Advice, opinions, chances, getting into medschool and road to recovery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midnight786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
My name is Rapheal and I would like to discuss my possibilities of getting into Medical school. So far I have goofed off quite a bit my first 2 and a half years of college. I never really had any sense of motivation or determination. Therefore I resulted in a below 2.0 GPA. After some time I decided that I wanted to change my life and take responsibility of my actions and correct myself and attempt to become a medical doctor for I have had my eye on this profession for quite some time. I feel quite discouraged because my academic records are ridiculously low in proportion to other applicants. I have retaken biology 2 almost 4 times because I was not mature and goofed off. I have retaken chemistry almost 3 times all and physics about 2 times. But this was all because I had a taste of freedom and partying. Right now I am turning back from all of that and have raised my GPA almost to a 2.1. I have about 50 college credit hours and so I just wanted some advice from people who can help me. I understand I am in a very great situation, for I do not have any excuse about these low grades but I do plan on focusing and attempting to get A's for the rest of my semester until i get my Biology degree. I have started shadowing doctors and began to apply for research opportunities, but my first priority is GPA and MCAT. I believe that it is time for me to move forward for 2 and a half years of foolish and irresponsibility is more then enough. I do not wish to quit just because things are bad. I wish to do everything possible before I know for a fact there is no chance of medical school but like most people on this website and most individuals who are on the road to medicine, I do wish to keep moving forward despite the odds against me. The questions I would like to ask are; What will medical schools say regarding my first 2 and a half years? How should I present a response to those first 2 years? What are my chances if I do my absolute best and manage to get a 4.0 for the rest of the remaining semesters and manage a decent score on the MCAT? Am I even qualified for Medical schools even though I started off bad? What are some things I can do to recover besides getting spot on grades and MCAT? What are some things I can do that will boost my chances for Medical School. I understand I have stared off low but my intention is to finish strong.

Lastly I just want to humbly thank anyone who responds to this Thread and I would like if anyone who wants to reply please be honest. I already know how deep of a situation I am in and I am not here for motivation or some comfort (though if you want to I do not mind :) ). Speak as if you would give advice to a friend no matter how blunt you wish to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Once again I would like to thank whoever helps with any sort of advice or reply for helping me in my darkest moments.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get your cGPA and sGPA above 3.0, kill the MCAT (for DO standards, like 510+), and have a good personal statement/reinvention story then I'd say you have a chance for DO. Take semesters with a large amount of credits and science classes so you can boost your GPA further. Killing the MCAT will be key.

Reactions: 1 user
Good afternoon,
My name is Rapheal and I would like to discuss my possibilities of getting into Medical school. So far I have goofed off quite a bit my first 2 and a half years of college. I never really had any sense of motivation or determination. Therefore I resulted in a below 2.0 GPA. After some time I decided that I wanted to change my life and take responsibility of my actions and correct myself and attempt to become a medical doctor for I have had my eye on this profession for quite some time. I feel quite discouraged because my academic records are ridiculously low in proportion to other applicants. I have retaken biology 2 almost 4 times because I was not mature and goofed off. I have retaken chemistry almost 3 times all and physics about 2 times. But this was all because I had a taste of freedom and partying. Right now I am turning back from all of that and have raised my GPA almost to a 2.1. I have about 50 college credit hours and so I just wanted some advice from people who can help me. I understand I am in a very great situation, for I do not have any excuse about these low grades but I do plan on focusing and attempting to get A's for the rest of my semester until i get my Biology degree. I have started shadowing doctors and began to apply for research opportunities, but my first priority is GPA and MCAT. I believe that it is time for me to move forward for 2 and a half years of foolish and irresponsibility is more then enough. I do not wish to quit just because things are bad. I wish to do everything possible before I know for a fact there is no chance of medical school but like most people on this website and most individuals who are on the road to medicine, I do wish to keep moving forward despite the odds against me. The questions I would like to ask are; What will medical schools say regarding my first 2 and a half years? How should I present a response to those first 2 years? What are my chances if I do my absolute best and manage to get a 4.0 for the rest of the remaining semesters and manage a decent score on the MCAT? Am I even qualified for Medical schools even though I started off bad? What are some things I can do to recover besides getting spot on grades and MCAT? What are some things I can do that will boost my chances for Medical School. I understand I have stared off low but my intention is to finish strong.

Lastly I just want to humbly thank anyone who responds to this Thread and I would like if anyone who wants to reply please be honest. I already know how deep of a situation I am in and I am not here for motivation or some comfort (though if you want to I do not mind :) ). Speak as if you would give advice to a friend no matter how blunt you wish to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Once again I would like to thank whoever helps with any sort of advice or reply for helping me in my darkest moments.

