The Official UCLA waitlist thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
emeri is one lucky punk haha. jp :p

hearing this month is always lovely. im sure the month will pass by quickly...

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda new to this and haven't posted before. But yeah, here to join you guys on this waitlist deal at UCLA. Interviewed in March and never got any response till when I just call them to hear that "you are going to be in our alternate list." Seem they haven't even officially put me in yet.. Gosh this process is dragging so long. Anyways, couldn't get much info out of them but that "a good number of the 100 ppl on the waitlist usually gets in." Whatever that means. This process has been such a horrible experience for me! Anyways, good luck to all of you here in the list! Keep up your hopes and I'm sure things will turn out well.

tpo said:
Kinda new to this and haven't posted before. But yeah, here to join you guys on this waitlist deal at UCLA. Interviewed in March and never got any response till when I just call them to hear that "you are going to be in our alternate list." Seem they haven't even officially put me in yet.. Gosh this process is dragging so long. Anyways, couldn't get much info out of them but that "a good number of the 100 ppl on the waitlist usually gets in." Whatever that means. This process has been such a horrible experience for me! Anyways, good luck to all of you here in the list! Keep up your hopes and I'm sure things will turn out well.
Yeah.. whats "a good number"? 99 people.... 30 people???? I don't know why they can't give each applicant a vague idea of what their chances of getting in are. I would settle for "You don't have a chance in hell" or "Things looks positive for you".... Any type of information would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any hope for 2nd priority waitlisters this year?? I don't quite understand the point of having such a waitlist; it seems impossible to get in from the first place anyways. And from these last couple of posts, the situation seems pretty abysmal.

I'll fight to the end, it's either gonna be a miracle or another post-interview rejection letter.

When I asked them about the waitlists, they said that they normally go through half the unranked list.

Hi, is the unranked list referring to the 1st priority waitlist or the 2nd priority waitlist? Some previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that the former is unranked, but I also remember from my letter the 2nd priority (hold list) is unranked. So are there two unranked waitlists then? Sorry if my question has already been answered in another post. Thanks!!

Buddha said:
When I asked them about the waitlists, they said that they normally go through half the unranked list.

speedbird001 said:
Hi, is the unranked list referring to the 1st priority waitlist or the 2nd priority waitlist? Some previous posts on this thread seem to indicate that the former is unranked, but I also remember from my letter the 2nd priority (hold list) is unranked. So are there two unranked waitlists then? Sorry if my question has already been answered in another post. Thanks!!

Speed, you're on the 2nd priority waitlist...good luck to you.

Hmmmm.. half of the waitlist seems reasonable..... guess we should all cross our fingers that we are on the upper half of that list, rather than the bottom!

speedbird001 said:
Is there any hope for 2nd priority waitlisters this year?? I don't quite understand the point of having such a waitlist; it seems impossible to get in from the first place anyways. And from these last couple of posts, the situation seems pretty abysmal.

I'll fight to the end, it's either gonna be a miracle or another post-interview rejection letter.

You took the words RIGHT out of my head and onto this forum!!! I'll fight to the end right with you. I took it pretty hard when I initially got the HOLD decision letter back in feb, but I found that over time I've coped a little better and have come to terms that I will probably not be at UCLA next year. :(

bump.....let's hope for some movement on Monday!!

kweenkong said:
You took the words RIGHT out of my head and onto this forum!!! I'll fight to the end right with you. I took it pretty hard when I initially got the HOLD decision letter back in feb, but I found that over time I've coped a little better and have come to terms that I will probably not be at UCLA next year. :(

I'm actually feeling alright with this hold list deal, as I have been accepted to UCI, and I like it a lot over there. I remember that both my UCI and UCLA final decision letters were sent out on the same day. First, it was a tremendous relief and joy to get the call from UCI about my acceptance that morning; then as the days went on, I became really anxious about my UCLA letter (it took about 5 days from the day the letter was sent to get to my mailbox). I'd be very happy attending UCI, but I also like UCLA a lot.

I went to the UCLA Office of Admissions last week, and they said that there's been a great deal of movement on the waitlist. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the time being.

Kweenkong, congrats on your acceptance to Northwestern. I interviewed there, and I loved the locale of the school. Hope everything works out for you at the end, and like before, I'll fight to the end with ya for UCLA. :)

speedbird001 said:
I'm actually feeling alright with this hold list deal, as I have been accepted to UCI, and I like it a lot over there. I remember that both my UCI and UCLA final decision letters were sent out on the same day. First, it was a tremendous relief and joy to get the call from UCI about my acceptance that morning; then as the days went on, I became really anxious about my UCLA letter (it took about 5 days from the day the letter was sent to get to my mailbox). I'd be very happy attending UCI, but I also like UCLA a lot.

