The Republic of Texas XL: If you are riding a high horse, there ain't no way to get down off it gracefully.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the waitlist movement so far this year less than in previous years?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the waitlist movement so far this year less than in previous years?
Every year it picks up quite a bit in May, and the month of April is painful for those with no match school.
Every year those waiting are certain that their year is the worst for WL action.

Looking back to last year's Republic of Texas page, you can see that I said the same thing. I guess I believe it! #319

The action before the end of April last year was mainly due to people jumping from their TMDSAS match school to offers from Baylor, which was then in AMCAS. Now that Baylor has joined the TMDSAS application system, there will be less of that Texas school > > > Baylor shift but there will still be some.
Empty seats will be soon created when people choose an OOS school instead of a Texas school, and those seats will be filled from WLs.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas Roundup: April 30, 2022
or, the "Welcome to the Island" edition 🐠 🐡 🐟 🦀

original_2f1f4c605802a4fde278caefdbaf6faf.jpg

April 28, 2022

1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, declined (has other offers OOS)
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL

April 29, 2022
4 UTMB offers of admission from WL, IS Welcome to Galveston Island ! 🐠 🐡 🐟 🦀

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS
1 spot at UIWSOM (the one turned down, above)

Share your news !

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Roundup: May 2, 2022

April 27, 2022

1 A&M offer of admission, IS, declined (sticking with match school)

May 2, 2022
1 UIWSOM offer of admission, declined (committed to an OOS school)

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Long, IS (going to an OOS school)

More will gear up soon, don't give up.
Share your news!

Reactions: 2 users
180907_derzapf_148.jpg

Texas Roundup: May 3, 2022

May 2, 2022
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS

May 3, 2022
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding whether to accept
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, accepting it
2 TCU offers of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock, IS

Last edited:
Texas-Cowboy-Stew.jpg

Texas Roundup: May 5, 2022
The cowboy stew edition, a little bit of everything

May 2, 2022
1 Long offer of admission from WL, OOS

May 4, 2022
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS

May 5, 2022
2 Baylor offers of admission from WL, 1 OOS and 1 IS
2 UTMB offers of admission from WL, IS
1 U of Houston offer of admission from WL, IS
2 Dell offers of admission from WL, IS
1 A&M offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS
1 spot relinquished at Long, OOS
1 spot relinquished at TCOM, IS

Share your news ! ! !

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Looks delicious, @wysdoc. Care to share?

• Haha
I need that Texas cowboy stew recipe to help me wait

Sorry if this isn’t right area to post but I had a question as someone gearing up to apply for 2022-2023 cycle (TMDSAS only) ;

Would being complete first week of august make my app dead? I spoke to a friend who went thru app cycle 2 years ago and they said being complete early august severely limits your chances and success and you’re better off waiting another year and applying the following cycle, especially if you’re not a exceptional candidate. I have high stats but ECs are average at best (150 clinical, 50 shadowing, 200 nonclinical, 900 research)

Sorry if this isn’t right area to post but I had a question as someone gearing up to apply for 2022-2023 cycle (TMDSAS only) ;

Would being complete first week of august make my app dead? I spoke to a friend who went thru app cycle 2 years ago and they said being complete early august severely limits your chances and success and you’re better off waiting another year and applying the following cycle, especially if you’re not a exceptional candidate. I have high stats but ECs are average at best (150 clinical, 50 shadowing, 200 nonclinical, 900 research)
Why do you want to wait until August?

Why do you want to wait until August?

Mainly it would be the fact that my mcat date is June 30, so scores will be sent august 1. I plan to start my TMDSAS app now and submit it and get it verified before august and during July I will prewrite secondaries so I should be complete best case scenario first week august. I understand it’s not ideal, but I don’t know if it’s so late to where I’m genuinely better off waiting another cycle. Like I stated before my app is on weak side due to ECs so my friend said wait a cycle but I just want some second opinions if that makes sense

Members don't see this ad :)
Mainly it would be the fact that my mcat date is June 30, so scores will be sent august 1. I plan to start my TMDSAS app now and submit it and get it verified before august and during July I will prewrite secondaries so I should be complete best case scenario first week august. I understand it’s not ideal, but I don’t know if it’s so late to where I’m genuinely better off waiting another cycle. Like I stated before my app is on weak side due to ECs so my friend said wait a cycle but I just want some second opinions if that makes sense
Here is a graph of Primary App submission dates, showing the reason you need to submit early in the cycle. This graph should be read like this:
"7% of the interviews go to applicants who submitted their primary in August"

A school might get your primary app in June if you submit it in May, and they might even send you a secondary to work on. BUT they are not going to make a decision about you for interviews without an MCAT score.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 5.02.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is a graph of Primary App submission dates, showing the reason you need to submit early in the cycle. This graph should be read like this:
"7% of the interviews go to applicants who submitted their primary in August"

A school might get your primary app in June if you submit it in May, and they might even send you a secondary to work on. BUT they are not going to make a decision about you for interviews without an MCAT score.

