The OFFICIAL UCLA Waitlist Thread (2005 ed.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a bit early for the waitlist, i think ive seen only myself and one other person on SDN waitlisted, but ive been bored at work today so all the info i have dug up on this status is here:

last years thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=121939&page=1&highlight=ucla+waitlist

From the UCLA Office:
between 1/2 and 1/3 of people waitlisted get an acceptance, depending on the year. last year was closer to 1/3 from what i can tell. They start looking and taking people off the waitlist in late may.

From last year's thread:
People last year got the nod between May 20th or so and very late July, with most acceptances coming mid june and mid july. There sounds to be between 100 and 200 people on the list, with the majority of the waitlisters getting put on the list in april. there was some speculation about march waitlisters having better luck in years past, i dont know if this is true.

Status Page updates after your original update seem to be universally good news, and some people got called by the office with the good word while others didnt.

also there was a lot of talk about two different waitlists, an unranked primary list and another hold list, with everyone getting acceptances coming from the unranked primary list. anybody know if there are two this year? my letter didnt mention anything, just said "unranked waiting list" so i suppose im in the former category

Only one person got off the list in may last year and the most had to wait till mid june. it sounds pretty scary but people did get accepted, there were maybe 10 on sdn last year that got off the list all told, so some optomism is warranted i suppose.

anybody on the waitlist getting ready to wait it out? what kinds of letters are you going to send? i dont mean to revive the nervousness and neurotic craziness of the UCLA Final Decision Letters page but a good spot with info this year seems warranted (also the kid who started last year's ucla w/l thread was the first to get off :D ).

good luck to everyone on the waitlist
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Long_John said:
unfair, i wanted to start this thread. :mad:
just kidding. ;)
This year there seems not to have been a 'hold' list similar to years past in addition to a waitlist. This hold list was just a nicer way for UCLA to tell applicants that they are rejected as very rarely did anyone from the hold list get accepted. Now what I am wondering is how the absence of this hold list category is going to affect applicants this cycle. Will the rejection group be bigger only or will there more applicants shuttled into the general 'waitlist' category. If the latter is true, it could decrease the chances of being pulled off the waitlist.

how do you know there is no hold list this year? isn't it kind of early to tell?

bumpity bump bump

anybody here waiting for this one? got any ucla related news?

Members don't see this ad :)
opinionkitten said:
bumpity bump bump

anybody here waiting for this one? got any ucla related news?

they have been sending out acceptances as recently as May 17th (non-WL). I'm sure there will be movement off the waitlist soon! Keep us posted. :luck:

There's definitely a Hold list this year...CAUSE I'M ON IT......sucks. Does any one know if anyone ever got accepted from the Hold list?

I would venture to guess there will be little movement on the waitlist over the next week. There are still a number of applicants waiting for their intial decisions (me being one of them). The lady at the admissions office said they will hopefully finish all the remaining applications by the end of May. The big machine moves slowly. Good Luck! :luck:

i have heard the hold list is tantamount to rejection. The first priority list gives a 1/2-1/3 odds of getting a spot, and my understanding is that the hold list is if all of the first priority people get offered a spot and there are still more. nobody from last years thread said they got an acceptance off the hold list. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... perhaps im wrong

opinionkitten said:
i have heard the hold list is tantamount to rejection. The first priority list gives a 1/2-1/3 odds of getting a spot, and my understanding is that the hold list is if all of the first priority people get offered a spot and there are still more. nobody from last years thread said they got an acceptance off the hold list. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... perhaps im wrong
Unfortunately, I'll bet your not

Tomorrow is the last day the admissions office will be open for the month of May. If what the admissions secretary told me was true, we should be getting some replies. Any news anybody?

CAPTAIN KOONS said:
Tomorrow is the last day the admissions office will be open for the month of May. If what the admissions secretary told me was true, we should be getting some replies. Any news anybody?

I called today as well to see when final decisions for those left to be made will be sent out. She told me to expect them to go out on the 1st. So I'm assuming nothing until late next week if anything.

Shorty43 said:
I called today as well to see when final decisions for those left to be made will be sent out. She told me to expect them to go out on the 1st. So I'm assuming nothing until late next week if anything.