I went to the UCLA Office of Admissions last week, and they said that there's been a great deal of movement on the waitlist. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the time being.

Kweenkong, congrats on your acceptance to Northwestern. I interviewed there, and I loved the locale of the school. Hope everything works out for you at the end, and like before, I'll fight to the end with ya for UCLA. :)
great deal of movement on the waitlist!! who are these crazy people that don't post on SDN??

usdtdc said:
great deal of movement on the waitlist!! who are these crazy people that don't post on SDN??

While I'm trying to be optimistic here, I don't want to creat any sense of false hope. Certainly the response that I got is quite different from those seen in some other posts on this thread, and so I have no clue as to where the waitlist situation stands right now. Maybe there's a great deal of movement on the waitlist, but the number of people on it is large to begin with. Hopefully, there will be many more movement to come, but the lady mentioned that everything's pretty much settled around mid-July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to somebody at the admissions office last week and they said that there has NOT been any waitlist movement yet and that we should expect movement in the next few weeks to come.

Lakers4in5 said:
I spoke to somebody at the admissions office last week and they said that there has NOT been any waitlist movement yet and that we should expect movement in the next few weeks to come.

Seems reasonable.. There are probably spots opening up, but it takes them time to get their act together and figure out who they want to fill those spots with.... In the meantime, we'll just keep waiting!!!! :eek:

Hey party peoples,
What happened to those people with the letters dated 6/4?

We haven't gotten them yet. The hamsters are making their way up the coast. I can hear the patter of tiny paws...no, wait, those are probably those of my own guinea pigs in lab. UCLA should get faster rodents for delivery...maybe mice or rats.

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Hey party peoples,
What happened to those people with the letters dated 6/4?

I am on the UCLA waitlist and my final decision status just changed from 4/22 to 6/7.....anybody else??? Is this good news? Does UCLA historically call it's waitlisees when they are picked or just send snail mail......ahhh!!!!!!

usdtdc said:
I am on the UCLA waitlist and my final decision status just changed from 4/22 to 6/7.....anybody else??? Is this good news? Does UCLA historically call it's waitlisees when they are picked or just send snail mail......ahhh!!!!!!

hey usdtdc, if you get off of the waitlist :luck: , put in a good word for me at usc!!! :p

usdtdc said:

That's great news! I'm pretty sure that's an acceptance! Make sure to keep us posted!

Smile'n'Wink MD said:
That's great news! I'm pretty sure that's an acceptance! Make sure to keep us posted!
yeah pretty much an acceptance. congrats.
i want a letter.

Sure enough.......I'm IN!!!! I hope things keep moving for all of you. Good luck.

Hey everyone, and congrats usdtdc! Another new sdn-er here, so the meanings of such lingo as "bump" are sadly lost on me. But I am also waitlisted at ucla. Wondering how long y'all were planning on waiting for this decision? I think that if I don't hear by July 1st, I'm going to withdraw. I can't wait forever- gotta figure out apartments, moving, etc. Good luck to all :)

Ok, I finally got up the courage to call, and I got waitlisted.

BUMPity BUMP!!!!!! :luck:

Contrary to what I have posted before, I don't think I'm over UCLA yet. I still want to go there veryyyyyyyy badly and I'm on second priority. And I was thinking to myself....that if I were in the scenario where it was a day before I was to register for med school and I got a last minute call from UCLA that they wanted me off the waitlist (in my dreams but a girl can still hope), I would drop everything in a heartbeat, book the next flight to LA and hug everyone in the admissions committee. So that was my pointless ranting. Thanks for reading. :p

hey everyone,

i have been keeping up with all the posts. looks like only a few people are getting off the waitlist. i was waitlisted on the unranked list on 2/14 and haven't heard a word since then. i would say the same thing as kweenkong. i will seriously hitchhike with random strangers from my work in the east coast to UCLA if i ever got a call the day before classes start. haha...

best of luck to all of us! let's see who among us will be next off the waitlist. =)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!! :luck:

Getting the call the day before school begins can happen, as in the case of a doctor I know who graduated from UCLA med school many years ago. She apparently got two phone calls, both on the very last day of summer vacation for UCLA people. The first was from UCLA, followed by another call from Univ. of Pittsburgh an hour later. Only thing I don't know is which waitlist she was on.