View attachment 354393

Ouch, so it’s best i wait a year and apply next cycle to prevent having to rewrite everything l guess

• Care
Texas Roundup May 9, 2022

May 5, 2022

1 Long offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined

May 6, 2022
3 McGovern offers of admission from WL, IS

May 9, 2022
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS, considering/deciding

A pretty slow weekend. If I see more people sharing news today, I will update this post.

Last edited:
Is May 15 the last possible day to hear back from TMDSAS waitlist schools if you already have one acceptance?

Is May 15 the last possible day to hear back from TMDSAS waitlist schools if you already have one acceptance?
Yes, if you already hold a TMDSAS acceptance then May 15th is the last day you could get a WL offer from another TMDSAS school.
If your current acceptance is from an AMCAS or AACOMAS school, you can stay on the TMDSAS WL longer.

Yes, if you already hold a TMDSAS acceptance then May 15th is the last day you could get a WL offer from another TMDSAS school.
If your current acceptance is from an AMCAS or AACOMAS school, you can stay on the TMDSAS WL longer.
Thanks!

Is it just me or is WL movement much slower this year than in the past? Do you guys think we can expect more substantial movement after May 15th? Thanks in advance!

Texas Roundup May 11, 2022

May 11, 2022

1 Long offer of admission from WL, IS
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, OOS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Long, IS (May 10)
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock, IS

Share your news!

Hey all, many of the TX Medical schools are having their commencement ceremonies this week, so they will be somewhat busier than usual celebrating and supporting their graduating MS4 students. :biglove:

Nonetheless, they are well aware of the upcoming TMDSAS dates such as May 15th being the last day they can make WL offers to people who already hold a TMDSAS acceptance. I'll keep you informed of any WL offers I hear, as usual.

Texas Roundup May 13, 2022

May 12, 2022

1 A&M offer of admission from WL, IS, still considering & comparing to match school accepted

May 13, 2022
1 UIWSOM offer of admission, recent interview (not from WL)
2 TCU offers of admission from WL
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS, declined
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS, accepted

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS, has an OOS acceptance

Not much to talk about these last few days. Don't hold back your news, y'all!

Let's make this Friday the 13th into a good luck day!

Last edited:
What are the odds of getting off a waitlist over the weekend, given that the May 15th deadline is on a Sunday?

What are the odds of getting off a waitlist over the weekend, given that the May 15th deadline is on a Sunday?
We'll see.
I have seen people get offers on weekends before, not as much as on weekdays.
Last year, May 15 was on a Saturday and I noted people announcing WL offers on the 14th and the 17th but not on 15/16.

Texas Roundup May 17, 2022

May 16, 2022

1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, IS, accepted
1 UTRGV offer of admission from WL, IS

May 17, 2022
1 Lubbock offer of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock, IS (5/17)

Last edited:
oldfaucet_shutterstock_JedsadaNaeprai.jpg

Texas Roundup May 20, 2022
The WL offers are trickling in....

May 17, 2022
1 A&M offer of admission from WL, IS, accepted

1 TCU offer of admission from WL, deciding between this & OOS acceptance

May 20, 2022
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS
1 TCU offer of admission from WL
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL
2 Long offers of admission from WL, both OOS

Share your news!
& remember, you may have only a few days to decide when you get an offer, so do your homework/comparison now among your possible schools.

Last edited:
c98fbceb19e4c7056ed135a852861a986d0b5496b4713c1e7605ceca10327d2c._RI_.jpg

Texas Roundup May 23, 2022 : The Farmer in the Dell Edition

Yes, that's it, I'm bored and so I'm subjecting you to this cheesy picture. Where are y'all with your news anyway?

May 23, 2022
2 Dell offers of admission from WL

Up For Grabs Again
1 spot relinquished at U of Houston, IS

Last edited:
Good job guys! Let's keep those acceptances coming!

