The Official "Should I Retake" Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a 37N...........
14PS, 10V, 13BS

i knew my bull**** is gonna come back and bite me in the ass one day..... i just didn't know it's this bad..........

like, how heavy do the not-so-top school look at your WS?
schools like columbia, vandy, albert?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 12 VR, 8 PS, 10 BS....o for writing sample. I have 3.8 scigpa...3.8 gpa overall. Kind of worried about the distribution.

Members don't see this ad :)
someone ban this idiot. I can't believe these types of posts don't get locked. Someone needs to appoint some real mods

no, im not being a troll here

the cutoffs in canada here are O or Ps.......

oh ya and yes, im not a native english speaker >_<

VR: 11
PS: 08
BS: 10

29P

GPA: 3.85, 3.81 bcpm

How bad is that 8 in physical sciences?

PS = 10
VS = 11 (WTF? how is this so low?)
BS = 10
WS = S

should i retake in august? seriously people. lay it on me.

i would say def.. I don't know your grades but I'm suprised at how low your vr was too... have fun in aug

thecaptain said:
PS = 10
BS = 10
WS = S

Hell no you shouldn't retake? An 11 is very impressive on the Verbal Sciences :p

Dr. Geoff said:
i would say def.. I don't know your grades but I'm suprised at how low your vr was too... have fun in aug

dude, look. i'm like 3 vodka's in. are you being legit? i have lost my ability to ascertain sarcasm. and grammar. im pretty sure ive lost that ability too. omg. retake in august? well, F**K. ok. le sigh.

monkeymeg2 said:
VR: 11
PS: 08
BS: 10

29P

GPA: 3.85, 3.81 bcpm

How bad is that 8 in physical sciences?

You will be fine. congratulations on your score. I also got an 8 in physics and the breakdown was pretty similar to yours. Your GPA rocks though, so you shouldnt have a problem getting into a school. Just write a good application and nail your interview. Good luck.

To the OP, I dont know if you are being serious or not. But as much as I want to congratulate you for achieving such a high score, I also want to say that you totally suck for asking such a dumb question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess here is where Im going to post if I am in limbo of whether or not to retake. I got a 31S, with a breakdown of 12PS, 11BS, 8 Verbal, and S Writing Sample.

The question is, should I risk it and try to improve my verbal score? My GPA isnt not great (3.3 ish with a 4.0 my senior year). i have a guaranteed admission into a special masters program already, at the university of cincinatti, a top 30-40 school in the country. Since its their first year, they are busting their ass to get its 20 accepted applicants into medical school by allowing its students to take the two hardest science courses along with medical students- Physiology and Biochemistry. If i do well, I can allay most adcom fears about doing well in medical school. I have great LOR's, and resume, and extracurriculars.

Would you take the retest to be more competitive if you were in my position?
I'm leaning towards no right now. but who knows.

I would definitely recommend retaking with that 37N. That's hardly good enough to get into med school. I'm sure nearly everyone on SDN did better than you

braluk said:
I guess here is where Im going to post if I am in limbo of whether or not to retake. I got a 31S, with a breakdown of 12PS, 11BS, 8 Verbal, and S Writing Sample.

The question is, should I risk it and try to improve my verbal score? My GPA isnt not great (3.3 ish with a 4.0 my senior year). i have a guaranteed admission into a special masters program already, at the university of cincinatti, a top 30-40 school in the country. Since its their first year, they are busting their ass to get its 20 accepted applicants into medical school by allowing its students to take the two hardest science courses along with medical students- Physiology and Biochemistry. If i do well, I can allay most adcom fears about doing well in medical school. I have great LOR's, and resume, and extracurriculars.

Would you take the retest to be more competitive if you were in my position?
I'm leaning towards no right now. but who knows.

How were your practice exams? Were you scoring the same on them or were those scores a lot higher? I think 31S is a good, solid score. If I were you, I would try to focus my attention on doing well in those classes and getting good recs.

Good luck.

OP - your scores are even enough. You should be fine, but what are your grades?