Ask @Goro. I think you may have to consider alternative career paths.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask @Goro. I think you may have to consider alternative career paths.
Why do you say that? Is there legitimately nothing I can do to recover from this? I understand I goofed off a bit to much but is there nothing I can do now?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Why do you say that? Is there legitimately nothing I can do to recover from this? I understand I goofed off a bit to much but is there nothing I can do now?

I feel that you would need many years of reinvention to overcome from this. At that point it may be easier to find an alternative career path. Now that there isn't a grade replacement policy, you will absolutely need all 4.0 GPA's from here on out with a much harder course load to convince adcoms you have matured.

It isn't impossible. It is just improbable. Again, @Goro may give better advice.

How many years would you think?? I understand the new policy which was heartbreaking for me. I do understand I'll need all A's and that's what I hope to do. For now I am not interested in another career besides medicine. I have considered going to something else but I still have my mind fixed on medicine

More than the amount of years you will be in undergrad

How do I get a hold of this @Goro person
I feel that you would need many years of reinvention to overcome from this. At that point it may be easier to find an alternative career path. Now that there isn't a grade replacement policy, you will absolutely need all 4.0 GPA's from here on out with a much harder course load to convince adcoms you have matured.

It isn't impossible. It is just improbable. Again, @Goro may give better advice.

I have about 50 college credit hours and so I just wanted some advice from people who can help me.
Thats the one good thing you've got going. Your GPA is in the dumps but at least its not like > 120 credits. Have you taken any of the pre-reqs? If so you are probably going to have to retake those.

What will medical schools say regarding my first 2 and a half years? How should I present a response to those first 2 years?
Depends on how to steer the conversation. If you display yourself as a reinvention applicant it can help. If you play the victim card you won't have a good chance. Right now I would not worry about the application stage. You need to focus on making yourself competitive.

What are my chances if I do my absolute best and manage to get a 4.0 for the rest of the remaining semesters and manage a decent score on the MCAT?
Your chances are good at getting in somewhere as long as you clear the 3.0 (Some 3.25) screen. Thats what will determine where you apply. Wont matter how well you did if you don't even make it to an ADCOM.

Am I even qualified for Medical schools even though I started off bad?

I don't know yet. Everybody says what you are referring to. "I will try harder, get straight As this semester". I'm glad you understand that your study methods right now aren't cutting it but knowing is half the battle. Right now you need to find what works for you and what doesn't. Go see your schools academic success counselor! Get a game-plan for the current semester.

What are some things I can do to recover besides getting spot on grades and MCAT? What are some things I can do that will boost my chances for Medical School.
Best thing you can do right now is focus only on your school work. Personally I would suggest cutting out all extracurriculars. You haven't proven you can handle college yet with your current GPA.

I have retaken biology 2 almost 4 times because I was not mature and goofed off. I have retaken chemistry almost 3 times all and physics about 2 times.

This doesn't seem like just "goofing off". I would think that your best course of action would be to ace everything you take going forward, but take some time off, work, and then do a Postbac or SMP to show that you're up to snuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Thats the one good thing you've got going. Your GPA is in the dumps but at least its not like > 120 credits. Have you taken any of the pre-reqs? If so you are probably going to have to retake those.

Depends on how to steer the conversation. If you display yourself as a reinvention applicant it can help. If you play the victim card you won't have a good chance. Right now I would not worry about the application stage. You need to focus on making yourself competitive.

Your chances are good at getting in somewhere as long as you clear the 3.0 (Some 3.25) screen. Thats what will determine where you apply. Wont matter how well you did if you don't even make it to an ADCOM.

I don't know yet. Everybody says what you are referring to. "I will try harder, get straight As this semester". I'm glad you understand that your study methods right now aren't cutting it but knowing is half the battle. Right now you need to find what works for you and what doesn't. Go see your schools academic success counselor! Get a game-plan for the current semester.

Best thing you can do right now is focus only on your school work. Personally I would suggest cutting out all extracurriculars. You haven't proven you can handle college yet with your current GPA.
Of course. I understand and thank you for your reply. I am not trying to make false statements. It's embarrassing to say all this. But above all I just wanted to know if there is still a small window opportunity. I just wanted to make sure I can still work and get what I want before it's to late. I guess I wanted to know if the battle is already lost before It even begun

This doesn't seem like just "goofing off". I would think that your best course of action would be to ace everything you take going forward, but take some time off, work, and then do a Postbac or SMP to show that you're up to snuff.
Maybe your right. If I do take some time off and then come back and hopefully Ace everything and get a decent MCAT score will the probability of getting into med school still be low or will it be better?