Texas Roundup May 28, 2022

May 17, 2022

1 A&M offer of admission from WL, accepted

May 26, 2022
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS, declined
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, deciding between this and OOS school

May 27, 2022
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

Up For Grabs Again: (May 28, 2022)
1 spot relinquished at McGovern, IS (accepted at an OOS MD)

Share your news!

Last edited:
Texas Roundup June 1, 2022

May 26, 2022

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM (got in to OOS MD)

May 31, 2022
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL (IS, exact date unknown)

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCU

Don't keep your good news to yourselves, y'all!

Last edited:
Texas Roundup June 3, 2022

June 2, 2022

1 UWSOM offer of admission from WL, declined

June 3, 2022

1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, OOS
1 TCU offer of admission from WL
1 TCU offer of admission from WL, deciding between this & prior OOS acceptance eventually declined, 6/8

Last edited:
Can we expect any more significant WL movement or is it safe to say everything is pretty much done by this point?

Can we expect any more significant WL movement or is it safe to say everything is pretty much done by this point?
If you go by the number of open "help me decide school x vs school y" threads, with people still holding several seats, I would say there are still going to be some WL offers in June.
The other factor is that SDN members are sharing their news a lot less than they used to, so the low number of offers I have posted up in the last 3 weeks could just be that.

Texas Roundup June 6, 2022

June 6, 2022

1 TCU offer of admission from WL, declined
2 A&M offers of admission from WL, IS

Don't be shy, share your news!

Last edited:
Texas Roundup June 10, 2022

June 8, 2022

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at TCU (got in to favorite OOS school)

June 10, 2022
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL

Last edited:
Texas Roundup June 17, 2022

June 16, 2022

2 UIWSOM offers of admission (1 deciding between this & another school)

Spill the beans, who else has some news?

Last edited:
question for texas apps:
are the "minimums" for general (ie AMCAS non TX) the same as in TX?
what would you say are the minimum required clinical/nonclinical volunteering/shadowing and GPA/MCAT for these schools? I've read on here in the past that TX schools love high GPAs more than other places so I'm curious

(I'm not looking to hit the bare minimum obviously, but I want to see if my work thus far will make me competitive. There's a very specific state school I'd love to attend, not UTSW or Baylor, and I'm wondering how realistic that'd be for me)

question for texas apps:
are the "minimums" for general (ie AMCAS non TX) the same as in TX?
what would you say are the minimum required clinical/nonclinical volunteering/shadowing and GPA/MCAT for these schools? I've read on here in the past that TX schools love high GPAs more than other places so I'm curious

(I'm not looking to hit the bare minimum obviously, but I want to see if my work thus far will make me competitive. There's a very specific state school I'd love to attend, not UTSW or Baylor, and I'm wondering how realistic that'd be for me)
for hours I would say 50 hours shadowing and 100-150 each clinical and nonclinical volunteering.
Very few TMDSAS schools state a minimum GPA & MCAT

Image-1-10.png

This is either the slowest, most boring wait-list season ever, or people aren't posting on SDN the way they used to.
Maybe a bit of both.

I'll keep this thread open another week or two, then shut it down for the year.

View attachment 356738

This is either the slowest, most boring wait-list season ever, or people aren't posting on SDN the way they used to.
Maybe a bit of both.

I'll keep this thread open another week or two, then shut it down for the year.
I think it absolutely is both. Certainly on the AMCAS side of the wall, which probably bleeds over to TMDSAS.

Schools just seem to indulge in a lot less over acceptance than back when they had the MAR, and this inevitably leads to less musical chairs in the beginning of May. The slower WL movement, in turn, makes people more self conscious about posting, since there would be a greater chance of doxing themselves.

JMHO, but this is what I've observed over the past few years. It does seem to be a little quieter each year since 2019.

Last edited:
Baylor joining TMDSAS match probably ironed out a lot of late waitlist musical chairs that happened in previous cycles.

Texas Roundup July 1, 2022

June 30, 2022

1 A & M offer of admission from WL

July 1, 2022

"It ain't over till it's over!" - Yogi Berra

Last edited:
We're pretty much done for the 2021-2022 TMDSAS cycle, y'all.

Most of the schools are starting or have begun orientation, so wait list offers now are unlikely.

If you're a Texan who's reapplying or just finding SDN, join us over here for the 2022-2023 page:

• Care
Status
Not open for further replies.