The Official "Should I Retake" Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a 37N...........
14PS, 10V, 13BS

i knew my bull**** is gonna come back and bite me in the ass one day..... i just didn't know it's this bad..........

like, how heavy do the not-so-top school look at your WS?
schools like columbia, vandy, albert?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 35, but an unbalanced one -- 14 V, 11 BS, 10 PS. Some people have said that adcoms prefer a more balanced score, which has me worried. I was a humanities major, and took all my science courses post-bac, so I feel like I already have something to prove in the sciences. Is it worth considering a retake, if I'm confident I can raise my two science scores by 4 or 5 points combined? I'm going to apply right now anyway, so the question isn't whether to hold off on apps, but whether it's worth it to devote these next two months to studying and bringing my science scores up to where they should be.

And yes, I know that people usually have a hard time raising their scores by much from April to August, but I more or less took the April MCAT "cold" (no practice tests, ~3 weeks of studying, while also taking three science pre-reqs), so I've got pretty good reason to think that I'd be able to raise it considerably with better preparation.

reemiss said:
27R (10BS, 9PS, 8V), 4.0 gpa, >1yr research, some but not alot of volunteering, decent amount of shadowing. I'm interested in UT system med schools (tx resident). Not happy w/ the mcat, but hoping to get several interviews. Inclined to not retest, apply now and take my chances. Thoughts?
I think you should go for it. The MCAT isn't everything in the application, and your score is relatively balanced. And with that GPA and your ECs, it sounds like you could do well for yourself. You might want to ask some people who know a lot more about the UT system as well...I'm not sure about their averages, but you're definitely doing the right thing by playing the in-state card! :)

good :luck:!

vmc303 said:
I got a 35, but an unbalanced one -- 14 V, 11 BS, 10 PS. Some people have said that adcoms prefer a more balanced score, which has me worried. I was a humanities major, and took all my science courses post-bac, so I feel like I already have something to prove in the sciences.
Those people are idiots. All of your scores are above average to way above average. How can you possibly say that your score is counted as lesser than a 10 V, 10 BS, 10 PS? They are speaking of scores like 14V, 13V, 6P or something like that.

The only thing I could see is that a 12V 12B 11P would be slightly better than a 14V 11B 10B. But it would be only a slight advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
vmc303 said:
I got a 35, but an unbalanced one -- 14 V, 11 BS, 10 PS. Some people have said that adcoms prefer a more balanced score, which has me worried. I was a humanities major, and took all my science courses post-bac, so I feel like I already have something to prove in the sciences. Is it worth considering a retake, if I'm confident I can raise my two science scores by 4 or 5 points combined? I'm going to apply right now anyway, so the question isn't whether to hold off on apps, but whether it's worth it to devote these next two months to studying and bringing my science scores up to where they should be.

And yes, I know that people usually have a hard time raising their scores by much from April to August, but I more or less took the April MCAT "cold" (no practice tests, ~3 weeks of studying, while also taking three science pre-reqs), so I've got pretty good reason to think that I'd be able to raise it considerably with better preparation.
i highly suggest that you do NOT retake. all your scores are in the double digits. you will be fine. you'd be taking a huge risk if you were to retake.

scentimint said:
I think you should go for it. The MCAT isn't everything in the application, and your score is relatively balanced. And with that GPA and your ECs, it sounds like you could do well for yourself. You might want to ask some people who know a lot more about the UT system as well...I'm not sure about their averages, but you're definitely doing the right thing by playing the in-state card! :)

good :luck:!

Thanks scentimint for your insight. It is very much appreciated. I'm a little numb from the shock and any advice is welcomed.

