The Road to Med School!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

true2life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is going to be the year for me!

I applied last year thinking I was going to do strictly MD (and only to OH schools), got an interview at OSU, didn't get accepted. I decided to look in to osteopathic medicine, fell in love with it, applied in Jan to OU-HCOM and LECOM and actually got an interview and waitlisted at OU. However, I am still here :thumbdown:

Anyways, I applied strictly DO this year, much earlier than last year and am determined to get in.

GPA is 3.49
MCAT is 28S
Lots of extracurricular and some research. I'm also relatively nontraditional with a BA in political science (I'm finishing up my bio degree this year).

Here's where I'm at school wise at this point:

Interviewing
ATSU - Nov
WVSOM - Friday!!!!

File Complete and Waiting on Interview Request
CUSOM - On Hold
KYCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM
MSU
MUCOM
MWU
NYCOM
OU-HCOM
PCOM
VCOM

Finishing Secondary
DMU
KCUMB
RowanSOM
TouroCOM
UNECOM

With the schools my file is complete at (LECOM for example since Aug 21st), what should I be doing? I know the admissions process is rolling and don't want to end up competing for just a few spots like I was last cycle. Any tips?

Back to work!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Confirm with schools that they have received everything and make sure you are absolutely complete.

If there is anything on your application that needs to be updated then now would be the time to do it.

The only other thing you can do is wait and hope.

I submitted my secondaries a little late and regret it. Everyone else is interviewing right now and I only have one II.

I would be surprised if you don't get at least 4 more interviews. Probably 6+

Members don't see this ad :)
Even at this time of the cycle, you'll be fine.

Hey guys, this is going to be the year for me!

I applied last year thinking I was going to do strictly MD (and only to OH schools), got an interview at OSU, didn't get accepted. I decided to look in to osteopathic medicine, fell in love with it, applied in Jan to OU-HCOM and LECOM and actually got an interview and waitlisted at OU. However, I am still here :thumbdown:

Anyways, I applied strictly DO this year, much earlier than last year and am determined to get in.

GPA is 3.49
MCAT is 28S
Lots of extracurricular and some research. I'm also relatively nontraditional with a BA in political science (I'm finishing up my bio degree this year).

Here's where I'm at school wise at this point:

Interviewing
ATSU - Nov
WVSOM - Friday!!!!

File Complete and Waiting on Interview Request
CUSOM
KYCOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM
MSU
MUCOM
MWU
OU-HCOM
PCOM
VCOM

Finishing Secondary
DMU
KCUMB
NYCOM
RowanSOM
TouroCOM
UNECOM

With the schools my file is complete at (LECOM for example since Aug 21st), what should I be doing? I know the admissions process is rolling and don't want to end up competing for just a few spots like I was last cycle. Any tips?

Back to work!!

Interviewed at WVSOM yesterday and feel really good about how things went. Will know the decision in 2-3 weeks!!

Looks good to me! All the best. Why apply to UNECOM though? Have any ties to New England?

Attend the college fair
Graduate & Professional Fair University of British Columbia - Vancouver, British Columbia - 10/3/13
College Fair University of New Hampshire - Durham, New Hampshire 10/3/13
for more info visit xusom website

Do you want the OP to commit a career suicide?

Accepted to WVSOM! Looks like this log is going to be shorter than I thought, lol! I wasn't expecting such a quick acceptance.

Now that I have an acceptance, I'm not going to complete the remaining secondaries as I had no compelling reason to want to attend those schools other than the fact that I want to be a doctor.

I really really liked WVSOM and would be happy to go there but am a little concerned about the price (almost 50k out of state), especially relative to OU (about 23k in state). I don't think I'll be getting an education worth 100k more at WVSOM. That being said, I really really liked it, even more than I liked OU at my interview this past March. I have been thinking about doing rural medicine more and more and WVSOM would be a great choice for that. The biggest downside I see to it (besides the cost) is that it isn't hooked up to a big hospital. Lol, more like a clinic or urgent care center at best.

I just didn't connect with the vibe at OU like I did at WVSOM. It was the whole thing, the town, the people, the southern vibe. I don't really get in to the hipster vibe I felt at OU though I really did like their staff.

I just don't know. I would still like to get an acceptance to OU at least so I have the option to really consider both and choose.

Accepted to WVSOM! Looks like this log is going to be shorter than I thought, lol! I wasn't expecting such a quick acceptance.

