***The Official University of Iowa Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I'll have a degree in biology--will just complete it in 3 years instead of 4.
One of my buddies got in Dec 1 last year with only 3 year bio degree. He's IS though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Took my DAT on the 20th. Sent in my unofficial scores the same day and got invited to an interview today (22nd)! I wasn't expecting them to get back to me that quickly, but I'm super excited for my interview.
I'm IS.

Invited for an interview yesterday!
Some (probably common sense) advice to any current or future pre-dents reading this, but be sure to call if you have updates to your application! My app was on hold until I got my last letter submitted, but they weren't notified when the letter finally did get submitted. The other schools I applied to were notified immediately so I've been assuming the same for Iowa and that they have been looking over my application for the past three weeks. That wasn't the case, so my choice for interview dates was super limited. Oops

Members don't see this ad :)
1st interview, scheduled last week!

Notification date: 8/23/2016
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/19/2016
GPA verified: 8/16/2016
Secondary complete date: 8/23/2016
GPA: BCP 3.83, sGPA 3.88, oGPA 3.85
DAT: 24 AA,22 TS (21Bio/22GC/22OC),21PAT,29RC,24QR

Got my first interview invite today from Iowa!

Residency: NE
GPA: 3.71 oGPA, 3.63 BCP, 3.64 sGPA
DAT: 21 AA 20 TS 20 PAT

Hi there! I'm also from NE. What date did you pick? I picked Oct. 24th.

Anybody from CA get an interview invite? I was looking at their OOS undergraduate schools and most of the schools were in Wisconsin or Minnesota. Im guessing if I got an interview, they like me anyways, but I feel at a disadvantage because I'm not close to Iowa.

I got an interview set for Oct 24th! I'm from Oklahoma.

wondering how it went for anyone who has already interviewed?!

I don't really understand what to put under "major activities" in the residency info. Like I just go to school, will write school from xx/xxxx to xx/xxxx? It doesn't make any sense since it would be repetition from the previous section? Or it is about my experience in dentistry and community?

Also, in the special consideration request, should I talk about a job shadowing experience in the 2nd part/box?

I got an interview scheduled on Oct. 7. I'm from CA

Anyone have any experience with the writing session we will be having during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just scheduled my interview for Sept 28 and I noticed the "writing exercise" component as well. Can someone please let us know what this entails and how we can prepare?

Last edited:
I just scheduled my interview for Sept 28 and I noticed the "writing exercise" component as well. Can someone please let us know what this entails and how we can prepare?
Yes! I would like to know as well :)

My app has been complete for a while and I talked to the admissions officer there. I haven't heard anything from them since.

So, I just finished my interview. The school is absolutely fantastic and exceeded my expectations. The interview wasn't too bad. Just try to convey who your are as a person and interest in dentistry since it's closed file. The writing exercise is nothing to worry about.

So, I just finished my interview. The school is absolutely fantastic and exceeded my expectations. The interview wasn't too bad. Just try to convey who your are as a person and interest in dentistry since it's closed file. The writing exercise is nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much for the info! Looking forward to my interview as well. What did they make you do for the writing exercise? Was it an ethical essay question of some sort?

Thank you so much for the info! Looking forward to my interview as well. What did they make you do for the writing exercise? Was it an ethical essay question of some sort?
It's like filling out a secondary application.

I got an invite to interview!!!! GO HAWKS!

Well I emailed to check to see if all my materials were in, received a reply and was told me they have everything they need.

2 minutes later (literally) I was deferred. Really not sure what to think right now.

STATS:

AA: 27
BIO: 26
GC: 24
OC: 30
QR: 30
RC: 25
PAT: 21

BCP: 3.94
Sci: 3.75
Non-sci: 3.86

OOS

Hey I may be able to help find a discrepancy. Obviously OOS, and all. What state are you from if you don't mind me asking (could pm me if wanted). Also, what is your undergraduate school?

I ask cause I got an interview so just trying to see what they may be looking at face value.

I have not gotten any interviews yet; Iowa has been the first school to send me a deferral/interview invite/rejection etc. I highly doubt it was a sabotage letter and I, along with a couple others, thought my personal statement was pretty good.