After hearing this miracle story, I'm not giving my hope despite my 2nd priority waitlist status. :)

speedbird001 said:
Getting the call the day before school begins can happen, as in the case of a doctor I know who graduated from UCLA med school many years ago. She apparently got two phone calls, both on the very last day of summer vacation for UCLA people. The first was from UCLA, followed by another call from Univ. of Pittsburgh an hour later. Only thing I don't know is which waitlist she was on.

After hearing this miracle story, I'm not giving my hope despite my 2nd priority waitlist status. :)

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey everyone,

I called UCLA today to get some more info on the waitlist. The person I spoke to said that since the school begins in early August, the latest that we would probably know about getting in or not is around the middle of July. :( Hopefully this helps any of you in your planning for where to go. Take care!

Bad news from the Admissions office. I called today and asked about my status and the waitlist. The lady on the phone told me that all of the open spots in the class have been filled as of right now. The committee will meet again to select more students off the waitlist if more people drop the program. So basically.... its either over, or going to be a last minute phone call.

About two weeks ago I called and was told the same thing. That all the spots were filled and they were just waiting to see if anyone else was dropping out. Then I called an hour later and talked to another lady in the admissions office and she told me something different...that they were still actively filling the class and that they are near the end of the process of deciding who got those spots and sending those letters out. She made it clear to me that while most of the decisions have been made, those students have not necessarily been contacted yet by letter or phone.

Maybe it depends who you talk to and what mood they are in for explanations. I guess I am just trying to hold out hope for a late acceptance like the rest of us, but that is what I heard.

P.S. I work with a former UCLA medstudent and resident (who was on the admissions committee) who told me that the story of the second lady was much more accurate.

I guess we will see

Hey guys, from your experiences, what's the common theme in people that have either gotten straight in or been pulled off the waitlist? Thanks!

jattmalva said:
Hey guys, from your experiences, what's the common theme in people that have either gotten straight in or been pulled off the waitlist? Thanks!

:confused: ... :idea: ... they're all pre-med? :eek:

:smuggrin:

mrbfour said:
About two weeks ago I called and was told the same thing. That all the spots were filled and they were just waiting to see if anyone else was dropping out. Then I called an hour later and talked to another lady in the admissions office and she told me something different...that they were still actively filling the class and that they are near the end of the process of deciding who got those spots and sending those letters out. She made it clear to me that while most of the decisions have been made, those students have not necessarily been contacted yet by letter or phone.

Maybe it depends who you talk to and what mood they are in for explanations. I guess I am just trying to hold out hope for a late acceptance like the rest of us, but that is what I heard.

P.S. I work with a former UCLA medstudent and resident (who was on the admissions committee) who told me that the story of the second lady was much more accurate.

I guess we will see

I hope you're right.... Maybe there are still some of us that have yet to be contacted.

i called today and the lady said that all the spots were currently full. then she asked me if i had an acceptance at another school and where it was located.

sometimes the best things can happen when you least expect it...thats what i?m going to keep in mind.

Padres248 said:
i called today and the lady said that all the spots were currently full. then she asked me if i had an acceptance at another school and where it was located.

sometimes the best things can happen when you least expect it...thats what i?m going to keep in mind.

Can you make it less subtle for us? I tried reading your post 3 times and still don't understand what you're trying to say. :confused:

Wow. Can't believe I'm still waiting for a decision post interview since February...

dabenxiong said:
Can you make it less subtle for us? I tried reading your post 3 times and still don't understand what you're trying to say. :confused:

Yeah seriously...I have no idea what you are trying to say...did you get in? Do they give preference to students who don't have a California acceptance yet?

i didn?t get in. i just meant that i?m not going to think about the waitlist for a while.

:( what sad news about the class being filled and all. it's june 21 already....more than a month after waitlists were being looked at for the first time. i think that it might be safe to say that we better settle on the schools we got into now. oh well...shucks.

friggin a...

I just got in!!!! I just checked my status page after reading the posts today and it was updated today. When I called the admin office, they told me that they just keyed in the change.

Buddha said:
I just got in!!!! I just checked my status page after reading the posts today and it was updated today. When I called the admin office, they told me that they just keyed in the change.

congrats!!!

I GOT IN. I GOT IN!!!!

YES!! UCLA has been my dream school since this whole thing started! I have been reading this thread religously and I can't believe I actually get to say that I am going to UCLA!

YAAA!! :)

congratulations to both of you!!!! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cool! Congrats you two!

Lets see.... One more free space at UCD now, and one more free space at USC!!!
Any UCI people wanna go to UCD or USC? :p
Come on UCI alternate list... move, move, move! :mad: