The Residency Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any facts about if residency slots are going to expand or not? The projected doctor shortage is only going to get worse if the number of residencies aren't also expanded. Where will all those increased number of med school students go after they graduate?

Any information is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know any facts about if residency slots are going to expand or not? The projected doctor shortage is only going to get worse if the number of residencies aren't also expanded. Where will all those increased number of med school students go after they graduate?

Any information is appreciated.
I'm confused here, there are thousands of unfilled residencies every year, please what are you talking about?

There is a physician shortage, so real that AMCA has call for a 30% increase in enrollment in LCME medical school by 2015, BUT this is going to be difficult because the federal government has frozen the residency positions since 1996 because they provide funding for ACGME residencies through te medicare trust fund.

I heard in one of my interviews last month that every year 8,000 docs go into retirement and only 3000 come out of residency!!!

Here is an informative Q&A with one of the first guys who questioned this "doctor surplus" and made people realize about the "doctor shortage":

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/interviews/2007/3401dr_rich_cooper.html

And here is a video and article about the residency shortage:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/532152

The Director of ACGME even talks about how the "caps on residencies" must be removed. He says that the 30% increase called by the AAMC will only add the number of US MDs and DOs that equals the number of IMGs. He wants to increase the output of residency slots available.