You need to ace the rest of undergrad, ace the MCAT, and then ace an SMP. You might be able to potentially avoid the SMP depending on how well you do the first two. 4+ semesters of 4.0 and a 513+ MCAT would get you into contention at a good number of schools

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly you have two choices: 1) work your tail off for more than likely 3+ years and do really well on the MCAT and then MAYBE you'd be able to get into one/two schools (big maybe) or 2) cut your losses and consider a different career path. One that I always try to recommend to people (with varying success) is podiatry. You could do about a year and a half to two more work then go to medical school and do surgery if you'd like. Yeah feet suck but you can make a damn good living and you'll still be a Dr.
Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Take out the calculator and see what you can get your cGPA and sGPA to with a certain amount of credits with different averages. Say you took 70 more credits (roughly 5 semesters of 18 credits) at 4.0 average, 3.9 average, 3.8 average, etc. and see what your GPA comes out to.

You need to ace the rest of undergrad, ace the MCAT, and then ace an SMP. You might be able to potentially avoid the SMP depending on how well you do the first two. 4+ semesters of 4.0 and a 513+ MCAT would get you into contention at a good number of schools

OP, the fact that you potentially don't need an SMP means that you're in really good shape (I'd say you definitely should to make sure you get in somewhere above decent). You might not get into medical school in the next few years, but within the decade is very reasonable. I'm assuming you're around 20, correct? You can find a large number of people here starting medical school in their 30's, and even 40's! This is a marathon, not a sprint. People live to there 80's so that's potentially 40+ years of being a doctor.

You can recover from 50 credits (assuming those include all the retakes since grade replacement is no more). If you get a 3.8+ for your next 70 credits you should be able to get above a 3.0 cGPA and possibly a 3.3 sGPA depending on how many of those 50 credits are non-science. That only with a killer MCAT 510+ should be enough to get you into a DO school. Some schools weigh heavily on overall cGPA and sGPA and some schools weigh more heavily on the last 2 or 3 years of course work. Obviously schools that weigh all coursework from every year the same would be tough as you would be well below the average matriculate student but schools that put heavy emphases on the past 2-3 years may see you as an above average student.

The next few semesters will tell you if you have what it takes. If you net less than a 3.6gpa in the next year, I would say DO is not going to happen and your only option would be the Caribbean (50-50 shot of becoming a physician or getting stuck with life crippling debt after failing out before year 3). You need to prove to yourself that you can handle med school before you worry about getting in. Getting in doesn't matter if you don't have the work ethic to pass (let alone get B's & A's) basic undergrad courses.

I came back from a 1.37 GPA from my first year (so 30+ credits). I got up to a 3.3 with no retakes. I took a TON of credits at 4.0 in a short period of time, mostly via community college. I got a 95th percentile MCAT score (high 30s on the old scale). And I had lots of clinical volunteering and work experience.

So, it can be done. You just have to want to do it, and put in the work.

I came back from a 1.37 GPA from my first year (so 30+ credits). I got up to a 3.3 with no retakes. I took a TON of credits at 4.0 in a short period of time, mostly via community college. I got a 95th percentile MCAT score (high 30s on the old scale). And I had lots of clinical volunteering and work experience.

So, it can be done. You just have to want to do it, and put in the work.
I hope it can be done. And I plan on it As well. I know this is a very very interesting thread and I hope that I recover. I Just wanted to know how hard of a battle do I face which is now clear that I will have to bust my butt now. I will not say I hope to or I will but I will try and update everyone on my progress. I hope that you and other continue to educate me as I progress forward. As long as I know it can be done. That is all I needed was the fact of knowing that it still can be done despite knowing how hard it will be. I have messed around to much so yes I believe that it is now time to prove my worth. I want to thank you and everyone for educating me and telling me the harsh reality and i accept this. I wish for you and Everyone to CONTINUE to educate me. I am aware of the fact that this is Entirely dependent on me and my effort, I just wanted to know if there is still a chance to turn everything around.

I hope it can be done. And I plan on it As well. I know this is a very very interesting thread and I hope that I recover. I Just wanted to know how hard of a battle do I face which is now clear that I will have to bust my butt now. I will not say I hope to or I will but I will try and update everyone on my progress. I hope that you and other continue to educate me as I progress forward. As long as I know it can be done. That is all I needed was the fact of knowing that it still can be done despite knowing how hard it will be. I have messed around to much so yes I believe that it is now time to prove my worth. I want to thank you and everyone for educating me and telling me the harsh reality and i accept this. I wish for you and Everyone to CONTINUE to educate me. I am aware of the fact that this is Entirely dependent on me and my effort, I just wanted to know if there is still a chance to turn everything around.
I don't want to discourage you, give it your best shot. But it is a very competitive world, and you need to come up with a 2nd and 3rd career alternative if you ultimately do not make the cut to get into a DO program. I've seen students attend various Master's (SMP) programs and still not make the cut. Other students have taken alternate paths and are third time re-applicants with no luck. So to reiterate, strive for your dreams but be realistic and have back-up career plans in mind as well.