I took the April MCAT and recieved VR:07, PS:11, BS:11, WS:N. I took the MCAT before taking OChem so I might improve in the BS but Im not sure if I can do better in VR. I am a physics major with a 3.8SGPA and 3.75 cumulative GPA. I have done research for two summers at physics labs and 1 summer at a research hospital. I dont care what school I get accepted to I just want to go to med school. My advisor is no help so I need some input from anyone who can help. SHOULD I RETAKE OR DO I HAVE A CHANCE GETTING INTO ANY SCHOOL.

madphysicist84 said:
I took the April MCAT and recieved VR:07, PS:11, BS:11, WS:N. I took the MCAT before taking OChem so I might improve in the BS but Im not sure if I can do better in VR. I am a physics major with a 3.8SGPA and 3.75 cumulative GPA. I have done research for two summers at physics labs and 1 summer at a research hospital. I dont care what school I get accepted to I just want to go to med school. My advisor is no help so I need some input from anyone who can help. SHOULD I RETAKE OR DO I HAVE A CHANCE GETTING INTO ANY SCHOOL.

Well if you don't think you can improve then don't retake it...

But I suggest you do retake it and study for the verbal. Get it to at least an 8.

madphysicist84 said:

this is the key sentence right here

unless you are absolutely positive that you can improve that verbal score by 2-3 points, don't retake it

going from a 7 to 8 is not going to make or break you getting into 1 school in my opinion, unless you are school specific, which according to your post you are not.

apply to a decent range of schools, I think you will do well, your science scores are great

I'm not entirely sure if I want to retake the MCAT. I already submitted my primary and I didn't plan to check the August MCAT box. I want them to consider me based on my 29. I figure an improvement on my MCAT score is a nice thing to bring up on my interview or place me higher on the waiting list should that happen. (Let's hope it only happens at a few schools). I have pretty solid Extracurriculars and I will have strong Letters of Rec.

My question really is how much financial aid is available based on the MCAT score? Is there a possibility of more scholarships for having a 31-35 over a 29? Also, the problem is that my girlfriend is now in pre-pharmacy, and I would like the opportunity to be in the same city or within an hour or two of her. I understand it may be difficult, but she is applying to 24 schools and I am applying to 19. So we will have to see how it goes.

I was going to set a goal to retake if I got lower than an 8 on the verbal section. (During the verbal section I was confused and then a little rattled that the proctor wasn't saying 5 minutes left. Reason being is that I was thinking 85 minutes was an hour and 5 minutes. My brain obviously wasn't functioning at that moment)

My April score: 29M
10 BS, 10 PS, 9 Verbal, and an ungodly M on the writing section. I can assuredly say the M is a fluke.

If I study for the next 7 weeks I am sure I can improve in every section. I studied for roughly 2 weeks before the April test due to my heavy course load of 19 credits, research, and TAing. (Stupid thing to do).

My overall GPA is a 3.6 with a 3.54 BCPM. It would be higher if I would have dropped my lovely 1.0 in calc II knowing it would be part of my AMCAS grade. (I retook the class and got a 3.6.) I've taken heavy course loads every semester, took a large number of advanced level courses, and took summer classes every year.

You can see that I applied to 19 schools. I'm a Michigan resident and I think I've chosen a good list of schools.

Applied to:
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
Drexel University
Emory University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Jefferson Medical College
Loyola University Chicago
Michigan State University
Northwestern University
Rosalind Franklin University
Saint Louis University
Temple University
Tufts University
University of Chicago
University of Cincinnati
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
Wayne State University

Yes... Long post. If you read through all of that and understand the main idea you will receive a complimentary point increase on your verbal section! :cool:

Of course check my link in my sig for my MDapp page. Any advice is appreciated. My Pre-med adviser seems to be MIA.

Members don't see this ad :)
madphysicist84 said:

7 verbal is a tough break. But you have solid B and P scores and good GPA and EC's. Make darn sure you write a top notch personal statement (as well as secondary app essays). Some (not all) med schools emphasize verbal because it evaluates reading comprehension and med students have enourmous amounts of reading to do in very little time. Check the MSAR, they give stats about med school acceptance for students with various scores on each section. I was concerned about my 7 in PS, and it showed basically a 20% or so acceptance rate of students that had a 7 on PS. So still many got in.

your scores are good enough for Wayne or MI State. However, if you have your heart set on UMich, then you'll have to get something around 35 in order to be considerated competitive (with your given background and GPA).

happydays said:
your scores are good enough for Wayne or MI State. However, if you have your heart set on UMich, then you'll have to get something around 35 in order to be considerated competitive (with your given background and GPA).

