The Official "Should I Retake" Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a 37N...........
14PS, 10V, 13BS

i knew my bull**** is gonna come back and bite me in the ass one day..... i just didn't know it's this bad..........

like, how heavy do the not-so-top school look at your WS?
schools like columbia, vandy, albert?

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP? said:
I retook a 32 (a 9 in PS which scared me) and got a 35 (11 in PS) - my practices were consistently 34-37 (from the very beginning). It's possible to improve--especialy if you were feeling ill or just grossly mismanaged time on that particular section. But you've gotta study really, really hard for the next 2 months. It's worth it if you're looking to be considered by top programs.
When you retook it, was it the August exam that you retook? Or April? I'm afraid I'll set myself back, and make things worse? Especially if I don't improve?

Thanks!

So with a 23 I probably won't have a chance with any DO School either? I just spoke to my parents and I don't feel comfortable taking it this August since I will only have like a month and a half to study for it and am taking classes over the summer. I am planning on just applying as is and then seeing what happens and then taking it APRIL 2007 when I am a senior. I might loose a year in between but this is what I really want to do and I am just so devestated!

What do you guys think about me just applying and seeing what happens and then taking it in April 2007 instead of this august?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry here is another one...

Bio-11 Verbal-10 PS-8 Writing O,
29O...Grrr

GPA 3.5, Science GPA 3.3
I really messed up my freshman year (2.6 GPA) but since then I have improved significantly (Soph - 3.6, Jun - 3.75, Sen - 3.75).
I feel I have some good EC's.
I hope and pray they see the trend, otherwise I am screwed.
But, do I retake in August or go for it and see about this year?
I graduate in December and will have the winter off so I could study and retake sometime in the winter. I was averaging 10s in PS before, this was one of my lower ones. Overall I averaged about 31

Any comments are welcome

got a 31Q (9V,12P,10B)

30yr old lawyer, from California

JC transfer (3.45) to UCLA undergrad in poli sci(3.6); USC law

post-bac at community college (4.0)

i think my overal gpa will be around 3.63

what do you all think? any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated --- a lot more than my mcat score.

Eh your fine I got a 29Q with a 8 in PS as well. I had an A+ in physics but we got note cards on the test heh. Apply to state schools, hell just get in anywhere it won't matter much if you really kick ass once you're in

PS14, V7, BS11

32Q

20-year old, 3.9 BCPM and total GPA, shadowing, hospice, fraternity leadership,

that 7 blows
retake or no?

rajad10 said:
PS14, V7, BS11

32Q

20-year old, 3.9 BCPM and total GPA, shadowing, hospice, fraternity leadership,

that 7 blows
retake or no?
That was strange, i thought this was my thread? It must have been merged. In which case, it looks like my threads are becoming staples to be merged with. Yay! :)

Depends, i got an 8 in verbal with a 31S. How are your english classes at school, how have you done in them? Im in limno too about a 31s (which is why I made the thread), but now i'm leaning towards just applying with what I have and give it a shot

nekrogg said:
are you sure you want to do md school? you should definently consider carib with that score

um, yes. yes i am sure i'd like to do med schoool. what a mixed bag of info on here...i hear that my 31S is fine and then i hear that i should definitely retake.

i don't know what to do.

Hey all,

I need some advice from anyone who'd listen. I took the MCAT last year (April 2005) and got a disappointing 18M. I retook the exam in August and barely improved (just my BS and WS sections). I took it this April and got a 24R.

I live in Texas and graduated this May. I have a 3.95 GPA and pretty much the whole she-bang, ie. research experience, physician shadowing, volunteer hours, leadership positions, teaching, etc. My recommendations, as far as I know, are very good and I'm pretty eager to follow the osteopathic route (my father's friend is an osteopathic doctor). I'm not eager to retake the exam again.

Any thoughts on what should I do? I've already sent out my osteopathic applicatios as well as the TMDSAS one.

i was unable to break 9 on the practice tests for verbal and i was easily getting 12 for BS and PS and my score was a 11 on VERBAL, 11 on PS and 10 on BS with a Q on writing. I dont think i should take it again cuz 11 on verbal is crazy for me.