Now that I have an acceptance, I'm not going to complete the remaining secondaries as I had no compelling reason to want to attend those schools other than the fact that I want to be a doctor.

I really really liked WVSOM and would be happy to go there but am a little concerned about the price (almost 50k out of state), especially relative to OU (about 23k in state). I don't think I'll be getting an education worth 100k more at WVSOM. That being said, I really really liked it, even more than I liked OU at my interview this past March. I have been thinking about doing rural medicine more and more and WVSOM would be a great choice for that. The biggest downside I see to it (besides the cost) is that it isn't hooked up to a big hospital. Lol, more like a clinic or urgent care center at best.

I just didn't connect with the vibe at OU like I did at WVSOM. It was the whole thing, the town, the people, the southern vibe. I don't really get in to the hipster vibe I felt at OU though I really did like their staff.

I just don't know. I would still like to get an acceptance to OU at least so I have the option to really consider both and choose.

I should've applied to OU :p

WVSOM and Lewisburg are pretty cool though, for real

I don't know if you've considered it yet, but one thing to remember is that when you're working in a smaller hospital, you have a lot more face time with the patients and you'll get to do more procedures simply because there aren't as many students/residents/fellow to share the cases with like you'd have at a tertiary care hospital.

Either way, congratulations! WVSOM is a great school and I've heard very positive things about it!

Both OU-HCOM and WVSOM are great schools. My girlfriend and our roommate both graduated from WVSOM, and they really enjoyed their time there. The only major downside I've heard from the both of them is that, yes, OOS tuition and cost of living are above average. Also, there were a few issues with 3rd and 4th year rotations. But, beyond that, I've heard nothing but the best. In the end, every school has its issues. Nothing and nowhere are perfect. That said, WVSOM offers great opportunities in a pretty cool little town and later on statewide (even after graduation). Check out if they offer reduced tuition or money after graduation if you were to commit to rural medicine in the state.

After looking over my acceptance letter, I've got a question for you guys.

WVSOM says they want all completed transcripts and even though I have already graduated, I'm still in school finishing a second degree. This semester has been rough for a number of reasons and at this point (obviously with time for improvement) I'm sitting on a C in one class, a B in another, an A, and a borberline A/B. That represents a drop in performance, and even though it could be worse, its got me freaked out. I'm not asking this so that I can determine the lowest threshold I need to shoot for but but to ease my mind. I don't want to lose this acceptance.

What kind of grades would jeopardize my acceptance? I am confident I can raise the C to at least a B and probably pull A's in everything else. I would just feel a lot better and a lot less pressure knowing that I don't have to pull nearly straight A's in order to hang on to this acceptance.

Thoughts?

And my application to Campbell was put on hold.

After looking over my acceptance letter, I've got a question for you guys.

WVSOM says they want all completed transcripts and even though I have already graduated, I'm still in school finishing a second degree. This semester has been rough for a number of reasons and at this point (obviously with time for improvement) I'm sitting on a C in one class, a B in another, an A, and a borberline A/B. That represents a drop in performance, and even though it could be worse, its got me freaked out. I'm not asking this so that I can determine the lowest threshold I need to shoot for but but to ease my mind. I don't want to lose this acceptance.

What kind of grades would jeopardize my acceptance? I am confident I can raise the C to at least a B and probably pull A's in everything else. I would just feel a lot better and a lot less pressure knowing that I don't have to pull nearly straight A's in order to hang on to this acceptance.

Thoughts?

And my application to Campbell was put on hold.

Is the potential C in a pre-req? If not, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. Just pass.

No, it's broken down like this:

Immunology - C
Field Ecology - A
Animal Physiology - B
Animal Physiology Lab - A/B

And I am confident I can bring the C up to a B.... we've only had one exam. I am just not sure what they are expecting me to get and what kind of grades would get me booted out of the class.

Last edited:
No, it's broken down like this:

Immunology - C
Field Ecology - A
Animal Physiology - B
Animal Physiology Lab - A/B

And I am confident I can bring the C up to a B.... we've only had one exam. I am just not sure what they are expecting me to get and what kind of grades would get me booted out of the class.

You'd probably have to fail to be at real risk. They just ask for your transcripts out of completeness and to make sure you passed your classes.

Fairly certain the only thing that would cause an acceptance to be rescinded would be not completing pre-reqs (or obtaining a C- or lower in at least one). Goro can confirm or deny.

My grades this semester certainly aren't on par with my past performance because making money is now my main priority and school is suffering because of it.