The Prelim Market Sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dadoes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only 6 prelim interviews! How is everyone else doing with invites? I personally am freaking out now and love lettering many of the other prelim programs that I have applied to. I guess I can always just prioritize the categorical programs I am interviewing at...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
applied to 9. have three invites and one waitlist.

Then apply only to categoricals. The big city programs keep offering advanced only positions because they still get away with it because of the number of myopic applicants that only want to live in a concrete jungle in one little corner of the country. Think it sucks? Don't play their game.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not doing very well with prelim invites, either. I have 3 interviews so far and applied to a lot of prelim programs. I have actually seen a wave of rejections over the past week, about one per day, exclusively from IM prelim programs.

I've got 5 prelim interviews only. I'll probably rank categoricals over advanced since this isn't enough prelims.

How many programs did y'all apply to. I initially applied to 30, but mostly in my very competitive home state of California. Today I looked at the list of prelim programs that participated in the SOAP during the last two years. Hopefully, that means they have trouble filling their spots yearly, but the caveat is that its probably not a very nice place to work for the year.