The race question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD the Dream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am filling out supplemental applications every school keeps asking for my race...It is a little tricky for me because I am Hispanic but that is not a race, so I do not know what race to select. Any advice? Also I am Ecuadorian but born and raised in US if that helps.

I usually just leave these types of questions blank but the schools say to select one

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a part on AADSAS where you can say you consider yourself "of hispanic origin."

There is a part on AADSAS where you can say you consider yourself "of hispanic origin."
I understand but on the supplementary it asks you if you are Hispanic and then another separate question asking you what is your race. Hispanic is not a race so it does not fulfill the race question.

Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2016-8-18_21-12-15.png

You can specify also though!

Tbh, based on the title I thought this was going to be a much juicier thread. I guess I'll put this popcorn away :corny:

Reactions: 3 users
Tbh, based on the title I thought this was going to be a much juicier thread. I guess I'll put this popcorn away :corny:
Me too lol.
This is just an example of the supplementary application, almost all others are just like this as well.
Do you see where it is two separate questions, unlike in the AADSAS application?
I would specify in "other" if you are required to answer it. I am of a non-white race too, but I did my best to leave those blank if I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I swear people will stretch what they believe their race is if it gives them an advantage. A colleague of mine who is Filipino said that "I'm going to identify as a Pacific Islander to get an advantage". I just shook my head...
In a world where men born with male parts can identify as a woman and use female restrooms, I'll be damned if I can't put that I consider myself Hispanic if my grandfather and grandmother were Central American

In a world where men born with male parts can identify as a woman and use female restrooms, I'll be damned if I can't put that I consider myself Hispanic if my grandfather and grandmother were Central American
Yes! We're finally getting political :D

I guess I did my job if I was able to get people looking and responding:thinking:

Anyways thanks everyone!