Final decision batch was mailed today it looks like. Please let this batch not be a bunch of rejections :scared:

Shorty43 said:
Final decision batch was mailed today it looks like. Please let this batch not be a bunch of rejections :scared:
Shorty,
Did your application status change on the UCLA website? Mine is still blank. I need closure! Good luck :luck:

CAPTAIN KOONS said:
Shorty,
Did your application status change on the UCLA website? Mine is still blank. I need closure! Good luck :luck:

Oh crap.. yours didn't change yet? Yeah mine changed. It says the letter was sent today. I'm preparing myself for some pretty bad news... at this point I'm just hoping waitlist. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Shorty43 said:
Oh crap.. yours didn't change yet? Yeah mine changed. It says the letter was sent today. I'm preparing myself for some pretty bad news... at this point I'm just hoping waitlist. :(

Mine changed today and I called in. I am on the unranked waitlist.

calberkeleygrl said:
Mine changed today and I called in. I am on the unranked waitlist.

I'm guessing I got the same then. Dang... I guess its better than a rejection right?

Isn't the unranked waitlist the "good" one, though? I believe it's the only one that actually has any movement. Good luck to those still waiting to hear.

UCLAstudent said:
Isn't the unranked waitlist the "good" one, though? I believe it's the only one that actually has any movement. Good luck to those still waiting to hear.

unranked is the good one, do not despair. i think this thread will see some good news in the next two weeks (also some wild speculation). good luck to you kids on the waitlist, i began to view it as a push and not necessarily bad news. youve got a 1/3 chance of getting an acceptance after interviewing and a 1/2 chance of getting one off the waitlist, so odds have improved slightly....

Do you know when they start looking at waitlisted applicants?

I'll throw my name into the pool of applicants that are still waiting to hear back. My status has yet to change. Hopefully we'll hear back soon! It looks like Captain Koons and I are the last two (on SDN anyway) who are still waiting.

I was looking at the trends from last years waitlist thread. As far as I can tell if your decision was made on the same day as someone elses it doesnt equate to the same decision. I do not think acceptances are all sent out on one day and waitlist on another. Each batch seems to be a mixed bag. What I did notice was waitlist movement picked up significantly this upcomming week last year.
I find it bizarre that the committee is giving out waitlist this late in the game. I was under the impression that the waitlist was given because the applicant was borderline. The committee has seen all its students and therefore should be able to conclude if the applicant is UCLA material. There is an outside chance the the class is still full and that is the reason the committee is giving out waitlist spots, but I doubt it. I will probably get my decision next week and I hope for acceptance or rejection so I can get on with my life. That is of course except if I am rejected :confused:

what does unranked waitlist really mean? does it mean that the list is, in fact, not ranked. period? (and that acceptances from this list are proverbially drawn out of a hat?)

or does it mean that the list is ranked, all right, but just not made public.

it seems very odd that there would not be SOME kind of system for choosing who comes off the waitlist.

CAPTAIN KOONS said:
I was looking at the trends from last years waitlist thread. As far as I can tell if your decision was made on the same day as someone elses it doesnt equate to the same decision. I do not think acceptances are all sent out on one day and waitlist on another. Each batch seems to be a mixed bag. What I did notice was waitlist movement picked up significantly this upcomming week last year.
I find it bizarre that the committee is giving out waitlist this late in the game. I was under the impression that the waitlist was given because the applicant was borderline. The committee has seen all its students and therefore should be able to conclude if the applicant is UCLA material. There is an outside chance the the class is still full and that is the reason the committee is giving out waitlist spots, but I doubt it. I will probably get my decision next week and I hope for acceptance or rejection so I can get on with my life. That is of course except if I am rejected :confused:

Great post. Solid information. I wish you the best of luck as I wait anxiously for my letter to arrive post memorial day weekend.

CAPTAIN KOONS said:

from paying attention to the ucla final decisions thread, ill have to disagree with you. status change dates were either acceptance batches where everyone getting a status change on a certain date got in, or waitlist batches where waitlists and rejects were given.