VR: 11
BS: 10
PS : 11
32Q

What do you think i should do. Is a 32Q with a 3.6 GPA enough for an ASIAN?? haha thanks guys

me again, need more opinions. 28S, 10VR and 9 on both sciences. 3.91 overall, 3.85 science....check out my mdapplicant thingy for my ECs. what do you think, retake? i am going to apply with what i have either way, but should i retake in august??

Catayst said:
Eh your fine I got a 29Q with a 8 in PS as well. I had an A+ in physics but we got note cards on the test heh. Apply to state schools, hell just get in anywhere it won't matter much if you really kick ass once you're in

That's funny, we were able to use note cards on the tests also. We didn't have to memorize one single equation. I think that hurt me in the end. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
alright, i've never done this "what are my chances thing" because I have always felt confident but my mcat score just set my straight..

I got a 29P ( 10 PS / 9 VR / 10 BS / P WS)
GPA 3.91
BCPM GPA 3.94
Bioengineering Major

Pretty typical EC's, nothing saving the world, but volunteering, clubs and orgs at school, summer research........

The thing I am worried about is the PS score. I was really always good at physics, and am stunned/dissapointed in my score (i know a 10 is good, but i was averaging 12/13's and never got lower than an 11) I never took general physics in college because I had earned AP credits, and I was an engineering major so I have enough physics related stuff to cover it.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think about this situation. Do you think schools will look down upon that fact that I have a high gpa but only did average on the PS?

Sartre79 said:
I got a 12 VR, 8 PS, 10 BS....o for writing sample. I have 3.8 scigpa...3.8 gpa overall. Kind of worried about the distribution.
Hey I got almost that exact same score last year- 11 VR, 8 PS, 11 BS - and I got into 3 med schools. I was really worried about the 8 at the time, but it only came up in one interview, and that school (Ohio State) accepted me and I'm starting there in August. You'll be fine!

what state?

I'm a white guy who's cool with my 32M (same score breakdown).

(from michigan, and a legacy at Wayne state, so I figured I can get into one of MSU or Wayne, if not a better location school like Loyola)

maestro1625 said:
what state?

I'm a white guy who's cool with my 32M (same score breakdown).

(from michigan, and a legacy at Wayne state, so I figured I can get into one of MSU or Wayne, if not a better location school like Loyola)

im from california

isn't the average osteopathic mcat a 24.... you'll be fine. I know someone that got in with a 24 to Lecom and he had half the ec's and gpa u did... goodluck

thecaptain said:
um, yes. yes i am sure i'd like to do med schoool. what a mixed bag of info on here...i hear that my 31S is fine and then i hear that i should definitely retake.

i don't know what to do.

Dont worry about what other people say about your score. You'll be fine. I even saw people with 30O getting into top schools (top 20) as long as all the individual sections are 8 and above. Of course, if you wanna shoot for those top schools your other criteria will have to shine, but if you are just targeting for A med school, just concentrate on your interviews and essays. I wish I had your score. Congrats.

hmm, yeah I have no idea about cali. I'd assume you can get in somehwere with that score... but it's definately easier from Michigan (I hope)

Zuerst said:
10 VR
11 PS
12 BS

and a freaking M on the writing!!!???!!! I'm not that bad of a writer. I know on test day I misused a word repeatly... will that do it?

a M!!!???

W. T. @#$@

:D

Good score. Don't worry about the "M". You need to celebrate.
WS is by far the least important section.

lakersbaby said:
im from california

i got similar stats and ive just come to terms with the fact that im probably not staying in cali :(

obviously you're not as good a writer as you think you are. :laugh: J/k

only retake if you think you can improve 3+ pts.

I got a 27O and I just want to get into any allopathic school. I have a solid Science and Overall GPAs both at 3.8. Also some extracurriculars. Retake?

Natural Light said:
Good score. Don't worry about the "M". You need to celebrate.
WS is by far the least important section.

Yes, but I was under the impression that a bad writing score will keep one out of medical school. I had one practice writing with Kaplan and my feedback score was a Q, which I think is enough.

I repeatly used a word incorrectly on test day, I just didn't know it'll have this much of an effect... I mean Q to M is a HUGE drop.

