***The Official University of Washington Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got called, and last name starts with X, and in state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who has gotten their call today! I am the Vice President of the class of 2022 and one of my roles is to help everyone connect as they get in. Once you have decided that you do indeed intend to accept your offer to UW you are welcome to join the class Facebook page. Sue will send that information out in your welcome email but please feel free to contact me directly as well.

As a note, for those of you who do not get called today, it was our experience that last year there were probably 2-3 big acceptance dates per month from December through all the way to March I believe. So hopefully that helps quell some of your inevitable anxiety around the post December 1st process.

Best of luck to you all

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to everyone who has gotten their call today! I am the Vice President of the class of 2022 and one of my roles is to help everyone connect as they get in. Once you have decided that you do indeed intend to accept your offer to UW you are welcome to join the class Facebook page. Sue will send that information out in your welcome email but please feel free to contact me directly as well.

As a note, for those of you who do not get called today, it was our experience that last year there were probably 2-3 big acceptance dates per month from December through all the way to March I believe. So hopefully that helps quell some of your inevitable anxiety around the post December 1st process.

Best of luck to you all
March acceptance here :hello:
Feel free to message me for anything

Status changed to “Offer Made” at 10:00!
Congrats!!!!
Do you t
March acceptance here :hello:
Feel free to message me for anything
Hey ThirdMolarz! I was wondering if you remembered what Interview Group you were in? I was in the 3rd group, and I didn't get an call back, I'm hoping its because I interviewed late. What are your thoughts?

Congrats!!!!
Do you t

Hey ThirdMolarz! I was wondering if you remembered what Interview Group you were in? I was in the 3rd group, and I didn't get an call back, I'm hoping its because I interviewed late. What are your thoughts?
I was in the November interview. Don't think the interview group matters too much! Just hang tight, it can be a long few months

I was in the November interview. Don't think the interview group matters too much! Just hang tight, it can be a long few months
Do you think it would be a smart idea to send an email just to update the school on my desire to join UW and what I have been up to? Or is that looked down upon?

Best of luck to you all
Hi Seadent! I was just wondering if you knew by any chance when the waitlist is released? Also, whether or not if it's a good idea to email Memory or someone at the UW Admin just letting them know how passionate I am about joining the UW Dental School and what I've been up to since applying?? ( Btw I didn't hear back on the 3rd and I interviewed in November).
I appreciate your help!!

Hi Seadent! I was just wondering if you knew by any chance when the waitlist is released? Also, whether or not if it's a good idea to email Memory or someone at the UW Admin just letting them know how passionate I am about joining the UW Dental School and what I've been up to since applying?? ( Btw I didn't hear back on the 3rd and I interviewed in November).
I appreciate your help!!
Hey there, waitlist goes out on March 31st most years, like I mentioned in my original post, they phone calls go out multiple times a month for the next four months and it is absolutely not uncommon to not be a December 1st (in this years case 3rd) call. There are also people who get their acceptance call March 31st. I know it's a frustrating few months of just waiting. Hang in there and keep the faith!! Keep volunteering and shadowing in the meantime ;)

As far as an email goes I don't have any information on the usefulness of that so I can't give a recommendation for or against that personally.

Hey there, waitlist goes out on March 31st most years, like I mentioned in my original post, they phone calls go out multiple times a month for the next four months and it is absolutely not uncommon to not be a December 1st (in this years case 3rd) call. There are also people who get their acceptance call March 31st. I know it's a frustrating few months of just waiting. Hang in there and keep the faith!! Keep volunteering and shadowing in the meantime ;)

As far as an email goes I don't have any information on the usefulness of that so I can't give a recommendation for or against that personally.
Thank you for answering Seadent! You were very helpful, guess I just need to be patient!! Thank you again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Update, I was told that our waitlist went out in February for my year so that is a possibility as well. Wanted to share that here.

I’ve heard you can qualify for instate tuition here after the first year if you are OOS. Can anyone confirm this??

Hi incoming class, Sue Coldwell from the SOD asked that I pass along this information:

If you have been accepted and are interested, the school is hosting a Second Look event this Friday with sessions scheduled from 1:30-4:20 PM and a reception from 4:30-6:00 PM. If you are still deciding where you'd like to attend dental school I highly recommend you RSVP to this event directly to Sue. This is a wonderful chance to speak directly with faculty, especially if you have questions about the school.

Has anybody got a rejection yet? I haven’t heard anyone say so, so wondering if only acceptances have been offered..

Can anyone shed some light on the ECI session in the summer? I was wondering what the general schedule is like and what the "overnight retreat" entails. I was thinking about buying an airline ticket to Seattle, but if the retreat requires individuals providing their own form of vehicle transportation then I might end up driving to Seattle (~6 hour drive).

I got a call around 1pm today. I will be accepting the offer!

when they called you to make an offer, did they say how much time you had to make a decision or not to accept?

Can anyone shed some light on the ECI session in the summer? I was wondering what the general schedule is like and what the "overnight retreat" entails. I was thinking about buying an airline ticket to Seattle, but if the retreat requires individuals providing their own form of vehicle transportation then I might end up driving to Seattle (~6 hour drive).
Hey I can help here. Orientation week starts July 15th and I would consider yourself full time in school on that day. The overnight retreat transportation is in travel busses that the school provides but for us there were orientation activities every day the first week for at least a half day. The following week the schedule is roughly 8:30-4:30 for four weeks split about evenly between head and neck anatomy and then ECI (early clinical immersion) both classes are pass/fail. Head and neck anatomy is usually an hour lecture followed by a three hour block in the anatomy lab which you can be done faster every day if your group preps well. ECI is a lot of guest lectures and introductory information about everything from specialties to dental anatomy to law stuff! Then you get a two week break before fall quarter starts!

