This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastSide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I graduated as a Pre-Physical Therapy Student.
After an acceptance to DPT, I turned it down to pursue a career in medicine.

I have all the prerequisites completed but have not taken BioChem (not pre-req).
My GPA (cumulative/science) hovers around 3.5.
MCAT NOT Taken.

1) Should I attend a *PostBac to enhance my chances, or...
2) take a year off to study for the MCAT in order to directly enter the DO application cycle next year? (save $$$)

*PostBac I'm interested in has a "Linkage" program with our state DO School.
Once interviewed and they like me, they will give me a cut-off GPA & MCAT score that I need to meet in order for them to save me a seat in their DO program. (this goes without saying, but the interview process itself is competitive - Not guaranteed once in PostBac)
Super beneficial, BUT $30K.

Do I stand a chance with the regular pool of applicants, or is the linkage offered through the postbac my best bet?

Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the time off and study for the MCAT. You need it no matter what you do.

If you have a 3.5, then the conversation turns towards whether you can score well on the mcat. Likewise throwing in shadowing and volunteering in medical environments. I would also seek out a DO to shadow as a good DO letter is worth a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take an MCAT practice test. That will tell you where you stand.

I'm confused - "Once interviewed and they like me, they will give me a cut-off GPA & MCAT score that I need to meet". At what point do you interview, and how sure is this? What is the percentage of people doing this program who get accepted?
30K for no guarantee seems steep, considering with a 3.5 and above average MCAT you could save the 30k and kill a year working or travel and likely do just fine elsewhere.

MCAT. Some post bac classes if you need a strong LOR, but in reality, the GPA is fine for DO and some MD schools. If you can score >505 we are looking at most DO schools and >510 a good chance at some MDs. Your SMP linked program worries me because it may cause you to rush a MCAT which you absolutely do not want to do.

Hi All,
I graduated as a Pre-Physical Therapy Student.
After an acceptance to DPT, I turned it down to pursue a career in medicine.

I have all the prerequisites completed but have not taken BioChem (not pre-req).
My GPA (cumulative/science) hovers around 3.5.
MCAT NOT Taken.

2) take a year off to study for the MCAT in order to directly enter the DO application cycle next year? (save $$$)

Once interviewed and they like me, they will give me a cut-off GPA & MCAT score that I need to meet in order for them to save me a seat in their DO program. (this goes without saying, but the interview process itself is competitive - Not guaranteed once in PostBac)

Do I stand a chance with the regular pool of applicants, or is the linkage offered through the postbac my best bet?

Any advice appreciated!

Man I feel like I could have wrote this last year. I took graduated with a 3.5 with most pre read and grad school acceptances. Here is what I would do in your specific circumstance:

1) try to take biochem anywhere nearby. If it's at a CC, that's fine. It's not required by most programs but looks really good if you did well in it. Also will help you prep for mcat, so you'd kill two birds with one stone.

2) study for the McAt now and take it in January or feb, or even March or 2018. If you do well you could apply for admission next cycle and frankly I think you stand a good shot of straight up admission.

3) get a part time healthcare job and/or shadow a DO.

You don't need an smp, unless you personally feel you need the coursework to prepare for med school. I strongly suggest you try to take a biochem night class this fall, though.

Good luck op and good for you for following your gut!

NO

You shouldn't need an entire year to study for the MCAT. Take it only when you are 100% ready, though.

Do I stand a chance with the regular pool of applicants,
YES!

Take an MCAT practice test. That will tell you where you stand.

I'm confused - "Once interviewed and they like me, they will give me a cut-off GPA & MCAT score that I need to meet". At what point do you interview, and how sure is this? What is the percentage of people doing this program who get accepted?
30K for no guarantee seems steep, considering with a 3.5 and above average MCAT you could save the 30k and kill a year working or travel and likely do just fine elsewhere.

--
This is their SECOND official year; thus, no official record has been released regarding the percentage of students who have been accepted.
But through word of mouth (previous student), 17 out of 30-40 students have been offered a linkage to the DO school. (That's a pretty solid number)
Other students voluntarily did not apply to the linkage program in order to apply broadly to MD/DO school by taking a gap year.

--
17 out of 30-40 students have been offered a linkage to the DO school. (That's a pretty solid number)
Other students voluntarily did not apply to the linkage program in order to apply broadly to MD/DO school by taking a gap year.

I don't find that ratio spectacular. And no one in a committed post bac program should be taking a gap year after a post bac, that yells "poor outcomes" to me.

Man I'd pass on this and hit the MCAT with a fury

Reactions: 1 user