I know. I was wondering more along the lines of financial aid to those schools that I am within the MCAT range of.

gapotts2003 said:
I know. I was wondering more along the lines of financial aid to those schools that I am within the MCAT range of.
your chances are not high, since Wayne and State don't have that much money to go around. I do know 1 person with a full ride to Wayne, but that person was also accepted to UMich with an amazing background. It's possible, just not probable.

For my own story, I was accepted to State and Wayne, but I was not offered huge finaid packages. My stats are higher, and I had 3 publications in professional journals (in addition to getting the highest honors at UM for undergrad).

Then again, I'm not on the finaid committee, so I can't tell for sure.

I applied to med school last year and was accepted however dont plan on attending... I am going to dental school instead. I got a 30 and got into Georgetown and West Virginia University... Based on that i think your 29 is great if you have a 3.8

Also, other schools you should consider are:

Marshall and WVU. A friend of mine with a 27 got accepted right on the spot (at his interview) to Marshall. he only had a summer's worth of research experience, not to much volunteering or ECA.

I hope that helped

Best of luck

mo magic carpet said:
I applied to med school last year and was accepted however dont plan on attending... I am going to dental school instead. I got a 30 and got into Georgetown and West Virginia University... Based on that i think your 29 is great if you have a 3.8

Also, other schools you should consider are:

Marshall and WVU. A friend of mine with a 27 got accepted right on the spot (at his interview) to Marshall. he only had a summer's worth of research experience, not to much volunteering or ECA.

I hope that helped

Best of luck

I have a 3.6 and not a 3.8... And I'm not applying to more schools than the ones on my list.

I'm likely going to retake the test. I have 7 hard weeks to study. (Almost 3X the amount of time I studied for April). And I won't have the MCAT in the middle of final exams this time around...

This has got to be SOMEWHERE in here. I just wanted to check - can you still apply this year if you take the test in January? I heard somewhere you could, but I can't find the thing. Obviously, it's not all that hot for your chances if it's possible.

Thanks! SDN is so awesome.

Caboose.

Sartre79 said:
I got a 12 VR, 8 PS, 10 BS....o for writing sample. I have 3.8 scigpa...3.8 gpa overall. Kind of worried about the distribution.

I think with your high GPA you should be fine. It really all depends on the school you want to get into. Where are you looking to go? :thumbup:

confused-one said:
So, a serious question:

VR: 11 PS: 9 BS: 11

GPA: 3.4

Should I retake it?

It really depends on where you want to go to school. I would say stay where you are, that is a solid score.

monkeymeg2 said:
VR: 11
PS: 08
BS: 10

29P

GPA: 3.85, 3.81 bcpm

How bad is that 8 in physical sciences?

Your GPA and other scores are good enough to get you in.

Looking for some extreme help in the BS section and writing.

VR - 10
PS - 12
BS - 4
Writing - M

Its been about 10 years since I have had biology. I recently took organic chem 1 & 2 at the local university and spanked out a B+ and an A-. But I have not had any biology since Bio 1 and 2 in 95/96.

exnavyflier said:
Looking for some extreme help in the BS section and writing.

VR - 10
PS - 12
BS - 4
Writing - M

Its been about 10 years since I have had biology. I recently took organic chem 1 & 2 at the local university and spanked out a B+ and an A-. But I have not had any biology since Bio 1 and 2 in 95/96.

The Examkrackers Biology review book and 1001 questions book always seem to get rave reviews...those may be worth looking into.

EDIT: BTW, it's great to see another Navy person in here!

chilon85 said:
So with a 23 I probably won't have a chance with any DO School either? I just spoke to my parents and I don't feel comfortable taking it this August since I will only have like a month and a half to study for it and am taking classes over the summer. I am planning on just applying as is and then seeing what happens and then taking it APRIL 2007 when I am a senior. I might loose a year in between but this is what I really want to do and I am just so devestated!

What do you guys think about me just applying and seeing what happens and then taking it in April 2007 instead of this august?