I got a 27N. PS: 10, BS: 10, VR: 7. All my verbal scores were 9-10 on the practice tests, so this is obviously what killed me on the real deal. I'm a business major with a 3.7 cumulative and a ~3.8 BCMP. Since I'm not a science major I don't have any science-related research experience, but I do have about a years worth of experience (FT during summer/PT during school year) on a behavioral-genetics study in the psych department. I have 100+ hours volunteering in a local ED. I've been involved in a fraternity for 3+ years and am now the house manager and have held other positions in my time there. I have the basic deans list, honor society, blah. I feel like my LOR's might be a little weak since I didn't know my profs as well as I wanted to, and since I was not a science major I lack some of the basic science research. My state schools average MCAT is a 30, and I'd really like to attend there. Is it worth it to try applying with this score or would it hurt me if i wasn't accepted there and tried next year? If I'd be better served beefing up my application for another year I might be willing to do that, but I was already going to be taking next year off. Please offer some advice

practice exams were up and down, verbal 11 was my highest at one point, and lowest was a 7, the rest was kind of random. There IS an explanation as to why the VR scores was a tad bit low, proctor interrupted us by claling time early (explained an AAMC letter). what to do what to do. What about you other guys. Do adcoms forgive one section (VR) if everything else is prepared well (PS, written section is great).

OMG I just checked my MCAT SCORES, this is my first time taking it, and I got a 23 O

9 VR
5 PS
9 BS
O WS

WHAT DO I DO? DO I HAVE A CHANCE AT EVEN A DO SCHOOL?

pej722 said:
I would definitely recommend retaking with that 37N. That's hardly good enough to get into med school. I'm sure nearly everyone on SDN did better than you
lollll

I am in a similar boat with a 30R: 13 VR, 7 PS, 10 BS
My undergrad was 3.54 (but I have a MS with a 3.88, and am half way through a second MS with a 4.0). Have research and teaching experience too. Dunno what to do. Am only aiming for mid-tier, maybe a few reach schools. Any thoughts?

your 9's aren't decent... that 5 is killer, you might want to retake... avg DO mcat is a 24 i think, so could be fine...but a 5 is a dagger... i took it twice... got a 26 and now I just got a 30... also PS is supposed to be the easiest to improve on

kdburton said:
I got a 27N. PS: 10, BS: 10, VR: 7. All my verbal scores were 9-10 on the practice tests, so this is obviously what killed me on the real deal. I'm a business major with a 3.7 cumulative and a ~3.8 BCMP. Since I'm not a science major I don't have any science-related research experience, but I do have about a years worth of experience (FT during summer/PT during school year) on a behavioral-genetics study in the psych department. I have 100+ hours volunteering in a local ED. I've been involved in a fraternity for 3+ years and am now the house manager and have held other positions in my time there. I have the basic deans list, honor society, blah. I feel like my LOR's might be a little weak since I didn't know my profs as well as I wanted to, and since I was not a science major I lack some of the basic science research. My state schools average MCAT is a 30, and I'd really like to attend there. Is it worth it to try applying with this score or would it hurt me if i wasn't accepted there and tried next year? If I'd be better served beefing up my application for another year I might be willing to do that, but I was already going to be taking next year off. Please offer some advice
the thing that would worry me most is, if you have demonstrated anything so far as to why you want to be a doctor, and what have you shown for it? Data shows that the accepted applicant average score is a 30 while average applicant is a 28. Your grades are great, which might help, but you may want to boost your MCAT a little bit especialyl if you havn't demonstrated any health/research related expeirence in your resume (volunteering, etc). but your best bet is to ask your pre-health advisor

thecaptain said:
PS = 10
BS = 10
WS = S

did u take in April 06? How do you already have score?

Haemulon said:
My undergrad was 3.54 (but I have a MS with a 3.88, and am half way through a second MS with a 4.0). Have research and teaching experience too. Dunno what to do. Am only aiming for mid-tier, maybe a few reach schools. Any thoughts?
Yea I feel you. I think that adcoms are forgiving of one low section if your school's classes make up for it. I have a terrible verbal score, but i have very good english grades at college. I would apply anyway. a 30R is a competitive score, and with a masters (two masters?) you have an even stronger edge. I'm going to apply through a special masters program and hopefully get into medical school through there.

you are worried about retaking-I got a 15 N 5 on each section now I don't know what to do I can't afford a class that is for sure

if your practice scores were significantly higher, i would suggest re-taking the test...you want to give yourself the best possible shot that you believe you can. best of luck!!