I just looked at the Final Decisions thread and it does seem to follow a trend (especially at the end) :oops: . I guess this means that knownell and I are waiting for an acceptance or rejection (since 2nd priority WL = rejection). This website has made waiting for my decision much more fun. I dont know about you guys, but I look forward to reading these post everyday. So keep em' commin :)

I just got the letter today and it is officially unranked waitlist. Has anyone got off the waitlist yet? From those of u who have looked at previous years' threads, do you know when people first started getting in?

calberkeleygrl said:
I just got the letter today and it is officially unranked waitlist. Has anyone got off the waitlist yet? From those of u who have looked at previous years' threads, do you know when people first started getting in?

read the first post of the thread

yah i got the unranked waitlist too and mine was sent 5/27... bleh :( and the wait continues

lilxsmilez said:
yah i got the unranked waitlist too and mine was sent 5/27... bleh :( and the wait continues

I too got the unranked waitlist... but like someone previously mentioned, its strange they are still waitlisting given that we're prob the last of the batch. It would make more sense to reject or accept, than waitlist. In anycase, I'm happy its not a rejection... but did all of your letters say something to the nature of being on a "2nd priority" unranked waitlist that prob won't move until July?

I know people have been saying that there is a ranked and an unranked waitlist (of which the latter is suppose to be higher priority)... but in my letter they told me I'm on a 2nd priority UNRANKED waitlist... so by 2nd priority do they mean 2nd only to those accepted already... or 2nd to another waitlist? I'm a bit confused... can anyone clarify? I'm thinking about calling in to ask anyway... but if anyone has any insight, it would greatly be appreciated.

Shorty43 said:
I too got the unranked waitlist... but like someone previously mentioned, its strange they are still waitlisting given that we're prob the last of the batch. It would make more sense to reject or accept, than waitlist. In anycase, I'm happy its not a rejection... but did all of your letters say something to the nature of being on a "2nd priority" unranked waitlist that prob won't move until July?

I know people have been saying that there is a ranked and an unranked waitlist (of which the latter is suppose to be higher priority)... but in my letter they told me I'm on a 2nd priority UNRANKED waitlist... so by 2nd priority do they mean 2nd only to those accepted already... or 2nd to another waitlist? I'm a bit confused... can anyone clarify? I'm thinking about calling in to ask anyway... but if anyone has any insight, it would greatly be appreciated.

hmm...i have no clue..mine said waiting list without ranking and that was it. I called them right now and they said that there will be movement from June 1 through July 1 from the unranked list.

Shorty43 said:

I believe both waitlists are unranked as of now, but there are two tiers. An "unranked waitlist" and a "2nd priority waitlist." Good luck!

I am too on the waitlist but found out in March. I spoke to the director of admissions, Lili Fobert, in March and she told me there was only one waitlist. I was put on the waitlist without ranking. The whole 2nd priority waitlist/hold list is news to me. I also spoke to Lili today and she told me that they currently have about 100 people on the waitlist. Right now, she has a full class and does not expect to pull anyone off of the waitlist until July.

From what I have been hearing from everyone, I am not sure what to believe anymore. I find it hard to believe that they will not pull anyone off of the waitlist until July. Anyone else have any updates?

As I mentioned previously, I doubt there is going to be any waitlist movement until the intial decision has been made on the remaining applicants. When those decisions will be made I dont know. I have called the admissions office a few times and have been given a different deadline each time. The latest word is the end of this week (I am having my doubts). But as one Dr. once said, " this is re-freakin-diculous :mad:

Shorty43 said:

This is my first time hearing about the "2nd priority unranked waitlist." We've established for sure that there's an unranked waitlist from which applicants are first accepted. Then if this list is exhausted, they go to the "hold list," which doesn't exactly happen -- hence the thinking hold = rejection. I've never heard the "hold list" being called the "2nd priority unranked waitlist." If indeed there are two tiers of waitlists and then a separate hold list, then that makes things really confusing. Plus in years past I think there's only been ONE unranked waitlist (i.e. no tiers) and one hold list.

Also, I think July is very late for waitlist movement to BEGIN. I'm sure that just like other schools waitlist activity continues well into July and August, but it doesn't BEGIN in July.

I guess time will tell! Good luck y'all. :luck:

yes, last years class did have a 2nd priority.

It is one unranked list in the sense that they (priority 1 & 2) are both unranked and belong to a single (i.e., UCLA) waitlist. However, the priority 2 group are held (hence the term "hold"=priority 2) until priority 1 is exhausted.