Remember that MCAT is going to be CBT, so you can take it January, or any time really. I think there is going to be 22 test dates a year! Good Luck!

natusss said:
Remember that MCAT is going to be CBT, so you can take it January, or any time really. I think there is going to be 22 test dates a year! Good Luck!

what's a cbt!? i am sorry but i'm new to this so could you tell me like i'm two?

when are these changes taking effect?

thanks1~

MedicalGirl943 said:
what's a cbt!? i am sorry but i'm new to this so could you tell me like i'm two?

when are these changes taking effect?

thanks1~

Computer-based testing. The MCAT will be computerized after the last paper and pencil August test. There is also a CBT MCAT this August. You have the choice.

i took the exam in april, and am still contemplating retaking it in august.
VR-7
PS-11
BS-12
the verbal was quite a shock to me cuz on my practice tests i was scoring on the average 10s or so. how much do schools look upon verbal scores?? i live in cali, and would love to stay here, but with these scores, i don't quite know if i would get in. august is only a month and a half away, and i'm not sure if i can improve the low VR score. GPA-3.56, graduated a few years ago, working fulltime in research. i'd really appreciate any feedback. thanks.

i love help said:
i took the exam in april, and am still contemplating retaking it in august.
VR-7
PS-11
BS-12
the verbal was quite a shock to me cuz on my practice tests i was scoring on the average 10s or so. how much do schools look upon verbal scores?? i live in cali, and would love to stay here, but with these scores, i don't quite know if i would get in. august is only a month and a half away, and i'm not sure if i can improve the low VR score. GPA-3.56, graduated a few years ago, working fulltime in research. i'd really appreciate any feedback. thanks.

Definitely re-take. 7 VR will kill your otherwise good app.

it seems like that verbal score shouldn't go along with the ps and bs! i've read that the verbal scores directly correlate with passing the usmle, and med schools know that, so don't dismiss the verbal section. so knowing that, i would retake it if you know you can improve it [and your ps and bs won't go down terribly either. those are great scores in those sections, congrats on that btw!]

thanks Schaden Freud, and jcohen85. i really appreciate the advice. i know i should take it, and prob will, but am freaked by the thought of sitting through another MCAT.

VR- 7
PS - 14
BS - 11
WS - Q
32Q

i have applied EDP to my state school, but if I don't get in, should I retake?

3.92 BCPM and total GPA
the rest of my info is in mdapps

rajad10 said:
VR- 7
PS - 14
BS - 11
WS - Q
32Q

i have applied EDP to my state school, but if I don't get in, should I retake?

3.92 BCPM and total GPA
the rest of my info is in mdapps

There is a lot to consider in your situation:

1. You wont here back from USF until OCtober 1st anyway right? So if you were to take the MCAT you would only be a few weeks behind anyway.

2. 32 is a killer score...can you improve?
-Will verbal go up for sure?
-Will Physical Sciences go down? How about Bio?

3. How do the schools you are applying to weight the 7 in verbal? Some schools probably wont care to much since you rocked the sciences whereas some might.

My advice; start studying but research the schools you may want to apply to if you don't get into USF. IF a 7 is ok, then why retake?

BTW, you GPA is solid also, so I would't think a retake is necessary for you. Good luck man.

DrVanNostran said:
There is a lot to consider in your situation:

1. You wont here back from USF until OCtober 1st anyway right? So if you were to take the MCAT you would only be a few weeks behind anyway.

2. 32 is a killer score...can you improve?
-Will verbal go up for sure?
-Will Physical Sciences go down? How about Bio?

3. How do the schools you are applying to weight the 7 in verbal? Some schools probably wont care to much since you rocked the sciences whereas some might.

My advice; start studying but research the schools you may want to apply to if you don't get into USF. IF a 7 is ok, then why retake?

BTW, you GPA is solid also, so I would't think a retake is necessary for you. Good luck man.

thanks, puts a lot of things in perspective

tik-tik-clock said:
Killer Physics score.

What'd you use to study? How did you study physics?

i did all the kaplan topical tests. while hard, they zone in on all of the different things covered. also did about 9 practice tests (AAMC and Kaplan). My notion was that the more kinds of questions I see, the better I'll do. it seemed to work.

sealpup said:
Hi.
I had a retake question
I have a 29 P MCAT score and I graduated undergrad in 3 years. What would have been my last year I will be doing an MPH at an Ivy League school instead. My GPA is about 3.6 and my BCMP is around 3.6 . I have a lot of EC and hospital volunteer experiences. Is this good enough to get into a good school? Thanks!