what does someone recommend-I am not giving up that is definitely NOT an option

hey guys, i need an honest opinion. i got a 28S, 10VR, 9 on both sciences. i have a 3.9 overall 3.85 science. i really need an honest opinion/advice on what i should do. i am going to submit my AMCAS right now anyway, but should i retake in august? please guys, let me know what you think

simhawk honestly go be a nurse a couple years. My gf had like a 15 too and it was hard to break it to her that it's pretty hopeless to apply with that. In 2 years she'll be an RN like my dad making 70K+ easily

simhawk honestly go be a nurse a couple years. My gf had like a 15 too and it was hard to break it to her that it's pretty hopeless to apply to med school with that. However in 2 years she'll be an RN like my dad making 70K+ easily

braluk said:
Yea I feel you. I think that adcoms are forgiving of one low section if your school's classes make up for it. I have a terrible verbal score, but i have very good english grades at college. I would apply anyway. a 30R is a competitive score, and with a masters (two masters?) you have an even stronger edge. I'm going to apply through a special masters program and hopefully get into medical school through there.

Thanks for the advice. I may just be beating up on myself, too high of expectations. I think your idea of a special masters is great. Especially if it associated with a medical school (schools with such programs typically take a high percentage of matriculants into their MD program afterwards). The program I am in is actually at a med school right now. So hopefully they will ook favorably on it.

simhawk said:
what does someone recommend-I am not giving up that is definitely NOT an option
what are the possibilities of retaking the MCAT? Did you prepare and study enough? If you didn't perhaps rehashing your effeorts during the summer into hardcore 12+ hours a day studying would be your best bet to double your score. If you tried your absolute hardest and got a 15, you will find it extrmeely hard to get into medical school. If medicine is your passion, you may want to look into nursing, and even Physicians Assistants (they make alot of moeny (somewhere around 6 figures) in a very short amount of time due to doctor shortages). I think that if anyone tries hard enough, and puts enough time into it, they will eventually get into medical school, its just how much dedication you put into it. I say take the test over again, and reapply to medical school or go through a special masters program

thecaptain said:
PS = 10
BS = 10
WS = S

are you sure you want to do md school? you should definently consider carib with that score

Haemulon said:
Thanks for the advice. I may just be beating up on myself, too high of expectations. I think your idea of a special masters is great. Especially if it associated with a medical school (schools with such programs typically take a high percentage of matriculants into their MD program afterwards). The program I am in is actually at a med school right now. So hopefully they will ook favorably on it.
is your program a special masters or a regular masters? What kind of program is it?

spospo said:
hey guys, i need an honest opinion. i got a 28S, 10VR, 9 on both sciences. i have a 3.9 overall 3.85 science. i really need an honest opinion/advice on what i should do. i am going to submit my AMCAS right now anyway, but should i retake in august? please guys, let me know what you think

Go for it. Especially with those great grades and if you have good EC's. A 28 is a decent score. Put good effort into those secondaries and interviews and you stand a decent shot.

CrackaMD said:
retake, if you didn't get about a 35

i don't know what to believe. my grades, bcpm or whatever you call it around 2.7. overall gpa is 3.1 ish. im retaking classes this year (the ochem series), applying next year. 3rd year into my phd. lots of EC type stuff. i dont know. i dont know if i could make a 35. grrrrrrrarrrrrgh.

Advice?

I have:

11 (BS) 11 (VR) 9 (PS)

Undergrad GPA: 3.40 (upward trend, yada yada, one bad semester, really bad)

Post Bac GPA (all sciences): 3.8-ish (too lazy to convert, taken at different colleges, but yeah, one 3.7, three 4.0s)

I have research experience, I want to do MSTP. I was much higher on practice scores, but I don't want to go through it again. Help?

braluk said:
is your program a special masters or a regular masters? What kind of program is it?

Biomedical Sciences. My last one was in Biology. They sound similar, but my emphasis is very different between the two. I'd be happy to tell you more in PM (and or email), but the specialty of this program is such that it is pretty unique and I don't want to post to much identifying info in public.

I didn't do too well, but I think I did well enough for DO schools. My GPA and MCAT are above most of the averages and stuff.

My question is, do you guys think it's wise to just apply to about the 6 DO schools I was goin to apply even if I got a 30+ and dont apply to any MDs, then wait for acceptances/rejections and if all rejections, retake around May/June of 2007? I wouldnt mind a year off either.

Haemulon said:

I wouldnt retake if I was you. You have a great score and a great GPA. Just focus on your interviews and you'll do fine.