Have you thought about donating a few million to a newer DO school? That may help your chances a bit.

Go business. If you were gonna be a successful doc you have the drive to make bigger cash in business.

Last edited:
I don't want to discourage you, give it your best shot. But it is a very competitive world, and you need to come up with a 2nd and 3rd career alternative if you ultimately do not make the cut to get into a DO program. I've seen students attend various Master's (SMP) programs and still not make the cut. Other students have taken alternate paths and are third time re-applicants with no luck. So to reiterate, strive for your dreams but be realistic and have back-up career plans in mind as well.
Why is it so unlikely I'll get in even if I do everything right this time. Say I get a 4.0 for every class I take even if I get 4.0 in classes much harder then bio2 and chem 2. What if I give it all In the next 3 or 4 years and do pretty good on the MCAT and everything else is spot on. Why is it so hard to come back from the first bad two years of undergrad? I'm not getting discouraged, I'm merely confused that it feels like nothing I can do will fix the first two years of bad grades. I'm not going to start looking at different career choices because I still haven't given up. I'm not just going to quit bc the first two years I goofed off and now the next three I plan on getting serious. My second career choice may be nursing or parmedicine or a medical lab scientist. But I will consider them if I know for a fact I can't get into med school.

Say I get a 4.0 for every class I take even if I get 4.0 in classes much harder then bio2 and chem 2. What if I give it all In the next 3 or 4 years and do pretty good on the MCAT and everything else is spot on.

Simply put, because this is extremely hard to do. That is what is very unlikely. If you do it then yeah you have a decent chance but everyone who gets bad grades says they are going to turn things around, get a 4.0 the rest of their college career, and wreck the MCAT. Most people don't achieve those things because words are easy, actually doing them is something else entirely.

Simply put, because this is extremely hard to do. That is what is very unlikely. If you do it then yeah you have a decent chance but everyone who gets bad grades says they are going to turn things around, get a 4.0 the rest of their college career, and wreck the MCAT. Most people don't achieve those things because words are easy, actually doing them is something else entirely.
Your right. Then I'll just do my best and see what happens. thank you all for helping me. Seriously any other advice is greatly appreciated and everyone thank you for the you helped educate me :) I hope to update you all on my progress

Why is it so unlikely I'll get in even if I do everything right this time. Say I get a 4.0 for every class I take even if I get 4.0 in classes much harder then bio2 and chem 2. What if I give it all In the next 3 or 4 years and do pretty good on the MCAT and everything else is spot on. Why is it so hard to come back from the first bad two years of undergrad? I'm not getting discouraged, I'm merely confused that it feels like nothing I can do will fix the first two years of bad grades. I'm not going to start looking at different career choices because I still haven't given up. I'm not just going to quit bc the first two years I goofed off and now the next three I plan on getting serious. My second career choice may be nursing or parmedicine or a medical lab scientist. But I will consider them if I know for a fact I can't get into med school.

It's not impossible, but it is a hard road. And mathematically you have no room for error from here on out to get your gpa above a 3.0. And I think everyone here knows that as determined as you might be sometimes you just might get that Professor who doesn't make any sense to you and you work your butt off and end up with a b-minus, which in your position would be one more knife in the coffin. I am currently working on coming back from a somewhat similar situation and I'm applying this summer to Med schools, it's been a long, long road, but I'm hoping the end (beginning) is in sight. Have you shadowed a physician? Given the amount of work you have ahead of you I would suggest that as a first step just to make absolutely positive this is what you want. If it is, go for it! If it's everything you want be flexible with being willing to go for a couple more years after your bachelor's degree and prereqs are done to continue proving you aren't the same person who has goofed around

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

As for the bolded text, you're not confused. This is slowly becoming the name of the game.

Also, failing biology 2 four times is extraordinary.

I would look into different career paths.

What kind of school lets you fail that many classes without expelling you?

As for the bolded text, you're not confused. This is slowly becoming the name of the game.

Also, failing biology 2 four times is extraordinary.

I would look into different career paths.

I don't have a right to talk since I failed classes myself but I haven't heard of anyone who failed intro bio classes 4 times. My uni only lets you retake a class up to two times and if you couldn't get a C or above you had to choose a different major (assuming you didn't fail other classes).