If you say good school as in a ranked top 10 school kinda school then I'd try to break 30 and get in the 33+ range.

If you got 29 the first time its totally doable.

Dr. Geoff said:
your 9's aren't decent... that 5 is killer, you might want to retake... avg DO mcat is a 24 i think, so could be fine...but a 5 is a dagger... i took it twice... got a 26 and now I just got a 30... also PS is supposed to be the easiest to improve on

how long did you wait to re-take the test? how did you prepare for the MCAT the second time around?

I got a 10 BS 10PS 9VR Q on writing.

3.38 BCPM and 3.7 Cum.

I'm doing a degree in Biology with a chem minor and a separate degree in Management.

My state school's avg is 30 for the MCAT (10's all across) with a 3.5 cum GPA. This school is my first choice.

Question is, should I take the MCAT again to get a better chance? And if I do, how much of an improvement will make a difference? I mean, if I get a 30, does it really look that great for someone to have taken it twice? Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

My MD Apps profile: Is he dreaming?

ReachingTruth said:
I got a 10 BS 10PS 9VR Q on writing.

3.38 BCPM and 3.7 Cum.

I'm doing a degree in Biology with a chem minor and a separate degree in Management.

My state's school's avg is 30 for the MCAT (10's all across) with a 3.5 cum GPA. This school is my first choice.

Question is, should I take the MCAT again to get a better chance? And if I do, how much of an improvement will make a difference? I mean, if I get a 30, does it really look that great for someone to have taken it twice? Any constructive criticism is appreciated.
whats BCMP?

Hi everyone!
Thank you in advance for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

So, I took the 1/23 MCAT exam and scored a 29 ( PS 9, V7, BS13 )
My PS score was actually about 2 pts lower than my average, Verbal was what I was consistently getting, and BS score was the highest I've ever gotten (practice AAMC exams I was scoring 10/11). The night before the exam I was pretty nervous, I got only about an hour of sleep. The morning of, I actually threw up... :( All of which might have ruined my PS score-but who knows!

cGPA: 3.76 sGPA:3.72 (attended UC Irvine)
Graduated with latin honors and honors in Biological Sciences

Clinical research associate in Emergency Medicine- 2.5 years
Chemical education research- 2 years
Employed tutor by my university- 3 years
Coordinator for department tutoring for Ochem- 1.5 years
Clinical care extender internship (volunteering)- 3 years
CampMed counselor- 1 year
5 strong LORs already written

I plan on applying to both DO and MD programs. I would be incredibly happy attending a DO program because I truly believe in the holistic approach to helping people; however, I am afraid that I am limiting my options for residencies. After looking through MSAR, many of the MD programs require at least 8 or above on verbal. So, I'm pretty certain that I will have to retake if I am serious about getting into an MD program. But for DOs, specifically WesternU, will my stats be competitive...even with a 7 on verbal?

I do understand that I will need to approach the exam differently if I want to score higher, but this time I won't exactly have all the time in the world to study. The first time I studied for the MCAT, I only studied-nothing else, which probably caused me to burn out towards the end. I studied from Sept-Jan. While I was taking the AAMC practice exams, I actually started off with 30s and 31s but towards the end I started slipping to 27s and 28s-which is an interesting trend...you would think it would increase with practice! Again, nerves are a huge factor for me.

I signed up for the June 5, 2014 exam and will be applying this 2014 cycle. I realize that I will have a lot on my plate...re-studying for the exam, completing the application process, and I recently got hired by UCSF as a clinical research coordinator (a full time job). It does seem like a lot to take on for the next 3 months+, but I've noticed during undergrad when I took a harder class load with multiple ECs I did much better overall than with an extremely easy class load. I guess when you have so much on your plate, you learn to manage your time more efficiently???