So look at it as groups within the same single waitlist :)

foxeeb1221 said:
I am too on the waitlist but found out in March. I spoke to the director of admissions, Lili Fobert, in March and she told me there was only one waitlist. I was put on the waitlist without ranking. The whole 2nd priority waitlist/hold list is news to me. I also spoke to Lili today and she told me that they currently have about 100 people on the waitlist. Right now, she has a full class and does not expect to pull anyone off of the waitlist until July.

From what I have been hearing from everyone, I am not sure what to believe anymore. I find it hard to believe that they will not pull anyone off of the waitlist until July. Anyone else have any updates?

I also heard June 1 through July 1. Are you absolutely sure?

July seems awfully late since orientation STARTS on Aug. 1.

UCLAstudent said:
July seems awfully late since orientation STARTS on Aug. 1.

I talked to the admissions office today as well... they said the 2nd priority unranked waitlist IS the "hold" list everyone is referring to. In the past they have dipped into that, but given the high number of students who are choosing to come this year (that are already accepted)... she told me she doubts they'll dip into the second list.

praying for lots of waitlist movement SOON! going insane :(

From the admission office, there are 2 waitlists
a) alternate list
b) hold list

From the actual words from the letter, there are also 2 waitlists
a) waitlist without ranking = 1st priority list
b) 2nd priority list ( i think this is unranked also)

anyway...UCLA waitlist is a bit confused...but hopefully we will hear good news sometime next week. Good luck everyone including myself!

gutye said:
I also heard June 1 through July 1. Are you absolutely sure?

Well, that is what the director of admissions told me. I can forward you the email if you like. It does sound really late to me...maybe it was her way of playing it safe and not leaking any false info.

Who knows? I am from NYC and if I get accepted, I will have to find housing, etc. Also, for this "2nd priority waitlist/hold list," do they let you know in your letter that you are on this list, or do you have to call and verify which list you are on. My letter just said waitlist without ranking.

This whole process stinks :confused:

foxeeb1221 said:
Well, that is what the director of admissions told me. I can forward you the email if you like. It does sound really late to me...maybe it was her way of playing it safe and not leaking any false info.

Who knows? I am from NYC and if I get accepted, I will have to find housing, etc. Also, for this "2nd priority waitlist/hold list," do they let you know in your letter that you are on this list, or do you have to call and verify which list you are on. My letter just said waitlist without ranking.

This whole process stinks :confused:

When in March did you get the email from Lili Forbert. I am in the same boat as you, I also live in NY. However, Im going overseas next week and wont be back until the end of July. What ever school I end up going to I need to get an apartment like yesterday. I seriously doubt they wont start taking people until July. My prediction is within three weeks a bunch of waitlisted SDNers will be recieving good news.

CAPTAIN KOONS said:
When in March did you get the email from Lili Forbert. I am in the same boat as you, I also live in NY. However, Im going overseas next week and wont be back until the end of July. What ever school I end up going to I need to get an apartment like yesterday. I seriously doubt they wont start taking people until July. My prediction is within three weeks a bunch of waitlisted SDNers will be recieving good news.

I asked Lili about the "unranked waitlist" in March, however, yesterday, I talked to her about the movement on the waitlist and that is when she told me that she had a full class and will not go into the waiting list until July.

Sounds a little crazy to me. I am going to Europe for a few weeks in July and would like to find out way before then so I can set up housing. I guess we will all have to wait and see if what Lili says is true. I believe that people will start hearing in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck to all you UCLA waitlistees!

I just got off the phone with admissions. The lady said all the remaining initial decision letters are being sent out today. I sense a great disturbance in the force. :(

marilyn said:
praying for lots of waitlist movement SOON! going insane :(

Hey Marilyn,
You and me both. I'm hoping that the whole 1/2 or 1/3 acceptance holds true this year.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!

The force is strong with the UCLA admissions committee!

WOW!!! Way to go! :D Will I be seeing you for sure in August? ;)

HOLY $@#$! CONGRATS Captain Koons! :) My final decision was also changed today! Did you call the admissions office? I have to wait until tomorrow now to truly find out on my own. But according to past patterns, I'm hoping it's an acceptance too!

How am I going to sleep tonight?

Oooh, Kownell, I hope you get in, too! :D Good luck!

CAPTAIN KOONS said:
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!

The force is strong with the UCLA admissions committee!

Congrats Koons!