***The Official UNC Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Has anyone’s portal changed to waitlisted or anything since they sent out the email?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know when deposits are due for those accepted in January? I think people on the waitlist would be contacted soon after this. Of course, some spots would have to open up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what they meant when they said the waitlist is unranked? Does that mean that whoever got their email back first is the first position on the waitlist?

Anyone know what they meant when they said the waitlist is unranked? Does that mean that whoever got their email back first is the first position on the waitlist?
I think it means that when someone currently accepted decides to go elsewhere, the admissions committee tries to choose a person from the waitlist that most closely matches the person that chose to go elsewhere. For example, if someone OOS chooses to go somewhere else they would probably choose an OOS person from the waitlist

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y’all, so this week would probably be the earliest any of us could hear from them right? Since the deadline for deposits is the tomorrow?

That’s what I’m thinking

Last edited:
I'll be starting this fall. Happy to answer any questions about the application/interview process

Hey! Thanks for answering our questions. I was wondering if UNC gives a lot of aid out to its students? UNC is one of the schools I'm considering, but finances also play a huge role in my decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Thanks for answering our questions. I was wondering if UNC gives a lot of aid out to its students? UNC is one of the schools I'm considering, but finances also play a huge role in my decision

To my knowledge, the dental school provides a handful of scholarships. Not sure if other aid is available.

Maybe no spots opened up?
Some did apparently, not sure if it was one or multiple, but a friend of mine got accepted today. Just thought I would update since not everyone posts on sdn.

For those that were rejected, do you know if it is possible to set up a meeting/ call with admissions to see what you can improve for next cycle? I know ECU does this, but haven't heard about UNC

Some did apparently, not sure if it was one or multiple, but a friend of mine got accepted today. Just thought I would update since not everyone posts on sdn.

is your friend an OOS student or an IS student?

The school has a couple large scholarships but I think those mainly go to OOS students so that the cost is similar to IS students. The Dental Foundation of North Carolina also has an application at the beginning of the year for scholarships but am not sure how much they are for. Here's a page of information and a list of scholarships offered.

If you have more questions about finances, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to talk in more detail now that I've paid bills and projected living expenses for two semesters.

Does the admissions committee ever dwindle down the number of people on the waitlist, or does everyone just stay waitlisted all the way through August 10th?

What technology should I be preparing to buy? I know the info doesn’t get sent out til later, but I’m trying to track some discounts.

From what I know from previous years, we're obligated to buy laptops from the Carolina Computing Initiative (unless this has changed in the past year).

beyondme is right, you're required to purchase laptops from CCI so don't purchase one. I think that's the only technology we're required to buy. If you want an iPad/Surface for note taking, you could look into that.

Reactions: 1 users
Do most people have a tablet?
Just a suggestion, if you can afford an iPad or a tablet I would go for it. I’ve had an iPad for two years now and it’s made taking notes more convenient and I also don’t need to carry a bazillion notebooks/books around.
(I’m not in dental school yet but just wanted to give you something to consider:))

I am also curious about the laptop situation. For anyone who has any idea how UNC does their requirements, is there really no option to opt out of having to buy a laptop through CCI? From looking at the CCI site, they are all over-priced, not to mention I have a new MacBook through my current employer. It would be a real bummer if I had to purchase the exact same laptop I have and sell my current, or to have to buy the cheapest option and use it as a paperweight if I was required to keep it. An extra few thousand doesn't sound like the end of the world if I'm about to take a small mortgage worth's out for the next four years, but it would be nice to avoid any extra. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am also curious about the laptop situation. For anyone who has any idea how UNC does their requirements, is there really no option to opt out of having to buy a laptop through CCI? From looking at the CCI site, they are all over-priced, not to mention I have a new MacBook through my current employer. It would be a real bummer if I had to purchase the exact same laptop I have and sell my current, or to have to buy the cheapest option and use it as a paperweight if I was required to keep it. An extra few thousand doesn't sound like the end of the world if I'm about to take a small mortgage worth's out for the next four years, but it would be nice to avoid any extra. Thanks in advance for any help.
There is no way that you're allowed to opt out. We tried but got an email explaining why we're required to. The first year using your own is fine, but once you get into clinic and may have patient information on your laptop, use the one purchased from CCI since it'll be encrypted so in case you do lose it, the school has a record of it and doesn't need to worry about a HIPAA breach. They are overpriced but usually in late July/early August they run the same Apple promos for free Beats or offer you the chance to buy a year old model for a discount to clear out inventory. The added warranty and insurance protection on them is also nice in the event your laptop breaks (one classmate had water spilled on his in class so accidents do happen).

Yes I was waitlisted but I did not feel that my interview went well and since they didn’t rank the waitlist I assumed everyone who interviewed was waitlisted
Since my interview is next week, can you tell me what questions they asked during the interview?

Since my interview is next week, can you tell me what questions they asked during the interview?
For the DDS dental program? Chapel Hill finished their 2024 interview cycle back in January.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know of any movement off the waitlist?
I haven’t heard anything, couple of my friends in the dental school suggested I just go ahead and retake the DAT to try to get above a 24 and just prepare to reapply. Of course with all this corona stuff it’ll be harder to volunteer and shadow but nothing to do about that.

I haven’t heard anything, couple of my friends in the dental school suggested I just go ahead and retake the DAT to try to get above a 24 and just prepare to reapply. Of course with all this corona stuff it’ll be harder to volunteer and shadow but nothing to do about that.
A 24? Was the average score really high this year or something?