And relatively to other aspects of my applicantion, it is really a sore thumb sticking...asdoiajdsofasd ahhh !!!!!

I would appreciate an honest opinion. . . you guys to be on the ball with this stuff. . .

UFlorida
GPA:3.96
Science:3.98

Verbal: 9, Phys: 11, Bio: 11, Writing: S

Will the verbal take me out of commission?

chilon85 said:
So with a 23 I probably won't have a chance with any DO School either? I just spoke to my parents and I don't feel comfortable taking it this August since I will only have like a month and a half to study for it and am taking classes over the summer. I am planning on just applying as is and then seeing what happens and then taking it APRIL 2007 when I am a senior. I might loose a year in between but this is what I really want to do and I am just so devestated!

What do you guys think about me just applying and seeing what happens and then taking it in April 2007 instead of this august?

there's so many more dates in 07 though. you could definitely take it in january or february and have winterbreak to study for it

Don't apply unless you got a 40S+. Or else you'll just be wasting your money. This goes out to all those wondering if your 30+ scores are good enough. Peace!

tandski said:
I am sorry here is another one...

Bio-11 Verbal-10 PS-8 Writing O,
29O...Grrr

GPA 3.5, Science GPA 3.3
I really messed up my freshman year (2.6 GPA) but since then I have improved significantly (Soph - 3.6, Jun - 3.75, Sen - 3.75).
I feel I have some good EC's.
I hope and pray they see the trend, otherwise I am screwed.
But, do I retake in August or go for it and see about this year?
I graduate in December and will have the winter off so I could study and retake sometime in the winter. I was averaging 10s in PS before, this was one of my lower ones. Overall I averaged about 31

Any comments are welcome

WOW, we are really in the same boat! Glad to see people besides the 35+ers posting. We're still above average!:
Score: 29O

PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 11
W: O

1. Your Form (If you remember): Can't remember but a bunch of people in Dallas had the same

2. Your Practice Score Range: 29-31. ALWAYS got an 11 in VR-I'm so bummed. But never got above a 10 on BS--got off easy, only 2 OChem passages

3. What you used to Study: Kaplan

4. How do you feel right now? Pretty dissapointed and confused. I don't know if I should take it again. I feel like I put EVERYTHING into it. And although I think I can do better on VR, I know I won't get another 11 on BS.
Any advice/encouragement PLEASE??? I have a 3.56 GPA, TONS of research experience but not much else. Applying to TX schools.

happydays said:
Don't apply unless you got a 40S+. Or else you'll just be wasting your money. This goes out to all those wondering if your 30+ scores are good enough. Peace!
Dude, some of us really aren't in the mood for rude sarcasm! Why don't you go make prank phone calls or something

Hi I'm looking for advice

34R
VR: 11
PS: 11
BS: 12

Not bad except that I scored 37 on my last 3 practice tests. That is really bugging me.

Additionally, anyone have thoughts on requesting a rescore? I have serious doubts about my verbal score. I felt so good about verbal that 15 or 14 seemed a reasonable expectation.

Before score release I said retake with 35 and below. Now I am not sure what to do with the 34. It was easier to say if I scored below 35 I would retake before I knew I scored 34.

I need a good score to overcome not so great undergraduate GPA. And I am nontraditional student, applying at 32 years old.

rowdyrock said:
Dude, some of us really aren't in the mood for rude sarcasm! Why don't you go make prank phone calls or something
The truth hurts.

Also looking for advice

PS 10 VR 9 BS 10 WS N :confused: 29N

What do you think? Retake in august or go ahead and submit AMCAS.
ugrad 3.0 postbac 4.0 Grad 4.0 with plenty of research and over 300 hours volunteer work. My main concern is the ugrad gpa.

Just curious what the SDN crowd thinks. Thanks

gilmartp said:
I felt so good about verbal that 15 or 14 seemed a reasonable expectation.

I'm not exactly a verbal god (far from it) but my teachers always said "the verbal test is not a feel good test." (BS advice if you ask me, but advice non-the-less.) Do you really wanna sit through that 8 hour test again? I'm gonna do it (31O), so i'm being a hypocrite.

Since I'm being quoted (I always wanted to be famous!), I'll just weigh in and request that you all please play nice. MCATers, please don't bash happy. And happy, I know that you're being sarcastic, but the people who are jumping on you are not the ones with 35+ MCAT scores, and that's why they're so upset. Please don't come in here and stir the pot. ;)

I got a 28Q with 10 PS, 10 BS, and 8 in verbal. I'm a Texas resident applying to Texas MD schools with a 3.8 overall GPA and 3.6 BCPM. What are my chances at UT schools and is that verbal going to kill me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :confused:

QofQuimica said:
Since I'm being quoted (I always wanted to be famous!), I'll just weigh in and request that you all please play nice. MCATers, please don't bash happy. And happy, I know that you're being sarcastic, but the people who are jumping on you are not the ones with 35+ MCAT scores, and that's why they're so upset. Please don't come in here and stir the pot. ;)

Apologies, really. I know there's no point to insults on either end.

I wrote for the first time in April and I scrored:

11 PS, 10 VR, 11BS, Writing O

My GPA is above 3.9.

The only reason I ask is that I broke the wrist of my writing arm 2 weeks prior to the date and the AAMC, being the kind organization it is, did not allow me any sort of special conditions. It wouldn't have been that bad, but I had a cast similar to this (with better thumb access of course):

fig04-md.jpg

This cast not only affected my writing ability (a lot), but also caused me to become tired for the 2 weeks prior to the exam and, obviously, was a distraction on other parts of the exam. I was, howevere, able to write my essays with my writing hand and fill in bubbles, but at a slower rate than normal.

Now the question is:

Do medical schools take such events into consideration when reviewing applications (is it even possible for me to prove this was the case)

OR

Am I out of luck and retaking in August.

I hate to sound like a whiner, but I put so much effort into this SOB and it pisses me off that one second of bad luck would screw it all up. Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated.

I also forgot to add that I know I can do better, it's just a matter of whether 1 or 2 points and a few letters in the writing are worth it.

rowdyrock said:
Apologies, really. I know there's no point to insults on either end.
No harm done. I know that tonight is an emotional night for you all. And for the record, I don't think that you should retake unless you know that you can do significantly better the next time. :luck: with your apps. :)

Zuerst said:
And relatively to other aspects of my applicantion, it is really a sore thumb sticking...asdoiajdsofasd ahhh !!!!!

I give you an M for that last post. :smuggrin: j/k

I wouldn't retake it. You'll most likely improve on the writing but the other sections are a crap shoot. A 33 is a good score and statistically the odds are not in your favor for improving it.

Let me give some serious advice to those of you wondering if you should retake or not. First off, the distribution of your score matters. No one will give half a $#!t if your score is a 31 if your breakdown is 12BS 4VR 15PS. An applicant with a 30 whose breakdown is 10BS 10VR and 10PS is considered much stronger.

Okay, that said, if you scored a 7 or lower in any one section, you should consider retaking. I know for a fact my file was tossed out of Wake Forest because I had an 8 in Verbal (I asked, and that's what they told me). It's BS, but the whole application process is BS. It truly is. It's the most arbitrary thing in the world; who knows if one more question could have swayed me to a 9, but whatever. #uck it. Don't bother asking yourself all the what-ifs, save yourself that misery and focus on goals instead.

Do not consider retaking because of the writing sample, unless you scored something truly dismal. Like a J, or a K, in which case you need to stop answering the prompts in Klingon or doodles. No one give's a rat's ass about the writing sample anyway. They pretend they do, but really they're all about number whoring.

So, now let's talk numbers. I would personally encourage someone with a 27 or less to retake, unless that 27 is distributed as 9/9/9, or even a 8/9/10. Again, totals are somewhat arbitrary, but if you have a 26 overall (or lower), you are NOT competitive in terms of your MCAT, and your GPA better be stinking high so that you could write-off the MCAT score as just a bad test day. Otherwise you'll get iced.

28-29 is the troublesome territory, for those of you considering a retake. I personally told myself, if I got a 30 or higher overall (with reasonable distribution, of course, and NO 7's or lower) that I would NOT retake. Of course, what do I wind up getting, but a 29 (10/8/11). I decided NOT to retake on that 29, because the distribution was alright (albeit the 8 was low enough to get me rejected) and I thought, "what the hell, why not test out the waters."

