I've been trying to stay above the fray, but this discussion is getting a little silly. ACGME residencies won't close to DO's now or anytime in the future. There would be huge anti-trust law suit issues. The DO's of 1950-60's fought the hard political battles that helped pave the way for today's DO's to apply and potentially match into any specialty they choose. Born of neccessity, DO's created and maintained their own hospitals and post-graduate residency training programs. These programs, along side their ACGME-accredited counter-parts, are legitimate pathways for DO physicians to become board-certified in a given specialty. Again, the AOA, the specialty colleges, and earlier DO pioneers fought the hard political battles that helped policy-makers and payors see that these programs are bona-fide residency training programs. This is good.
There are problems with the current situation in osteopathic graduate medical education, but these problems are not insurmountable. They do require conscientious attention. One positive trend is the ever increasing collaboration between ACGME and AOA-accredited programs. BTW, you have to remember that DO's are *RECRUITED* into ACGME programs! It's not like DO's go begging. These programs recognize that DO graduates are well-prepared, knowledgable, hard-working physicians and are generally very welcoming to us. Within the primary care arena, ACGME training programs gobble up DO's just about every chance they get.
Due to the vagaries of the medicare reimbursement system for resident education, many OPTI's are retooling and redistributing their slots to offer more specialty and sub-specialty training opportunities for DO's. I think that this is good. DO specialists are needed in order to 1) teach DO medical students and generalists; 2) sustain the osteopathic profession as a full-service enterprise and not a "feeder route" to MD programs.
Almost 10 years ago I applied and was accepted to osteopathic schools. I had some of the same concerns and worries as do many people posting here. Was I as good as my MD colleagues? Would I be able to get into the residency of my choice? Will patients accept my authority as a physician? Will I be able to find a good job or join a lucrative practice. I remember meeting and speaking to recent DO grads at that time. They said something that has turned out to be true: "Things get better in this profession all the time."
10 years hence (about the time many of you will be coming out residency) these issues will seem trivial. Opportunities will abound. Concentrate on your own personal and professional development as a physician. Study and work hard. Keep abreast of changes in the field and advances in osteopathic research. Be confident and humble when dealing with patients and colleagues and the rest will fall into place.