"I'm not sure how likely this is either but it could be they don't think you would really go there even if accepted." A few people have actually brought that up, but I find it hard to believe.

My best guess is that they don't like that I am graduating early. I'll have a degree in biology--will just complete it in 3 years instead of 4.

Thanks, though!
I graduated in 3 years as well from my undergrad program.

Does anyone know for the supplemental app when it asks you to write down the required courses you have taken, for the bio section of that do you just put down the bio courses that give you the 8 credits they require, or should I put down all of the bio courses I have taken? Also, when it asks for total credits, do they want the total credits of just the required courses, or the total credits of every single course I have taken? Thanks!

I put down all classes. I included Anat/phys. Cause on the instructions page they are under biology. I also included I am taking Microbio since it can technically be used as a pre-req biology course.

Anyone interview on halloween/go to iowa?!

Last edited:
Did anyone else's AADSAS portal change from "Invited to Interview" to "Received/Under Review"? I interviewed on Sept. 19th.

Last edited:
Yes, mine did as well. I'm assuming it just means they are starting to go through applications again for acceptance?
I'm hoping so. Last year the only change before Dec 1st from "invited to interview" was to "check back Dec 1st". Thank you for replying!

mine didn't change. is that a bad thing? have other interviewees also not have had the change from "invited to interview" to "received/under review?"

Last edited:
also in general when do schools put up "check back Dec 1st" and does that change usually signal an acceptance?

mine didn't change and I had my interview on Oct 12... is that a bad thing? have other interviewees also not have had the change from "invited to interview" to "received/under review?"

also in general when do schools put up "check back Dec 1st" and does that change usually signal an acceptance?

I have no clue if it's a bad thing for having it switched back to "received/under review". From what I've gather the "check back Dec 1st" means you'll receive some sort of information on December 1st. Be its rejection, accepted, on hold, or waitlist. I believe it usually means an acceptance.

Mine didn't change until a month later, so I have no idea what their system is. I do not think it is a "bad" thing. They will let you know December 1st or later, until then try not to analyze these details haha. I think more than anything it's just comforting to know that it's not a mistake because someone else's changed.
My status changed back to "invited for interview", how about you?

same :/ - don't know what my changes are at this point
A deferred application and a rejected application are not the same thing. I was deferred last year and still ended up with an interview a couple months later. I don't know how often it happens but it is possible to still be interviewed Theres still hope :)

During the interview day Rachel mentioned a MyUIowa site. Is this something we have access to now, or something reserved for those offered admission after Dec. 1?

During the interview day Rachel mentioned a MyUIowa site. Is this something we have access to now, or something reserved for those offered admission after Dec. 1?
My understanding is that it's a student portal for those who matriculate.

You actually have access to it now! I got an email months ago telling me to create a username and password for the MyUIowa portal. However, all you have access to is your admissions profile, which has not changed at all for me.

Last edited:
Norse123 any chance you went to Luther? I'll have to search my email now... Thanks guys!

Go Norse! Thanks guys, I ended up finding it back a couple months in my email! Not sure how I missed that... lol

I REALLY REALLY don't want to jump the gun here, but looking at past threads. I saw that some most people who had a status change got a Dec. 1st notification, however some who didn't still got it. Does anyone know when and or if the statuses will even change?

I'd watch for the end of the month. Within a few days perhaps of Dec. 1. But anything could happen, so don't rely too much upon that notification.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd watch for the end of the month. Within a few days perhaps of Dec. 1. But anything could happen, so don't rely too much upon that notification.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Someone made a post and they don't use that as a status update on AADSAS any more.

I got an email a few days ago, saying it was nice for them to host me during the interviewand hope to see you next time, as a Hawkeye!
I know it just a thank you email, but why I'm interpreting in a different way that sounds like see you next year.

I got an email a few days ago, saying it was nice for them to host me during the interviewand hope to see you next time, as a Hawkeye!
I know it just a thank you email, but why I'm interpreting in a different way that sounds like see you next year.

i got one 2 days after i interviewed. I think it is a general thanks