30's and higher: for chrissake, don't retake. 30 is a solid score. 29 is even a solid score. Do not get any inflated ideas in your head reading SDN. If you retake, and you go DOWN, it will hurt like a bitch. Emotionally, and on your file as well. Why put yourself through it? Be confident about yourself. Be confident about your score. You cannot go through the app. process feeling defeated, or you're doomed from the start. Wise-up. If you're in this category of people, you did FREAKING AWESOME and there are plenty of people who would die to get what you got. Be grateful, you little farts.

Again, just to sum up: (1.) don't get any inflated ideas in your head, 28-30 are solid scores despite what you read here on SDN and mdapps; and (2.) stop thinking of the scores in terms of the total. I know I've been talking about them in terms of totals, and that's okay to some extent, but seriously think about the breakdown. Treat each section like a separate test: if you got 7 or lower in any of them, that will be a problem. An 8 is low too, but not unforgivable. Double digits are GOLD. If you have three double digits, you did #ucking outstanding. Applaud yourself and apply with confidence, and don't even doubt it or think to yourself about retaking.

Alright and now as my final words, I have to throw in the obligatory "it's not all about the numbers" crap that some people like to believe. Well, if you got a LOW MCAT score, and by low I mean both in terms of total and distribution, a good GPA can redeem you. You will hear about people with 27 MCATs and 3.9 GPAs who get into many schools they apply to. I know there's been a lot of debate over these forums about which is more important: MCAT or GPA. The answer is "both", but GPA is very, very important too. It can certainly make up for the MCAT, and to some degree, the opposite can apply. EC's, volunteering, etc. are "important", but VERY important is exposure to the medical profession. You better damn well be able to explain why you want to be a doctor, and CONVINCE the adcom that you're right for it, and the only way to do that is to experience what you claim to be so committed to, build on that experience, and express your sincere and mature motivation and dedication to the medical field.

By the way, for reference, with my 29R (11PS 8VR 10BS) I got 3 interviews, 1 acceptance, and I'm still on 2 stinking waitlists. I did get a slew of rejections too, but I have yet to be rejected from a place I interviewed at. All 3 interviews were allopathic schools.

Zoom-Zoom said:
I give you an M for that last post. :smuggrin: j/k

I wouldn't retake it. You'll most likely improve on the writing but the other sections are a crap shoot. A 33 is a good score and statistically the odds are not in your favor for improving it.

I'm pretty sure I can improve on it though, giving that was pretty much the result of a 2-week cram... but I don't know if I really wanna prepare for the August MCAT while working full time, taking classes, and doing volunteering stuff...etc this summer. Hmmm... do I want a life or do I want a higher writing/numerical MCAT score? :(

I feel your pain man. I was also getting P's and Q's on Kaplan and when I took the MCAT I got 31L (Three years ago). A freaking L!!! I mean, even getting a 3 on one of them would give you higher!! What a crapshoot! Do they need a few people to pick on and give lousy grades? The funny thing is I thought I aced the writing since it was easy for me. So I think it hurt my chances of getting into some schools but my advisor told me not to reatake since this section doesn't really count and I got into an osteopathic school, NYCOM.

crazy_cavalier:
great post. thank you very much for the depth of your comments. i posted earlier with my stats (30yr old lawyer from cali: 9v,12p,10b, Q). i'm thinking of retaking in august but don't know how it will effect my application.

Do the med schools consider your application incomplete if you register for the august MCAT? this really effects my decision. i figure that if they consider my application complete and process it along with the others then i can sit for the august test and feel it out. if it do great, then i'll keep it. if not, then i'll just cancel it and still be in the running with my april score.

thanks again for your comments.

I had a roommate that got a 31 on the august 2005 while he weas scoring around 34-37 on the practice tests. He studied his ass off and retook it in april. He got a 35R this time. So if anyone REALLY wants to retake, it all depends on what level you were at with the practice tests, unless there was a huge drop in score (>4) i would, you shoul ddefinitely not retake