the pain of the application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for about the last 2+ months, I have been doing this application nonsense. That means I really have not been training the way I would like.

So I did a half-ironman today, and on top of that, it was a very hard course. It took me 7 hours. Not terrible for me, but what is terrible is how I feel currently.

1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run, in the Texas heat and humidity. Wow that was hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Grats on the finish bud~~ where'd you place?

I've ran 2 sprints and 1 olympic... but lets keep in mind that i weigh over 240lbs =) lol so I know the pain you went through with your training----

Now it's time for you to get geared up and do a full ironman =)

I don't do tri's (do to my amazing fear of water full of hundreds of squirming people) but I do race alot (running) and I understand the feeling of just not being there and it sucks, not to mention the Texas weather right now.

Way to go for completing it, and I'm sure that once you are accepted somewhere your racing will pick up a bit, I always find a bad race is less the result of faulty training but more a result of mentally being somewhere else

Members don't see this ad :)
So for about the last 2+ months, I have been doing this application nonsense. That means I really have not been training the way I would like.

So I did a half-ironman today, and on top of that, it was a very hard course. It took me 7 hours. Not terrible for me, but what is terrible is how I feel currently.

1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run, in the Texas heat and humidity. Wow that was hard.

I understand; it does suck. However, the pain of the application process doesn't hold a candle to the pain of medical school. Live it up while you can.

I have no idea where I placed, but I was really slow. This application process has taken up so much time that I haven't been training the way I would like over the past couple months. I actually felt great, until about 40 miles into the bike ride, I could tell that my legs were starting to fatigue. Six weeks ago, I would have been good to go for the full ride. Amazing how you can detrain so quickly.

I talked to this one girl on the run course who had done a bunch of halfs and a few fulls, and she told me this was easily the hardest half-ironman course she had done. Said it was way harder than buffalo springs, which has a reputation for being extremely tough. All the top pros go there to help prepare for Kona.

I'm not worried about med school. I know what I'm getting myself into. Don't get me wrong... I know I will have to work extremely hard, but I will be in it with a bunch of other people who are suffering along with me, and most of the material is pretty interesting, and not completely foreign to me. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the challenge.

enjoy this while you can - its all over in about a year. school just eats your life up, its such a radical change. good luck with your training and your application process - its really not bad at all, at least in comparison to school.