favorite playlist in bed, definitely felt comforting. Likely voiding and taking it in January. Despite doing well on my first practice AAMC (30+), it progressively got worse.
Here is your motivational speech for the night. It sounds cheesy and cliche but these are my true thoughts and I hope you can feel the same way.
Every time I thought about giving up because I have no chance after failing last time, I remember that this is just a test. It's a number. A very very important and expensive number, but it is never the end of the world. There are far worse things happening out there and I'm not going to let a number ruin my day, week, or life. I know my academic abilities and maybe I was too busy these past few months to study hardcore and achieve optimal performance, but I can and will get a decent score one day. If I bomb again this time (which is possible) I'll be crushed, but I'll realize again that I just have to keep trying. If you want medicine that bad, you'll find the motivation to keep moving forward.
I'm retaking after two months, so your two years off is a little different. Even so, you're two years out, not 20 years out. If it doesn't go well again (I'm hoping it does though), you still have time.
Beautifully said.
T-24 hours
Can someone go over Q56 from AAMC 10? I don't see how the first paragraph is refering to Siberia?
It's one of those more subjective questions, but the introductory paragraph references a mushroom cloud while the Siberia description uses a Hydrogen bomb as a description. The other choices have less reference and plausibility, so B was the best choice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the author's view, a prototype is the most typical instance of something--so a prototype of a fruit would be an apple or orange, compared to a tomato, which is indeed a fruit, but isn't what you think about when you think about fruit.Thanks! Can someone also go over question 91? I am unclear on how the author is defining prototype in the passage.
This is one of those 'refer back to the passage' type questions.
Thanks! Can someone also go over question 91? I am unclear on how the author is defining prototype in the passage.
Think of it this way: What is a prototype of a fruit? Most people would readily say "Apple" as their first choice. So now, we are comparing all fruits to the "Apple" prototype. Is a pear a fruit? It resembles an apple, so sure. What about a strawberry? It's red like an apple, so yes. What about eggplant? It doesn't seem like an apple, so people would hesitate more to label it as a fruit, BUT it IS indeed a fruit!
Now look at the choices. Which analogy compares best to items that fall on a spectrum of resemblance to an original item? Only D fits this. You have one ancestor and many descendants. Depending on how close the descendants resemble the ancestor, they're more likely to be closer related (less diverged in terms of evolution) to the ancestor.
Same. Just trying to review content and I'm starting to forget things and mix myself up..I was calm waking up this morning, but as the day progresses, I'm getting more and more anxious and nervous. Is anyone feeling the same way? I am HOPING that I can get a good night's rest tonight.
Did anyone get a call from prometric to remind them that their MCAT is tomorrow at 1pm?
I have taken the MCAT before and have never gotten a reminder.
I have taken the MCAT before and have never gotten a reminder.
Nope, only the email reminder from AAMC.Did anyone get a call from prometric to remind them that their MCAT is tomorrow at 1pm?
I have taken the MCAT before and have never gotten a reminder.
Yep, I got a call. Not sure why they didn't just emailDid anyone get a call from prometric to remind them that their MCAT is tomorrow at 1pm?
I have taken the MCAT before and have never gotten a reminder.
Yep, I got a call. Not sure why they didn't just email
Yeah it was odd. She was like you can come in at 9am if you want and register. Then come back at 1pm to take the exam. Why in the world would I go there twice?
Today:
![]()
I am completely calm. I think I am so over this exam that I don't even care anymore.
Yeah it was odd. She was like you can come in at 9am if you want and register. Then come back at 1pm to take the exam. Why in the world would I go there twice?
Lol, I got a similar call but the guy sounded super young and just said come in around 12-12:30 for the 1pm exam. Sounded super nice.
Lol, I got a similar call but the guy sounded super young and just said come in around 12-12:30 for the 1pm exam. Sounded super nice.
Yeah she tried to tell me to come before 12:30. I said that's not gonna happen. I'll be there at 12:30 at the earliest.
Yeah she tried to tell me to come before 12:30. I said that's not gonna happen. I'll be there at 12:30 at the earliest.
Yeah, I told him I would be there around 12:30 maybe a little earlier.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not planning on getting there early because if I start early, people will still be coming in and it will be a headache to try to focus.
I'm getting bored today doing some more practice problems ... feels like back in high school senior year when I had senioritis ... sigh.
I'm getting bored today doing some more practice problems ... feels like back in high school senior year when I had senioritis ... sigh.
I don't think so; they provide a pencil and paper.
You're not. The only items you're allowed to bring into the test room are earplugs (if you bring your own sealed box of earplugs) and your ID.really weird question but does anyone know if we are allowed to use our own pen/pencil for the test?
I am completely calm. I think I am so over this exam that I don't even care anymore.
Exactly how I feel. I don't even feel nervous anymore!
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E
? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).