Hey I can help here. Orientation week starts July 15th and I would consider yourself full time in school on that day. The overnight retreat transportation is in travel busses that the school provides but for us there were orientation activities every day the first week for at least a half day. The following week the schedule is roughly 8:30-4:30 for four weeks split about evenly between head and neck anatomy and then ECI (early clinical immersion) both classes are pass/fail. Head and neck anatomy is usually an hour lecture followed by a three hour block in the anatomy lab which you can be done faster every day if your group preps well. ECI is a lot of guest lectures and introductory information about everything from specialties to dental anatomy to law stuff! Then you get a two week break before fall quarter starts!
Thank you so much! That is very helpful to know :)

Hello,

I’m just wondering if there’s another round of calls? I check my status almost every day but it still says invited for interview. I’m not sure what to think or do at this point? Is any one else still waiting just like I am? Please help

Hello,

I’m just wondering if there’s another round of calls? I check my status almost every day but it still says invited for interview. I’m not sure what to think or do at this point? Is any one else still waiting just like I am? Please help

My status is also the same, hasn’t changed! Anxiously waiting... When did you interview?

Hello,

Your best bet would be to call them and ask! They’ll tell you if and when they’re sending out more calls.

My status is also the same, hasn’t changed! Anxiously waiting... When did you interview?
My interview was back in November. I'm not sure how to feel because the student volunteers said that a few of them got their calls in February. Are you out of state?

My interview was back in November. I'm not sure how to feel because the student volunteers said that a few of them got their calls in February. Are you out of state?

In state. Some of the students said they received calls even in June! We still have hope!!

Just got a call, accepted. Big decision ahead. This is where I wanted to go all along but I fell in love with Midwestern when I visited there...

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the call last week on Jan 24th and accepted the offer. My status on my app changed to offer made around 10am and received a call around 2pm. Two of my friends that are both D4 at UW didn’t receive their call until May. Try not stress! There is still hope!

Just got a call, accepted. Big decision ahead. This is where I wanted to go all along but I fell in love with Midwestern when I visited there...
What do you think you'll do??? Midwestern is such a nice school and coming out it seems like I'd be a better dentist than UW (due to their clinical program) but UW is cheaper (not by much though..). Being in-state is also a big thing so you wouldn't have to move but yeah lol. Have you decided yet??

What do you think you'll do??? Midwestern is such a nice school and coming out it seems like I'd be a better dentist than UW (due to their clinical program) but UW is cheaper (not by much though..). Being in-state is also a big thing so you wouldn't have to move but yeah lol. Have you decided yet??
I'd have to move from Spokane to Seattle area, and I've got kids, so it would be difficult. The money difference is actually more than I thought though. It looks like it would be about $125k cheaper for me to go to UW, even if I get a higher living allowance for my dependents. The kicker for us right now though, is living in Seattle area versus living in Glendale, AZ area, with the family. It's a really tough decision. I don't think that UW is lacking in providing clinician skills, but I did really love the clinic at Midwestern. But maybe they're just really good at selling it? See, these are the things that I'm going back and forth on.
Are you deciding between them as well, or have you already decided?

I'd have to move from Spokane to Seattle area, and I've got kids, so it would be difficult. The money difference is actually more than I thought though. It looks like it would be about $125k cheaper for me to go to UW, even if I get a higher living allowance for my dependents. The kicker for us right now though, is living in Seattle area versus living in Glendale, AZ area, with the family. It's a really tough decision. I don't think that UW is lacking in providing clinician skills, but I did really love the clinic at Midwestern. But maybe they're just really good at selling it? See, these are the things that I'm going back and forth on.
Are you deciding between them as well, or have you already decided?
I am still deciding but I am leaning slightly towards Midwestern. What I have been doing is calling other dentists including UW and Midwestern and asking them about their experiences and if they liked it. So far I have found much love for midwestern from dentists that have graduated there and still love from dentists who graduated from UW but not as much since some still talk about having to do a general residency after since they felt like there weren't enough patients to see and no experiences in implants and etc compared to Midwestern. Dentists from midwestern reported seeing 6 patients a day in their 3rd and 4th year compared to 2 patients a day at UW and that was a big thing for me. I feel like if I am paying around 280-300k at UW I want to come out comfortable and able to work at a practice right out of the gate but having to apply and do a residency would take away a year of potential earnings AND would most likely require me to move out of the state.

For rent glendale is a lot cheaper (like $300-400 a month*48 months) than Seattle ($700-800+ a month*48 months) for sure and the weather is nice in terms that you'll see sun all the time! It gets hot there but I figured it's not different than days in Seattle when we get lots of rain in the winter and I have to stay indoors too.

It's hard to say really... pros and cons to both schools but I think either way it'll be okay!

Does anyone know what the grade required for the prerequisites to count for dental school? I’m taking one more course to complete my prerequisites before we start dental school but was wondering what the exact number is, I’ve heard 1.7 and 2.0, does anyone have any info on that?

Just turned down my UW offer. Hope one of you guys hears back soon!

I have a question regarding the supplemental essay: Is there an area of your application that you think is not an adequate representation of you or your abilities? If so, please address. (1500). What type of things should you include in this? I realized I wanted to apply to dental school at the end of my junior year, and all my dental experiences occurred my senior year. Should I elaborate on what I plan to do during my gap year to increase my dental experience and highlight how I decided late in the game, or is that not necessary to address here. Should I just use it as room to talk about something else? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.