ORR should I just not retake--and try my luck with my 29 MCAT score, GPA, and ECs?!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Thank you in advance for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

So, I took the 1/23 MCAT exam and scored a 29 ( PS 9, V7, BS13 )
My PS score was actually about 2 pts lower than my average, Verbal was what I was consistently getting, and BS score was the highest I've ever gotten (practice AAMC exams I was scoring 10/11). The night before the exam I was pretty nervous, I got only about an hour of sleep. The morning of, I actually threw up... :( All of which might have ruined my PS score-but who knows!

cGPA: 3.76 sGPA:3.72 (attended UC Irvine)
Graduated with latin honors and honors in Biological Sciences

Clinical research associate in Emergency Medicine- 2.5 years
Chemical education research- 2 years
Employed tutor by my university- 3 years
Coordinator for department tutoring for Ochem- 1.5 years
Clinical care extender internship (volunteering)- 3 years
CampMed counselor- 1 year
5 strong LORs already written

I plan on applying to both DO and MD programs. I would be incredibly happy attending a DO program because I truly believe in the holistic approach to helping people; however, I am afraid that I am limiting my options for residencies. After looking through MSAR, many of the MD programs require at least 8 or above on verbal. So, I'm pretty certain that I will have to retake if I am serious about getting into an MD program. But for DOs, specifically WesternU, will my stats be competitive...even with a 7 on verbal?

I do understand that I will need to approach the exam differently if I want to score higher, but this time I won't exactly have all the time in the world to study. The first time I studied for the MCAT, I only studied-nothing else, which probably caused me to burn out towards the end. I studied from Sept-Jan. While I was taking the AAMC practice exams, I actually started off with 30s and 31s but towards the end I started slipping to 27s and 28s-which is an interesting trend...you would think it would increase with practice! Again, nerves are a huge factor for me.

I signed up for the June 5, 2014 exam and will be applying this 2014 cycle. I realize that I will have a lot on my plate...re-studying for the exam, completing the application process, and I recently got hired by UCSF as a clinical research coordinator (a full time job). It does seem like a lot to take on for the next 3 months+, but I've noticed during undergrad when I took a harder class load with multiple ECs I did much better overall than with an extremely easy class load. I guess when you have so much on your plate, you learn to manage your time more efficiently???

ORR should I just not retake--and try my luck with my 29 MCAT score, GPA, and ECs?!

Thank you!

Are you aware this is an old thread way back to 2006? There is a current sticky thread on this same subject at the top of the front page of this forum.

Hi everyone, new to SND but any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Please keep in mind that I will be applying primarily to DO schools. I have a 3.3 gpa (science and overall) with very competitive ECs and clinical experiences.

Mcat scores were received yesterday. I walked away with a soul crushing 26 (8/9/9). I felt sufficiently prepared for the test. I took all of the AAMC practice tests and scored in the 29-32 range with a 31 average. I believe my low score had more to do with the mcat head games than my actual understanding of the material. I never found my test taking rhythm and felt strapped for time in all 3 sections.

Now my pre health adviser seems to think that I do not need to retake the test, however I feel that with my gpa a 26 wont cut it.

I would like to retake the test as soon as possible, maybe in the next 6 weeks.
Is that a good strategy for someone who prepared well for the test but didnt preform on the actual test, or is that hasty?

Should I approach the retake differently?

I have a 11 Verbal, 10 Physical Science, 11 Biological Science. I did not take a writing portion. However my GPA is 3.5. And I do not have that much volunteering or job shadowing. I applied last year and did not get in (and no interviews in MD schools) should I spend the next couple of months only studying for the MCAT (like my dad suggest)? Or should I instead spend time volunteering, job shadowing, working as a scribe/emt training and then get into a masters program (I already finished applying to a couple.) and work on other aspects of my resume?

Here are my stats.

Overall 27
PS 9
VR 8
BS 10

cGPA 3.62

EC: Publication (abstract), 1 year of Clinical neuropedatric research + conference presentations (2 awards), I currently work at a non-profit (Brain injury society), served for 5+ years, PADI certified, Semester of school in France (HS), Bilingual (french and English) + lots of other volunteer experiences (Eg. hospital, research assistant, food bank, education facilitator,). I also play intramural ball hockey (non-competitive) haha